Cortland Finnegan: Titans don’t want me, I don’t know why

Cortland Finnegan, Kyle Orton AP

Titans cornerback Cortland Finnegan will test free agency after the team declined to use the franchise tag on him today, and Finnegan said he’s sure he’ll leave because the team doesn’t want him.

“It is bittersweet,” Finnegan told Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean. “For six years I played in the Titans organization. I am grateful and humbled that the Titans took a chance on me and the way they matured me over the years. But I understand it is a business. My ultimate goal was to retire [in Tennessee], but I can’t control that. They wanted to move on, honestly. I don’t know why, and I don’t know what else a guy could do career-wise and in the community.”

The Titans took Finnegan in the seventh round of the 2006 NFL draft and he has developed into a consistent starter in their secondary, but he and the Titans didn’t see eye to eye on what kind of contract he deserved. Finnegan’s camp has suggested that he deserves to make $10 million a year, and the Titans aren’t looking to offer him that much.

In fact, Finnegan said that the Titans aren’t looking to offer him anything.

“The Titans told us they were not going to offer us a deal this year, so that is pretty black and white to me,” Finnegan said. “They didn’t franchise me and they could have and they told us they weren’t going to offer us a deal. So this is all on the Titans.”

Although Finnegan said he knows it’s a business, he also comes across as though his feelings are hurt.

“It just baffles me that we never got anything from them,” he said. “I don’t know what I did to turn them off on me. I felt I did everything I could do. But everyone moves on, it is a business.”

Now Finnegan will turn his attention to the business side of things and look to sign a lucrative contract elsewhere.

Permalink 41 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
41 Responses to “Cortland Finnegan: Titans don’t want me, I don’t know why”
  1. DreJohnson80 says: Mar 5, 2012 5:32 PM

Maybe they are still embarrassed from him getting his butt whopped by Andre, lol.

2. martylaughlin says: Mar 5, 2012 5:33 PM

you overachieved with limited talent and they knew they knew it.

Used and abused for 6 years, then spit out when the end is nearing without even so much as an offer. Pretty typical NFL move..

3. waxthat says: Mar 5, 2012 5:34 PM

Andre 1
    Cortland 0

4. packfntk says: Mar 5, 2012 5:34 PM

Andre Johnson likes this.

5. pnut87 says: Mar 5, 2012 5:35 PM

Maybe it’s because he’s got his own personal storm cloud of a reputation. Not that great a player either.

6. iluvbears says: Mar 5, 2012 5:36 PM

I think Mr. Finnegan would fit nicely in Minnesota. He would bring a more physical style of play to the Vikings defensive backfield that they have been missing for quite a while.

7. ppc50 says: Mar 5, 2012 5:36 PM

Well, you have a place in Dallas that you can call your new home.

8. indyseriesnick says: Mar 5, 2012 5:37 PM

remember when this hothead got in a fight with andre johnson…
    my point made

9. duanethomas says: Mar 5, 2012 5:37 PM

There a alot of reasons why the Titans didnt offer as you can find a compentent safety pretty cheap. They found him in the seventh round and will find another one, safeties are a dime a dozen. Cant have an safety get owned by a wideout in a fight. Good riddance and quit whining like a little girl you cheapshot artist.

10. mrbigass says: Mar 5, 2012 5:40 PM

Come over to the Texans so Andre can finished what he started……..whiny ass jerk

11. trbowman says: Mar 5, 2012 5:41 PM

Yeah, neither do I. Why don’t they want to bring him back? Pretty underrated CB if you ak me.

12. mgm36 says: Mar 5, 2012 5:43 PM

the titans don’t want you because your football skills are evaporating AND because you’re a sorry excuse for a human being. signed, Andre Johnson

13. dacapt704 says: Mar 5, 2012 5:47 PM

duanethomas says:
    Mar 5, 2012 5:37 PM

———————————————-
    You DO know that he plays CB right??? And hes actually one of the better man to man guys in the league. Not 10 milly good but to not offer a contract is puzzling. Oh well, come to Carolina bro!

