Cardinals are next stop on Peyton Manning tour

Indianapolis Colts Release Peyton Manning - News Conference Getty Images

Free agent quarterback Peyton Manning is leaving Denver without a contract.

FOX Sports’ Jay Glazer reported Saturday evening that Manning is now en route to Arizona for a visit with the Cardinals. Per Glazer, Manning will meet with Cards head coach Ken Whisenhunt tonight.

Glazer still expects the Manning tour to be a “fast process,” and he’s tentatively expected to have picked a new team by Tuesday, the official start of free agency.

Fitz and Warner participated in a flag football tournament at the Cardinals’ team facility Saturday.

Permalink 77 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Arizona Cardinals, Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
77 Responses to “Cardinals are next stop on Peyton Manning tour”
  1. mataug says: Mar 10, 2012 6:10 PM

What about Kevin Kolb ?

2. stairwayto7 says: Mar 10, 2012 6:10 PM

This is old news about Warners flag football tournament! Breaking news is that Warner will “suffer an injury” while Mannign there and Manning will be ask to play QB for a “few plays!” Dinner with Fitz, Warner, Whiz and Bidwells at Arizona Biltmore! Tweet that Glazer!

3. dolfan1 says: Mar 10, 2012 6:11 PM

Just getting a few offers to negotiate with the Dolphins!

4. edusregis says: Mar 10, 2012 6:12 PM

Maybe you can trick Manning into playing some flag football too, I doubt he’s showing them his arm strength.

5. mdoran4 says: Mar 10, 2012 6:14 PM

Any chance he swing by the Santa Clara facility for a visit?!?!?

6. jrfrom508 says: Mar 10, 2012 6:14 PM

Wouldn’t love this move but Manning to Fitzy would be so insane to watch. Instantly makes the Cardinals interesting for once.

7. dwight123 says: Mar 10, 2012 6:15 PM

..Now is he going to leave? as a Fish fan i can only hope/:

8. sportsmeccabi says: Mar 10, 2012 6:15 PM

Peyton leaves plane and goes outside.
    Heat hits him like a smack in the face and sees nothing but desert.
    Then he talks to Wisenhunt about the roster.
    Peyton walks out and gets on the plane.
    “Nothing to do here”

9. bobby4413 says: Mar 10, 2012 6:16 PM

Well Ireland and top scout Brian Gaines already met with Manning Thursday, when they both supposedly left the UM Pro Day and missed the Make a Wish Foundation fundraiser because of an Ireland “family emergency”. With Denver obviously out of the picture, it looks like #18 will be signing in Miami after his convenient final visit.

10. warhammer420 says: Mar 10, 2012 6:16 PM

Manning to Fitz! I like the sound of that

11. jerrysandusky1 says: Mar 10, 2012 6:17 PM

With the 49er’s playing big boy ball, the Rams have tons of leverage now with the 2 overall-pick-deal, and a possible Manning/Fitzgerald combo the NFC West is quietly rebuilding

12. deangelo23hall says: Mar 10, 2012 6:18 PM

Arizona actually would not be a bad fit.

Turf home, Fitz to throw to, solid defense.

13. downslide33 says: Mar 10, 2012 6:19 PM

Window dressing just like the trip to Denver. Manning will sign with Miami.

14. irodex says: Mar 10, 2012 6:20 PM

Manning leaves Arizona a Cardinal.

Upvote – Yes
    Downvote – No

15. dannyreneau says: Mar 10, 2012 6:23 PM

next stop, KC!

16. roamingabriel says: Mar 10, 2012 6:23 PM

My sources say wheels up @ 7 mst en route to PHX…

17. rip4gehrig says: Mar 10, 2012 6:28 PM

Last stop, for KC and Seattle, the dream is over.

18. lombardihero says: Mar 10, 2012 6:32 PM

I would not expect him to sign a contract yet with out going to all the places he wants to play….

Manning is not the type of person not to look over his options first.

19. jonsey2028 says: Mar 10, 2012 6:34 PM

And then the Dolphins where he will stay.

20. burgundyandgold says: Mar 10, 2012 6:34 PM

21. peytonsneck18 says: Mar 10, 2012 6:35 PM

Hey Fitz go long and see if pay-me-a-ton can reach u beyond 15 yards….oh yea nobody has seen him throw yet

22. lombardihero says: Mar 10, 2012 6:36 PM

Also they say by Tuesday he will know and that is because many teams want that as a focal point and to lure potential free agents.

