Carl Nicks’ anxiety level: “a hundred thousand trillion”

Detroit Lions v New Orleans Saints Getty Images

Saints guard Carl Nicks is about to get guaranteed a lot of money.

He could get the franchise tag, in the event the Saints can work out a contract with Drew Brees before March 5.  Or Nicks will become one of the highest paid guards in football when he hits free agency, if not the highest paid guard.

Despite that, Nicks is getting nervous as free agency approaches.

“Man I don’t know what to do? My anxiety is on a hundred thousand trillion!…march 5 is a big day!?” Nicks wrote on Twitter this week. “I think I should start a countdown to the 5th… Stuffs getting real!”

“The 5th” is the deadline to apply the franchise tag. Nicks is lucky that Brees’ situation is playing out slowly, otherwise the Saints would never let Nicks hit the open market.  The pressure of the situation seems to be getting to Nicks. When one fan suggested Nicks was likely to leave despite the Saints giving him his opportunity, Nicks responded:

“4 years of busting my ass, no hold outs,no off the field distractions, a Super Bowl… I ain’t never forget but u might of!” Nicks said.

Permalink 64 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
64 Responses to “Carl Nicks’ anxiety level: “a hundred thousand trillion””
  1. dannyocean83 says: Feb 29, 2012 11:28 AM

Got anxiety? Try xanxex.

2. waltdawg says: Feb 29, 2012 11:30 AM

Dan Snyder,

Please relieve him of his anxiety….Let’s help this man out…And the SKINS.

sincerely,

The Fans

3. istuppingyourwhiteewe says: Feb 29, 2012 11:31 AM

cheers dr evil!

4. haileli says: Feb 29, 2012 11:34 AM

There are hundreds of fringe players who are losing sleep wondering whether or not they’ll even receive an offer in the next couple of months. Nicks’s big concern is over who will fork over 10s of millions? Stop whining.

5. gripless says: Feb 29, 2012 11:42 AM

We’ll take him.

Put him in Minny next to Kalil

6. brutus3413 says: Feb 29, 2012 11:45 AM

I saw that number in the headline and thought I had stumbled upon a Huffington Post article about the national debt.

7. ningenito78 says: Feb 29, 2012 11:47 AM

He’s not hitting the open market. Brees will get done before the deadline and he’ll get franchised. Book it.

8. calwilliams06 says: Feb 29, 2012 11:48 AM

Yeah, you have to feel for Nicks. Just imagine how stressful it is to not know how many millions you’re going to be paid for living the dream of playing in the NFL…

Un-frickin-believable.

9. thinwhiteduke76 says: Feb 29, 2012 11:51 AM

You can expect him to come back and the rest of the Saints Offensive line.

They would be crazy to let anyone on that line go. Brees went entire games without getting sacked near the end of the year, and the only teams that could get to him were someone like SF who can get pressure.

10. makhan250 says: Feb 29, 2012 11:53 AM

His anxiety level… is over 9000!

11. jimmygrahamchrisivory says: Feb 29, 2012 11:54 AM

Don’t have a stroke or heart attack there big guy.

12. gcsuk says: Feb 29, 2012 11:55 AM

Golly gee whillikers, Beaver. That sure is a mighty big number!!!!

What is this guy, four years old?

13. weneedlinemen42 says: Feb 29, 2012 11:56 AM

I know I’d be anxious. In a few days Nicks could be filthy rich.

Or he could hit free agency and become really, obscenely rich.

14. gcsuk says: Feb 29, 2012 11:58 AM

———————————————————————-

Wow, 4 whole years of acting like an adult, doing your job, and not getting arrested…how commendable.

15. rastaraider says: Feb 29, 2012 11:58 AM

Hartnell college baby

16. jagsfan1 says: Feb 29, 2012 12:02 PM

“It’s a stressful for time for Nicks and a lot of NFL players. In Nicks’ case, there’s a great chance that he’ll be celebrating a monster contract before too long.”

Um…where is the stress in this?…he might have to change his home phone number if he gets his 50 million from a team other than the Saints?

Give me a break

17. mikeeg says: Feb 29, 2012 12:05 PM

Ya, getting millions of guaranteed money would stress me as well….

18. lionfan419 says: Feb 29, 2012 12:05 PM

Like to see himin Detroit, but we have no money!!!

19. sabotage2u says: Feb 29, 2012 12:05 PM

I hope the Saints screw this up, because the Buc’s will gladly pick up one of the best guard in the league & hurt a division rival. They got the cap space to do it & will back the Brinks truck up that few teams can compete with if he hits the open market.

