Randy Moss vows to prove himself with 49ers: “I’ve gotten a bad rap”

Minnesota Vikings v New York Jets Getty Images

Hours after signing with the 49ers, Randy Moss pronounced himself ready to play in San Francisco, and he said there are misconceptions about him, both in terms of what he has left on the field and what he’ll be like in the 49ers’ locker room.

“I think when it comes to the world-wide sports media, I’ve gotten a bad rap . . . not being a team player and things like that,” Moss said. “I really don’t want to get into that because that’s not what I’m here for. I think that one thing I’d like the sports world to understand is the love and the passion I have for the game of football. I think every player wants to win and every organization wants to win.”

Although Moss has been out for a full year and didn’t look like he had much left when he played in 2010, he says he’s going to be the Moss of old with the 49ers.

“I’m ready to go,” Moss said. “I think you can hear from my last workout with the Saints and here today with the 49ers, I’m ready to get back into the game of football. I think I can still play at a high level. So I look forward to learning the offense and getting with the group of guys in the locker room and learning what my role is going to be on this team. Like I said, I accept the challenge, and I’m ready to bring the fans out of their seats.”

Moss also said he was impressed with the arm strength of 49ers coach Jim Harbaugh when the two worked out together.

“Yes, he can still bring it at his old age,” Moss said of Harbaugh. “I don’t know, he’s probably sitting there with an ice pack or something on his shoulder right now, but, yeah, he can still wing it.”

If Moss can still bring it at his own old age, the 49ers just got a major free agency addition.

Permalink 91 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Top Stories
91 Responses to “Randy Moss vows to prove himself with 49ers: “I’ve gotten a bad rap””
  1. xmgmx says: Mar 13, 2012 7:39 AM

The Moss of old? So he’s going to be a loud mouth, lazy pri** ?

2. intrafinesse says: Mar 13, 2012 7:46 AM

Poor Randy has a bad rap.
    It’s so unfair.
    It must be the Liberal Media. Or Rush Limbaugh.
    It couldn’t possibly be his attitude and actions, especially in 2010.

3. skeetys says: Mar 13, 2012 7:47 AM

One thing about Randy Moss is he will never speak politically correct. People don’t understand him and think he’s a jerk for saying out lout what we all think. I wish he was still a Viking and Childress never cut him.

4. bangitfootball says: Mar 13, 2012 7:48 AM

Randy Moss gave himself “a bad rap”.

5. sfloyal says: Mar 13, 2012 7:49 AM

I don’t know if it’s possible but I’d love to see his contract filled with incentives to block down field. Even if he’s lost a step, or two, he’ll still be a better down field threat than anyone else we have. My concern is his inability, and unwillingness, to block on run plays.

In Harbaalke We Trust!

6. bangitfootball says: Mar 13, 2012 7:50 AM

Moss spent all his money aready? He must of had T.O.s financial advisor.

7. mgfred says: Mar 13, 2012 7:51 AM

I’m glad to see Randy get another chance to play. He’s always seemed to do his best on teams that are motivated to win. His last year with the Pats may have had more to do with Bill O’Brien’s coaching than any lack of enthusiasm on his part.

8. lottsmissingfinger says: Mar 13, 2012 7:51 AM

If the contract is the veteran minimum (probably 1.2 to 1.4 mil for Moss) with a lot of incentives and they draw a clear line in the sand like they did with B Edwards, 49er fans should trust the signing.

9. jdandcoke says: Mar 13, 2012 7:53 AM

a lot of people will not think much of this signing, but if moss is actually motivated, i think it was a real good move by the niners.

10. bigzant82 says: Mar 13, 2012 7:53 AM

swaggggggg glad for u moss u got 1 last shot

11. swagjag says: Mar 13, 2012 7:53 AM

Ultimate team player = “When I want to play, I play.”

12. loungefly74 says: Mar 13, 2012 7:56 AM

thats fine Randy..do your media control but i tell ya, as a Niner fan, i expect you to bring it EVERY game. don’t make chris carter out to be a genius. (quit comments)

13. mnsadsportsfan says: Mar 13, 2012 7:57 AM

straight cash homey

14. wryly1 says: Mar 13, 2012 7:57 AM

If nothing else, he can draw some coverage to the outside and deep – and they’ll be glad to have him doing so – unless he becomes a problem.

15. CKL says: Mar 13, 2012 7:59 AM

When you have players on opposing teams saying to the media that you quit (Pats vs Car in 09), I don’t think you “got a bad rap”. I think you created it, dude. Judge & Silver (on Twitter) put the over/under on this one lasting at Nov.

16. hillbillyjim says: Mar 13, 2012 8:00 AM

He gotten himself a sweet ass education too!

