Joe Gibbs “shocked” Gregg Williams had bounties in Washington

Daytona 500 - Qualifying Getty Images

Shortly after the news broke that longtime NFL assistant Gregg Williams orchestrated a system of bounties during his time as defensive coordinator of the Saints, a report surfaced that Williams did the same thing as defensive coordinator of the Redskins. But Williams’s boss in Washington, Joe Gibbs, says that comes as news to him.

“Just let me say this: I’m not aware of anything like this when I was coaching there,” Gibbs told the Washington Post. “I would never ask a player to hurt another player. Never.”

That may sound tough to swallow — could the head coach really be that out of touch about what’s going on in his locker room? — but Gibbs insists it’s the truth.

“I wouldn’t ever tell a player to hurt somebody,” Gibbs said. “They may say, ‘Well, Joe would know, because everybody else knew.’ But I didn’t know. I’m shocked by this.”

Bolstering Gibbs’ claim of ignorance is the fact that he was always very hands-off with his defense. Gibbs was an offensive coach who delegated everything on the defensive side of the ball to his assistants. As just one example, when Williams decided to pay tribute to Sean Taylor by putting only 10 players on the field for the Redskins’ first defensive play after Taylor’s death, Gibbs knew nothing about it.

And Gibbs says he knew nothing about bounties, either.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
33 Responses to “Joe Gibbs “shocked” Gregg Williams had bounties in Washington”
  1. downslide33 says: Mar 3, 2012 9:36 AM

All Gibbs is doing is trying to cover his ass. There’s no way in hell the heaad coach doesnt know !

2. packattack1967 says: Mar 3, 2012 9:37 AM

Ok sure Captain Renault, anything you say.

3. thejuddstir says: Mar 3, 2012 9:38 AM

Gibbs was a class act, a throwback to other great coaches like Tom Landry, Chuck Knoll, Bud Grant etc. whereas the majority of today’s coaches are too concerned with “win now” and at all costs. Rex Ryan knew about his assistant that tripped an opposing player when he was trying to cover a kick, just as Bellichek knew about the illegal taping, and Sean Payton and Jeff Fischer knew about Gregg Williams. For those that are too young to remember or know, football today is great entertainment but it’s not the sport it use to be and it’s a real shame.

4. skinsrollyou says: Mar 3, 2012 9:41 AM

I love joe. U know he ain’t lying.

5. rdrs68 says: Mar 3, 2012 9:41 AM

It is officially CYA time in the NFL.

6. teehov843 says: Mar 3, 2012 9:44 AM

I believe coach Gibbs. Now if it was Buddy Ryan, that would be a different story! LOL!

7. bucks12965 says: Mar 3, 2012 9:44 AM

Gibbs was also shocked to learn that Lavar Arrington was actually a better player than Warrick Holdman.

8. seanb20124 says: Mar 3, 2012 9:46 AM

Probably did not know about all the cocaine abuse by players in
    Early 80′s. Dexter, Tony Peters, Barry Wilburn to name a few

9. bigdaddy44 says: Mar 3, 2012 9:47 AM

Knowing the type of high character person Joe Gibbs is, I want to believe him. But what does it say about Gibbs the coach if this practice was going with his football team and he was totatlly in the dark?

I still wonder what diving at the knees and taking out the best quarterback in football for a whole season, plus a second season of trying to find his game again would be worth. I hope some reporter has the guts to ask Bernard Pollard or any member of that Chiefs team if he was rewarded for doing a Louganis on Brady’s knees.

10. glac1 says: Mar 3, 2012 9:52 AM

Every coach in New Orleans has to be fired and banned from the game. Every player involved needs to be cut and banned from football, and the organization should forfeit their next five first and second round picks. If they argue then their franchise should be revoked. What a sorry organization.

11. vols84 says: Mar 3, 2012 9:52 AM

Joe put a bounty out on Tony Stewart after he left JGR.

12. httr21hightilidie says: Mar 3, 2012 9:57 AM

this still doesnt change the fact that sean taylor was the hardest hitter in the league and there will never be another MEAST.

13. vikingsnorth says: Mar 3, 2012 9:57 AM

Flabbergasted!
    I’m not sure which is more embarrasing… getting caught injuring players, or all the idiots coming out of the woodwork completely lying. (Yesss you Sharper. Douche.)

14. dirtydrynn27 says: Mar 3, 2012 9:58 AM

And I believe you Joe! You always were a classy coach and I really do not think that you would condone this type of activity!

