Peyton Manning’s arm strength apparently improving

Getty Images

The reporter who said last month that Peyton Manning has a “noodle arm” now says things have changed.

Bob Kravitz of the Indianapolis Star wrote on Twitter, citing multiple sources, that Manning is currently working out in Florida and “throwing much, much better.”

If that sounds like spin from the Manning camp, well, Kravitz followed that up by saying that his information was not from anybody in the Manning camp. Albert Breer of NFL Network wrote that he’s hearing the same thing about Manning’s arm strength improving.

With less than a week to go before the Colts have to cut Manning to avoid writing him a check for $28 million, this improvement isn’t particularly relevant to the Colts: They’re going to move on from Manning and on to Andrew Luck. But for teams interested in signing Manning, any improvement he has made from early February to early March has to be a very good sign that he’ll continue to improve and be ready to go by September.

109 responses to “Peyton Manning’s arm strength apparently improving

1. Oh, please, spare me.

This is just another instance of Manning’s politicking machine. He truly makes Favre look like an amateur in terms of manipulating the sports media.

2. Miami Dolphins are in drivers seat for him. Peyton lives in Miami, works out in Miami and now can play in Miami. It’s a no brainer for him.

3. No pressure Andrew. You are just replacing a legend, who the Indy fans love … I am sure they will be super patient with your development. Nothing to worry about Mr. Luck.

4. thse reports crack me up. every day, something different. i live in Indy, and have a few good sources within the organization, and everyone says he CANNOT throw past 20 yards.

people need to realize that improvement probably means he can now throw 25 yards.

5. I pray that Stephen Ross doesn’t get sucked in. Stevie, please ignore this report. Let the Redskins and Jets fight over him. It’s what they do and it’s why they suck.

Do what you must to get RG3. If you can’t get him, get a pass rusher at 8 or trade down if you can, pick up a 2 this year and a 1 next year.

But DO NOT repeat the mistakes of the past and sign this guy. IT NEVER WORKS.

When the Heat signed LeBron he was 25. When the Marlins signed Reyes he was 28. Manning is done. It’s not worth it.

Am I making myself clear?

STEPHEN ROSS: DO NOT SIGN PEYTON MANNING!!!!!

6. So he’s throwing much, much better than he was when he had a noodle arm? That could mean a lot of things. If his arm was really that bad, drastic improvement doesn’t necessarily mean he has an NFL arm at this point. Show me a workout and I’ll believe it.

7. We still don’t know what Manning’s status is . We’re getting second hand stuff – or speculation and conjecture from people who were not ‘eyes-on’ – or qualified to say so, even if they did.

8. I hope he recovers fully, or close to it. It’ll be fun to watch him play on a different team.

9. A lot of football left for this guy! My book tells me 27+ teams should consider a 3-4 year deal for this guy! Yes, he just is that good!
    You can have a mediocre offense and be Ultra competitive. Vikings should train Ponder under him! They love the old guys, and this is one that would make things interesting and fun!
    Skol

10. If Chad Pennington can take the 1-15 Dolphins to the Playoffs, God help the division Peyton Manning lands in… I hope he gets to beat the Colts twice a year.

11. So by 2pm today do we get the report that this report is wrong and that Peyton still has a noodle arm?

12. Has Schefter confirmed it? I will assume he will never play another down and his arm has dwindled down to point where it is no stonger than my skinny, underdeveloped, accountant arm. That is of course until Schefter confirms otherwise.

13. Redskins, listen up.

Sign Manning, Wayne, Nicks/Grubbs, and a CB.

Move BACK in the draft or select MoClai, Blackmon, or Reiff.

Move back: Target Floyd, Kuchely, Barron, Poe, or Fitzpatrick, or move back AGAIN.

Move back again: Pretty much the same guys, or consider signing Mike Wallace away from the Steelers (depending on our cap room).

2nd and 3rd Rounds: Stock up on the plethora of DT’s, CB’s, WR’s, and possibly draft Osweiler out of ASU or Cousins as a grooming QB.

Offense is immediately vastly improved and more explosive. QB position is stabilized and young QB or Rex can step in if Manning goes down. Stockpile talent and picks on both sides of the ball. Instant playoff contender, and maybe a piece away from SB contender.

HAIL TO THE SKINS!

14. Enough with the Redskins talk. Its NOT HAPPENING. Dolphins? NOT HAPPENING.

Other than that, I have no clue. But rest assured. Its not the Redskins and its not the Dolphins.

15. Much better than what? a Noodle. I love these stories. Multiple sources and all of them are spreading this around like Narcs.

Funny thing is if Manning was to let people watch his work out I’m pretty sure they would not be from the Irsay camp… So that means they would have to be from the Manning camp.

Multiple sources hey and Manning just let a bunch of people he did not know into to see him work out:)

16. As they say’ Seeing is believing” Show me the video!! I want to see the video or live action in order to see if he can really throw the ball!