17. justwinmaybe says: Mar 13, 2012 8:02 AM

At least Crabtree will have an appropriate role model now…..

18. kelvinmchale says: Mar 13, 2012 8:04 AM

Randy’s like a box of chocolates, you never know what you’re gonna get.

19. tallguyme says: Mar 13, 2012 8:11 AM

Yes Randy, it MUST be a problem with the Raiders organization… and the Patriots… and the Vikings… and the Titans… and not you. gimme a break, bro.

20. wetpaperbag3 says: Mar 13, 2012 8:15 AM

mgfred says: Mar 13, 2012 7:51 AM

=====================================

Moss has been coached under Al Davis, Bill Belichick, Jeff Fischer, Dennis Green, and Brad Childress regimes during his entire career. The complete spectrum of personalities and team dynamics and Randy Moss QUIT on EVERY SINGLE LAST OF THOSE TEAMS at some point during those various tenures.

There has never been a question about Moss’ abilities. It’s his self-motivation that is the real issue here. Unfortunately for San Francisco, there will be a point during the season where Moss will mentally withdraw from the game because of that team’s philosophy of run first, jumbo run sets, flex tight end scheming; becoming frustrated by the lack of passes in his direction. For whatever reason, I can’t see Harbaugh changing his offensive playing style and philosophy for ONE man.

This little ill-fated marriage will end in a one-and-done. And not to mention, what will happen to the ego of one said Vernon Davis. Davis went from big headed diva, to mature team player and captain, and back to big headed diva while back under Harbaugh. Once he sees fewer passes thrown his way, will HE be a distraction like while first under Singletary when he didn’t get the ball enough?

Now the team will employ three of the biggest divas in the game; Moss, Davis, and Crabtree. Get your popcorn ready!

21. hugejazz says: Mar 13, 2012 8:18 AM

He’ll be a good teammate this year to get back in good graces with the HOF voters. He’ll turn into poison as soon as he thinks he’s not getting the ball enough or the team doesn’t win. Randy only plays for a winner when he wants to play for a winner. I hate to say it but he might be just another front runner, unwilling to put the effort in for the betterment of the whole team. He won’t black down field.

22. jimmyshultz says: Mar 13, 2012 8:19 AM

We will see how long this attitude adjustment lasts for Moss. From what I saw last year this team made safe throws to running backs in the flats and underneath the defense. They won with running the ball and very high percentage throws that even Alex Smith couls make. Don’t forget they also had IMO one of the best kicker/punter dios the NFL has ever seen.

I have watched the game films and I saw a team that shortened the game every week with safe play calling, defense, a great year kicking by Akers who broke the scoring record for the NFL, and Lee jamming the ball inside the 20 time and time again.

I don’t think Moss realizes he will just be a decoy. We will see after week 6 ends and his stats line looks something like below if his attitude is still the same. Get out your water bottles Randy!!

Next year the Niners are this years Bears!! 7-9 Write it down…I see it every year in the NFL!

26 catches 310 yards 2 TD

23. hugejazz says: Mar 13, 2012 8:20 AM

I meant BLOCK downfield. Sorry.

24. joecool16280 says: Mar 13, 2012 8:20 AM

So much for the “class organization” thing.

As a Niner fan I just died a little in the inside.

25. packfaninchitown says: Mar 13, 2012 8:27 AM

Yeah Randy, you got cut from the Vikings, the Raiders, the Vikings again and the Titans because of a misunderstanding…

26. theytukrjobs says: Mar 13, 2012 8:28 AM

He does get a bad rap. When he played for the Vikings (the first time) he was considered a good locker room guy and one of the hardest workers on the team by coaches and players.

Yet the media painted him as a guy who “took plays off”. He took plays off because he ran more deep routes than anyone in the league and he was gassed. Media always made too much out of that. His own coaches supported that strategy yet fans and media thought it made him a slouch? Sometimes silly.

27. GG Eden says: Mar 13, 2012 8:31 AM

In 2012 Moss will moon himself.

28. tqaztec says: Mar 13, 2012 8:38 AM

SF traffic cops beware!

29. upyoursnfu says: Mar 13, 2012 8:39 AM

Well, when you admit to taking plays off….

30. qdog112 says: Mar 13, 2012 8:43 AM

Is this the move that is supposed to put the 9ers into the Super Bowl? While I understand wanting to stretch the defense, I can’t see it with a guy who has his character issues and who with that risk, is so old. Is it this year or bust? Renting a “some-timey” guy is not the way I would go. There are too many down the field guys available, who can give multiple years of service and have not admitted to quitting.

This marriage will end badly.

31. abninf says: Mar 13, 2012 8:47 AM

I’ve watched Moss quit on plays with my own eyes.

