Josh Robinson, Combine’s fastest man, looks like a first-round pick

Josh Robinson, Mortez Thompson AP

The dust has settled from the NFL Scouting Combine, and it’s becoming clear that few players improved their draft stock as much as Josh Robinson, a cornerback from Central Florida.

With an official time of 4.33 seconds in the 40-yard dash, Robinson was the fastest player at the Combine. Merely being the fastest player at the Combine is no guarantee of a player being chosen in the first round, but a strong performance at the Combine is sure to get NFL teams taking a second look at a player’s tape, and there are good things to see on Robinson’s tape.

Robinson told reporters at the Combine that he decided to enter the draft early even though the NFL draft advisory board told him he wouldn’t go in the first three rounds of the draft. But NFL Network’s Mike Mayock said on Path to the Draft that he sees Robinson going a lot higher than that.

“He’s a 200-pound corner with long arms who ran a 4.3 at the Combine, and on top of the 4.3, he tested at the highest level in every measurable,” Mayock said. “That’s what the Combine’s for. We go back to the tape and see if it’s really 4.3 speed. I went back and watched two more tapes of him against Southern Miss and BYU, and the only criticism is that he goes flat-footed at the transition point. I know that because I used to do that. And what happens is when you go flat-footed trying to come out of that transition on a vertical is difficult. When you look at his numbers, 10 interceptions in three years, he will tackle, great transition out of pedal, driving on the football, I don’t think there’s any way this kid is getting out of the first round.”

That was a lucrative Combine showing for Robinson.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
30 Responses to “Josh Robinson, Combine’s fastest man, looks like a first-round pick”
  1. edmazeing1 says: Mar 6, 2012 6:24 AM

negative , My raiders do not have a first round pick!!

2. sportsmeccabi says: Mar 6, 2012 6:26 AM

As a UCF student, I can tell you who ever drafts this guy is going to love him. UCF’s scheme is primarily man to man, and this guy was a stud. He gave AJ Green all he could handle a year ago, doing a better job of covering him than most of the SEC.

3. factoryofsadness says: Mar 6, 2012 6:28 AM

Quite possibly the most over-hyped story since Ronnie Lott was coming into the league.

4. dewalt2990 says: Mar 6, 2012 6:30 AM

He better than Janoris Jenkins?

5. blackqbwhiterb says: Mar 6, 2012 6:40 AM

I’d love to see him in D.C., but I’m afraid we’re trading all our picks away for you-know-who

6. nflwatcher says: Mar 6, 2012 7:06 AM

Quite possibly the most under the radar story since Tom Brady was coming into the league.

7. IrsaysTwitterThumb says: Mar 6, 2012 7:12 AM

This is the part that gets me:

“I went back and watched two more tapes of him against Southern Miss and BYU”

You declared the guy from a second day pick to a first round pick based on his athleticism and two game tapes.

No wonder there are so many misses in the draft.

8. IrsaysTwitterThumb says: Mar 6, 2012 7:14 AM

Can somebody explain to me how a Hall of Famer can possibly be over-hyped?!

factoryofsadness says:
    Mar 6, 2012 6:28 AM

9. lombardihero says: Mar 6, 2012 7:25 AM

Is he better than Jenkins? In more way than one.

Way less risk Way less Baggage 3 less arrests 4 less children.

Now you decide who is better to draft.

10. lgbarn says: Mar 6, 2012 7:32 AM

factoryofsadness says:Mar 6, 2012 6:28 AM

————————————

Is that you Ryan Nece? I thought you and your dad patched things up. Ronnie Lott was most definately a stud in the secondary.

11. vincentbojackson says: Mar 6, 2012 7:45 AM

He’d be perfect for the Raiders, they only look at 40 times when preparing for the draft.

12. doggz109 says: Mar 6, 2012 7:59 AM

Denver will take him at #25……likely start opposite Champ next year. Need some youth in that secondary.