I say by the end of next week he will have his mind made up. Thursday or Friday is a great day and more like it.

23. mrbigass says: Mar 10, 2012 6:36 PM

Kolb is flabbergasted……….oh, and so is Tiki.

24. hillbillyjim says: Mar 10, 2012 6:37 PM

Dinner with the Bidwells, does that mean Peyton is picking up the tab?

25. discosucs2005 says: Mar 10, 2012 6:44 PM

@burgundyandgold

That is honestly one of the dumbest posts I’ve ever read on that site.

Arizona has a lot of good things for Manning, including a warm weather climate, a dome, a solid WR core, a defense that can play well, and an established coach. I don’t know (and hopefully and Arizona fan can clarify) if the Cardinals have cap room for Manning, Wayne, and Clark, but I’m sure that is another thing Manning will be looking for.

Miami isn’t exactly a horrible option for Manning either. Another warm weather climate, not to mention a solid (but not as good as AZ’) WR core, and talent on offense that can fit that scheme. The Dolphins would need to get Nicks or another FA linemen as well, to show Manning that their sack numbers last year won’t continue. If there is a Dolphin fan in here, I would love to know if they have cap room for a linemen, Wayne, Clark, and of course Manning.

26. jrcoop says: Mar 10, 2012 6:45 PM

What a shame AZ is over the cap and apparently the best way to get under it is to waive their starting left tackle.

27. jus10jonez says: Mar 10, 2012 6:46 PM

@burgundyandgold – that has to be one of the dumbest things anyone could say about Peyton. Scared? The man had 4 neck procedures and wants to play STILL. Scared? Thats is short sighted and closed minded.

28. feetsryan says: Mar 10, 2012 6:49 PM

After Manning is shut down for the season and retires, you will all look back on this circus and feel like morons because the media has once again pushed a non-story story and you bought it. Baaaaa! Sheep.

29. milehigh85 says: Mar 10, 2012 6:50 PM

Manning leaves Denver without a contract… Um, duh! None of these meetings are about contracts. Peyton is interviewing teams right now, not the other way around.

30. bigredcards says: Mar 10, 2012 6:51 PM

@sportsmeccabi

Its a mere 60 degrees in arizona right now. So hot im sweating my balls off good thing you have no clue about arizona idiot

31. gmen4life33 says: Mar 10, 2012 6:51 PM

“I used to respect Peyton much more than Eli. But after watching Eli get beat up and keep coming back all the while while playing in New York I have more respect for him – and I am a Skins fan. Peyton is targeting cities that are even smaller than Indy for his next job. He seems scared to play in a real market with a rabid (large) fan base who demand accountability and who’s press corp will demand answers. He is afraid of the East Coast. Denver? Arizona? Miami (they could care less about pro football). Too bad his is weak willed – maybe that is why he has one ring and his brother has two.”

I am a Giants fan and think what you said is unfair. Is Eli more clutch than Peyton, yes, but he also has a better team than he did (see Indy go 2-12). As for “staying away from E. Coast” and a “real market”, what teams that are a good fit is he avoiding?

32. gmen4life33 says: Mar 10, 2012 6:52 PM

And DEN, MIA can get crazy about their football

33. mrslay1 says: Mar 10, 2012 6:54 PM

And I guess since Marino has no rings he is not respectable? Dumba$$
    Anyway, manning has more stops than this. He will not sign with anyone until he gets all the things he is after, and money is not the biggest part. Of coarse he has to be paid, but winning another Super Bowl is at the top of his list. The Cards would pay him, but not the team around him. He’s gone from there.

34. tmb333 says: Mar 10, 2012 6:56 PM

How can any team sign him without him throwing first?

35. uberniner says: Mar 10, 2012 6:58 PM

With Peyton in AZ or SEA, it will be a perfect time for the Rams to move to LA. Who wouldn’t come out to see Peyton in LA?

What in the world are they doing in St. Louis?

36. tenteamparlay00799 says: Mar 10, 2012 7:00 PM

Peyton is going to love throwing to Larry Fitzgerald.Good luck in Arizona.Take them to the Super Bowl.

