Bud Adams wants Peyton Manning in Tennessee

Bud Adams AP

Peyton Manning played his college football at Tennessee. If the owner of the Titans gets his way, that’s where Manning will resume his professional career as well.

Adams told Jim Wyatt of the Tennessean that he wants Manning in Tennessee, and he’s willing to spend what he has to spend to make it happen.

He is the man I want. Period,” Adams said. “And the people that work for me understand that. They know who I want. I want Mr. Manning with the Titans and I will be disappointed if it doesn’t happen.”

From a business perspective, it’s easy to see why Adams feels that way: Manning remains an enormously popular figure in Tennessee, where he had a brilliant college career, and in a state where the Tennessee Volunteers are huge, the Titans would be able to charge virtually any price they want for season tickets if Manning were their quarterback.

However, Wyatt reports that Titans General Manager Ruston Webster, Chief Operating Officer Mike Reinfeldt and head coach Mike Munchak aren’t on board with Adams’ goal. The Titans’ football people think veteran Matt Hasselbeck and last year’s top pick, Jake Locker, make quarterback a position where the Titans are strong.

So that raises the question: Will the owner get his way? Or will the football people get to shape the direction of the football team? Adams sounds like he knows it’s a long shot that Manning would come on board, but he also sounds like he wants the fans in Tennessee to know he’s doing all he can.

“I hope to be one of the teams he looks at,” Adams said. “Since he went to school in Tennessee I think Tennessee is where he should be. I think he could play for two or three years. I think he’s the guy that could come in and turn this around for us. That’s why I am so anxious to get him to come visit with us and I want him on my team. I could sit down with him and show him what [we’d be willing to pay]. If he would come [meet] with me he would be happy with what he’d get. . . . I want Manning.”

Permalink 47 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
47 Responses to “Bud Adams wants Peyton Manning in Tennessee”
  1. jeremywflores says: Mar 11, 2012 6:01 PM

He also wanted Vince Young.

2. lowleadman says: Mar 11, 2012 6:01 PM

It’s only money.

3. skito13 says: Mar 11, 2012 6:02 PM

So be it…..

4. warhammer420 says: Mar 11, 2012 6:03 PM

Get in line, Bud. LoL!

5. straighcashhomie84 says: Mar 11, 2012 6:04 PM

Manning want to be a Viking, but Christian Ponder has much more talemt. Sorry Payton :(

6. schulzey22 says: Mar 11, 2012 6:04 PM

Bud wanted VY too, how’d that work out?

7. 4ever19 says: Mar 11, 2012 6:04 PM

PR move top to bottom. Really don’t think Manning would want to be in the same division as the Colts, nor would the Titans be able to offer him what he wants.

8. steelgrave says: Mar 11, 2012 6:05 PM

Bud Adams’ train left the station years ago. With Al Davis gone, Bud inherits the title of “Owner with the Least Clue”. At least Davis won some Super Bowls, all Adams has ever done is poop in his own back yard.

9. finsfan4life1977 says: Mar 11, 2012 6:05 PM

Elvis will be back in Tennessee before Peyton will.