17. And he goes to Miami because they suck? come on..I think this is a three team race..Cardinals, 49ers, Jets..

18. whatnojets says:
    Mar 2, 2012 11:54 AM
    Another PR plot to increase his value!

————————————–

Click on the “thumbs up” icon and then wait a few seconds. It will automatically go back to “0”!!

19. If the season started today, name the QBs you would rather have than Peyton Manning(even if he is only 80%. Mine are:
    Brady, Rodgers, Rothlisberger, Brees, Eli Manning, Cam Newton(solely on pontential and age).
    SO even at 80% Peyton is still solidly in the top ten in the league. Just my opinion but that’s still damn good. That means there are 24 teams out there that at least give him a look(would be 25 but we know he is not staying in Indy).

20. “When you bring in Peyton Manning, it’s ‘Okay, Peyton — bring me your playbook,’ Billick said. “Because that’s what we’re going to put in. Why would you not put Peyton Manning in an environment that he’s most comfortable? So you’re going to wrap your entire offense around what he wants to do. And then, for whatever time you’ve rented him — whether it’s two years or three years, hopefully very productive — you then have to go back and start over. Because believe me, what Peyton Manning does is unique to Peyton Manning, and I’m not [just] talking about what he does on the field.

21. Why would he go to a team like Miami? Nothing against Miami, but they aren’t ready to be in Super Bowl contention. I doubt Peyton makes a decision on where to play based on proximity to his home over his chances to win a Super Bowl.

And the Jets dont have the cap room.

22. elosopoderoso99 says: Mar 2, 2012 12:05 PM

Hey remember when Tommy Boy got hurt and the Pats went 11-5?

———————————

Ironically, no one here can remember that.
    Pre-merger?

23. “this improvement isn’t particularly relevant to the Colts: They’re going to move on from Manning”

And your source for that little nugget is ???

24. can’t wait to see him in k.c., chiefs didn’t have a qb last year and still won 7 games against the hardest schedule in league with huge injuries. chiefs get manning they are super bowl bound.

25. Remember the days of Payton being a passing monolith, getting to 11(?) consecutive years of 10+ wins/season and year after year ownership of the AFC South? Oh yeah, that was all up to last year, the man missed one season and now his organization has given up to him. Can you imagine if the Patriots had gone with the younger Matt Cassell? I guess I don’t understand how even Colt fans can just turn their backs on the man. He got hurt, it was more serious than projected, so what? He is cleared to take a football hit and his arm strength will improve, but that isn’t good enough. Dungy didn’t win all those games with his mental aptitude, Manning did. Caldwell wasn’t responsible for the season before last, Caldwell was responsible for this past season. I believe Andrew Luck will be a special quarterback, but I don’t think the Colt’s organization deserves having a winner. Irsay is a dirt bag, self-promoting, loudmouth, neandermonkey who was lucky enough to have a rich daddy. He is not a genius, he is not a self-made man, there is no proof he is anymore competant than a chimpanzee. If Colt fans can’t handle having one losing season, while their franchise quarterback/head coach/offensive coordinator is hurt, then shame on them and hope you never see another ring… ever.

26. elosopoderoso99 says: Mar 2, 2012 12:05 PM

Hey remember when Tommy Boy got hurt and the Pats went 11-5?

—————–

The Pats had an excellent coach and a really good backup QB. What’s your point?

27. Maybe Manning should set up some sort of “pro day” type of workout so we can actually see how he’s progressing.

28. RockChalkMike says:
    Mar 2, 2012 12:13 PM

And the Jets dont have the cap room.

——————————————

Did you ever hear the phrase “Signing Bonus”???

29. I agree until I see actual footage this story is a joke.

Manning allowing people to watch his workout that are non Manning camp please if that was the case this would not be as tight lipped as it has been.

If Multiple sources witnessed this why would they have to hide their Identity and why would those who they told have to protect them:) lol.

30. Tomorrow the headline will be “Manning’s right arm discovered in dumpster behind St. Elmo’s”.

I wish the media would just make up it’s mind or find more consistent sources, but that would drive down page hits.

31. BTW, the REAL details are emerging on that Brees contract. The deal AVERAGES $18 million a year, but the Saints are trying to shortchange him for the first three years, knowing full well those will be his most productive years on the five year contract.

Completely the opposite situation to the Manning contract which was front-loaded. What a shame. Maybe this is Tom Benson’s fault?

32. I’m not a Chiefs fan but I think KC is the best fit for Manning. They have a great recieving corp in Bowe, Breaston, Baldwin and a healthy Tony Moeaki returning and not to forget about the possible “package deal” including Reggie Wayne. Add that to the return of Jamal Charles and an improving D and the Chiefs could go along way next season.
    Skol Vikings!

