Manning makes trip to Miami

Reuters

Get used to it.

Until quarterback Peyton Manning, perhaps the biggest-name free agent since Reggie White (or ever), signs with a new team, his whereabouts will be scrutinized more closely than Lindsay Lohan’s.

According to NBC Miami, Manning is in Miami.  A flight carrying Manning landed at Opa-Locka Executive Airport, and he then got into a van.  (We’ve yet to determine whether Brad Childress was driving.)

Manning’s presence in Mami doesn’t mean he’s there to visit with the Dolphins.  As so many Dolphins fans point out, Manning has a house there.  (Hell, he’s rich enough to have a house in every NFL city.)

But the South Florida frenzy that already has emerged regarding Manning won’t be going anywhere until Manning makes his decision.  And until proven otherwise, I’ll continue to believe that Manning will, like Jim Harbaugh and Jeff Fisher before him, know that the key to getting the best offer elsewhere will be to get Dolphins owner Stephen Ross to open his wallet as wide as it will go.

88 responses to “Manning makes trip to Miami

1. Every body thought that Favre’s retirement saga was the most over the top…..Get ready!!!!!!

2. If Stephen Ross goes after Manning and does not sign him this will be another embarassment for the Miami franchise.

Marshall Faulk( don’t like) but he knows Peyton said he doesn’t think PM will play in the NFC against lil bro. I don’t see how Seattle/Arizona is a huge conflict as Washington. Because of Eli and a dysfunctional team I don’t see him in NY.

Kansas City has alot of cap space so signing him would not bankrupt the team.

If Miami does not land Peyton ???

3. He could have ahome in every NFL citiy but chose Miami. There’s obviously more to his decision than money but when Ross opens his wallet it will be quite full. Better to have tried and failed than never try.

4. How did Harbaugh use the Dolphins to drive up the price, he took $3M a year LESS to coach the Niners and accepted the same deal that was offered BEFORE Ross even flew to California.

5. And until proven otherwise, I’ll continue to believe that Manning will, like Jim Harbaugh and Jeff Fisher ….

Yea Mike, then you will forget you ever said such an incorrect statement. I don’t even want Manning in MIA, but I will settle for it.

6. Why do people think he is going to the highest bidder. Sure, he will be looking for a fair deal but from all the reports that I have seen he is out to win a SB. So that means he will be looking for a team that will give him the best chance of doing that.

7. babyhorsemorgan says:
    Mar 7, 2012 5:31 PM
    Peyton has a home in Miami. Known as the Shady Acres Retirement Center. Shares it with 147 other people.

—–

Isn’t that where Estelle Getty on the Golden Girls lived ?

8. Oh Jesus, did Peyton Manning just become the new Brett Favre when it comes to media attention?

What are we going to do next? Film him mowing his lawn? Brushing his teeth? Picking dead skin off his feet?

Let him sign a contract with a team, then report it. We don’t need all the extra riff-raff clogging up my free internet.

9. Leave it to Mike to be always concerned with how rich these athletes are.

Mike, when you put your body on the line like they do where many of them have all kinds of ailments by the time they are in the mid-40’s, then you should be always up on how rich they are and what they can and cannot afford..

Your job, anyone can do. I won’t say the same for these athletes.

10. HE looked as though he was on a timetable at the press conference. Mr Irsay was nugding him to go. They might have been flying out together-Irsay giving him a lift back to his continuing workouts. They departed about 12:30. Should be a very interesting week ahead. Peyton IS a free agent now, ahead of official frenzy which begins next week. By far he will be the most sought after.

11. Mr. Ross:

Take a chance and sign Peyton. Keep Matt Moore as insurance. If you can get an insentive based contract, do it. I would look at Garcon or Wallace in free agency to add some outside speed. Take the best OT in the draft at # 8. Draft either the best DL or TE in the second round.

Just a fans opinion.

12. If Peyton goes to Miami along with Reggie Wayne then the Pats won’t see the playoffs until Peyton retires.

13. jrcoop says,

he could have a home in any NFL city but he chose Miami?
    Do you know of any NFL players who “choose ” to have their homes in places like Green Bay/Buffalo vs Miami in the off season?

nyjetsknicks,

14. Jets and Skins scratch Manning off your list now he’s not going to either place. He’s not going to play for either of those coaches they won’t let him have the keys to the Offense like he’ll demand and get somewhere else.