15. bigdicebuddha says: Mar 3, 2012 9:58 AM

I’m a Giants fan.

I believe Gibbs 100%.

16. kegowhisky says: Mar 3, 2012 10:01 AM

With what I know of Joe Gibbs as a most honorable man and coach, this doesn’t surprise me at all. If Joe had known Williams had a bounty system in place, I think he’d have kicked his tail to the curb and into the sewer drain.

17. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Mar 3, 2012 10:01 AM

ANYONE that knows anything about Joe Gibbs knows he would never allow that. He just simply wouldn’t. He’s not wired that way. He’d rather lose playing the right way than win doing it the wrong way. Period.

18. httr21hightilidie says: Mar 3, 2012 10:02 AM

rewatching that video makes me hate laron landry 10x more…

19. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Mar 3, 2012 10:04 AM

I think they need a six figure fine(can’t be as high as say being involved in killing someone…Ray Ray) but spygatge high. Also he really should get a year suspension. Sux for the Rams, but he’s made his own bed…

20. marcinhouston says: Mar 3, 2012 10:04 AM

When Gibbs ran a car racing seat, he had no idea that the cars exceeded the national highway speed limit of 70mph.

21. cdrion21 says: Mar 3, 2012 10:37 AM

Im a skins fan and love Joe Gibss but if I remember correctly the second time he retired Williams was the front runner for replacing him but a story broke that he went to Snyder and told Snyder not to give Williams the job and it was never released why Gibbs had done that

22. goblue714 says: Mar 3, 2012 10:42 AM

Everyone is acting like whimps on here. News flash people the NFL is a violent league all based on winning. If a player can kick your asses you hit that guy hard as possible and take him out. It’s as old as the league itself.

23. sean21taylorrip says: Mar 3, 2012 10:51 AM

Peyton Manning’s neck got twisted pretty good one time playing the Redskins, which there is speculation that was the beginning of his neck problems. I wonder if Gregg Williams was the DC that season.

24. tmkelley1 says: Mar 3, 2012 10:54 AM

Joe Gibbs is the ultimate class act, and it is just not his nature to allow anything like that to occur. I know there is a large group of people out there who believe that everyone who is successful has lied, cheated, and stolen to get there, but it simply is not always true. If Gibbs says it, you can take it to the bank.

25. mike95kim says: Mar 3, 2012 12:32 PM

I think the league kind of knew about Gregg William’s style and reputation. How else would a top notch defense coordinator keep getting passed for a head coaching job?

26. themonster49 says: Mar 3, 2012 12:35 PM

It doesn’t matter who says they didn’t know at this point. We will find out who really knew when the NFL tells us.

27. enx31 says: Mar 3, 2012 12:49 PM

He’s not lying. But it does speak to the hands off coaching style of the past. The point is he really should have known.

28. blackqbwhiterb says: Mar 3, 2012 1:13 PM

best thing on PFT today is that video of Sean Taylor highlights…Boy, if that kid would have lived, the player he could have been……a damn shame….

29. toiletking says: Mar 3, 2012 1:28 PM

Joe Gibbs has more credibility than anyone in football. A truly class act and a truly great man.

On the flip side, I think putting bounties on players is kind of funny. It makes me want to watch some of those games again.

30. dcfan4life says: Mar 3, 2012 2:14 PM

Gibbs ALWAYS relegated defensive duties. Always, ony every team. He hired tip assistants and said handle defense, i got offense. When i went to their practices you NEVER saw Gibbs with the defense, ever. Hell the only time he mingled with them was during stretching and like 7 on 7 drills. I believe him 100%. If Gibbs was guilty he wouldn’t lie, not in his character. And for all of you saying he is full of it, meet the man first, know his history, and then make a comment.

31. rob0527 says: Mar 3, 2012 2:34 PM

Gibbs is a class guy, and wouldn’t tolerate any bounties. He looked for every advantage to win, but wouldn’t try to hurt anyone in the process.

32. profootballwalk says: Mar 3, 2012 4:02 PM

Gibbs should have half the credit taken away for winning Super Bowls. He says himself that he didn’t know what was going on with half his team.

33. dikshuttle says: Mar 5, 2012 10:51 AM

Onion otherhand – Coach Allen would buy you a TV.

& Walk – Petibon got loads of credit over the years – it even got him a possibly undeserved nod at HC.

Gibbs pt. 1 wins required staunch, controlling defense. That was part of the problem w. Double G’s system that allows for huge gains =- doesn’t work w. what Gibbs does. Hence all the Saudners’s et al in Gibbs pt.2