13. sj39 says: Mar 6, 2012 8:02 AM

^Long

14. shackdelrio says: Mar 6, 2012 8:06 AM

Sounds alot like Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie.

15. dawsonleery says: Mar 6, 2012 8:07 AM

Al is looking down, with a big smile on his face.

16. theshakeweight says: Mar 6, 2012 8:29 AM

So in other words, the raiders are trying hard to get a trade done to get into the 1st round

17. Patriot42 says: Mar 6, 2012 8:32 AM

It seems strange to me where a player has played in a bunch of games over his high school and college career and for some reason he is an unknown commodity until he has unveiled his talent in a setting of a few hours in the combine where he isn’t even in pads.

18. mrbigass says: Mar 6, 2012 9:03 AM

Just goes to show you that the draft is a gigantic crap shoot. This guy runs around at the combine and jumps from a 4th round pick to a 1st round pick. Foster is undrafted yet leads the league in rushing. I could go on.

I’m always amazed at how bad teams miss the boat on these picks……

19. addict2sport says: Mar 6, 2012 9:10 AM

Yeah that Lott kid was a bust. Never came close to living up to any hype. You’d think someone with that much hype would have at least won a few championships and revolutionized his position or something.

20. truthserum4u says: Mar 6, 2012 9:10 AM

I’ve read in numerous places he didn’t fair particularly well in the position drills at the combine and that his game film indicated he didn’t play to his timed 40 speed.

I thought teams were avoiding going down Mamula Road in recent years. Shocked Mayock is going there by claiming Robinson is jumping from outside the top 100 to the first round.

21. cmstrick says: Mar 6, 2012 9:16 AM

“That’s what the Combine’s for.”

Yep. Getting lazy scouts and ignorant GMs to draft untalented players because of their measurables.

22. vegaskid21 says: Mar 6, 2012 9:27 AM

I wonder what its like to run a 4.33??? That’s freaking flying!!!

23. cotts1 says: Mar 6, 2012 9:43 AM

Sounds like this guy is a perfect fit for my Lions!

24. cotts1 says: Mar 6, 2012 9:48 AM

truthserum4u says: Mar 6, 2012 9:10 AM

I think Mayock is one of the best evaluators of talent there is associated within the media.

25. imsorrybojackson says: Mar 6, 2012 9:58 AM

Mayock played football at Boston College and he’s still pretty tied to that program. UCF kicked off the season with a 30-3 mauling of BC, which featured a Robinson pick (and 30+ yard return) and some brutal tackles on defense and special teams. BC and UCF both stunk this year, but Robinson started things off right against Mayock’s alma mater. Surprised he missed that.

26. chalkruz1989 says: Mar 6, 2012 10:05 AM

Well I think if Josh Robinson played at USC or Notre Dame he would be a first round pick. I am a USC fan and too many times I see former Trojans go to the NFL and dissapear. These players from smaller D1 programs tend to be more successful because the target is smaller and they have a chip on there shoulder. 4.3 speed should help if asked to cover some of the burners that play on Sundays.

27. crr624 says: Mar 6, 2012 10:21 AM

@blackqbwhiterb

The Skins are pursuing Lord Voldemort??

28. rastaraider says: Mar 6, 2012 10:31 AM

He is pretty quick but idk bout a 1st rounder

29. truthserum4u says: Mar 6, 2012 11:04 AM

@ cotts1

I agree, but that doesn’t mean he’s always right. In fact, he’s had some major misses on his resume’ just like the rest.

30. itsmebobd says: Mar 6, 2012 3:33 PM

edmazeing1 says:
    Mar 6, 2012 6:24 AM
    negative , My raiders do not have a first round pick!!

****************************

Us bengals fans thank you so much for that too! I do feel sorry for you guys, carson palmer is really bad unless he has a completely clean pocket and all day to throw. Hope you guys get the best out of him, and have some success. But firing hue jackson was a bad move, the guy is one hell of a coach! :)