33. Now that the rookie wage scale is no longer insane, why the rush to start a QB like Luck? Why not get Manning to restructure with a contract more cap friendly, draft Luck and let him learn on the sideline for a few years?

34. jet fans are delusional. there is 2% chance he ends up on the jets. they are a dumpster fire. everyone knows that ship is going down in flames in 2012. well everyone except delusional jet fans.

AZ – sounds like a fit, but vegas has them at +800 odds vs +200 for MIA and they dont set odds unless they know what they are talking about. somebody knows something,

KC is too cold for his style.

Miami would be in SB contention. Pro Bowl QB – check Pro Bowl receive checker 1000 yr rusher – check, solid D – check

35. well, noodle arm couldn’t get any worse, right??

No where to go but up from noodle arm… now its rubber band arm

36. Chiefs come to the line, Manning sends Charles into motion.

Manning drops back to pass.

He’s got Bowe open in the back corner of the endzone!

Bowe brings it in!

TOUCHDOWN KAN-SAS-CITY!!!!!!!!!

37. haleyistheman00 says:Mar 2, 2012 12:16 PM

Miami is better. Miami lost their starting QB too and still beatdown the chiefs in KC 33-3. no way Manning plays for the Chiefs.

38. He’s not going anywhere Cold like KC or Jets. Was never a very effective player in the cold to begin with. With 4 surgeries under his belt and his age, his destination is a dome or warm weather location.

39. The Colts could decide to keep Manning to give Luck time to develop the finer points of his offense.

The only downside is that Peyton will have to stay 2 years (because the cost of cutting him will be too high after year 1).

Something to remember: Peyton Manning controls whom sees him work out, and if Manning didn’t think that person would give him a favorable review – they probably wouldn’t be allowed in.

That’s not manipulative. It’s just smart.

40. Sj39, Peyton said he would do a performance based contract for other teams, but never said the Colts. He wants out and he is not renegotiating for Irsay.

41. dolphindad says:
    Mar 2, 2012 12:40 PM

——————————————-

Who wrote this??? Oh I see……a Dolphin fan….I pity you!!!

42. The clouds are getting darker over Irsay’s camp.

Peyton will be back, and if he walks into Lucas Oil Stadium this season I can’t imagine him leaving without dropping 40-something points on the scoreboard, then strolling out to the sound of a standing ovation.

43. Probowl QB check?? What good is it if he is a shell of his former self? Damaged goods, big time. Manning at 100% was 9-10 in the playoffs and 7 of 11 trips ended in one and dones. A lesser Manning is what anyone is going to get.

44. who said manning can’t play in the cold? as a chiefs fan I remember him coming into kc in the playoffs and having a great game. I don’t think weather is gonna be that big of a factor.

45. I will believe it when I see it. Politician Peyton at it again. Greedy swamp boy wants that 35 million from the Colts. Don’t do it Irsay. Move on and rebuild. If he gets that 28 million bonus. It kicks in the 4 years of that deal. RISKY!!!

46. Weather will be a big factor. It always killed him in NE. You are thinking of Harbaugh winning in KC. Don’t recall Manning being there in playoffs.

47. Manning will be QB for Miami this year.

Luck will be QB for Colts this year.

Miami will have a better record at the end of the year……..and next year.

48. OF course they’ve changed – as the deadline for the big payday comes closer, he’ll be more Captain America vs. Captain Crunch.

Just move on – he’s done in Indy – turn the page.

Now Irsay will tweet some nonsense after this ‘news’.

49. I agree with the previous post. If I’m manning why do I want to go to the jets or dolphins there in the same divison as tom Brady it would be hard to win there. Washington is in the same divison and his brother and the champs so that’s a no. Arizona and kc are u 2 best options and u got to like kc more due to better receivers tightends running backs and defense. Oh and the afc west is easy SD, oak, den aren’t to be feared. I could be wrong just seems logical to me.

50. jjackwagon says: Mar 2, 2012 12:10 PM

——————————-

How do you not mention Matthew Stafford? At 23 years old he has already put himself on the cusp of being an elite QB. 5,000+ yards and 41 touchdowns at 23!!!!!

51. Redskins are definitely not getting him. Manning is old, and he knows he doesn’t have many years in him left. He’s going to want to go to a team with a solid chance of making it all the way.
    I say its a good chance he lands in Miami or San Fran.
    I know San Fran wants to resign Alex Smith, but people change there minds quickly when there is a profit to be made.

52. Did anyone read the actual PFT post? The same guy who said Manning had a noodle arm is now reporting that he is throwing much much better (Kravitz). Two reports, presumably from the same source revealing much (x2) improvement. Stand down haters.

53. Wherever he ends his career, I just hope that the team has a defense. Indy’s defense has been sorely lacking his whole career.