10. FinFan68 says: Mar 11, 2012 6:06 PM

~~~~~~~~~~
    Those comments could have a whole new meaning if you remove [the brackets]

11. vipod4ever says: Mar 11, 2012 6:10 PM

Manning as a Titan…now that could be a kick in the Irsay gut, wouldn’t it?

12. pacificnw7722 says: Mar 11, 2012 6:10 PM

Why would you want to halt the development of Jake Locker??

It’s not like they are a QB away from going to the Super Bowl…..

Someone should like up the liquor cabinet of Bud Adams.

13. cliffordc05 says: Mar 11, 2012 6:10 PM

Just the fact that the owner shoots his mouth off without speaking to his football people is probably indicative of why Manning will not be in Tennessee next year.

14. djaehne says: Mar 11, 2012 6:10 PM

He also wanted VY. He also wanted out of Houston before.

15. colt2011 says: Mar 11, 2012 6:11 PM

IF he wanted him that bad, he would have reached out sooner. And money is not likely the biggest bargaining tool.

Peyton has been a FA since noon last Wed. If your execs don’t want him, he must know that already. Let the man finish his visits. Without false hope and promises.

16. roamingabriel says: Mar 11, 2012 6:12 PM

I’ve been wondering about this idiot since the first report said they were interested.

I can’t see Manning signing on with them…

17. kosarsmyidol says: Mar 11, 2012 6:12 PM

I think that Manning would be a better fit for the NFC West. In a weak division, he could lead the 49ers, Seahawks or Cardinals to a strong enough record to earn a bye. If you’re Smith, Jackson or Kolb, you could still hold your head high after getting replaced by Manning.

18. lucky5934 says: Mar 11, 2012 6:13 PM

If Peyton really wants the best fit, the Dolphins with Marshall or Cardinals with Fitz would be the best fit. They could both bring in Wayne and Clark to compliment the standout wr each team already has. Bush would have a field day catching balls out of the backfield with Wayne, Marshall, and Clark commanding respect.

19. nyyjetsknicks says: Mar 11, 2012 6:13 PM

It would be interesting if he stayed in the same division. It would be a ton of pressure on Luck.

20. burghman says: Mar 11, 2012 6:13 PM

Tim Tebow wants Manning in Tennessee as well…

21. leeroyski says: Mar 11, 2012 6:15 PM

Not a problem. Please return Jake Locker and Matt Hasselback to Seattle where they belong, and Peyton can return where he came from…

22. mjkelly77 says: Mar 11, 2012 6:17 PM

Hey Bud, ask Manning to throw. You’ll no longer want him. Nobody will. He’s done. He’s just looking to rip off the highest bidder like he ripped off Irsay and the Colts last season.

As my Latin teacher, Sister Dulcilia would say …
    Caveat Emptor.

23. randomguy9999 says: Mar 11, 2012 6:18 PM

ummm hes 3 days late speaking up and Peyton is having his first staff meeting today…..

24. drewzducks says: Mar 11, 2012 6:18 PM

But he’ll settle for Dan Pastorini.

25. breadslicer says: Mar 11, 2012 6:21 PM

I’m flabbergasted.

As a Falcon fan all I can say is Jake Locker looked pretty damn good to me in last year’s Falcons/Titans.

26. billmead1976 says: Mar 11, 2012 6:25 PM

all this hoopla for a guy that only has one super bowl win (and that was against Safe Rex Grossman), no ncaa national championships, no heisman.
    steve spurrier owns peyton manning. son of archie. born loser.

27. nomoreseasontix says: Mar 11, 2012 6:27 PM

Adams is nuts. Not gonna happen…

28. lenwhale says: Mar 11, 2012 6:27 PM

Bud didnt know Peyton was a free agent till the Wyatt told him during the interview.

29. burgundyandgold says: Mar 11, 2012 6:28 PM

That should work for Peyton – a tiny city, a forgiving press corp, a forgiving fan base and no real expectations.

30. neupower says: Mar 11, 2012 6:28 PM

Yeah I’m sure you do Bud. I wanted him in Miami…Unfortunately Peyton has already visited the teams he is going to choose from. I’m guessing Denver over Arizona.

31. snarkzilla says: Mar 11, 2012 6:29 PM

Nice. Locker and Hasselbeck must feel really good about playing for this clown. Not having to put up with the whims of Adams, Ross, Snyder etc. is one of the best things about being a Green Bay fan.

32. realfootballfan says: Mar 11, 2012 6:30 PM

Although he just lives in another city, it always seems like Bud Adams is on another planet in relation to the football people at his team.

Sometimes it seems like the football people explicitly ignore him and do their own thing until really big stuff happens like when
    Jeff Fisher and Vince Young went through their public divorce.

I mean, you’re speculating if the football people or the owner will get their way, lol. The owner kind of trumps everybody in the organization, doesn’t he?

33. kevpft says: Mar 11, 2012 6:34 PM

If this keeps up, there are going to be a whole lot of starting QBs this year feeling insecure/insulted. It’s one thing for a team like Denver to be looking, but the Titans have what they need at QB. Manning’s a great prize, but some of these teams will end up both without Manning and sabotaged at QB.

34. lucky5934 says: Mar 11, 2012 6:36 PM

In hindsight, I bet the Raiders wish they waited to trade for Carson Palmer. They could have had a better QB without giving up the First Round pick…

35. mwcarolina says: Mar 11, 2012 6:40 PM

i cant see this, even if Adams throws a ton of money his way. i just dont see Manning going to the AFC South.

36. denverdave3 says: Mar 11, 2012 6:43 PM

This Bronco fan wishes Bud good luck. I think Peyton would divert and stall our team’s youth movement. I’d rather spend the money on a couple young top-notch free agents who could stay in Denver for years to come. If Peyton had anything left, it seems to me the Colts would have renegotiated his contract – I guess they still could do that.

Denver has way too many weaknesses to win the big one for a few years so give Tebow another year, then go from there.

37. nflfan877 says: Mar 11, 2012 6:49 PM

Titans just invested — a lot — in Hasselbeck for now and Locker for future. Obviously neither are Manning, but both played very well last year.

This would be a waste, they could use the help at other places more.

38. thraiderskin says: Mar 11, 2012 7:31 PM

I actually think this is a smart fit. Solid offensive weapons, a young QB to be groomed/fall-back-on and a chance at revenge twice a year.

39. dlmcc1010 says: Mar 11, 2012 7:37 PM

The feeling needs to be mutual and there is no way Peyton Manning would want to play on a non contender

I still think when all is said and done that he winds up on the Texans.

40. thepatriotsaregay says: Mar 11, 2012 7:48 PM

why are these teams so willing to just trash the careers of their young stars like Locker for some old injured QB who won’t be there beyond 2 years……sad/stupid.

41. ProDolphinsTalk says: Mar 11, 2012 8:32 PM

Every owner in the league should take a hard look at this. How often does a player with this much risk/reward come available? People say he’s got two good years left in him if he’s healthy but he was cleared to play. You may just be getting a future HOF’r with a chip on his shoulder, a well rested 90% of his body and a no doubt wiser mind. Peyton didn’t forget how to play football. He could win his second Super Bowl in the right situation, right now. I applaud the Dolphins and now the Titans for saying “of course we would be interested in Peyton freaking Manning”.

42. gmen1987 says: Mar 11, 2012 9:08 PM

Hey Bud, I heard there is this QB called Vince Young whose a free agent. He won the national championship for the University of Texas. Want to sign him?

43. uscthom78 says: Mar 11, 2012 9:12 PM

Hey Bud, you will have to talk with Archie the Ventriloquist. He’s the one who controls where his daughters play.

44. winskins says: Mar 11, 2012 9:15 PM

“I hope to be one of the teams he looks at,” Adams said.

Umm. Last time I checked, teams had 53 men on them.

45. apmn says: Mar 11, 2012 9:53 PM

Houston signs Peyton, then trades him to Tennessee for the Oilers franchise.

46. patsfiend says: Mar 11, 2012 10:48 PM

Everybody is on Manning’s jock, amazing! I hope he does well, and stays out of the AFC East!

47. CKL says: Mar 12, 2012 1:39 PM

jeremywflores says: Mar 11, 2012 6:01 PM

He also wanted Vince Young.

-––––––––––––––––––––––––––––––
    HAHAHA In my book, you win the internet for the week. Well played.