Cosell expects RG3 to be “excellent fit” for Redskins offense

AP

NFL Films analyst Greg Cosell is a frequent guest on PFT Live. He might watch more game tape than any human on the planet. Cosell is a trusted voice on player personnel evaluation, and he’s signed off on the Redskins’ trade up for Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III.

Cosell wrote on Twitter Saturday that Griffin will be an “excellent fit” in Redskins coach Mike Shanahan’s offense, which historically features an athletic quarterback capable of making throws on the run. Cosell explained that Shanahan’s “play-action and boot-action pass game” sets up “downfield shot plays.”

Griffin’s primary strengths are his athleticism and vertical passing accuracy. He can run and has a big arm, and those traits will go to use in Washington’s system.

By any measure, the Redskins surrendered more draft-pick compensation than the No. 2 overall selection is theoretically worth. But the foundation of the trade was not just quarterback acquisition. The Redskins acquired a quarterback that quintessentially fits what they want to do.

125 responses to “Cosell expects RG3 to be “excellent fit” for Redskins offense

1. It will be difficult to live up to the hype expending 3 (almost 4) first round draft picks for – one player. He better be good otherwise the redskins just f’ed themselves in the @ss.

2. sammythebull44 says:Mar 8, 2012 8:00 PM

come to the Los Angeles Raiders!

—————————————————

I didnt say I wanted hin to flop, I just said that he would.

3. I just picture Vick in Washington and I don’t think that’s work out. There’s a difference between athleticism like Elway, and freakish athleticism like rg 3.

4. Redskins thought Rex Grossman and John Beck were starters also. Rams will be selecting in the top 10 for the next two seasons with Washingtons picks just for sliding back 4 slots. Unreal in light of a new rookie wage scale.

5. Time will tell. Don’t envy him arriving to meet current 2 QB’s who have already been battling for the starting role. More bruised egos. Nature of the business. Do whatever it takes to win or at least attempt to.

RG3 says he’s up for the challenge to compete. He’s the only one who can prove his worth.

Some make it. Others don’t. Intense pressure either motivates you to succeed or swallows you up to fail.

6. Love the potential, hate the price. Next important questions: What were the Browns offering to trade for the #2? Did the Redskins REALLY have to give up that much? Years from now I really do believe this trade will be looked back on as the beginning of a winning era for the Redskins. HTTR!

7. From article:

From 2008:
    Campbell’s primary strengths are his athleticism and vertical passing accuracy. He can run and has a big arm, and those traits will go to use in Washington’s system.

8. some haters yes, but haters aside, this seems like and incredibly risky and maybe even could be considered a reckless move. Could the “reaching” Mark Sclereth spoke about when Shannahan was hired be playing out here? Could giving up 3.5 first round draft picks be: Mike Shannhan swinging hard and missing for his third strike at the QB position. McNabb->Grossman->Beck-RG3? He better be right otherwise the emporer has no clothes.

9. It will be difficult to live up to the hype expending 3 (almost 4) first round draft picks for – one player.
    ————————

You can’t be that stupid,can you? Almost 4? How about 2..count much?

10. doesn’t one need good WRs for downfield shot plays ?
    With around $40million in cap space(carrying over $13 million from last season), I hope to see Vincent Jackson being signed to help the WR core and Carl Nicks to help the offensive line.

11. He’s good…but not worth what they gave up to get him. Once again the Skins overreached. This rivals what Jimmy Johnson did to the Vikings way back when.

12. My main concern for this guy is that he’s going to the Redskins, who are totally dysfunctional. Hard to a succeed on a team that can’t find it’s own posterior with both hands behind its back.

13. Explain how they gave up three picks? They gave up 2013 and 2014. They have a 2012 first round pick – the second pick in the draft. They did not give up this years pick, they swapped it. That is different. They gave up two future first rounders and a second. A lot for sure but not three first round picks.

14. No haters please……as an eagles fan I too think it was a move they had to make…..Grossnan and beck were jokes….however skins still need to surround this guy with some better weapons than old moss and gaffney.

15. Maybe it was the right thing to do but I’d have a hard time pulling the trigger on a deal for a guy who’s never seen an NFL defense in his life, the college defenses he faced weren’t exactly top of the heap at that level either.

Basically put the careers of the 53 guys on the team, the coaching staff and the front office on the shoulders of a kid who doesn’t know what he doesn’t know. It’s not RGIII’s fault but he’s gonna pay the price.