54. Manning at 80%?
    Lots of memories of Manning throwing perfect passes and threading the needle at 100%
    So at 80% aren’t those passes 20% less perfect and accurate? I envision more int’s and incompletions at 80%.
    I always laugh at people who say such and such QB at 70-80% is better than most QB’s in the league.
    What a crock of you-know-what.

55. Random meanderings…

I don’t think its that far fetched to see Peyton with the Jets. Primary reason why is that Sparano is the one offensive coordinator I can see that would step back and let Peyton do what he does. I mean, what offense is it that Sparano runs? He’s never been an OC, has he?

If the Redskins sign Peyton then the Rams will be wetting themselves. (I’d like to see that)

To the guy talking up Stafford. I’ve always been impressed by his arm. But, this year I watched him. If he ever loses Megatron then you are going to be stunned by the drop off. Bank on it. He has a gun, but he doesn’t make the reads (doesn’t seem to even try, and with Johnson, doesn’t really have to). I’ve seen him throw into double coverage time and time again when other receivers were wide open. If Johnson gets hurt then he won’t be able to do that and his other receivers won’t be able to get so much space.

How many first pick quarterbacks have the Colts sucked into? It seems almost like a conspiracy.

Anyone read the breakdown on Luck in the analytics issue of espn magazine? What they’re saying I’ve been watching for two years.

Does it seem that most Cleveland fans are clamoring for Washington to make the trade with the Rams, or is it just me?

56. If I were Manning, I would sign with the Jags. Bring Reggie with you, you already have a great running game in place, a good TE, and a pretty solid defense. You tutor Gabbert so he becomes a beast and continues to pound the Colts after Manning retires. And best of all you get to beat your former team twice a year. That should give the Colt’s 15 year old owner something to post on Twitter.

57. so your saying the weather was the reason he couldn’t win against n.e. ? had nothing to do with romeo crennel defenses or lack of indy defense? I think romeo will be his head coach this year. that’s just my opinion.

58. You’re insane if you think KC isn’t the perfect choice for Manning. Their receiving corps is more complete than Miami. Pending the return of Jamaal Charles and maybe a cheap free agent, they have one of the best running games in the league. They have an emerging young defense with only one major hole (defensive line). They have one of the best home crowds in the league.

Most importantly, they’re in a division that they could win with Cassel at QB. With Manning, they would cruise to a division title. The AFC East shouldn’t be appealing to him based on the Patriots’ presence alone.

Oh, and there’s the whole thing about the Chiefs having way more money to spend than any of those other teams.

59. 1972wasalongtimeago says:
    Mar 2, 2012 11:47 AM

And the Dolphins don’t suck?

60. Manning is not going to the Redskins, or the Jets, or the Niners. He is not going to play in his brother’s division. He is not going to play for Rex Ryan.

And the Niners seem to be in love with Alex Smith. (Cardinals fans love that by the way).

It will be either Miami or the Cardinals.

Manning to Fitz….going to love that. And, maybe Reggie Wayne too?

Just hoping. But it will be either Miami or AZ.

61. You mean, suddenly, right before the Colts have to make a $28 million dollar decision and, right before Manning will likely be a free agent, his arm strength is improving and none of this is coming from Manning’s camp?

In the words of Biff from Back to the Future, “Don’t be so gullible, McFly.”

It’s sad that the media thinks the public is that dumb.

62. Considering Manning’s competitve ego. I’d say he’d go to Miami just so he COULD take on Brady twice a year. If he could keep the Patriots and Jets out of the playoffs it would be icing on the cake.

63. Like it or not, he’s not going anywhere cold. Especially because of his age and his surgeries. Everybody’s body feels better when warm. When you get older, the weather effects you that much more.

And he would never play for the dysfunctional Jets. Bank on that.

64. I just read through the comments above. I can’t believe the number of slappies with a man-crush on Manning. The amount of misinformation the Manning camp puts out is tremendous. If he could throw, then the media, the NFL and 31 teams would have already seen it. He’s greedily trying to con someone into paying him millions more. He knew he was done last year. Greedy Swamp Boy. Done.

65. Just RETIRE Peyton…nothing else to prove…I know u wanna catch Eli ring count …but not worth it …keep yr dignity! !

66. And I love everyone who likes to throw out statistical precentages like Manning is at 80%. How do you know and/or even measure something like that accuratly? What if he’s currently at 67.358% of his career average throwing velocity of 68.5 FPS. What if his accuracy is only 82% on downfield targets in a 3′ window at 20+ yards. Armchair scientists.. I love you guys.

67. Miami has an offensive-minded head coach who wants to install and control his own offense. Peyton Manning won’t want to go there.

68. Right. The last thing a new offensively minded coach would want is one of the best QB’S ever to play the game on his team.

Besides that he didnt call the plays in Green Bay and said he wouldnt be dropping the Packer playbook on the table in Miami. He said in his first interview he would make his playbook work with his personnel.