Terrell Suggs says the lockout made him better

Cleveland Browns v Baltimore Ravens Getty Images

Looking back on a 2011 in which he was named the NFL’s defensive player of the year, Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs says it all started with the lockout.

According to Suggs, a relaxing spring and summer free of minicamps and organized team activities was just what his body needed to be rested and at peak form in the fall.

“Last year, to be totally honest with you, I had the time of my life during the lockout and wasn’t in a hurry to get back to work,” Suggs said on WHB in Kansas City, via SportsRadioInterviews.com. “I think that’s why, in total, I ended up having the season that I did. A lot of guys ended up pushing themselves too hard and ended up getting hurt trying to get ready for mini-camps and OTAs. Fortunately we didn’t have that burden on our shoulders and that’s why I think I had a great year.”

Suggs said he’s expecting to thoroughly enjoy this offseason as well, and that time to unwind off the field is an important part of being a productive player on the field.

“We get to have real life,” Suggs said. “This is going to be awesome.”

If an awesome offseason is what it takes for Suggs to play in 2012 like he did in 2011, the Ravens should encourage him to take all the time off he wants.

Permalink 15 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
15 Responses to “Terrell Suggs says the lockout made him better”
  1. hotdog113 says: Mar 3, 2012 3:13 PM

Suggs is incredibly overrated. He has one passrush move, the move to the outside.

He only has good games against weak teams. Where was he against the pats or texans? He had one lucky play against the Texans, so people think he had a great game.

He had a huge game against the Niners…who refused to help out their left tackle. I really think that the Niners…by not rushing more than 4 and not double teaming Suggs, threw that game.

Over paid, and over rated. Boulware and McRary are 10 times the player this guy is. People need to stop worshipping him and see him for what he is…an above average one trick pony.

2. rajirog says: Mar 3, 2012 3:14 PM

You get to have a real life? Really them why don’t you stop your bitching and join us in the workforce and have a real life.

3. pudgalvin says: Mar 3, 2012 3:15 PM

I hate to break it to ya Terrell, but getting 4 months of the year off while having millions of dollars to do whatever you want isn’t quite “real life.”

4. nygf says: Mar 3, 2012 3:15 PM

:Terrell Suggs says the lockout made him better”

So what’s the Eagles’ excuse?

5. The Buffer Zone says: Mar 3, 2012 3:17 PM

Players with his drive won’t allow themselves to fall below what is expected of them because they expect more from themselves than others do.

If relaxing in the offseason keeps him loose and playing that good when it counts, more power to him!

6. mdc21787 says: Mar 3, 2012 3:44 PM

obv he means “real life” in the context of not having to work out at team facilities, practice twice a day, and deal with coaches and trainers. family time, vacation time, watch some tv, play some xbox. get off the dudes nuts.

7. ticalcaldwell says: Mar 3, 2012 3:44 PM

====================================

I am a Bengals fan….Suggs was the best defensive guy in the league last year….ballsohard university…..I love it….

8. txnsvols0489 says: Mar 3, 2012 5:06 PM

If only the lockout could have made his teeth look better

9. johntonioholmes says: Mar 3, 2012 5:22 PM

I gained a lot of respect for Suggs after his Bayless interview. That was classic and he was actually very likeable.

But he beat up on weak tackles this year. 9 sacks in 3 games and 4 in the other 13 is just not that impressive.

He was invisible in the playoffs, too, which confirms that he had trouble against good tackles.

I’ve been impressed with him before. And he impressed me a few times this season, but on the whole I just thought he was inconsistent. Way to inconsistent for DPOY, in my opinion.

He’s had better seasons, so I’m not sure if the lockout really made him better. Made it just made 3 left tackles a little worse!

Either way, he’s a solid defender.

10. 6thsense79 says: Mar 3, 2012 5:37 PM

hotdog113 says: Mar 3, 2012 3:13 PM

—………………………………………………

Your analysis makes no sense. If Suggs is extremely overrated why are you suggesting the 49ers should have double teamed him? Most players that are extremely
    overrated don’t require a double team.

11. northsidesteel says: Mar 3, 2012 5:55 PM

As a Steeler fan, I have to say that I love Suggs, the guy plays with incredible intensity and intelligence. He has become the one guy I watch when we play the Ravens, no disrespect to the rest of the defense, but I am always afraid he is one play away from ending Ben’s career.

12. eaglez10 says: Mar 3, 2012 6:12 PM

He was completely shut down this year. He’s trying to make himself look good where were u at druing the playoffs?

13. hnrqoliv says: Mar 4, 2012 1:34 AM

====================================

———-

I’m a bengals fan too… If you were a bengals fan you should know Andrew Whitworth shuts him down every time they play.

How suggs got DPOY over Jared Allen, let alone Justin Smith is beyond me.

14. The Buffer Zone says: Mar 4, 2012 2:26 AM

eaglez10,

Well, Suggs was actually in the playoffs after putting up enough of an effort & stats to earn DPOY. Shut down all year? If he was, then his name wouldn’t have even come close to any award.

The real question:
    Where were your Eagles at any point this year? They took home the “Biggest Disappointment” trophy & could easily suffer the same fate this year. I’d stop throwing stones…

15. enx31 says: Mar 4, 2012 3:06 AM

I agree with him. Being a loud-mouthed, dirty player takes added focus and requires frequent afternoon naps.