Anthony Adams praises the Bears after they cut him

Divisional Playoffs - Seattle Seahawks v Chicago Bears Getty Images

Bears defensive lineman Anthony Adams was released this week, but he has no hard feelings.

In fact, Adams told Sean Jensen of the Chicago Sun-Times that he still has warm feelings for the Bears, loved his time in Chicago and completely understands the business decision the team made.

I don’t blame them,” Adams said. “I probably would have done the same thing.”

Adams also took to Twitter to thank everyone who made him feel welcome during his five years in Chicago.

“Thank You Chicago!! Thank you to all of the coaches, all of the players, all of the former greats, and to all of the die hard fans,” Adams wrote. “Special Thank You to Richard Dent for allowing me to wear #95! I did not feel comfortable wearing it, but you were so cool about it! You all have been phenomenal to my family and my growth! Chicago will always have a place in my heart. It is the city that loved me for 5 yrs! It is the city where I witnessed the births of my 3 children! It is the city where I won my first division championship! It is the city of great food and even greater people! I have never witnessed so many fans who love the players the way you do – win or lose. It has been a honor to play for you! My family and I will forever cherish all of the relationships we built and I hope this will always be a place you will let me call home! Beardown Chicago! Let them know why you’re wearing the crown!”

And that’s how to leave a job without burning any bridges.

Permalink 39 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Chicago Bears, Home, Rumor Mill
39 Responses to “Anthony Adams praises the Bears after they cut him”
  1. joetoronto says: Feb 28, 2012 11:52 AM

“I don’t blame them,” Adams said. “I probably would have done the same thing.”

Wow, how refreshing. an honest pro athlete.

Kudos’ to him.

2. nwfisch says: Feb 28, 2012 11:53 AM

What a class act.

3. cincyorangenblack says: Feb 28, 2012 11:55 AM

Being a Chicago resident, this is f*cking awesome.
    There is a certain sense of pride one has when calling themselves a Chicagoan and I’m glad Double A felt it.

4. bigjdve says: Feb 28, 2012 11:55 AM

How much you want to bet that he gets a better contract than he would’ve because of this?

This is actually a classy move that few athletes do. It is hard when you are let go from any job, but this allows people to keep a high opinion of you.

Good work.

5. enutpenfry says: Feb 28, 2012 11:55 AM

Nice way to leave town.

6. rubicon202 says: Feb 28, 2012 11:56 AM

Nice! This brother sounds like he got some money in the bank and a future outside of football!

7. cincyorangenblack says: Feb 28, 2012 11:57 AM

didn’t mean to post quite yet. Just wanted to say that The way he left/is leaving, is something pro athletes everywhere should take notice of. All too often players neglect the fans/city when they leave town, and to do it in such a classy manner as Adams, really feels like for once- this guy cares about his fans

8. citizenstrange says: Feb 28, 2012 11:57 AM

Well done Anthony Adams!

9. mialto says: Feb 28, 2012 12:00 PM

This is a class act!

10. jeremywflores says: Feb 28, 2012 12:01 PM

Very well done. 98.2% of professional athletes, take note.

11. westmantooth says: Feb 28, 2012 12:01 PM

Class act… but… wearing what crown?

12. seanx40 says: Feb 28, 2012 12:07 PM

Classy, and good PR for his next job.

13. polishkingski says: Feb 28, 2012 12:15 PM

i met him once when i was at a bears v bills game. i mean the night before the game. he was at a burger joint with his wife. really nice guy.

14. citiciti says: Feb 28, 2012 12:18 PM

Nice.

15. 49ersgiants4life says: Feb 28, 2012 12:19 PM

Lebron James decision was very classy hahaha

16. arkadyrenko says: Feb 28, 2012 12:23 PM

Well done, and here’s hoping his next gig is a good one.

17. kane337 says: Feb 28, 2012 12:24 PM

I don’t get the crown thing.

18. westmantooth says: Feb 28, 2012 12:32 PM

Honestly, a lot of dislike for the ‘what crown’ comment, but what crown? Tell me?

That’s right… no crown. No crown at all.

19. Topher says: Feb 28, 2012 12:33 PM

Ironic that Adams’ remarks after getting cut make me want to root for the Bears. If that city and that team inspires that kind of loyalty, they must be doing something right.