16. It’s just a lot of pressure all of the sudden for RGIII and it really hurts him.

I mean think about it. What if he can’t start right away? What if Santana Moss really is as good as it gets at the WR position?

17. Wait….you mean to tell me Cosell said something without bashing Alex Smith?

18. “The Redskins acquired a quarterback that quintessentially fits what they want to do.” … that good to win afew games and even make the playoffs but that’s not good enough to win the Super Bowl.

19. I wonder if they thought about how good of a fit Luck will be when the Colts shock everyone and take RGIII instead of Luck. I will find it hysterical if they traded many years of top picks away in anticipation of drafting RGIII but didn’t properly do their homework.

20. Bigfish it’s only 2 first round picks. 1 next year and 1 the year after. That’s it. Skins swapped first round picks this year. So in total 3 picks for the heisman trophy winner. It’s a good move.

21. As a Browns fan I wish him the best. He is a class act and I’m sorry he won’t be in C-town. But at the same time, I couldn’t see giving up three 1st and a 2nd to get him. That would have handicapped the team for years as I’m sure it will the Redskins. Would it not be funny if the Rams now traded up with the Browns to get Blackmon.

22. Do we remember that bust with the fake smile carolina drafted last year? Moral of the story,let the kid play before you pass judgement. He’s also an upgrade over RG3 (Rex Grossman 3INT’s)

23. funny how everyone wants him to flop because their teams didn’t get him.

Footballfanman- That was the BEST post I’ve seen on here in a long time! I’m a Browns fan and I’m not happy right now, but I’m not going to cry about it and hope he’s a bust like all these other people

24. WOW. Still can’t believe the Redskins gave up 3 first rounders (2012, 2013, 2014) and 1 2nd rounder (2012), all for the 2nd pick (6 spots up) in this draft. What if Colts somehow take RGIII foiling Shanahan’s plans? It is pick #2 right

25. It will be genius to see the Isray now F with Synder about taking Rg3, and possibly squeeze a draft pick outta him with a trade..but wait Isray isn’t that smart!

26. better wins & losses or better stats? I doubt he’ll be Cam Newton part two. DC’s a pressure cooker as it is for the QB position. When you trade 4 potential franchise players for 1 potential franchise QB the heat gets turned up from “boiling” to “nuclear”.

27. I’ve been against this from the start, but as a Redskin fan, now I’m jumping on board!! Now lets get a white rb!

28. I don’t like that the Skins are going to pick up Griffin III. As a Cowboy fan, I am nervous that this guy will be very, very good in a short timeframe and for a long time. I was hoping that Jones was going to do something crazy and pick him up.

29. For a franchise that hasn’t had a franchise quarterback in forever, there’s never too much you can give up. At least this guy gives them a chance.

30. nickerus says:Mar 10, 2012 5:36 PM

I’d be willing to bet RG III will have a better year than Newton or Dalton

——————————————————

Save your money, Newton had one of if not the greatest rookie seasons ever. Griffin the turd, I mean third wont even come close to Newtons rookie year.

31. rg3 will be the biggest bust in nfl history. this clown is all talk. he already has an overinflated ego, he will be a poor mans vince young. he is talking about getting revenge on the colts HAHAHAHA PLEASE, sounds just like what vince young said he would do after his hometown houston texans passed on him and he landed in tennessee in the same division, wasn’t the great vince young suppose to reak havoc against houston for a decade? HAHAHAHAHA

32. rip4gehrig says: Mar 10, 2012 5:20 PM

He will be the biggest flop of the 2012 draft

In the words of another famous Griffin, you know what really grinds my gears? People running their mouth for no reason. Statements with no supporting facts are just a waste of everybody’s time. How do you feel that “He will be the biggest flop of the 2012 draft” is an adequate response to:
    “Griffin will be an ‘excellent fit’ in Redskins coach Mike Shanahan’s offense, which historically features an athletic quarterback capable of making throws on the run. Cosell explained that Shanahan’s ‘play-action and boot-action pass game’ sets up ‘downfield shot plays.'”.

