Griffin says being ignored by Colts would be “in the back of your mind”

Robert Griffin III AP

In 1998, when the Colts were wrestling with the question of whether to use the first overall pick in the 1998 draft on Peyton Manning or Ryan Leaf (yes, they actually did wrestle with that question), Manning had a warning for the Colts.

“I asked if I could see Bill Polian before I left the building,” Manning told Peter King of SI.com in 2008. “So I went into his office, and Bill and coach [Jim] Mora were in there.  Those are two of the most intimidating people I have ever known, and here I was, wanting to know what they were going to do.  To be honest, I felt they were kind of stringing me along.  So I said, ‘I’d really like to come here if you want me.  But if you don’t, I promise you I’ll come back and kick your ass for the next 15 years.'”

So with the Colts apparently not wrestling with the question of whether to use the first overall pick in the 2012 draft on Andrew Luck or Robert Griffin III but by all appearances locked in on Luck, I asked Griffin on Tuesday’s PFT Live how he feels about the perception that the Colts aren’t giving him serious consideration to be the first overall pick in the draft.

“If that’s the case, life isn’t fair and I’m not really worried about it,” Griffin said.  “I don’t want people to think that I’m so focused in on getting drafted No. 1 overall that I’ll be ungrateful wherever else I go.”

But will the slight be in the back of Griffin’s mind?

“I mean, I try not to play with vendettas,” Griffin said.  “You don’t want to act like you’re trying to get out there and get revenge on anybody.  But it’s always in the back of your mind.

“And I think that’s what Peyton [was] saying. . . .  It just lets you know he look they passed up on you in the draft, let’s go show them why they shouldn’t have done that. . . . You just know that in your mind, and sometimes it is a little bit of extra motivation.”

The full Griffin interview can be seen by watching the full show in the right rail, by checking out the PFT Live home page, or by downloading the show on iTunes.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 45 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cleveland Browns, Indianapolis Colts, Miami Dolphins, Rumor Mill, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
45 Responses to “Griffin says being ignored by Colts would be “in the back of your mind””
  1. nflfollower says: Mar 6, 2012 6:38 PM

Every year a lot of guys use this for motivation. It’s not really a big deal, it seems to fade over time. Randy moss was pissed his rookie year and look at the results… Then it wore off. And you get randy playing when he wants to.

2. cardmagnet says: Mar 6, 2012 6:40 PM

Randy Moss ala 1998 with the Cowboys.

3. indywilson40 says: Mar 6, 2012 6:40 PM

Andrew Luck>RG3. Can’t fault the Colts for taking the better player.

4. ravensfreak00 says: Mar 6, 2012 6:40 PM

I like this guy and the confidence he has in his abilities. I could see him being better than Andrew Luck if he prepares as hard as he says he will.

5. packattack1967 says: Mar 6, 2012 6:42 PM

Having something to prove is not a bad thing.

Signed ,

Aaron Rodgers

6. realitypolice says: Mar 6, 2012 6:46 PM

I don’t think RGIII should consider himself snubbed. There are plenty of perfectly reasonable arguments why Luck is the better prospect, plus he has been in the national spot light for so much longer.

Now, if something really ridiculous happened, like the Rams staying at two and not taking him, or someone trading up and then not taking him, that would be a different story.

Of course, I think there is a better chance that I will get drafted than either of those two things happening.

7. croghan1919 says: Mar 6, 2012 6:50 PM

I watched Griffin regurgitate a pro style play a few minutes after Mariucce(sp?) showed it to him…almost vertibatim.
    I was imprressed.

8. rwmilli says: Mar 6, 2012 6:53 PM

Easy to sit back and say luck is the better player, but you’d just be all up on his nuts….truth is, griffin is a more impressive athlete, as far as being a physical specimen…reality is these guys have only played college ball…lots of guys go way late in the draft and they become stars in the NFL…you can’t sit back and say anybody’s better until they have both established an NFL career…what do you have to base luck being better than griffin other than college ball…which means nothing when your now in the NFL

9. dawglbfan says: Mar 6, 2012 7:02 PM

Man its going to be awesome to see Miami get Peyton and Flynn go to Washington and have Griffin fall to the Browns at 4. He’ll be upset for an hour until we draft his buddy Kendal Wright at 22.

10. justanotherdummy says: Mar 6, 2012 7:02 PM

I could not care less who gets picked first. I am sick of reading about, talking about it, I just want the draft to be here now. The hype is starting to outweigh its ability to keep me interested. I am tired of these kids who have yet to play a down in the NFL. I just want it to be opening day 2012.