20. derfshambeaux says: Feb 28, 2012 12:39 PM

I prefer the George-Costanza-tell-off-your-boss-and-storm-out-of-the-building-with-both-guns-blazing approach, but hey, whatever works.

21. godofwine330 says: Feb 28, 2012 12:40 PM

Now that is how you do it. However his career turns out after this he sure made a good impression of us, the fans and any organization who may be in need of a big man.

22. n2thaizzo says: Feb 28, 2012 12:40 PM

It’d be so funny if he signs with GB and torments Chicago for the next few seasons.

23. calwilliams06 says: Feb 28, 2012 12:44 PM

Elaine Beniss approves his usage of exclamation points!!!

24. tundey says: Feb 28, 2012 12:46 PM

This is how you do it when you work in an industry with only 32 employers! Not like Fat Albert who’s still blaming the Redskins for being cut by the 3rd team in a year.

25. beardownngrunt says: Feb 28, 2012 12:57 PM

Bear down, Chicago Bears, make every play clear the way to victory;
    Bear down, Chicago Bears, put up a fight with a might so fearlessly.
    We’ll never forget the way you thrilled the nation with your T-formation.
    Bear down, Chicago Bears, and let them know why you’re wearing the crown.
    You’re the pride and joy of Illinois, Chicago Bears, bear down.

Words to the song

26. Deb says: Feb 28, 2012 12:58 PM

It is a business decision, and Adams is wise enough not to take it personally. His classy behavior will encourage other teams to take a second look and it sets him up for a Chicago media job when his playing days are over. Smart guy.

27. nikkodawg says: Feb 28, 2012 12:59 PM

The Bears fight song for those that don’t get the crown part. Bear Down!

Bear down, Chicago Bears, make every play clear the way to victory;
    Bear down, Chicago Bears, put up a fight with a might so fearlessly.
    We’ll never forget the way you thrilled the nation with your T-formation.
    Bear down, Chicago Bears, and let them know why you’re wearing the crown.
    You’re the pride and joy of Illinois, Chicago Bears, bear down.

28. brennankm46 says: Feb 28, 2012 1:08 PM

For everyone asking about the “wearing the crown segment” of AA’s message, it is part of the lyrics for the team’s fight song (“Bear Down, Chicago Bears”) which is played during touchdowns and the like.

29. brennankm46 says: Feb 28, 2012 1:10 PM

Class move, though. Everyone loves AA in and outside the locker room. Apparently, this dude is just hilarious also.

30. tformation says: Feb 28, 2012 1:16 PM

Just once I’d like to see the 2012 Bears line up in their T-Formation.

You know. Just to remind us how they thrilled the nation with it.

31. skimbell says: Feb 28, 2012 1:19 PM

All sounds nice but he’ll probably be telling the fans from his new team in Green Bay, Detroit or Minnesota the same thing next year.

32. asublimeday says: Feb 28, 2012 1:43 PM

Another class act on the bears. Scumbag lions pay attention.

33. asublimeday says: Feb 28, 2012 1:46 PM

Unless you’re a giants fan, you shouldn’t be making fun of the bears crown lyric.

34. 69finfan says: Feb 28, 2012 1:53 PM

As reported this sounds great and he seems like a class act. However, lets see if his message and tone is the same after he is signed by another team.

35. twulf10 says: Feb 28, 2012 4:02 PM

I met Anthony at Penn State. My wife was his English instructor and he would take advantage of the opportunity for assistance during her office hours. He was always interested in improving his academics. When he learned we had a son who was playing sports, Anthony took the time to give him some advice and took an interest in him. Anthony has always been a classy individual. I hope he gets picked up by a championship-level team and gets a ring!

36. westmantooth says: Feb 28, 2012 4:16 PM

Sooo… the crown is words to a song lyric. Okay. But what crown are they referring to?

37. keakuamai says: Feb 28, 2012 4:25 PM

For the skeptics, what you see is what you get. He is the real deal and walks his talk.

38. onegamedoesnotaseasonmake says: Feb 28, 2012 11:06 PM

no, no, the real words are “bear down, and drop a deuce…”

39. dawindbag says: Feb 29, 2012 3:34 PM

Good Luck out there Spice. We loved having you, and if there’s a TV job in your future there will be no shortage of offers. And if Amobi or Henry go down, be sure to leave a contact number and forwarding address.