Dude, I don’t disagree with your right to make this statement, I’m just asking you to give your reason why. It doesn’t matter how stupid or smart that reason is. Saying “He will be the biggest flop of the 2012 draft [BECAUSE he has silly looking hair],” is an infinitely better statement than “He will be the biggest flop of the 2012 draft”

If you were to combine your statement with the next post and say “He will be the biggest flop of the 2012 draft because his game tape shows him throwing against lousy Big 12 defenses,” now you have an actual point, I don’t agree with you, but now you’re actually saying something. and contributing to the discussion. Seriously folks, if you have nothing to say, you probably should say nothing.

33. Can anyone succeed in the hell that is the Redskins under Daniel Snyder’s ownership? I feel bad for RG3.

34. Hey rip4gehrig says:
    Mar 10, 2012 5:20 PM
    ————————————
    Are you the same fool that said that Cam Newton would be a flop last year on PFT…???

35. rip4gehrig says: Mar 10, 2012 5:20 PM

He will be the biggest flop of the 2012 draft

_______________________________________
    sounds like you are jealous cause your team did’nt attempt to get him!maybe after your diaper is changed and you get your nap in,you’ll see things in a clearer sense!

36. If by ‘Mike Shanahan’s offense,’ he means John Elway, then yeah. I don’t recall Mike Shanahan’s offense working so well with anyone else.

37. As a Giants fan, I think WAS made the right move. Did they give up a lot, yes (last 3 1st for NYG were JPP, Nicks, and Prince, all of which are critical to team) but it makes WAS scary.

What impresses me the most about RG III is that he didnt throw a lot of INTs in college, even though every team was focused on stopping him. He carried Baylor, like Eli carried Ole Miss. Manning, Vick, RG3 and Romo. East is going to be a fight every year. Love it

38. The Skins can also use that toss play to Helu, and fake it, like they did ast year. That kid hits the line of scrimmage like a lightening bolt. They work everything off that play. Hail!

39. I’m thrilled for RG3, DC is going to love him and he’s going to kick some serious east coast ass!!!

40. “…capable of making throws on the run…”

He better be, because most likely he’s going to get chased all over the field all the time.

41. OK, for the last time. It’s only two 1st round draft picks not three. While the Redskins did give the Rams this year’s 6th overall pick, the Rams gave the Redskins the 2nd overall pick. It’s a swap, the Rams didn’t gain an extra 1st round pick this year. They did gain a 2nd round pick in this years draft. Now, in 2013 and in 2014 they do get extra picks in the first round. The Redskins put themselves in position to gain a franchise QB whether it’s Luck or RG3. They have a shot at both.

42. That’s great that they put themselves in a position to get the QB they want, but what are they gonna do when they can’t draft anybody to actually put around him?

43. For the last time the Redskins gave up 3 picks ( 2 1st round picks and a 2nd). They didn’t give up 3 1st picks. If it was 3 1st round picks they would have given up their 2015 pick too. They SWAPPED their 1st round pick with the Rams, they didn’t give it to the Rams.

44. Cosell is a trusted voice on player personnel evaluation, and he’s signed off on the Redskins’ trade up for Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III
    ——————————————————-
    Really? Trusted by who? No one has given him a job.

It’s a good thing he’s signed off, I guess the trade up can continue now.

45. WOW. Still can’t believe the Redskins gave up 3 first rounders (2012, 2013, 2014)
    ———————————————–

WOW..How can they give up their 1 and only first round pick in 2012 and still draft RG3? They didn’t give up any 1st round pick in 2012.They moved up,why people keep saying they gave up a first in this years draft,is beyond me.

46. blackqbwhiterb says: Mar 10, 2012 5:46 PM

Royster’s white and Helu’s Asian, so I think that qualifies us for the most diverse backfield in NFL history.

47. 2nd worst trade in history I thought you guys would learn the first time all you RG3 fans but nope. Michael Vick ring a bell a small body who runs the ball cause he can’t throw he runs a option type playbook he will set the Redskins back for years to come

48. Jwreck – –

You are absolutely right, the Big12 Defenses are horrible, so is the cowboys D but thats another story.

Look, Griffin runs his mouth as fast as he runs the 40 and he is jealous as hell that Luck is going #1. It will be way to much pressure on him in DC, especially with what they gave up to get him.

Deadmanwalking- –

Well, your just an idiot….