37. sbhchawk says: Mar 10, 2012 7:01 PM

hey burgundyandgold

your capable of using the internet, so why don’t you google the size of the cities you think are smaller then Indy before making more incorrect statements? Denver and Miami are bigger. As well as Seattle which he may or may not stop by. Thanks for proving your worth by making comments that have no actual facts behind them.

38. krakyahead says: Mar 10, 2012 7:02 PM

It would be reckless for any team to sign Manning before he proves hes not damaged goods .

I have a similar neck injury to Peytons and its been 5 years and i still suffer from nerve pain in my limbs yes i know my situations much different i dont have Dr James Andrews on speed dial like the NFL does but nerve regeneration takes a long time and in some cases like mine doesnt ever happen.

39. gmsalpha says: Mar 10, 2012 7:03 PM

Burgundy, it’s “couldn’t care less”. Think about the meaning of “could care less” and then realize you don’t make any sense.

As for the East Coast, the Skins are sitting at #2 in the draft, the Jets have just extended Sanchize, Brady’s not going anywhere, nor is Big Ben. The Ravens aren’t giving up on Flacco. Vick isnt gonna be a backup, not will Eli. Jacksonville and Buffalo are small markets with next to no media.

So where exactly on the East Coast is he supposed to go?

Moron.

40. gmabel830 says: Mar 10, 2012 7:05 PM

“sportsmeccabi says: Mar 10, 2012 6:15 PM

Peyton leaves plane and goes outside.
    Heat hits him like a smack in the face”

Are you serious?! It’s March in Phoenix – not July! It will be 70 degrees with sunny, clear skies when he lands this evening and an even more unbearable high of 80 degrees tomorrow. I’m sure the hellish March weather in Phoenix will be a real turn off for Peyton!!

41. sportsmeccabi says: Mar 10, 2012 7:07 PM

@bigredcards

I am so sorry. I must be the biggest idiot on the planet for not knowing the temperature in Arizona. Silly me assumed the desert is hot.

I love how the only thing you point out is the temperature though. Didn’t even bother defending the part where I wrote the cardinals didn’t have the roster to attract Peyton Manning.

42. lombardihero says: Mar 10, 2012 7:09 PM

feetsryan says:
    Mar 10, 2012 6:49 PM

LOL and let me guess you have not been watching this story:) I love people who take time to chime in and make others look like fools:)

43. 8man says: Mar 10, 2012 7:12 PM

Arizona would be an instant contender with this guy. And they can probably return kicks as well. Er…SF.,..that was aimed at you. If Kyle Williams ever suits up for you again, you’ve got huge issues.

No excuses. Loser. Hell, he could have just let both of them bounce.

44. downslide33 says: Mar 10, 2012 7:13 PM

How can any team sign him without him throwing first?

Cuz he’s Peyton F. Manning!!

45. steelgrave says: Mar 10, 2012 7:16 PM

Peyton leaves plane and goes outside.
    Heat hits him like a smack in the face and sees nothing but desert.
    Then he talks to Wisenhunt about the roster.
    Peyton walks out and gets on the plane.
    “Nothing to do here”

Actually, it’s 70 right now here in Phoenix where I am two miles from the stadium. It’s been 70 all week. We have three months of hellish weather followed by nine months of the best weather you can find. I’m not from here and not a Cardinals fan, but if you think Manning won’t sign because of the weather, your mama dropped you on your head. PS, you have to drive about half an hour to find desert.

46. eagler927 says: Mar 10, 2012 7:18 PM

Currently the Cardinals are about 5 million under the cap. They have ways to open up cap room. Levi Brown counts almost 17 mill. against the cap. He’s either let go or a deal is done that saves a minimum of 10 mill. for next season.

Several players such as Fitz, Stewart Bradley, Adrian Wilson, etc can have their deals redone to open additional space. My guess is the Cardinals can realistically have 20-25 mill. to get a deal done with Peyton which is more than enough. They could also get a deal done with Reggie Wayne if it makes sense. The Cardinals are set at Tight End with Todd Heap and up and comer Rob Housler so Dallas Clark won’t be coming to the desert.

Miami and Demver can throw more money at Peyton because of their cap situation. I just don’t think it comes down to only money.
    As long as the numbers are in the same ballpark I see Peyton going where he thinks he fits in the best which I think is Arizona.