15. In other news: Leslie Frazer hasnt mumbled a word since the season ended.
    Its rumored that he isnt sure if he has permission to speak if in fact he wanted to.

16. Reggie White was a bigger free agent acquisition than Manning will be. Manning is a soon-to-be 36 year old player coming off a serious injury who has maybe 2 or 3 years left (assuming full recovery). White OTOH was in the middle of his prime as a 31 year old player who managed to play an addition 7 seasons (6 with the Packers) and who averaged over 11 sacks/season during that span. While there are several teams highly interested in Manning, every team was salivating over acquiring White in 1993.

17. birdobeamen says:Mar 7, 2012 5:41 PM

__________________________

He will get that kind of attention, but he didn’t ask for it. While Favre waffled in and out of reitrement. Whenever he feels the need for a little love he talks about coming back “if the Bears would call,” earlier this season.

I think Favre loved that, but I honestly don’t believe Peyton is enjoying this. Atleast if he did Peyton Manning “the decision” he wouldn’t leave a city scorned.

18. Manning is going to put Stephen Ross in the spreader and make him squeel like a dirty pig. After that happens he’ll make a decision.

19. I just hope he goes to a decent team. He’s one of the best QB’s ever to play the game and will probably go down as the best regular season QB in history.

20. Why do people think he is going to the highest bidder. Sure, he will be looking for a fair deal but from all the reports that I have seen he is out to win a SB. So that means he will be looking for a team that will give him the best chance of doing that.

Not according to St. Dungy

21. Manning makes trip to Miami
    __________________

If he’s there to visit the Dolphins, they’ll be disappointed if they ask him to throw. Manning says he want to continue to play. What he really means is that he wants to continue to get paid.

22. Reggie Wayne thinks ending his career with the Miami Dolphins, winning a Super Bowl with Peyton Manning as his quarterback, would be a “story book ending.”

23. What do you have against Miami Mike? It’s been previously stated that this won’t be about the money and yet Peyton will “use” Ross to get more money? Ummmm…ok? You belittle the Dolphins for not getting Harbaugh or Fisher but I’m sure would gave insulted them had they not tried. Ridiculous.

24. trainsaw says:Mar 7, 2012 5:38 PM

Peyton should just retire and move to Del Boca Vista Phase II
    _________________

Good one. He can go late to the Early Bird Special with the Seinfelds.

25. If Peyton Manning has enough money to buy a house in every NFL city, why does he care who opens their wallets the most?

You make yourself sound foolish sometimes.

26. umbf says:
    Mar 7, 2012 5:29 PM
    If you’re going to visit the Dolphins facility, you don’t fly into Opa-Locka, you fly into Fort Lauderdale.
    ==============
    He’s not flying commercial.

He’s flying private which means there is a very good chance he would fly into Opa Locka.

And who said he would have to go to the facility?

I think Peyton Manning has the clout to say “how about you guys meet me at my place?”.

27. trainsaw says: Mar 7, 2012 5:38 PM

Peyton should just retire and move to Del Boca Vista Phase II
    ————————————————————–
    I smell a condo board election controversy! How can a Seinfeld reference got so many thumbs down…no show has been more syndicated than Seinfeld.

A Golden Girls reference too…nice!

If he isn’t already, surely he will be toying with the Dolphins shortly…

28. I am praying Peyton or Flynn end up in Miami. If Peyton is there bring Flynn/RG3 to Cleveland/Washington. If Flynn is in Miami I want Peyton in Arizona. Bring Kolb/RG3 to Cleveland. Tannehill will be in Miami with Sherman.

29. Is Manning able to pass a physical? I’ll bet his disability insurance company will say, “Okay!” Otherwise, they might have to pay off! The league is better off with him playing too. My guess is that Ross knows the house will sell out if Manning comes to town. I say, Ross offers to hire all of his old teammates, help him find a yacht and get membership at the Doral Country Club! Maybe Mr. Ross will buy him the Doral as part of his signing bonus!

I would really like to see a healthy Manning in Miami. GO DOLPHINS!

30. Though the Blohan comment was dumb, Miami is the best fit. Manning doesn’t want to play in the NFC, due to his brother, if Wayne follows him, it works well for both, he has a home there, and they have talent. I think he will end up in Miami.