49. profootballwalk says:Mar 10, 2012 5:57 PM

———————————————————

Steve Young did pretty good with Shanahan calling the offensive plays with SF. Won a SB with Young throwing like 6 TD passes. And Young credits Shanahan with getting Young in the HOF. But what does Young know? lol

RG3 is in the Young mold. As a Skins fan I am really excited to see how things shake out. Having said that, us Skins fans have been burned a lot over the last 15+ years. Its best for me to measure my excitment considering the Skins luck in the past with high profile players.

50. Rams are gonna get real good over the next few years. Skins are all in with this guy who, before last college season no one even talked about this guy. Big gamble. Like the kid but now I can’t wait to see d ware introduce him to the nfl”

51. When RG3 heard he’d have Shanahan’s bugeyes glaring at him for the next few years he peed his pants a little…….and then when he remembered little Shanny would be his new BFF if he crapped his pants……….a bunch.

52. for 2 1/2 months straight RG3 was saying with a straight face that he was going to compete with Luck to go to indy…

if your guy is that delusional for that long…. next thing is guaranteeing the SB before game 1 and never showing up for practice on time

good luck Redskins…. you will rue the day…..

53. Great move in my opinion….3 First round picks for someone like RG III and with the new CBA rookie contracts? I’ll take this and the Skins signing 3-4 high profile guys. We can take a guard, WR, CB and SS and make a big difference from last year.

54. Everyone is saying the Redskins gave up 3 #1 pick’s for the Rams #2 overall pick in this years draft. Really it’s only 2 #1 picks, not 3. The “third” is the swapping of the #2 and the #6 picks. Rams get 2 #1’s and a 2nd round pick. So, it’s 3 picks total they get not 4. I didn’t know that much about RG3 before but as a Skins fan I started watching film and reading about him. He’s intelligent, athletic (runs a 4.4 40), good arm, god fearing and humble and on paper fits the Shanahan’s system. He’s like Vick without all the problems. And… the Redskins (as a bonus) will be on the national map again via RG3 hype. Man, I hope this kid is good or the Redskins will be bad for many years to come. We’ll see…

55. It had occured to me that the Redskins were hoping that Payton Manning would elect to sign with the Texans, and then, as odd man out, Matt Schaub would be a relatively easy pickup for them. Reuniting with an offensive coordinater with which he has had much success.
    Obviously, the Shanahan’s and Allen weren’t ‘betting on the come’ and made this move. Interesting. Daring.
    Tannehill is too raw to spend a 6 on, at first blush. Inexperience and a bit of lack of experience (foot injury, as well), a this point.
    He could turn out to be Johnny Unitus the 2nd, but…
    All that said, the die is cast.
    One thing is true, the Redskins are now a destination for potential free agents on both sides of the ball that would like to play with this young man. There is a great deal of money, thanks to the machinations of Bruce Allen, to spend on select free agents. They have money to spend against the cap to shape the team. This was not done in anticipation of coaching/ managerial staff being fired mid-season, or beyond.
    DC is a military town, obviousy, and Robert Griffin III will be loved immediately, with his parents background. By all accounts, he is a high-motor achiever. The young man studied Poly-Sci at Baylor! He has the physical tools. Let’s see how he stands up to the rush in the NFC East. Time will tell. Give it that time.
    I have a sneaking suspicion that this guy is the real deal, and, even as a rookie, will pay immediate dividends. Especially with what upgrades in the draft and free agency the team will make to help him.

56. “Cosell is a trusted voice on player personnel evaluation, and he’s signed off on the Redskins’ trade up for Baylor quarterback Robert Griffin III.”

Well…. I guess that Redskins management can stop sweating and breath a huge collective sigh of relief. Cosell has signed off and they can move forward with their business now that they have his approval. It’s hard to imagine what they ever would have done if they didn’t get him to sign off.

What a ridiculous statement.

57. christinamer says: Mar 10, 2012 5:40 PM

This makes me laugh. Really? Oh boy the skins have to draft luck. what a shame. Are you serious? Do you think before you type?

Also people for the love of God it 2 1st rounders and a sec. They exchange 1st rounders this year. Its not 3 first.

Same exact trade Chicago gave up for Cutler without the exchange.

58. It’s funny how before this trade, everyone was predicting RGIII to be a stellar NFL QB. Now that the Redskins have him, all of a sudden he’s going to “bust” and he “sucks.”

Bottom line is Redskins needed a franchise QB and it was honestly more valuable than the future Number 1s. All this talk is just haters hating.