20. joekappedyourass says: Feb 29, 2012 12:18 PM

We’ll take him.

Put him in Minny next to Kalil
    ——————————–
    I went to highschool with his wife in the cities. I tell her all the time to come home and bring her husband to the vikings

21. hailvictory44 says: Feb 29, 2012 12:22 PM

The Saint’s should’ve already taken care of Nicks, and if they don’t before it’s too late, I hope he comes to DC. He’ll fit nicely next to Trent Williams and maybe even set a good example for the guy to keep improving.

22. yankeemofo says: Feb 29, 2012 12:22 PM

I just lost my job yesterday because the company shut down. Do you really think I give a rat’s testicle how much this moron is expected to receive?

23. clayton43 says: Feb 29, 2012 12:24 PM

Would be liking winning the lottery but them telling you that you have to wait a month or two to collect.. I probaly would sleep at night either lol lol Good for him, although I know the Saints fans want to keep him but either way he is going to cash in. I wouldnt want to leave the house for fear of something dumb happening and ending career !! lol lol

24. pdxpanther says: Feb 29, 2012 12:24 PM

Times infinity.

“march 5 is a big day!?”
    “I’m Ron Burgundy?”

25. rodgers419 says: Feb 29, 2012 12:25 PM

“Or Nicks will become one of the highest paid guards in football when he hits free agency, if not the highest paid guard.”

and I’ve never head of this guy’s name before…

26. mialto says: Feb 29, 2012 12:28 PM

Chicago Bears can help ease that anxiety

27. inishul says: Feb 29, 2012 12:30 PM

brutus3413 says: Feb 29, 2012 11:45 AM

_____________________________________

I take you are talking about the same debt that Bush ran up, which Obama has started to turn around?

28. goawayeverybody says: Feb 29, 2012 12:31 PM

He’ll get his big money, but it will be at the expense of Marques Colston, Robert Meachem and the Saints will not be able to bring back Shaun Rogers or Aubrayo Franklin.

29. damnyoulinelliot says: Feb 29, 2012 12:34 PM

Mathletes.

30. pskotte says: Feb 29, 2012 12:37 PM

Carl, you will look good in Bengal stripes. We have lots of green – come to papa.

31. havok82 says: Feb 29, 2012 12:42 PM

________________________________
    LMFAO….really? Do you even WATCH the news? The national debt is up around 40% since Obama took office. Health Care bill mean anything to you? Good lord….Bush may not have been that great, but you are out of your gourd if you think this joker is turning ANYTHING around.

32. shadowgm1 says: Feb 29, 2012 12:49 PM

If we can glean anything from this story, it’s that Carl Nicks forgets everything he learned in math class about number sequencing when he gets stressed. “…a hundred thousand trillion!” – good stuff.

33. inishul says: Feb 29, 2012 12:49 PM

_____________________________________

Keep spewing nonsense. Regurgitate what FNC tells you. Sheep will be sheep

34. purplehayseuss says: Feb 29, 2012 1:01 PM

Perhaps someone here can explain to me why my thumbs up and down clicks won’t work.

I know I’ve been censored a few times. But some posts my input is accepted, other posts it is not.

Even in this post, some ups/downs went ‘through’ and some didn’t.

It’s frustrating as hell.

35. salmen76 says: Feb 29, 2012 1:05 PM

I have no idea why the Saints are taking so long with Bree’s contract. It should have never festered to this point. The Saints should have resigned Bree’s to an extension last season when they had the chance. The delay must be from Bree’s high demands. Maybe the Saints brass are angered at Bree’s for something. There has to be a reason and i bet it ain’t good. I would have never imagined the Saints dragging their feet so long on one of the best players the Saints have ever had. And there is no transparency at all. We have been given ZERO information on WHY it is taking so long. But with or without Bree’s if the saints don’t upgrade their high school defense the saints will get bounced in the playoffs again for the 3rd year in a row to an inferior team again on the road again to an NFC West team again. And the Saints lost to the Rams last year when they were win-less and they are also a scrub NFC West team. In fact the Saints will NOT EVER have home-field advantage again if they don’t upgrade their pathetic defense. Drew Bree’s will never be able to outscore the opponents all the time. The Saints have to build a defense that can get a STOP. The Saints current defense can’t stop anything. They are the worst defense in the NFL. If the Saints had a pro-level defense Drew would already have 3 rings. Geaux Saints!

