Archie Manning: “I saw him throw and he looked like Peyton”

MOD-517363_EliManning-PeytonManning-ArchieManning-creditBillFrakesGettyImages Getty Images

Add Archie Manning to the growing list of people who say Peyton Manning is steadily improving in his recovery from neck surgery.

The father of the Colts (for now) quarterback said on Friday that he watched Peyton work out and saw no reason to believe his son won’t be ready to play quarterback in the 2012 NFL season.

“What I’ve seen, he certainly looks fine as far as throwing and velocity on the ball,” Archie said, via the Indianapolis Star. “I did see him a couple of weeks ago; he was in New Orleans. I saw him throw and he looked like Peyton. He hasn’t had any setbacks throwing. He’s been throwing for two months and has four or five [months] to go before the season starts.”

Every recent report about Peyton’s rehabilitation has been positive, saying that he is throwing well and on his way to being ready to go, and that the only question is which team he will go to. Archie’s comments are consistent with that.

Of course, Peyton has only allowed a carefully selected group of people see him throw. The positive comments about his arm strength may say more about the people making those comments than they say about Peyton. But those comments are all we have to go on now, and those comments all suggest that he’s going to be ready to play this season.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
30 Responses to “Archie Manning: “I saw him throw and he looked like Peyton””
  1. theblondbomber says: Mar 3, 2012 12:14 PM

Public Relations War.

2. lolb23 says: Mar 3, 2012 12:17 PM

I thought this might be an article about Matthew Stafford

3. gergie1957 says: Mar 3, 2012 12:18 PM

With over 20 million on the line, I’m sure Archie saw rainbows and angels spinning off the spiral of that football, also.

4. ezg1 says: Mar 3, 2012 12:19 PM

Spoken by a loyal CEO of Manning Inc. Really don’t think Archie’s critque carries a lot of weight with the Powers that Be!

5. chiadam says: Mar 3, 2012 12:22 PM

Well, now we know he’s fully recovered. His dad said so.

6. beavertonsteve says: Mar 3, 2012 12:23 PM

I was hoping this was an article about Andrew Luck. That would have been awesome.

7. raqaiw says: Mar 3, 2012 12:36 PM

I’d be more impressed if he’d said “I saw him throw and he looked like Eli.”

8. skipbayless says: Mar 3, 2012 12:40 PM

I’d be sniffing around Manning unless i worked for the Packers, Patriots, Saints, Steelers, Giants, Lions, Panthers, Bengals, Chargers, and the Ravens (although Flacco is a tad overrated i feel) he wins games but idk as a life long eagles fan reminds of a potential future Donovan Mcnabb. Watch. Ray Lewis leaves and Flacco’s window is shut.

9. AlohaMrHand says: Mar 3, 2012 12:41 PM

And what was he supposed to say?Oh Peyton looks like crap.

10. IrsaysTwitterThumb says: Mar 3, 2012 12:43 PM

This fan thinks he looks like Manning in that youtube video. A Manning who isn’t having a very good day.

11. packerman1968 says: Mar 3, 2012 12:52 PM

Archie only knocks other QB’s who might take his boy’s jobs.

12. linder10 says: Mar 3, 2012 1:01 PM

Everyone knows this, Peyton is the favorite son. Eli just won a Super Bowl. But, who cares? Peyton’s recovering!

13. chadmurdigan says: Mar 3, 2012 1:06 PM

The Manning PR machine just keeps on humming! I’ve lost all respect for Peyton and Archive at this point.

Eli’s the class act in this family.

14. mhohmann says: Mar 3, 2012 1:08 PM

Peyton will be a Jet

15. atrophiedambitions says: Mar 3, 2012 1:22 PM

Peyton won’t be a Jet – he’s looking for a place to finish his career and I don’t know if you all were watching, but the Jets just had a thermonuclear drama explosion in their locker room at the end of last season. Even if he makes a full recovery, 2012 could likely be his last season for many other reasons. The last thing he wants to do is spend the twilight of his career picking-up the pieces of a team shattered by Rex Ryan’s hubris. No way he’s a Jet in 2012.

16. majbobby says: Mar 3, 2012 1:22 PM

And Peyton responds with “Thanks Dad”

17. agelardi says: Mar 3, 2012 1:23 PM

Sounds like a typical dad, of course he’s not going to say one negative thing about his son’s performance.

18. dalucks says: Mar 3, 2012 1:27 PM

What did you expect him to say, I saw him throw and it was terrible. I hope he is fully healed and gets his arm strength back. I enjoy watching #18 play.

19. waitingguilty says: Mar 3, 2012 1:29 PM

I understand all the scrutiny and media coverage, this is one of the best QBs to ever play.

But honestly, all any team needs to do is ask Manning “Is it likely you’ll be good to go this year?”

He is not going to try and con a team, if he says he’s OK he’s probably OK.

It’s not like he needs the money or ding to his legacy by cashing another check for being on IR.

If I’m MIA or WAS or AZ etc. I just ask if he’s straight…if he says yes I make a run at him midnight March 13.

20. stevenfbrackett says: Mar 3, 2012 1:56 PM

Does Archie feel it necessary to intrude in every other area of his kids’ lives, too?

They are grown men. Let them be grown men, Archie. Shut the hell up and let them handle their own business.

21. 6kings says: Mar 3, 2012 1:58 PM

Joe Webb is the man in Minny!

22. tfbuckfutter says: Mar 3, 2012 2:14 PM

Of course he looks like Peyton.

Ain’t nobody else on earth that looks like Peyton. So who the hell could he confuse him with?

23. mdc21787 says: Mar 3, 2012 3:46 PM

best place for peyton is arizona. nice weather, cool uni’s, and fitz. defenses play harder when they know their offense will produce (see 2011 broncos). as a skins fan, i hope he doesnt come to DC, we need a young guy but arizona seems to be the perfect fit

24. Mike Woods says: Mar 3, 2012 4:05 PM

I would like to see Peyton finish his career in Indianapolis.

25. brenenostler says: Mar 3, 2012 4:29 PM

I’m picking the Minnesota Vikings as my dark horse to land Peyton.

Keep in mind Leslie Frazier coached for the Colts before he went to Minnesota.

26. golonger says: Mar 3, 2012 5:08 PM

So, does that mean he saw his son throwing INTs just like he used to??? LOL

I think it is time for Archie to go through with that much needed cataract surgery!

27. voyager6 says: Mar 3, 2012 5:25 PM

Archie: Used QB salesman. Only driven by a little old team from Indy!

28. scomibord says: Mar 3, 2012 5:55 PM

I doubt his dad or his brother are going to come out and say is arm is a wet noodle, who else has seen him throw?

29. steelerswin6 says: Mar 3, 2012 8:21 PM

Throwing is one thing, what about when he gets hit , again and again and again. Can’t believe anyone is going to want to take that chance …..

30. 49ersallday says: Mar 4, 2012 1:13 AM

Wow u guys are a joke whoever is dogging one of the greatest qbs to play the game , he will be fine he will turn around any bad offense he goes to, example Indy was a great team 2 years ago without him the worst team shows how much he’s worth, I’m a niner fan I’d love for him to come to sf , even if u have a young qb imagine the mentoring hed do