Cox chooses not to testify

Perrish Cox, Harvey  Steinberg AP

It’s his Constitutional right, right there in the Fifth Amendment.  And former Broncos cornerback Perrish Cox opted to exercise it on Thursday.

According to the Denver Post, Cox chose not to testify in his ongoing rape trial.

But this doesn’t mean the jury didn’t hear from Cox.  On Thursday morning, prosecutors played video of Cox denying having sex with the alleged victim in a meeting with police.

I didn’t touch her at all,” Cox said.  “She wasn’t even drunk.”

So why didn’t he say that on the witness stand?  It may have something to do with the fact that his DNA matched the DNA of the fetus that was growing in the uterus of the alleged victim.

Lawyer Harvey Steinberg called only one witness for the defense.  The jury was scheduled to hear closing arguments at 1:00 p.m. ET.

UPDATE 3:00 p.m. ET:  Jury deliberations have begun.

Permalink 19 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
19 Responses to “Cox chooses not to testify”
  1. raven410 says: Mar 1, 2012 2:35 PM

“I didn’t touch her at all,” Cox said. “She wasn’t even drunk.”

Guilty!

2. genericcommenter says: Mar 1, 2012 2:36 PM

He exercised his Constitutional rights a little late. I guess he hasn’t heard of the right to remain silent. I don’t know why I’m still surprised when people of means don’t take legal advice right away. Or perhaps that was the lawyer’s bad advice.

3. cardiovascularendurance says: Mar 1, 2012 2:39 PM

Can we just lock him up already? This story makes me sick.

4. Soulman45 says: Mar 1, 2012 2:40 PM

Hope for the best I hate to think that he did it but it could have happen.

5. lombardihero says: Mar 1, 2012 2:46 PM

Totally hung himself. Told the cops before he even knew she was pregnant I did not even touch her she wasn’t even drunk.

he could not take the stand and explain any of this and what would any person on the face of this earth think.

His lawyer could not even challenge the DNA testing.

6. kwgator says: Mar 1, 2012 3:22 PM

Should have hired Big Ben’s Defense Team ….. Those Dudes are Miracle Workers

7. whatnojets says: Mar 1, 2012 3:23 PM

What a waste of talent, youth and life!

This idiot could have been a millionare but now will most probably get jail house pay!

8. jlb10 says: Mar 1, 2012 3:42 PM

ilive in denver and have listened to reports from people in the court room and something just doesn’t add up. something seems to be missing

9. rectumdamnnearkilledem says: Mar 1, 2012 4:13 PM

If he is guilty, he deserves everything he will get. Perhaps his cell mate will wait til he is passed out before he returns the favor

10. edavidberg says: Mar 1, 2012 4:23 PM

What is this guy going to say on the stand? I lied to the cops then but I’m telling the truth now?

The best strategy is to argue reasonable doubt as far as consent. Maybe the girls story doesn’t make sense. I have no idea if it will work but calling even an innocent client to the stand often doesn’t help anything. The lawyer seems to be making the right move.

11. dominicthedonkey says: Mar 1, 2012 4:34 PM

Hey cox…let us know how your first shower in prison goes. Let’s all hope that soap on a rope does not work.

12. richardhurtz says: Mar 1, 2012 4:36 PM

Why the funk was my post removed? Come on PFW, stop with the random post removal!

13. bullethead527 says: Mar 1, 2012 4:43 PM

What bothers me is that the girl was his team mates girlfriend, and Cox told Thomas what he was going to do, and then did it. and Thomas didn’t even object, or even try to stop it. He let Cox take her into the room, while he said “she ready now” and he didn’t even stop him. What a boyfriend he is.

14. realpro14 says: Mar 1, 2012 4:44 PM

Perrish Cox knows hes guilty and knows he ruined his life…but lets not forget the victim….if hes found guilty throw the book at him

15. tfbuckfutter says: Mar 1, 2012 4:47 PM

Is that why the Steelers are cutting so many players?

Freeing up cap room to sign a new DB?

16. straightfromthedonkeysmouth says: Mar 1, 2012 5:00 PM

JUST WANNA SAY THESE GUYS CAN BE FOUL WITH THERE BEHAVIOR BUT SO CAN THESE GIRLS ! THERE ARE THREE SIDES TO EVERY STORY AND I FEEL NOBODY IS INNOCENT IN THIS ONE; SO WHAT WOULD BE THE CORRECT VERDICT! IT’S A LOSE, LOSE SITUATION.

17. realitypolice says: Mar 1, 2012 5:02 PM

I am surprised at you. Didn’t you used to be a lawyer?

Every defense attorney strives to keep his client off the stand at all costs to avoid cross-examination.

In fact, it would have been a much, much larger story if he had taken the stand.

I have no doubt that you know this. So why the angle?

Little disingenuous, no?

18. realitypolice says: Mar 1, 2012 5:03 PM

Plus, I had no idea that his lawyer was Roger Ebert.

19. truthserum4u says: Mar 2, 2012 5:28 AM

bullethead527 says:Mar 1, 2012 4:43 PM

——————————-

A day late and a dollar short.

It’s already been explained on other threads concerning this story:

– the alleged victim was not Thomas’ girlfriend.
    – Cox was taking her to his room to put her in a bed because she was passed out.
    – the comment about her being ready was directed to Thomas to take advantage, not what Cox himself intended to do.
    – it all took place after Thomas left.
    – Cox’s girlfriend was also still at the apartment when Thomas left.