36. buckybadger says: Feb 29, 2012 1:06 PM

waltdawg says:
    Feb 29, 2012 11:30 AM
    Dan Snyder,

Please relieve him of his anxiety….Let’s help this man out…And the SKINS.

sincerely,

The Fans

—————-

I would think after all the off season acquisitions the Redskins have overpaid and failed with the fans would not want anything to do with high priced FAs.

37. myeaglescantwin says: Feb 29, 2012 1:10 PM

Pro football talk dot com

not

Amatuer Political Talk dot com.

& for those of you asking who Nicks is,,,wow.. get a clue fellas.

38. goawayeverybody says: Feb 29, 2012 1:11 PM

havok82 says:
    Feb 29, 2012 12:42 PM

___________________________

Wow, Republicans really are delusional people.

But let’s review some FACTS. Bush was responsible for 5 trillion in new spending over two terms. Obama is responsible for 1.5 trillion in new spending over one term.

Obama has created millions of jobs over the last year and he will end up with a net job increase at the end of his first term, while Bush ended up with a net job loss of 600,000 under his two terms.

You are confusing the terms national debt and federal deficit. No surprise though. Let me clear things up for you. The federal deficit talks about the immediate budget shortfall. The national debt is all future outlays versus incoming revenue. That’s why the national debt number is so much higher than the federal deficit.

The federal deficit is shrinking. It was huge at the height of the recession because there was no money coming in in the form of tax revenue because no one was spending any money. The federal deficit is projected to be much closer to zero by 2015.

And btw, we are in a far better debt scenario than a lot of other industrialized nations, such as Japan, Canada, Italy, and Spain.

39. cannonballdookie says: Feb 29, 2012 1:12 PM

He should be gone anways. As great as he is, how can any team justify spending nearly 100M on offensive guards? That’s beyond insanity. Tough to pay any lineman huge money who isn’t a left tackle, other positions are fairly easy to find, just ask the Saints.

40. lexnekst says: Feb 29, 2012 1:13 PM

For those who don’t know, “a hundred thousand trillion” is a joke. A rap line Lil B aka The Based God uses in many of his songs. He also originated the “cooking dance” you saw many nfl players doing on the field this season. Youtube nfl cooking dance if you need evidence. I have now let you into #BASEDWORLD

41. bayoubauer says: Feb 29, 2012 1:16 PM

yankeemofo says:
    Feb 29, 2012 12:22 PM

And yet you come on a football site to whine about millionaire athletes?

42. packattack1967 says: Feb 29, 2012 1:20 PM

Try “might have” Carl.

43. bunjy96 says: Feb 29, 2012 1:21 PM

Read somewhere that with the contract G Evans got last year + Brees + Nicks would be about 40% of the cap.

No team can sustain that. That’s just financially non realistic.

What about the other players who are FA including multiple WR? Where is this money going to come from? The Saints better have a quality printing press somewhere.

44. slashrancid says: Feb 29, 2012 1:24 PM

There is no guard worth “a hundred thousand trillion” – Signed, Al Davis R.I.P.

45. nyjalleffingday says: Feb 29, 2012 1:31 PM

Swag to the hundred trillion #TYBG

46. shadowgm1 says: Feb 29, 2012 1:37 PM

havok82 says:Feb 29, 2012 12:42 PM

________________________________
    ———————————————————————————

Jesus. This is a sports board, not FOXBlog. I have to say, your take on the debt is laughable regarding the makeup of the numbers. Let’s talk about bank deregulation, war spending tax code simplification, tax cuts, and benefit checks where “everyone got a check”. Blaming the current C-in-C sounds to be as sensible as blaming a janitor for not cleaning up properly after a guy that just took a dook on the floor – and agreeing with the people that took the dook about his way of cleaning it up. The only way to dig out of this mess is to work together and all pitch in. What happens when you stop paying a bill which you owe on? Interest piles and it goes nowhere until you dig in and get it done. Complaining about paying now for something (like health care) that will help everyone down the road is shortsighted and incredibly ignorant. If we keep catering to a business’ ability to add and drop as they wish (and continue to propogate this insane economic system that’s killing everything – it’s eating itself) – then health care becomes more of a need for those who remain unemployed. Sounds like a bit too much brainwashing from “FOX Blues”. The world is ending when democrats are in charge who understand free market economics and human rights, but the worlds problems are being answered when a republican concerned with going to war and isolating people as individuals by slightly decreasing taxes (in the process peeling away rights and protections-yet making them feel they are maximizing income in a selfish society) and insulating the wealthy from “overpaying” (which is a democratic term for “fair share”) to the government. “Trickle down economics” – is enough said to prove the point that repub’s don’t like math or understand economics. The governmental health care is attacked for “raising the debt” even though it is a beneficial idea to the population as a whole. With the entire national debt we are paying for good, beneficial ideas such as health care AS WELL AS the poor decisions made throughout the years.

