Jacobs will consider a pay cut

Wild Card Playoffs - Atlanta Falcons v New York Giants Getty Images

Running back Brandon Jacbos wants to stay with the Giants, and the Giants want to keep him.

But not with a $500,000 roster bonus and a salary of $4.4 million.

The question becomes whether and to what extent the Giants are willing to pay — and Jacobs is willing, well, to not be paid.  And Jacobs says there’s a limit.

I want to stay in New York a whole lot, man, because this is where I started,” Jacobs told Bruce Beck of NBC 4, via Mike Garafolo of the Newark Star-Ledger.  “It’s a great organization.  I got wonderful, great teammates.  I won a second Super Bowl here with this organization.

“But I’m not willing to sell my soul, you know?  It’s a great organization and I want to be a part of it, but if they’re not feeling the same way, then so be it.”

Jacobs, a seven-year veteran, said he hopes to play three more years.  He may get that opportunity, but not at nearly $5 million per year.

Permalink 17 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New York Giants, Rumor Mill
17 Responses to “Jacobs will consider a pay cut”
  1. onegamedoesnotaseasonmake says: Feb 29, 2012 10:54 PM

hope he stays. he’s great for protecting the qb and makes a big play once in a while.

and he told rex ryan to shut up!

2. Angry Orange Man says: Feb 29, 2012 10:58 PM

I love Jacobs and have loved him since his rookie season, but the reality of the situation is he hasn’t produced near the level of his salary. I’d like him back too but he needs to realize the numbers are what they are and no one is going to give him what he wants with two years in a row of sub-par production.

3. srbumblebeeman says: Feb 29, 2012 11:03 PM

So selling his soul is taking LESS money? I don’t think thats how it works.

4. tfbuckfutter says: Feb 29, 2012 11:04 PM

Wouldn’t “selling your soul” be more akin to doing something you don’t want to do (going somewhere else) for more money?

How does one sell their soul for less money?

5. ryanlandry1285 says: Feb 29, 2012 11:13 PM

LOL i like how you say “consider” as if he has a choice

6. situsavaisprier says: Feb 29, 2012 11:24 PM

Keep him, but for the right price. If he’s willing to take less, then I would go for it. Really Jacobs can still play. It’s pretty telling that the Giants running game as a whole regressed this season. You have 3 news starters on the o-line following the releases of Rich Seubert and Shaun O’Hara during the 2011 off-season.

A year prior to that Jacobs had his highest yards per carry of 5.6 on 147 carries. The o-line was the problem, which was one of the reasons the Giants threw more this year than any year in the Coughlin era.

7. mrslay1 says: Feb 29, 2012 11:46 PM

I hope he cames back at 2 or 2.5 mil. Thats a good place for them to meet. He is a important part of this team and through out the season he is a great back when they need him. Great for closing out games!

8. footballhistorian says: Mar 1, 2012 12:08 AM

sell my soul…what perspective…

9. mrnickles says: Mar 1, 2012 1:38 AM

You run soft, Brandon.

10. eaglesnoles05 says: Mar 1, 2012 1:52 AM

Since his game has been cut, it’s only fair.

11. peepeetoucher says: Mar 1, 2012 2:03 AM

Ya, He told Rex to shut up (which he deserved) but he also said this gem of a quote….

“I’ve got nothing positive to say,” Jacobs said. “The most positive thing: I got family at home and I got a fast-ass car being delivered on Tuesday. That’s it.”

12. ptdennis says: Mar 1, 2012 2:28 AM

As a Redskin fan who dislikes the Giants, I loved Brandon on Impact wrestling the past two weeks. I remember him being a beast at Southern Illinois but I didn’t know he was also at Auburn with all the NFL talent they had at the time like Carnell Williams, Ronnie Brown, and Jason Campbell. I pull for guys that find their way through adversity.

13. bluefan204 says: Mar 1, 2012 6:52 AM

When you split carries with a RB who is much quicker and more versatile, you should NOT be getting a $4.4 mil paycheck. Jacobs simply does not produce enough to justify that salary. I’m ready to see him and his big mouth move along, because he rarely backs it up on the field. Anyone stupid enough to throw a helmet into the stands will never have my respect

14. giants56 says: Mar 1, 2012 7:19 AM

I love Jacobs. He isn’t the problem with the running game it’s the Offensive line.. The O-line has morphed in to a pass blocking line not a run blocking line. We don’t have one road grader of a lineman for Jacobs or Ahmad to run behind. And when we do have a big run a holding penalty is called. Bring the Big fella back. Fix the O-line…Maybe start Petrus at guard, he is a mauler…

15. chalkruz1989 says: Mar 1, 2012 9:06 AM

Would I love Brandon Jacobs to remain on the team? Sure. But, it has become too frequent for Jacobs to open up a can of worms every so often. He needs to go back to the old way of running someone over every other play and get back to the player that had Giants fans really loving him. He needs to take the paycut because he’s making plenty of enough money to be a #2 and considering he’s won two Super Bowls, the Giants have definitely paid him plenty.

16. billb09 says: Mar 1, 2012 10:53 AM

It is a performance driven league, if he’d had a huge season he’d be asking and probably holding out for more. Since the “tip toe burglar ” has not played to his potential he just needs to accept the Giants offer or go get a real job. At let’s say $15.00 an hour. Square up, lower your shoulders, shut-up and run. Then you will get paid.

17. cool10857 says: Mar 1, 2012 6:31 PM

Say goodbye Brandon….you are not what you used to be.