31. All I know is he is in MIAMI….. He didn”t go to AZ, NY, Washington,Seattle, Denver, or SF…… Hmmmmmm maybe he likes it in MIAMI!!!!!

32. If PM comes to Miami that will be great, that means it was in the cards. If he doesn’t then it wasn’t in the cards. That’s it, nothing more, nothing less. If he doesn’t come to Miami it won’t be an embarassment as stated. It will simply be a business transaction that didn’t work out. Albert Pujols is a lifetime .328 hitter and received a $250 mil contract from the Angels. By your way of thinking he should be embarassed because he gets out almost 62% of the time. The glass is always more than half full and never anywhere near half empty.

33. Sean Payton and Mickey Loomis ought to match whatever Peyton gets paid for knocking them off the front page for the first time in a week.

34. realitypolice says:
    Mar 7, 2012 6:04 PM
    He’s not flying commercial.

And who said he would have to go to the facility?

==============

Doesn’t matter if he’s not flying commercial. Private planes can land at FLL aiport too. Opa Locka is a lot farther away from the Dolphins facility than the FLL airport and the traffic in Miami can be a nightmare. FLL would be a short drive down 595.

And sure, he could be intending to meet them in Miami. But this really just looks like he’s going home. If this was a Dolphins’ arranged flight, he’d be getting into a limo, not what looks like an airport shuttle.

35. this team makes the most sense…. give him a base between 5-7 ml, with additionally performance based salary, sign Wayne for anywhere between 3-5 mil, sign Moss for peanuts (again heavily based on performance) and draft Richardson at #8 and just like that, you have a team contending for the SB

36. Pro’s for Miami:

1. Nice group of weapons on offense led by Brandon Marshall and and Reggie Bush.
    2. One of the top defensive units in all of football.
    3. Solid O-line anchored by the best LT in the league. RT position will be fixed in draft.
    4. Offensive minded coach who has worked with an MVP QB.
    5. Offensive coordinator who used to be a head coach and also has expirience working with an MVP QB.
    6. Great weather.
    7. The Fins play the Colts AT Indianapolis in 2012
    8. Gets to face Tom Brady twice a year.
    9. Top 10 draft pick.
    10. An owner with deep pockets, who is willing to spend big in order to acquire him.

Con’s:
    1. He has to play Tom Brady twice a year?

37. He’s not going to the highest bidder, should Tampa-tons is cap space, or Buffalo offer the most, he ain’t signing.

38. If anyone out there thinks that Peyton Manning would consider it a “con” to play Tom Brady twice a year, I would respectably disagree.

39. Reggie White becoming a Free Agent will ALWAYS be the biggest deal. He was the first and this was before 24/7 media coverage, NFLN and the internet, there was constant coverage.

40. And until proven otherwise, I’ll continue to believe that Manning will, like Jim Harbaugh and Jeff Fisher before him, know that the key to getting the best offer elsewhere will be to get Dolphins owner Stephen Ross to open his wallet as wide as it will go.
    ————————————————–

Well Mike if Ross gets turned down by Manning he will just go on to the next opportunity to improve the Miami Dolphins; perhaps Matt Flynn, building around the 12th rated passer in the NFL Matt Moore or drafting a dynamic pass rusher. Billionaires are not deterred by website posts from guys not nearly as rich as they are.

41. Isn’t speculation great…..I think so. This is the biggest free-agent acquisition of the last 10 years and look at the best possible choices:

Arizona Cardinals: 8-8
    New york Jets: 8-8
    KC Chiefs: 7-9
    Seattle Seahawks: 7-9
    Miami Dolphins: 6-10

…that’s in no particular order btw, just thought I’d put it on paper. All these teams have positives to look forward to this next year, and all have been in a rebuilding mode for a while, except the Jets who at this point look somewhat hopeless. Expect Manning to sign in Miami, KC or Seattle. For my sake I hope it’s Seattle…….