Blah blah. I’m off the soapbox. Ignorant posts anger me and make me shoot my mouth off before I become amused that I am angered by someone without a grasp of the whole picture. Back to football jabber.

47. vegaskid21 says: Feb 29, 2012 1:43 PM

100,000,000,000,000

I think, not sure but I don’t think its called “a hundred thousand trillion”

48. pskotte says: Feb 29, 2012 1:54 PM

vegaskid21 says:
    Feb 29, 2012 1:43 PM
    100,000,000,000,000

I think, not sure but I don’t think its called “a hundred thousand trillion”

———————————————–
    Sorry, vegaskid21 but you missed a few zeroes.

100,000,000,000,000,000

49. geemoney713 says: Feb 29, 2012 2:03 PM

Sounds like he meant to say 100 quadrillion to me.

100,000 x 1 trillion.

50. fsf7 says: Feb 29, 2012 2:04 PM

Wow, Republicans really are delusional people.

———-

I cannot let this one pass. My job is with a firm that does economic research and financial advising.

There isn’t a single word of truth in anything you stated, and forget about Republican vs. Democrat, I view this from an independent point of view.

Obama’s policy has not created new jobs. The U6 number has reached historic highs and the U3 number is one of the most manipulated government reported data there is. The shrinking of the U3 number is due to the decline in the workforce – and to qualify you as being in the labor force while unemployed you must be actively searching for a job, unemployed for less than a year (greater than a year you are no longer counted). Discouraged individuals who have been unable to find work are taken out of the demoninator in the U3 calculation – viola – the U3 number goes down and unemployment is reported as lower. And that isn’t even accounting for the Birth/Death Adjustment and median income at 1996 levels.

Do a search of Government Jobs Declining – there is a NYT article showing the decline in Government Jobs — I bet those people would have a slightly different take on your outlook on Obama creating jobs.

As far as the debt – what planet are you on. Do you even have the slightest idea of what QE1 and QE2 were? The Federal Reserve effectively printed off trillions of dollars to buy it’s own bonds. This monetary policy has been implemented due to the economic contraction that is both necessary and normal — the solution is austerity but because it is painful, the government avoids it by printing off more money. It’s the same as a pain killer addict taking more Oxycotin to avoid the withdrawal and recovery. A 10 year old can figure out that you can solve a debt problem by taking out more debt.

I do not have the slightest idea where you source your data from, but anyone can visit the Federal Reserve website to view Private, State & Local, and Federal Government Debt – the Federal Government debt was a $5.68 trillion in 2008 and is at $10.12 trillion through 3rd quarter 2011.

There is a simple and terrifying reality that the millions of baby boomers who lost their savings in the Tech Wreck and Financial/Banking Meltdown are in dire straits with regards to having enough income to retire on. Only 26 companies of the S&P 500 have fully funded pensions – State and Local Government employees (those who did not lose their jobs) have an even more tenuous outlook on their pensions.

You obviously do not have the slightest idea of what really drives the economy – consumer spending. You obviously have no idea why it has slowed. And you obviously have no idea on how a managed deleveraging of private sector debt brought on by the reckless lending practices of the banks (which Obama has given free money to) impacted home prices, investors and credit.

If you want to vote for Obama, that is your right in this country. But do yourself and everyone else a favor, and get your facts in order first. Start with a basic one – like how the Qualitative Easing and Quantitative Easing policies devalued the dollar, created a commodities bubble and led to the increased cost of common items — so your dollar does not go as far as it did a few years ago and impacting families with modest incomes (while positively impacting the most affluent individuals through increased returns if invested in those areas).

I’ll be happy to continue transforming your ignorance into knowledge – but start off with dropping the political garbage and blindly believing in one party over another.

51. punkmonkeyfaces says: Feb 29, 2012 2:05 PM

“I aint know how to speak, but you might!”

52. haileli says: Feb 29, 2012 2:06 PM

Remember: conservatives are brainwashed by Fox News. Liberals are *never* brainwashed by MSNBC, Olbermann, etc… That would be offensive and ridiculous.

