Colston says he wasn’t interested in chasing free agency

137014306_extra_large Getty Images

The Saints and receiver Marques Colston worked out a new deal on Tuesday, only a few hours before the launch of free agency.  Colston says he had no interest in hitting the market.

“This was important to me, to be back with this team in this situation,” Colston said in comments distributed by the team.  “I was not looking to chase free agency; it was more important for me to be back in our program, a program we have been building and a program I believe in.  The Saints have been loyal to me from the beginning and I want to thank my agent Joel Segal and Saints G.M. Mickey Loomis for getting this deal done before free agency.  Now it is time to get back to work and win some more rings.”

Colston, sure-handed and reliable, is only one of seven NFL players in league history to generate more than 1,000 receiving yards in five of his first six seasons.  And he has continued to contribute at a high level despite knee problems.

The true value of the five-year, $40 million contract with $20 million guaranteed (supposedly) won’t be known for at least a few days.  As previously mentioned, a league source tells PFT that the reported numbers are a little inflated.

As they always seem to be.

Either way, Colston is under contract with the Saints for five more years.  That should make quarterback Drew Brees happy.  Or, as the case may be, less pissed.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “Colston says he wasn’t interested in chasing free agency”
  1. jackntorres says: Mar 13, 2012 1:36 PM

You mean he didn’t want to catch passes from Alex Smith?

Incredible

2. trollhammer20 says: Mar 13, 2012 1:42 PM

It really seems to me this is one of those cases where the player fits the system. I don’t think Colston is nearly as productive if he goes to another team.

3. jason1980 says: Mar 13, 2012 1:45 PM

What a classy guy! Geaux SAINTS!!!!

4. dvdman123 says: Mar 13, 2012 1:45 PM

The rich stay rich.

5. JackLeone says: Mar 13, 2012 1:51 PM

This could be the first step in signing Brees in a coaxing him to stay kind of way….

6. thatobnoxiousguy says: Mar 13, 2012 2:00 PM

Jahri Evans and Colston are team players that show loyalty.

Brees only cares about himself and has demonstrated that multiple times.

Greedy, hypocritical, and two-faced, that is Drew Brees.

7. mnpackersfan says: Mar 13, 2012 2:01 PM

Translation: “My agent told me that everyone was going after Vincent Jackson instead”.

8. huskersrock1 says: Mar 13, 2012 2:01 PM

Good move by Colston, now he needs to cash in his loyalty bonus and open a business, a restaurant or something…

Colston Motors has a good ring to it if his boss would let him.

9. jackntorres says: Mar 13, 2012 2:03 PM

trollhammer20 says: Mar 13, 2012 1:42 PM

———-

Yes 6’4″ 220 lb receivers who secrete stick em from his sudoriferous glands and are tougher than nails usually don’t translate well.

You’d probably be better off with V Jackson. Ha.

Compare their stats and let me know.

10. djjasonpaul says: Mar 13, 2012 2:40 PM

Now to get Nicks to sign his deal and then rework Drews deal for a 5yr one..

11. b0rker says: Mar 13, 2012 2:41 PM

thatobnoxiousguy says:
    Mar 13, 2012 2:00 PM
    Jahri Evans and Colston are team players
    that show loyalty.
    Brees only cares about himself and has
    demonstrated that multiple times.
    Greedy, hypocritical, and two-faced, that
    is Drew Brees.

– – – – – – – – – –
    The Saints offered a ‘slap-in-the-face’ offer. How can you label him as greedy if he was under-offered for his services?

12. jackntorres says: Mar 13, 2012 2:42 PM

@mnpackersfan

Let me enlighten you…

Jackson
    272 catches 4754 yards 17.5 yards/catch 37 touchdowns in 7 years

Colston449 catches 6240 yards 13.9 yards/catch 48 touchdowns in 6 years

13. infectorman says: Mar 13, 2012 3:18 PM

he would’ve been if he knew the equivalent of Bobby Joe Hebert was chuckin’ it to him next year.
    When does the “integrity man”, Brew Drees sign with the beleaguered Saints/?

14. ckirklin79 says: Mar 13, 2012 3:31 PM

@huskersrock1: He already has one of those. Owner of a real estate company.

15. ilovefoolsball says: Mar 13, 2012 3:46 PM

jackntorres says:
    Mar 13, 2012 2:42 PM
    @mnpackersfan

Let me enlighten you…

Jackson
    272 catches 4754 yards 17.5 yards/catch 37 touchdowns in 7 years

Colston449 catches 6240 yards 13.9 yards/catch 48 touchdowns in 6 years

_______
    I think this calls for a case of BOOM ROASTED!

16. doubleogator says: Mar 13, 2012 5:20 PM

To “thatobnoxiousguy”, Drew Brees is greedy, hypocritical, and two faced. You also probably thought Jeffrey Dahmer was a nice guy too…

17. mrpowers88 says: Mar 13, 2012 7:32 PM

jackntorres says:
    Mar 13, 2012 2:03 PM
    trollhammer20 says: Mar 13, 2012 1:42 PM

———-

——-

If he secreted half as much seperation as he did stick em (or knee cartilage for that matter), other teams wouldve been glad to sign him.

Way too many knee surgeries (especially microfracture, which hes had more than one of) to give 40/20guaranteed over 5 years. VJ and his agent are lickin their chops now

18. ckirklin79 says: Mar 13, 2012 8:17 PM

@mrpowers88
    (6) 1,000-yd seasons out of 7. Not bad for a slow stepper with bad knees. Not to mention one of those 1,000-yd seasons (2011) he only played 12 games due to a broken collarbone. Saints aren’t complaining.

19. jackntorres says: Mar 13, 2012 8:27 PM

mrpowers88 says: Mar 13, 2012 7:32 PM

jackntorres says:
    Mar 13, 2012 2:03 PM
    trollhammer20 says: Mar 13, 2012 1:42 PM

———-

——-

—-
    You don’t catch 449 balls in 6 years in the NFL without the ability to separate. You don’t need elite speed to be an elite route runner. Go watch some more football and come back when you’ve learned something.

20. besdayz says: Mar 14, 2012 4:13 AM

——————————————-

6’4 with a ridiculous wingspan and vertical and toughness to run over the seam and middle means he’s virtually uncoverable and with great hands will catch everything.

he has 50 TD from Brees. Isn’t the nfl record 113 Manning to Harrison? with 4 more yrs he’ll likely approach 80-90 which puts him in the all time greats category.