With 44 reps, Dontari Poe is the Combine’s strongest man

Marshall v Memphis Getty Images

Memphis defensive tackle Dontari Poe is the strongest player at the Scouting Combine.

Poe put up 44 repetitions of 225 pounds on the bench press, making him the strongest player at any position. Poe’s mark tops Michigan center David Molk by three reps.

Prior to the Combine, Mike Mayock ranked Poe as the third-best defensive tackle in the draft, behind LSU’s Michael Brockers and Michigan State’s Jerel Worthy. The 6-foot-4, 346-pound Poe said he’s been eager to improve his draft stock through his Combine workouts.

“I’m doing everything,” Poe said. “It’s just competition. I like it. I like it all. I’ve been working out for it and just thought it’d be a good idea to do it all.”

Poe says the defensive tackles he models himself on are Casey Hampton, Ndamukong Suh and Haloti Ngata, and he said he thinks he can fit into any defensive line, in a 3-4 or a 4-3 front.

“I see myself as someone who can rush the passer a lot more than people think,” Poe said. “I am used to playing nose tackle and the 3-technique and I’ve played some 5-technique. I’m pretty comfortable anywhere on the defensive line.”

And he’s clearly very comfortable in the weight room.

Permalink 29 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
29 Responses to “With 44 reps, Dontari Poe is the Combine’s strongest man”
  1. burnzy32 says: Feb 27, 2012 8:50 AM

BEAST! would look great in black and yellow

2. purpleattack says: Feb 27, 2012 8:50 AM

I just hope he is NOT modeling himself after Ndamukong Suh personality wise. BEAST.

3. apcsteel says: Feb 27, 2012 8:52 AM

I don’t think the steelers can get him no one is going to let them jump that far to draft him

4. sportsmeccabi says: Feb 27, 2012 8:53 AM

Based off that picture, the dude wears 346 pretty well.

5. h3min1230 says: Feb 27, 2012 8:55 AM

Cue the “steelers can use him”

6. bikeman99 says: Feb 27, 2012 8:55 AM

With all his strength and great physical attributes why wasn’t he better? He didn’t make an all conference team in C-USA. Draft football players first and body builders second

7. bikeman99 says: Feb 27, 2012 9:01 AM

Steelers since 2000 have drafted a non BCS player in the first three rounds exactly 3 times.

8. stillers6 says: Feb 27, 2012 9:09 AM

This kid seems perfect for the Steelers. Upgrading at NT & inside LB are the 2 most immediate ways the Steelers can turn around their defense from an age standpoint. You can still get a top inside LB type in round 2 but your less likely to find a top flight NT there. Haven’t researched the 3-4 teams who need NT’s in front of the Steelers but my guess is somebody gets him before 24.

9. jtchernak says: Feb 27, 2012 9:23 AM

What about Vince wilfork

10. myeaglescantwin says: Feb 27, 2012 9:24 AM

this bench press talk is the dumbest thing in the world. None of these numbers impress me, FROM ANYONE BUT DBs, WRs, RBs..

how am i supposed to be impressed with a 350 pound man bench pressing 225???

225 is only 70% of body weight for a Lineman weighing 315.. thats just about a push up..!!

then you Brockers, top 10 talent- 6’7 325lbs who did 19 reps…
    are y0u kidding me??

Then all the talk is about these huge OL & DL who press the weight over 30 times.. come on !

lets talk about the 200 lb Rbs that are pressing 225 like e28 times.. thats worth mentioning..

but no, we focus on the 350 guy moving less weight than them doin push upss…. ridiculous.

11. fatcamper says: Feb 27, 2012 9:24 AM

Seems like a good run stopping NT for any 3-4. As a Cowboys fan I would love to see us draft him and allow us to try Ratliff at end a little bit more. If the experiment didn’t work we would have a pretty good rotation to keep both fresh.

A big guy like that would plug one of many holes we have going and allow us to set Spears loose.

12. shackdelrio says: Feb 27, 2012 9:25 AM

Carolina at 9 or KC at 11

13. 3yardsndust says: Feb 27, 2012 9:28 AM

Love to see Poe in a Steelers uniform. The guy is amazing.

14. ravenator says: Feb 27, 2012 9:34 AM

Steelers are so overrated. Tebow’d out of the playoffs, enough said.

15. twitter:Chapman_Jamie says: Feb 27, 2012 9:44 AM

That makes him the “strongest”? MDS you havent lifted a weight in your life. When a play lasts longer than 10 seconds let me know. The strongest guy has the heaviest max.

16. waltdawg says: Feb 27, 2012 9:45 AM

Strange that he would not model himself after Haynesworth…..Al is such a great guy.

17. clayton43 says: Feb 27, 2012 9:47 AM

This draft is perfect for Steelers and our needs !! there are three pretty big boys for NT the OL draft is deep so we will go NT first round if Poe there … if not will go best OL on board and take best NT or ILB in second and third for those picks…

18. shackdelrio says: Feb 27, 2012 9:47 AM

He would be a good fit in Pittsburgh but I don’t see him being available where they are picking. They would have to trade up.

19. pierrepoint1 says: Feb 27, 2012 10:08 AM

Another lineman that’s 100lbs over weight.

When is the NFL going to realize that their linemen have turned into sumo wrestlers?

20. bcjim says: Feb 27, 2012 10:08 AM

346# = problem.

Pass

21. thraiderskin says: Feb 27, 2012 10:30 AM

Projected third best DT and is the strongest participant at the combine? I like it and if the tape shows good gap responsibility, then I would love to have him on my teams.

22. kcrobert10 says: Feb 27, 2012 10:59 AM

Well I don’t like this guy getting pub. Because I was hoping that if richardson didn’t fall the chiefs could trade down and take him guess we will have to get him at 11.

23. dolphins4 says: Feb 27, 2012 11:02 AM

The Eagles have a really good defensive line and their line backers suck add to that this is a draft that has alot of really good defensive linemen.So look for the Eagles to draft this guy in the 1st round.This is why they haven’t won a Super Bowl they don’t know how to draft.

24. megatronownsyou says: Feb 27, 2012 11:09 AM

Was wondering how long it would take for some jagoff to make a comment about how he shouldn’t model his game after Suh. It only took until the second comment. Good job. Way to be original.
    It would appear as thought you’re a vikings fan too so maybe it would just be best for you to say nothing.

25. rippedoffhead says: Feb 27, 2012 11:54 AM

Dude just ran a 4.87 40-yard dash?!?! crazy for his size…

26. mistersmith22 says: Feb 27, 2012 12:46 PM

My god, shut up about the damn Steelers.

27. myeaglescantwin says: Feb 27, 2012 1:37 PM

then he just blew my mind running a sub 5 forty .. that kids a freak.

baltimore should trade up for this dude and run a 2-5-4 with him and gnata eating people on the DL.

28. vincentbojackson says: Feb 27, 2012 5:59 PM

ravenator says:

Steelers are so overrated. Tebow’d out of the playoffs, enough said.

————————

Ravens finally get over on their big brother and all they have to show for it is a lower draft pick and a playoff loss to a team the Steelers dominated.

29. douc66 says: Feb 28, 2012 5:42 AM

Repped 225 x 44 + 4.87 40 + weighing 347?! If he is looks as good on game tape as he does in shorts, he has just made himself a LOT of money…