42. As a fin fan I would like fins to try n sign him even if ross fails, but I think he just here to get back to train with wayne, n gona wait for jeff Saturday also n talk to them to see if the 3 of them go to same team, I hope is fins cause I’m tired I think since 01, we have got like 12 starting qb, n I’m just tired of the cleo lemons, feeley, etc

43. I seriously don’t understand all of this hype for Manning. Manning in his PRIME was a big time CHOKE ARTIST and played like garbage in 99% of the playoff games he participated in. I cannot wait for Mr. Luck to arrive in town. I have endured enough Manning choke artist performances in the playoffs i..e. against Pittsburgh in 05, losing to billy freaking volek in 07, throwing the pick 6 in the superbowl etc etc to last a lifetime. Amazing to me how all of these teams think he will all of a sudden be a clutch playoff qb, a 36 yr old with 4 neck surgeries will all of a sudden be a big time playoff qb now? When he played scared and weak in his prime? go ahead and waste your money on him, he will resemble favre throwing a game ending pick in the playoffs as his last game in the NFL

44. Really, like he’d step into a such non-compete team like Miami, in the Pats division… Guess what?

He doesn’t have time to rebuild a franchise.

45. naptownwarrior:

Your an idiot. The guy is one of the best QBs to ever play the game. His incredible talent is the only thing that kept that team winning 10-13 games every year. 2010’s Indy team was a joke, and the only difference from last year’s 10 win team was Manning.

I’ll take a hungry, motivated 36 year old in a second!

Go get em Dolphins!!

46. enx31:

Hate to break it to you buddy, but Manning on the Dolphins changes everything in the AFC East.

The Manning ownership over Brady will continue!!!

47. @miamike

You guys don’t get it down there do you. You talk as if you are just on the brink. It’s never about 1 player, even if his neck injury does make him delusional in his choice.

When’s the last time Dolphins won the SB? With a crazy team. Oh, but Marino…. nope. As great as he was…

Just go get a real 10 yr, evolving franchise QB and get real.

48. propertyofthebroncos says:
    Mar 7, 2012 6:09 PM
    alonestartexan: that was shady pines.

———-

You’re correct, upon further review, Shady Acres was the name of the mental hospital for Ray Finkle in the movie Ace Ventura.

49. “And until proven otherwise, I’ll continue to believe that Manning will, like Jim Harbaugh and Jeff Fisher before him”
    **********************************************

So what you’re saying is that Stephen Ross will get pimped out like a “Hoo-er” in fishnets, high heels and garter once again in order for Peyton to gain leverage in the “Who’s yer Daddy/Qb” contest then sign with someone else? That’s pretty ICY but i guess it’s business !!

50. any team that gets him, wont be getting the same peyton of the past, you will just be getting his name sake on your team, he will be a shell of himself, just wait and see

51. Dolphins salary cap is a hurdle to sign manning. The dolphins after all said and done will have about 12 million dollars. Chiefs are almost alike and in fact maybe better than the Dolphins. Except the weather and seriously the weather doesn’t mean anything. The chiefs have 37 million dollars in cap space. If I were Manning I would go to a team where I could win. Where with any record you can win the division. With a top 5 defense possibly. Most importantly the o line. Out of all of the possible destinations for Manning look at the stats last year. Out of the possible teams that want him the Chiefs allowed the LEAST amount of sacks. Look it up. The Chiefs are far better fit for Manning than any other team out their.

52. naptownwarrior says:
    Mar 7, 2012 7:24 PM

__
    Career postseason QB rating:

Manning – 88.6
    Brady – 86.0

The Colts defensive players were the bigger choke artists more so than Manning.

53. Steeler fan here. If I was calling the shots for the Ravens I would go after Peyton big time. Their QB is nothing special and his contract is being negotiated now. If Peyton wants 1 or more Super Bowl chances the Ravens would fill the bill.I would crap my pants if the Ravens got him but Baltimore and the 49’s are the 2 places that give him the biggest chance.

54. It’s not about money!
    PM is going to join the team that is closest to going to the SB without him, he does not have time to wait for a rebuild, he wants a 2nd SB ring like little brother Eli. With that in mind, the only team out there that is almost ready & does not have a Franchise QB is Huston. My pick is PM will choose The Huston Texans. This not about a team choosing PM, it’s about PM picking the team.

55. @bigbadal21

I believe in Flacco, but I would love to have Peyton. Not only would we win Super Bowls, but having Peyton teach Joe for a few seasons would be awesome as well. Unfortunately there is no possible way that we could afford Peyton.

56. ampats says: Mar 7, 2012 5:47 PM

jrcoop says,

he could have a home in any NFL city but he chose Miami?

Or Boston… my point exactly.