53. dryzzt23 says: Feb 29, 2012 2:14 PM

Not a Saints fan but I am so glad to see a guy finally get his due who put in max effort and didn’t bitch and moan about his contract and just went to work and performed admirably.

I applaud Carl for all his hard work and he will get paid some serious jack, 8 digits. I wonder if he’s an Obama supporter b/c if he is, I wonder if he’ll continue to back Obama since Carl will soon join the vilified “1%-ers” and Obama and Co. will tax the hell out of his paycheck.

54. pdxpanther says: Feb 29, 2012 2:15 PM

yankeemofo says: Feb 29, 2012 12:22 PM

_____________________________________________
    Obviously, if you are following and commenting on a website that follows the NFL. I’m sorry you lost your job, but coming on here to rain on anpther man’s success is sad.

55. dryzzt23 says: Feb 29, 2012 2:49 PM

Sorry Yankee about your job, that sucks, blame the almighty Czar Obama for your loss

pdspanther, IMO all yankee was doing was seeing to it that these players, in this case, Nicks, gets some perspective on his situation versus that of a regular Joe.

Nicks has some semblance of job security and a huge bank account. Regular Joes are at risk of losing their jobs 24/7 thanks to Obama and the Democrat Congress’ abhorrent economic policies.

56. wallacejay says: Feb 29, 2012 3:08 PM

A hundred thousand trillion…that’s almost alot

57. pdxpanther says: Feb 29, 2012 3:16 PM

People comparing regular Joes to professional athletes is laughable. Especially when they compare their salaries. Almost as laughable as people who somehow turn a man’s contract negotiations to politics. The man has a right to be excited/nervous about how much money he is going to make, he has been working his butt off to reach this point and now he is about to be ultimately rewarded. Jealousy OS for children who are upset their mom and dad didn’t get them a you just because the neighbor kid has it and you don’t.

The difference between Joe and the athlete is that the athlete IS the product we tune in to see. People claim to love football but have no interest in watching the arena league or the USFL, why? Because they aren’t the best of the beat athletically. We buy their jersey, the shoes they endorse and then complain that they are spoiled millionaires.

58. risk529 says: Feb 29, 2012 3:16 PM

@lexnekst: Thank you! People were getting so bent out of shape about the number – Its from some songs the Based God and even Kanye West have used it…Not a big deal

59. radrhatr says: Feb 29, 2012 3:41 PM

is “xanxex” something new, or is that how you pronounce it when you’re on it?

60. deconjonesbitchslap says: Feb 29, 2012 3:48 PM

i’ve read that global unpaid expenses (pensions, social security, healthcare, etc) totaled for the next 50 years is around 1000 trillion dollars, or over 1 quadrillion dollars.

LOL.

61. bucfandango says: Feb 29, 2012 3:50 PM

The Buccaneers are prepared to make Nicks the highest paid guard in the NFL, and still have money left to do the same for about 5 or 6 others including Brandon Carr or Cortland Finnegan. I am dreaming, wishing, hoping, pleading for them to finally pull the trigger and get us a team.

Obama???? As much as I personally dislike him, I have made more money since he became President than I ever did under 8 yrs of Bush. So if he gets 4 more years, and I continue making mega money while America suffers, too bad, so sad. Thanks for all the big government contracts. We’re laughing all the way to the Bank and I may just become a Democrat so I can continue down the golden brick road. Raise my taxes, who cares? Chump Change!!! Big Business loves Mr. Obama. Oh Yeah. Ask yourself why the rich have gotten richer in the last 3 years. He is definitely helping the little guy. LOL, you fools.

62. deconjonesbitchslap says: Feb 29, 2012 3:51 PM

so this guys anxiety level is one octillion. 1 octillion = 1000 quardrillion. 1 quadrillion = 1000 trillion

63. geauxmez says: Feb 29, 2012 7:40 PM

DEAR GOD!

Nicks, please quit spatting off to twitter…. that ended badly for Reggie.

64. jobiwon22 says: Mar 1, 2012 11:58 AM

First, I’m hoping Nicks comes home to play in SF. Second, I was to second what fsf7 said. I have an economics minor and I agree with every word he said. It was a great response to some of the nonsense spewed on here. The white house gives the talking points to the state run media like CNN and MSNBC and people come on the internet and repeat every word. Then they accuse others of being ignorant and only watching Fox. I hardly ever watch them.
    If you like how things are going move to Greece. That’s us in 10 years. It’s even affecting football with the decreasing revenues and lower salary cap.