We have yet to see how his NFL career will pan out but the Redskins made a bold move to reverse their fortunes and I respect them for that.

59. The skins should have just flopped this year and got Barkley from USC. They could have used the picks they gave up to get more pieces. Instead they wagered the future on a kid that had one good season in a terrible Big 12. I see the next Smith ( the kid from Oregon that cincy drafted.

People kill me trying to compare him to Cam Newton. Newton put up unbelievable numbers in the SEC while RG3 did it in a terrible big 12. I don’t think there is a defensive player from the big 12 projected as a first round pick.

60. I love RGIII but that price is stupifying. I truly hope he does well but I think it was way too steep.
    FYI, it IS THREE 1st and one 2nd. Swapping two 1st round picks this year doesn’t change that. Redskins get RGIII by using this years 1st, PLUS the next two. Thats 3.

61. While it is true they only gave up the 2013 & 2014 1st Rounders + a 2nd Rounder, all they gained was 3 slots (RG3) but when the Redskins finish with the 5-10 overall pick in the draft the next two years, it really is basically 2 HIGH and 1 LOW first round picks for a guy that has potential but no NFL experience.

62. profootballwalk says:
    Mar 10, 2012 5:57 PM

5 4

Well you better recall Steve Young throwing 6 TDs to win a Superbowl sucka.

63. I think he will be great for them. The only gave up two count them two first-round draft picks and the second round draft pick. The skins have stunk for several years so why not go for homerun and go All in by drafting RG3. It cannot be any worse than what it has been. Also the skins have a lot of money under the salary-cap to be able to pay players around him Love the move

64. I’m an Eagles fan and I’m happy as hell that he’s going to the Skins. We get to see them twice a year, should make for some exciting games. Football, and rivalries are always. better when both teams are competitive. Did they pay a high price, sure, but they they haven’t had a franchise QB since Hershey Bars were $.05 apiece! MV7 vs. RG3….Prime Time baby!!

65. cluelessdufus says: Mar 10, 2012 6:25 PM

=====================================
    Boy your post lives up to your screen name.

66. edusregis says:
    Mar 10, 2012 5:28 PM
    They gave away too much for him.

Seriously….please 2 1st round picks and a second? This is that’s all….they didn’t give up this years 1st just swapped places that leaves 2013 and 2014 1st and this years 2nd=3 picks….folks need to quit hating

67. I’d like to address the skeptics…

First, the size issue–Dude is 6’2 (and change) and 228 lbs. Tell me how thats undersized? Tell me how thats comparable to Mike Vick who stands at 6′ 210lbs (dripping wet). Sure RG3 looks a bit twiggy, but like more men in their early 20’s he will ad on a good 10-20 lbs. before he’s 25. His size is NOT a concern.

Now his playing style–The man can run. a 4.38 is hellacious for a QB but look at the game film, he is a throw first QB. He’s not going to take off after his first read like Vick does. In college last year he threw for 4,000 yards, 36 TD’s, and only 6 INT’s so he knows how to protect the ball, his system at Baylor was a complex spread system which fits what KYLE Shanahan (remember folks, Mike isnt running the offense) is implementing in DC.

And finally, the culture in Washington–I find it completely absurd that the skeptics keep citing the culture in Washington as “dysfunctional” or “a trainwreck”. Since Shanahan and Allen arrived they have gotten rid of Haynesworth(less), McNabb, Portis, and trimmed the fat so to speak on the roster. Shanahan inherited a weak roster, overpaid and over the hill players, and turned about 6 picks last year into 13. These guys know what they’re doing, they have a plan and so far it’s working. Shanahan has brought an attitude of hard work, he’s given the players confidence cuz he’s been to the promised land, and they are rebulding this team from the ground up. Drafting a LT in Trent Williams, introducing a young and vibrant backfield, and now going after RG3…I’d say thats a pretty damn good start.

So at the end of the day the Redskins are making all the right moves. RG3 not only fits the system perfectly but he’s a 22 year old phenom who protects the ball, has deadly deep accuracy, and runs a 4.38….seeing as how Washington hasn’t had a franchise QB since Theismann or Jurgenson giving up TWO first rounders (get it right folks) and a 2nd is really not all that bad.