47. mrlynch33 says: Mar 10, 2012 7:19 PM

Arizona would make sense….Fitz is nasty and that defense is coming around. The problem though is the offensive line, no way Manning wants to play behind those guys. He would be better off checking out Seattle maybe he can revitalize Sidney Rice.
    I can’t see either happening though because no matter how you cut it, he would still have to face the Niners D twice a year…not good for self-preservation.

48. dolfan1 says: Mar 10, 2012 7:23 PM

For the second time ever I agree with mrslay1………lol

49. stevenfbrackett says: Mar 10, 2012 7:24 PM

What is the point of these meetings if he isn’t taking physicals and working out for the team except a PR tour and to ask them, “So, whaddaya give me?”

Well, Peyton, I give you an appointment time with our doctors and a workout schedule. Be prepared to do drills and throw a variety of passes. Take it or leave it.

50. oreo51 says: Mar 10, 2012 7:24 PM

He will be able to fry an egg on the sidewalk down there in August. I hope he doesn’t mind being indoors all day.

51. nflfollower says: Mar 10, 2012 7:24 PM

I agree that Eli is a tougher qb than Peyton, mentally and physically. Peyton is statistically better no doubt….but I have seen Eli get physically abused repeatedly without letting it rattle him, and continuing to step up in the pocket and make tough throws under fire. When Peyton gets hit like that, it rattled him. And Eli had to win me over, because what he did to san Diego was BS. But he is a tough qb.

52. downslide33 says: Mar 10, 2012 7:27 PM

He;s going to Miami. Solid offensive line, Reggie Bush,Brandon Marshall,Reggie Wayne….Peyton has a home there….its in the AFC where he wants to stay….

Done deal.

53. sdboltaction says: Mar 10, 2012 7:27 PM

I moved to AZ from Orange County, CA September ’09 and I don’t think it’s THAT hot out here… Hell, I was in Iraq and Kuwait and that didn’t even bother me. I seriously doubt Manning would have an issue out in the heat in AZ. People over exagerate the heat, and those that b*tch about it are just pansys.

54. 7to10for6allday says: Mar 10, 2012 7:28 PM

Let’s not forget that Indy never had a D and the giants D has been better than Indy D in the last 13 years…..simpletons say Eli is better. It’s a team sport fools. Eli has 2 rings and he wasn’t the major reason for them either. Peyton carried his team with the 31st ranked D that year for his ring…..Peyton > Eli, period!

55. seatownballers says: Mar 10, 2012 7:28 PM

Sorry cards fans, it ain’t gonna happen. Its a nice facility, and wouldn’t be a media frenzy, but there are too many cons. Weak oline, fitzgerald is their only talent, half the roster is facing one year tenders, pat peterson is an awesome kick returner but below average corner, the team can’t offer as much money as other teams, phoenix is a desert.
    Sorry for the run on sentence, az just isn’t that appealing

56. discosucs2005 says: Mar 10, 2012 7:33 PM

@eagler927

Thanks for the cap info.

I think Arizona or Miami are the best fits, and I agree with you that money will not be the main factor for Manning.

As a 49er fan I want him to go to Miami over AZ for obvious reasons, but I am unbiasedly attracted to the idea of Manning squaring off with Brady twice a year as a member of the Dolphins.

This is one of the least horribly boring offseasons in recent memory.

57. dgbk says: Mar 10, 2012 7:34 PM

@ at bur and gold he is afraid of big market teams, wat big city he can play in that want and or need him?? most big market teams have established qbs already

58. hillbillyjim says: Mar 10, 2012 7:39 PM

That Niner D sure ended the other Manning’s career.

59. thcnote says: Mar 10, 2012 7:46 PM

burgundyandgold says:
    Mar 10, 2012 6:34 PM

Denver doesn’t care about football. You mu good man are a moron.

60. bucwild05 says: Mar 10, 2012 7:47 PM

Who actually reads the Manning Articles any more? I read the first 8,624 of them, however, when I felt that I wasn’t learning anything new, I will just wait for the headline that says “Manning signs offer with the ______” Until then, Please report something different.

This is worse than the Favre thing in the past.

61. plum13sec says: Mar 10, 2012 7:48 PM

Peyton Manning is going to choose the cardinals. trust me

62. bigredcards says: Mar 10, 2012 7:52 PM

seatownballer- if the cardinals talent is so horrible why did the cardinals beat the seahawks in the last game of the year?

63. lostsok says: Mar 10, 2012 7:55 PM

Arizona is too full of crazy for a class act like Peyton.