32. waxthat says: Mar 13, 2012 8:49 AM

@joecool

relax man…every team has its bad apples. Randy either contributes and you will cheer him on or he doesnt and hes out. It’s not like they signed him to a 4 year deal.

Go Niners! Moss dis moss dat mossdismossdat

33. johnnyb216 says: Mar 13, 2012 8:50 AM

T.O. must be so pissed.

34. leroysbutler says: Mar 13, 2012 8:52 AM

Moss is an insult to the game of football and to his God given talent.

35. rmj8701 says: Mar 13, 2012 8:52 AM

As a niner fan what bothers me about this move is that the team doesn’t run an offense that will make this signing significant. Some people may believe this is going to change the offense and the offense was lack luster because there we no one to stretch the field last year. Wrong. We had one of the fastest players in the league last year by the name of Ted Ginn Jr. Now I’m not comparing him to moss in terms of overall career production, just speed and the team still lacked an ability to go deep. Just saying.

36. vaphinfan says: Mar 13, 2012 8:52 AM

wryly1 says:
    Mar 13, 2012 7:57 AM

______________________________

This gameplan will work great for the first 5 games until his legs get wore down and he starts blaming everyone else on the team because he can’t take the responsiblity to say the problem is me.

37. gmen1987 says: Mar 13, 2012 8:53 AM

You have no one but yourself to blame for your reputation, Jake.

38. natswizskincap says: Mar 13, 2012 8:53 AM

He still has to deal with the streaky Smith throwing him the ball! But I’m Jelly of the Niners!!!

39. pacificamjr says: Mar 13, 2012 9:03 AM

when has harbaugh exhibited any class joe?

the guy is a blowhard, he’s an egomaniac (also a drunk)… they could have easily brought in an actual (non roster) QB to throw to him…

the real alex smith will come back this year and randy is gonna blow up that locker room, and its gonna be fun to watch!

8-8

40. alewatcher says: Mar 13, 2012 9:11 AM

You don’t just “get a bad rap”. You earn a bad rap.

41. rubicon202 says: Mar 13, 2012 9:13 AM

Once the losing starts Moss’ true colors will show, they always have. Its nice 2 believe a frsh start with a new team will change that but nah, that won’t happen…he quits

42. rdrs68 says: Mar 13, 2012 9:15 AM

YO RANDY! wake up dude you earned your “rap” both as a lazy player and a food critic jerk. Live with it because it going away.

43. ravenmad1 says: Mar 13, 2012 9:21 AM

Correction! You haven’t gotten a bad rap, you’ve given yourself a bad rap! No denying the unbelievable talent, but Moss and T.O have been the prototype for the NFL DIVA receiver! We continuously hear of the tantrums, n how Moss use to take plays off! So Moss should have no need to prove he’s still good and shouldn’t have a bad rap, we know he has skills but lacks 100% devotion and commitment to whatever team he plays for, or decides not to play for!

44. pftsc says: Mar 13, 2012 9:21 AM

Randy Moss vows, “I’ve earned a bad rap”

45. sdisme says: Mar 13, 2012 9:25 AM

If Randy lasts the year with Harbaugh, I will be shocked.

46. dukemarc says: Mar 13, 2012 9:27 AM

How big of a fit is Randy going to throw the first time he runs a Fly route and Alex Smith throws it 10 yards short?

47. sixjak says: Mar 13, 2012 9:27 AM

rmj8701 says:
    Mar 13, 2012 8:52 AM

—————–

Ummmm, are you high? I don’t care who we had last year. Our receivers could barely catch a cold. We led the league in dropped passes for cryin out loud. Superbowl #6 would be sitting in the trophy case had we any receivers who knew how to hold on to the freaking ball.

48. jonny42671 says: Mar 13, 2012 9:31 AM

As a life long Viking Fan I appreciate everything Randy brought to Minnesota and I wish him the best. It’s to bad Childress was a moron, Favre and Moss really would have been something to see. Unlike the pathetic Packet fans, we appreciate what former players did for us!

49. blackngoldsuperbowl says: Mar 13, 2012 9:32 AM

DEJA VU

50. FinFan68 says: Mar 13, 2012 9:42 AM

He just wanted to play for as many different NFL teams as Owens. This makes 5 each…unless you count the Vikings twice.
    He caused his own “bad rap”. His talent has never been questioned. His character has been, but it’s his motivation and attitude that make him a gamble. I think Harbaugh has the best chance of getting that old school production from Moss.

51. vikefan says: Mar 13, 2012 9:42 AM

we will see what happens the first game you only get only 2-3 passes your way and take some running plays off, see how fast the frustration sets in.

he does not have the same speed, wont run across the middle, i see him as a possible double coverage posession reciever that tries to break a tackle or two….but then again at his age, double coverage may not be necessary.