11. thetooloftools says: Mar 6, 2012 7:04 PM

It’s business. It’s not personal. Payton Manning cannot possibly expect Mr. Irsay to pay him over $25 million more $ AGAIN this year and HOPE he can play. Irsay cannot afford to pay Manning for what he did yesterday. It’s a stupid business move. If Manning feels guilty about taking ALL THAT $ from last year while not playing a down and not resign for less money, then he’s just as much to blame for being greedy. Sorry PAIDton Manning… you got yours… I wouldn’t trash my cap space to keep you around and you can forget that “aw shucks” neck talk… your a businessman too.
    I was born at night, just not last night.
    Andrew Luck may not even get to be the first. RG III really really smart and extremely athletic and The Colts have been known to deviate from the “norm” before.

12. babyhorsemorgan says: Mar 6, 2012 7:07 PM

Gruesome runs fast in a straight line. Which will come in handy playing special teams. Nowhere else on the field, really.

13. waltdawg says: Mar 6, 2012 7:17 PM

RGIII will kill the Colts when the SKINS play them

14. wildbillesq says: Mar 6, 2012 7:53 PM

RGIII continues to say all the right things. How can you not like this kid?

15. linder10 says: Mar 6, 2012 7:57 PM

andrew luck may be a better qb now, but i think rg3 will end up with a more successful star studded career. Only time will tell…

16. gdeli says: Mar 6, 2012 8:13 PM

great career ahead of him UNLESS the dang saints/greg put a bounty on him.

17. corvusrex96 says: Mar 6, 2012 8:16 PM

Whether or not RG3 ends up having a greater career does not change the fact that as of right now , today, Andrew Luck is rated as a better QB option due to his play and skill assessments.

That is no knock on RG3 and quite honestly it is still shocking how high he has risen on the draft boards from where he was at prior to this past season.

18. effedinLA says: Mar 6, 2012 8:17 PM

Nice position to be in for the Colts. I don’t think there is a wrong choice here. Both of these guys are going to be successful. Neither one of them is Ryan Leaf!
    I just can’t see the Colts not picking the guy who’s name underneath that horseshoe logo would look best. The marketing group is going to mail it in for the next decade by putting Luck with that Horseshoe. It’s about $$ and marketing.

19. beefsbrother says: Mar 6, 2012 8:32 PM

There are just too many examples of the pro style pocket QB being more successful that the spread-style athlete. It’s not as though it’s a personal failure to be taken 2nd in the draft. Just suck it up and go win, RG3, this kind of whining is getting old fast (which means ESPN will harp on it for the next 7 weeks).

20. indywilson40 says: Mar 6, 2012 8:32 PM

Smart people, scouts, coaches and general managers prefer Luck. Fans prefer RG3. I’ll go with the former.

21. randomguy9999 says: Mar 6, 2012 8:49 PM

RG3 better get the back of his mind ready… because he was always gonna get passed….

The thing I don’t get is that whoever is advising him is letting him say non-stop for months that he’s a real contender for the first spot….

There is a healthy competitive spirit… then you go past that and start looking like a delusional kid that doesn’t have the maturity or common sense to intelligently play the situation for what it is…. this isn’t high school.

why push ego so hard that teams potentially begin to question your ability to maturely assess and react to important situations?

22. clayton43 says: Mar 6, 2012 8:52 PM

Couldnt that be said for all players in the top 10 every year… big deal… next article

23. peytonsneck18 says: Mar 6, 2012 8:52 PM

Welcome to indy Luck, and RG3 you are a good player and will be welcomed wherever your picked after my colts nab Luck!!

24. delmonte55 says: Mar 6, 2012 8:55 PM

RG3 loves to talk…..eventually it will get him in trouble. Draft Luck

25. natigator says: Mar 6, 2012 8:58 PM

Colts got it right in 98 by taking Manning over Leaf….for some reason I have this suspicion they might get it wrong by taking Luck over RG3.

I can only assume the Colts organization will be doing their due dilligence on both guys. If they are truly dialed in on Luck without giving RG3 a look, then their decision makers should be fired for negligence.

If they’ve done all the research they can do and decide to go with Luck (or RG3), more power to them and I hope it works out for them. When was the last time a team dumped a HOF QB for another HOF QB – San Francisco with Montana to Young?? Bledsoe was never at that level when he was pushed aside for Tom Brady

26. puckthefatriots says: Mar 6, 2012 9:00 PM

Luck is and will be the better QB…quit campaigning for the number one pick…you are not deserving..good luck in cleveland

27. hanktank88 says: Mar 6, 2012 9:20 PM

Welcome to Cleveland Mr. Griffin III.

Now do your best Otto Graham imitation, beat Pittsburgh and we’re all headed for a rosy future.