14. nflofficeadmin says: Mar 5, 2012 5:47 PM

He got worked by Andre Johnson. The public humiliation was too much for the Titns to invite him back after getting de-balled for spectacularly.

15. shanehockey28 says: Mar 5, 2012 5:49 PM

duanethomas says:
    Mar 5, 2012 5:37 PM

He is actually a CB but no need to nit pick. He is actually a pretty CB yes he can be a db but he is a pretty good competitor who I would love to have on my team.

16. kingtntitan says: Mar 5, 2012 5:53 PM

As a Titans fan, I know he is trying to spin the PR game toward him. He left camp lied about it, so why would we believe his one side right now.

Point is he made it be known through conversations with Agent to the Front office what money he is looking for and the Titans weren’t going to pay that…

You don’t have to make an offer when you know a player isn’t going to accept it. Titans had a price for him and Finny wasn’t going to accept less.

That is what you did Finny. Just say, I wanted more money and don’t try to spin it. We will still respect you. We love what you did with the Titans. But you basically are pricing yourself out of town. They would be more than happy to have you back at what you were making now..but you want to almost triple your salary.

17. dowhatifeellike says: Mar 5, 2012 5:56 PM

Since Jeff Fischer isn’t around, being one of the dirtiest players in the league isn’t looked on quite as favorably.

18. rexismybff says: Mar 5, 2012 5:59 PM

Andre Johnson can beat me up too if it means Jerry Jones will hand me $10 million a year.

Just don’t touch my face, Andre. I need my good looks…

19. jeffchadwick says: Mar 5, 2012 5:59 PM

duanethomas says:
    Mar 5, 2012 5:37 PM

3 14 i Rate This

_________________________________

I’m not sure where to begin with this one. How about we start with the fact that Finnegan plays corner?

20. realitypolice says: Mar 5, 2012 5:59 PM

Simple really.

When you are an average cornerback and your opening request is 10 million a year, you put the writing firmly on the wall that you have very unrealistic expectations and will difficult to deal with.

The Titans weighed the time and effort that it would take to sign you, added in the possibility of missing out on other replacements while they fought with your outlandish expectations, and decided to pass.

Might I suggest new representation heading into free agency. Sounds like you may need it.

21. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Mar 5, 2012 6:01 PM

trbowman says:
    Mar 5, 2012 5:41 PM

I’m booking marking this page so I can bring it back up at the end of next year. Underrated is far from it imo. If w/e team he signs with doesn’t have a pass rush, well you’ll see what happens.

22. shotgunformation5wide says: Mar 5, 2012 6:04 PM

Two Words – Bud Adams. He’s the sorriest excuse for an owner if i saw one. They have one of the lowest salary cap numbers for a reason. They’ve never won a superbowl for a reason …. and it’s not because they know what they’re doing. This guy has been fielding a losing team for well over 50 years ….. way before you were born.

Good luck in your future endeavors!!!!

23. 730boy says: Mar 5, 2012 6:08 PM

As a Titans fan it will suck to see him go, but I can understand why they wouldnt want him back. He isnt worth $10 mil a season hes just more of a physical presence than a good skilled player. I will say that he is one of the best players when it comes to the community and charities you cant take that away from the guy, some athletes who make millions dont give anything back. As for the Andre Johnson fight, look at the size difference the man stood up to him what more can you ask

24. mempusa says: Mar 5, 2012 6:11 PM

Dallas or Tampa Bay

25. pskotte says: Mar 5, 2012 6:13 PM

Come to Cincy, you’ll get lots of luv.

26. lolb23 says: Mar 5, 2012 6:17 PM

remember when this hothead got in a fight with andre johnson…
    my point made
    ______________________________

Your real point is an example to all young children – your public reputation can be ruined with only one bad incident.

27. philo13181 says: Mar 5, 2012 6:19 PM

From pft.com 2/20/12:

Before last season, the Titans offered cornerback Cortland Finnegan a contract worth roughly $28 million over four years. Finnegan’s camp wanted a deal greater than Johnathan Joseph’s five-year, $48.75 million deal.

The Titans DID offer him a contract but he rejected a it and made it clear that they were VERY far apart on what he is worth.