68. “With the second pick in the 2013 NFL draft the Washington Redskins select Matt Barkley, Quarterback, USC…..Cleveland Browns are now on the clock…………LOL

69. Also…with o-linemen like Hutchinson, Nicks, and Gaither AND wr’s like Colston, V-Jax, and Garcon available the Skins have a great chance of improving their roster before they even pick RG3. This year, they very well may finish with a winning record.

70. I usually just read through these and laugh, but sometimes I just have to comment cause I see some stuff on here that makes me upset with your dads for not spending enough time with you & teaching you the ins & outs of football

Please explain how the skins are stupid for giving up two future first founders? All day I see, “How many first round picks ever work out?” “RGIII is not going to have any young talent around him since the deadskins gave away all their 1st rounders”. Umm hello..McFly… Last time I checked..there are 6 more rounds after the first is over right? And since Allen & Shanny..not Dan Snyder as some of you morons say..are running the draft, its pretty safe to say the team is going to utilize & multiply the number of picks during those rounds..as they did this year turning 6 picks into 12. Producing key contributors such as Helu, Royster, Hankerson, Gomes & Neild. Don’t forget Jarvis Jenkins will be back too.

The most common dim witted comment I see some of you write is “Looks like the foreskins are gonna get back to stock piling past their prime freeagents since they traded the farm away again” They did get past their prime players..on defense! The team has always invested their money into high price defensive players during the Snyder Era, but as much as the team sucked during that time..it was the lack of investing into the high price offensive guys that killed us! Say what you want about signing Deon, Bruce Smith, Mark Carrier, Andre Carter & Fat Albert..the teams D has been ranked in the top 10 80% of the time since the Snyder Era began.

To make a long story not as long..ur football knowledge sucks..if your gonna try to burn on my squad..make sense when you do it!

71. Let’s not get ahead of ourselves.

First he has to beat out Rex Grossman and that other guy….you know the one I mean….the one who used to play for Miami but isn’t Chad Henne but is completely interchangeable with Chad Henne….

And who knows, with Shanahan involved he might ALSO have to beat out Chad Henne.

Geez, with so many awful former starting QBs available in the NFL right now….how is it that Jon Gruden is still in the announcers booth?

I bet he could really make something of Byron Leftwich.

72. It amazes me to see all the idiots who think the Skins will be screwed if the Colts take RGIII. Do you really think the Skins will be kicking themselves if they’re “forced” to take Luck. Get real!! RGIII or Luck…we’ll take either and be happy as a pig in slop.

73. Kismet. Please RG3, tell Shanahan that you refuse to play for his team. Elway did it to the Colts many moons ago for Shanahan’s Donkeys, payback would be awesome…

74. nfceastisbeast says:
    Mar 10, 2012 7:31 PM

No not a high price 3 picks 2 1st and a 2nd and how many franchise QB’s have the Eagles had? We won 3 Superbowls without one, and the Eagles have what? How many?

75. Rg3 Youre no Cam Newton! You do however owe him most of your money since the Redskins are drafting your over rated arse hoping you are half the player and leader that Cam is. Cam Newton is going to show how much better he is when the Panthers crush you next year on the way to the playoffs! Skins will suck again!

76. bigbuc419 says:
    Mar 10, 2012 5:45 PM
    ________________________________________________________

So let me understand…. you think Irsay would be smart to threaten Snyder with taking the 2nd best QB instead of the best QB????……and thus leaving the best QB for Snyder to take????

I think I know who’s not too smart.

77. Why is it so hard for individuals on here to understand the aspects of this trade.

Redskins trade three first round picks (2012, 2013, 2014) and one 2nd round pick (2012) to the Rams for one first round pick (2012).

SO in conclusion, the Redskins traded three first round picks and one second round pick to move up four spots.

They didn’t trade two 1st rounders like so many people keep saying on here. They traded three, and are getting one in return.

78. RG3 is unlike any QB we have seen before play the game….Hes not a one trick pony….He completed over 70% of his passes this past year…He runs a legit 4.4 and only uses his legs when he needs to unlike Vick who early in his career only could use his legs…You always hear commentators talk about being smart between the ears.. Im pretty sure he graduated early from school with over a 3.5 gpa and his comes from a military family with a good upbringing…these things can not be overlooked and only time will tell if the skins overpaid for RG3 but they had to do it and as one of the biggest skins fans i havent been this excited about skins football since my fav. player ever #21 passed away…..Shannahan will use him to perfection and if we can snag v-jax with either a robert meachem or pierre garcon its gonna be a deadly combination for the NFC east…Yes they went 6-10 but they were only 3 games out of winning it and beat the division winner and superbowl champions twice….With the biggest scrubs at qb….Im not saying they are playing for the superbowl this year but as a skins fan things are looking up for the first time in a long time.