Signed

Dawg Pound Nation

28. descendency says: Mar 6, 2012 9:26 PM

When asked by the Colts why they should take Peyton Manning with the #1 overall pick, he replied “Because if I don’t, I’m going to kick your ass for the next 15 years.”

Sometimes, you just have to take it personally when a team decides you aren’t #1.

29. firstandonlywarning says: Mar 6, 2012 9:26 PM

Look at yet another soon to be massive bust run his mouth yet again.

Yet another warning flag with RGIII

Can’t wait to see him busted up on the field

30. mrslay1 says: Mar 6, 2012 9:33 PM

I hope all you griffin lovers remember all of his rants. He will be a bust, and be sure, plenty of us will remember and be laughing!

31. yevrag3535 says: Mar 6, 2012 10:18 PM

croghan1919 – who care what you say.

32. yevrag3535 says: Mar 6, 2012 10:23 PM

Dawg Pound Nation – what a bunch of loser those morons are. Wear dog masks to a football game, I’ll listen to what you say. I think you are scratching at the door, you better go out – come on loser- come on boy- good boy.

I say that with Steeler pride…..

33. rcali says: Mar 6, 2012 10:36 PM

He shouldn’t let it bother him. He did steal the Heisman, which usually does go to the best College football player. He’ll have a fine career.

34. scrotiemcb says: Mar 6, 2012 10:38 PM

I can definitely relate. It still shocks me awake now and then that Colt McCoy has it out for the Broncos, what with them taking Tebow over him a couple years back. That’ll be a dark day, when McCoy, all High Plains Drifter and stuff, strolls into Mile High to perpetrate some vengeance and all that… I get all sweaty and nervous just thinking about it.

35. whatswiththehate says: Mar 6, 2012 10:40 PM

Yet, another story about RG III where the “sports experts” are rubbing the fact that Luck has secure the number one position simply because they said how petty this sport has become.

This time last year these same fools were doing everything in their power to prevent Cam from going off the board first over Blaine.

It seems every year the same people pick the same type of QB to go off the draftboard first. So much for democracy and equality.

36. mrslay1 says: Mar 6, 2012 10:44 PM

I hope the clowns do get him! Let McCoy and Hillis go to a decent team that they will make great!

37. artisan3m says: Mar 6, 2012 11:03 PM

Griffin will benefit from not being drafted by the Colts. There is no “instant Manning” replacement and that will be expected of whomever steps in to replace Peyton. Luck is good ~ but he’s not Peyton Manning and that will be the standard by which the next Indy QB is judged. The spotlight will be intense and relentless in Indy. Sometimes that can be good ~ ~ ~ ~ sometimes not.

38. frankdatank23 says: Mar 6, 2012 11:13 PM

to all the dopes that cant read, chose not to, or are just plain stupid…… this is RG3’s response to questions in an interview. Anyone referring to his responses as rants, or running his mouth… can’t possibly understand how moronic they are…

39. preventoffense says: Mar 6, 2012 11:49 PM

Somebody has to be second. Following on the Manning story, would you rather have RGIII or Luck trying to kick your butt for 15 years? Neither.

40. truecowboyfan says: Mar 7, 2012 1:25 AM

ooooooohhhhhh, scary….. PLEASE!

41. tuckyous says: Mar 7, 2012 2:02 AM

I want to see this kid succeed, way more than I ever did for Cam. That being said, I’d hope for his sake he ends up anywhere but Washington.

42. truthserum4u says: Mar 7, 2012 2:17 AM

Never been the biggest fan of Manning, but after reading his comment to Mora & Polian, I like him that much more.

43. gmen1987 says: Mar 7, 2012 6:16 AM

artisan3m says: Mar 6, 2012 11:03 PM

=====================================
    As if going to Loserville (Cleveland) is any better.

44. pastabelly says: Mar 7, 2012 7:17 AM

It’s no great shame being selected second overall. He should just shut up and learn how to be a little graceful.

45. londonfletcher says: Mar 7, 2012 7:30 AM

“That’ll be a dark day, when McCoy, all High Plains Drifter and stuff, strolls into Mile High to perpetrate some vengeance and all that… I get all sweaty and nervous just thinking about it.”

Love the Eastwood reference!

While Peyton is a great QB, I am holding my breath for RGIII to come to Washington. We need to grow one of our own and stop picking up thirty-something’s. I know it’s Peyton and all, but still, he’ll just be a bandaid for two years tops. We need one of our own. Somebody to call ours, and I really think Griffin could be the guy. He seems to want it more than Luck for the simple fact that it’s a given that Luck is going first, plus if our o-line gets beat up again, like it did last year, at least you know Griffin can move. If you can’t fix your weakness, work around it to make yourself stronger.

HTTR