The Titans didn’t want you because you have grossly over valued yourself Cortland…that’s why

28. kwazulu50 says: Mar 5, 2012 6:25 PM

That’s because the Titans will give you an offer and then you’ll be just as offended that gave you such a “low-ball”. Just accept that the Titans thought they were OK at corner, and there’s another team that can afford that $10M/year price tag who will need your services more. If it’s business, why take it personally???

29. thraiderskin says: Mar 5, 2012 6:49 PM

I do not care for this little pip-squeek, but I’d take him on the Redskins.

30. ajtexans says: Mar 5, 2012 6:53 PM

It’s ‘Innegan’ because Andre beat the F out of him. Hope the Vikings sign him so Andre can work him again this year. Otherwise it just won’t be the same without that little twerp in the division.

31. knicks4life says: Mar 5, 2012 6:56 PM

Tampa would be a good fit

32. footballfanman says: Mar 5, 2012 7:07 PM

Welcome to Washington Cortland.

33. purplekoolaid1 says: Mar 5, 2012 7:17 PM

Bookmark this page now to mark my words, because Finnegan will NOT be getting $10 million per year from any team, even if Jerry Jones is involved.

I can see him getting in the neighborhood between $7-8 per year.

If I’m wrong, I will wear a new wig that looks worse than the one that I already wear.

34. bucwild05 says: Mar 5, 2012 7:30 PM

so he got beat by the #1 receiver in the league, and you all are dogging him like he’s horrible…. I live in Nashville, I’ve seen this guy’s intensity, and heart for the game. I have seen him get involved in the community here. I wish more NFL Players were like him.

He’s a fan favorite here. As I Buccaneers Fan, I pray that we see him go there. Bucs have the money, he wants 10 mil a year… PAY HIM…. C’mon Tampa!

35. cags777 says: Mar 5, 2012 7:31 PM

A couple of thoughts. First, Cortland Finnegan picked a fight with Andre Johnson and lost. Second, he showed up for camp last summer then pulled a CJ by leaving and holding out.

Finnegan is an average cornerback at best who is looking for too much money. If I were an owner in need of a cornerback, I would rather take my chances on Brandon Carr.

36. totallyuselessme says: Mar 5, 2012 7:42 PM

Jerry Jones is already sizing up the star for Finnegan’s helmet.

37. cliffordc05 says: Mar 5, 2012 7:53 PM

Its pretty simple. The Titans do not think he is worth franchise tag money for a corner. I don’t either. He also made it known that he was not signing for anything less. If a guy won’t accept anything less than a certain amount and you aren’t going to pay him that much money then there is no deal.

I don’t think he will get what he wants in free agency. Rogers was a similar type of talent last year and had to accept a one year deal with San Francisco. He played well and may be able to turn that into a long term deal this year.

38. djstat says: Mar 5, 2012 8:10 PM

Cause you talk the talk but cannot walk the walk

39. rascalmanny says: Mar 5, 2012 10:00 PM

Not every Titans fan is a Finnegan fan.

He was voted to be a leader on the team yet we saw very little leadership on the field. But we DID see some immature actions off the field.

He was offered a contract and turned it down. His choice. I’m glad the Titans held their ground in this matter.

I just wish the Titans had gone a different route with regards to Griffin.

40. daley814 says: Mar 5, 2012 10:54 PM

for the record…that fight was started by Andre Johnson…finny was jamming him on the line all day and Andre Johnson lost his cool…

now as for cortland…he’s a good physical corner that plays a press coverage a lot…not seen so much anymore considering all corners wanna be a playmaker…

id he worth ten million a year…id say give him a one year contract and let him prove him self

now he’s also a great community guy…he does give a lot back to the kids and fans of the Titans and the nfl

41. quittsburghstoolers says: Mar 6, 2012 8:05 AM

The Titans made Finny an offer before last
    season & he walked out for a few days over it.
    The Titans figured he wanted a lot more than they
    were willing to give so they are letting him leave.

If he really wanted to stay, he could have taken
    Tennessee’s offer. But he wants to get paid as
    much as possible so there ya go…