79. The Skins gave up a lot but they’ve been lacking (understatement) at the position for over a decade. RG3 could be the answer for the next decade. They had to make a play for him. This trade may end up being a win win for both them and the Rams. We’ll see in a couple of years.

80. love49ers
    True. Problem is, most of the morons are commenting they traded away three picks, while insinuating they are losing their 2012 1st round pick. Untrue. The ‘skins ARE giving up their 1st round picks in 2013 and 2014 and their 2nd in the draft this year. They traded for the 2nd pick this year, but they didn’t give it away.

81. Vick without the dog fighting.

Talented kid. Doesn’t stand a chance playing for the hapless ‘Skins. They’ll screw his shot at being good.

82. For all of you that keep saying “they said Grossman and Beck were the answer” what did you expect them to say??? They were the only options and Shanahan isn’t going to come out and say “yeah, they suck, what can you do”? As for all of you Miss Cleo’s out here with your predictions on RG3….give it up! Do called experts said Newton was gonna be a bust, and Ryan Leaf was the next Unitas. Nobody know anything until it happens so all of you arm chairs need to crawl back in your holes!

83. How can NOBODY make a Howard Cosell joke in the comments???

You all don’t remember Howard Cosell?

84. For the people saying RGIII is gonna be a flop must not watch football. There probably the same ones that said Cam was gonna flop. This dude can pass and throw and when he roll out on the play action pass in that offense he’s gonna be deadly.

85. For all of you mathematical retards who cannot figure out that the Skins traded 3 first round picks & a 2nd round pick for RG3: Wake the hell up!!

Are you so seriously that dysfunctional or what?
    Just because they “swapped” first round picks this year doesn’t mean that they didn’t trade their 2012 pick.
    It would take a huge amount of “crack” to come up with that determination.

They traded 3 (count them grade school dropouts) 1st round picks along with a 2nd to get ONE draft pick. For you advanced retards it goes like this:

3+1 = 4 (only in Washington)

Personally, I don’t care if they traded their entire draft for the next 25 years for the guy.

The bottom line is…. black QB’s won’t, don’t, and can’t win Super Bowl’s. Only 1 EVER has.
    That’s the easiest bet in PRO sports.

86. Wow!! 2012, a black president and commander in chief- but we still say a black qb cannot win a Super Bowl. Shocking, but that’s America. Would his chances of winning a SB be better if he only changed his skin color?

Most Defensive tackles are faster than Tom Brady. Defensive Ends (D. Ware, Mario Williams) have freakish quickness and speed chasing the QB, not to mention pass rushing LB’s running sub 4.6 40s. Aaron Rodgers is the quintessential, new age qb who can get it done in and out of the pocket. Peyton Manning and Tom Brady are dinosaurs who are becoming extinct. I cannot think of any other slow footed, non-athletic qb in the league whose successful right now(maybe P. Rivers). Most of the good young qb’s now have decent to outstanding athletic ability.

I’m not concerned about the one’s skin color when it comes to playing qb in the NFL. I’m more concerned first about one’s leadership skills (Griffin’s best trait), his accuracy( 72%),his ability to process information on the fly, and his athletic ability last.
    RG3 should be fine. If he fails, it won’t be because he’s black.

87. First Bruce Allen (Great move), Then Mike Shanahan (Great move), then 12 players in the 2011 draft(Great move) Now RGIII as Superman QB (mind-boggling great move). It is easy to see that this team is morphing into an NFL powerhouse dynasty. Only those who are jealous and spiteful will keep the hate flowing like red wine. Wow- I write some good stuff.

88. killerskrew…the only black qb to win a superbowl was with the redskins…DOUG WILLIAMS…people like you are retarded…won’t, don’t, and can’t….ridiculous…and they swapped this years you idiot…meaning they traded places…they still have there first rounder…Ditka gave up his whole damn draft to the redsking to get Ricky Williams…with the new CBA…this won’t be the last time you here about this…I would love to play you in a friendly game of football…and then afterwards take you to the boxing ring and put it up on you tube…you IDIOT!!!