64. ghjjf says: Mar 10, 2012 8:21 PM

If the Cardinals need cap space they can always cut Kolb and stick with Skelton as the backup.

65. justautumnwindbaby says: Mar 10, 2012 8:41 PM

C’mon, lets’ be real and put this in the proper perspective-
    1. Afc team
    2. Indoors
    3. Good defense
    4. Elite deep threat
    5. Solid run game
    6. Serious contender
    7. Cap space
    the only team that fits the above criteria is the houston Texans
    Daveraider has spoken-so let be writer, do let it be done…..

66. westcoastredbird says: Mar 10, 2012 8:55 PM

Please do not let Levi (Teflon Hands) Brown or Brandon (Pegleg) Keith get within 500 Miles of Peyton. They should be arrested for even being in Arizona.

67. xx4zu1 says: Mar 10, 2012 9:12 PM

Where Manning lands will depend on his true motive is he looking to succeed or get paid? In or to succeed he has to start with winning the division. Where is the best place for him to lead a team to a division title? Lets see Miami? He has to face the Jets and the Patriots twice a year and we all know that New England has had his number for quite some time. Manning vs Brady 5-8. Arizona? The possibility of Manning Fitz and Wayne on the same team could cause nightmares for the 49ers and the rest of the division however the 49ers are legitimate competition. Denver seems to be the most logical fit if Manning is interested in winning a division title and getting home home field in the playoffs. The teams in that division couldn’t put away the Broncos with Tebow leading them what would happen with that D and Manning as the QB. My bet would be that if Manning wants another shot at a tittle he goes to Denver if he wants to get paid he goes to Miami.

68. 8man says: Mar 10, 2012 9:17 PM

I have no idea where he will sign. But I want to see him playing for the Cardinals. It’s a great facility. It’s warm all year round and the coaching staff is pretty good. The only question is whether or not Bidwell will be all in to make this team the contender it can be,

Oh, and make those helmets scarlett or black with an angry Cardinal. That will be bitchin’!

69. mjkelly77 says: Mar 10, 2012 9:17 PM

It’s obvious Manning is trying to start a bidding war. Wait until he has to throw. He might be able to sign somewhere for a rusty toaster and a Best Buy debit card.

70. oreo51 says: Mar 10, 2012 9:21 PM

Wait until he figures out they have no indoor practice facility and he gets to work out all week in 100 degree heat that would make a lizard run for cover. By Sunday his strength will be drained and he will have a noodle arm.

71. jonsey2028 says: Mar 10, 2012 9:26 PM

Manning will talk to the Cardinals entire team, Larry Fitzgerald and then leave while saying thanks but no thanks.

72. 69finfan says: Mar 10, 2012 9:32 PM

Miami is about $15,000,000.00 under the cap.

73. kmurph1226 says: Mar 10, 2012 10:57 PM

<q cite="It’s worth noting that Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald and former quarterback Kurt Warner are both in the area, just in case Whisenhunt wants to include them in his meet and greet with Manning."

Yeah, because Warner will be the deal breaker for Manning.

74. mjkelly77 says: Mar 11, 2012 12:51 AM

69finfan says:Mar 10, 2012 9:32 PM

Miami is about $15,000,000.00 under the cap.
    ______________________

Not after Manning rips them off like he did the Colts last year. Dude is done. Can’t throw.
    He’s just whoring himself around for one last big payday.

75. polo550 says: Mar 11, 2012 12:59 AM

@sportsmeccabi

Obviously you’ve never been to Phoenix. There’s no desert dude and unless you live in NY, LA, or some other mega city you will be hard pressed not to find something to do there. Yeah it’s hot in the summer but while the rest of the country is freezing their asses off during the winter we’re chillin in 75 degree weather.

76. lakermetskins says: Mar 11, 2012 1:54 AM

There is no wr (including Calvin Johnson) I would rather throw to than Fitzgerald. Instantly makes them the leaders in NFC west (49er’s were a fluke). Must improve o-line(draft rounds 1-3, Reiff, DeCastro, Martin, Adams).

77. beeehamp says: Mar 11, 2012 4:29 AM

I hate how people say stuff like “I don’t think he’ll want to face that Niners defense twice a year”

The Cardinals actually beat the Niners once last season remember? And that was with John Skelton..

Plus, I’m sure Peyton has faced tougher defenses in his career.