52. jerrykill4pres says: Mar 13, 2012 9:44 AM

If only Randy had Jerry Rice’s attitude on the field, Randy would have been the best WR to ever step on the field. Rice worked hard, and every WR to ever come into the NFL is measured by the standards Rice set. Randy has been known as the best deep threat to ever play the game. There has never been a better WR to have the body control, and the ability to find the ball and make that tough catch. His ability to make adjustments to the ball were amazing. I remember him in the late 90’s and early 2000’s in his career with the Purple, and this guy would make amazing catches and plays. Daunte Culpepper wasn’t “that good”… Randy made him look good! He could be running down the field, what looked like half speed, and the ball was coming to him, he knew it, and at the very last second would poke his arm up there, and take that ball, and then finally would use his long stride and pull away from a defender. Watching him when he wanted to play was a thing of beauty. But his attitude really hurt his career. Which is to bad, he really had the talent to rewrite just about every WR record ever written..

Don’t knock his attitude off the field though. I’ve ran into him a time or two or ten at Mystic Lake when he played for the Vikings. At the Casino, he was always one of the nicest guys you’d ever meet. I think it’s just that he’s like everyone else. We have all made mistakes in life. He’s a high profile athlete, and they get scrutinized in the media! And sometimes Randy just feels he’s always being singled out or picked on. He is far from broke.. He did alot better with his money than TO did….

One thing that really hurt Randy was when his best friend and teammate Korey Stringer passed away from the heat at training camp. Randy took it very hard, and i think it still bothers him to this day.

Randy with the “i have something to prove” attitude can be very dangerous. He can either have his bad attitude, and go backwards, or he can make any and every DB in the league look silly… To this day, when Randy wants to play ball, and he get’s involved in the game, there is not a DB that can cover him. If he still has his 4.3 speed, he could still be dangerous. I think some people forget years ago, it was a sub 4.3………

53. joetoronto says: Mar 13, 2012 9:45 AM

“I’ve gotten a bad rap”

And so it begins…..

Surprise!

54. hatesycophants says: Mar 13, 2012 9:48 AM

Not a fan of the 49ers and I hate their fans. However, I am a huge fan of Randy Moss. Good luck, Mr. Moss.

Go Lions! Go Badgers!

55. thetooloftools says: Mar 13, 2012 9:51 AM

Good Luck Randy ! Time to school the young pups.

56. rameyag says: Mar 13, 2012 9:59 AM

Actually, at 35 years old and after a year off, I think Moss has mellowed. I think he’ll accept his role and will be a positive addition to the 49ers. I don’t think he’ll have a Pro Bowl year because Vernon Davis will obviously be the focus of the passing game, but just as Jerry Rice accepted his role towards the end of his career as he was padding his numbers, I think Moss will accept his role while he attempts to solidify his numbers just short of Jerry Rice. Certainly, 175 TDs and 17,500 receiving yards is not out of the question at least as goals and if that doesn’t motivate him at this stage of his career, nothing will.

57. getadealdonealready says: Mar 13, 2012 10:01 AM

You say “gotten”, many might say “earned”

58. realitypolice says: Mar 13, 2012 10:10 AM

I don’t think the fact that Moss continues to say he got a “bad rap” and continues to refuse to take responsibility for his actions is a particularly good sign.

59. gs7101 says: Mar 13, 2012 10:12 AM

Even at the old age of 35, Moss, is an upgrade for the 49ers at wide receiver. Moss has certainly lost some of his speed, but he still 6 foot 4 inches. This is definitely his last shot in the NFL, so I highly doubt Moss will screw up this opportunity. The 49ers came within one win from the playing in the Superbowl without Moss — I’m sure the team reminded him of that prior to signing him.

The Patriots took a chance with Chad Ochocinco and he wasn’t a team distraction. So why did Moss want to come out of retirement? It’s all about the cash money, homey!

60. jessethebody says: Mar 13, 2012 10:12 AM

Get your 84 jerseys out! Love him or hate him he is one of the best WRs of all time. No one has ever taken the top off of a defense like Moss did when he exploded onto the scene in 98. Can he still play at a high level? I guess we will see. CAN’T WAIT!!!!

61. Grulks says: Mar 13, 2012 10:13 AM

skeetys wrote:

============
    I’m all for being NON PC. Say what you mean, if people get offended, tough. Nothing in the constitution protects your feelings.

I won’t speak for others, but I think he’s a jerk because he does shtuff like run over parking meter people. I hate getting parking tickets too, but its NEVER occurred to me to run someone over bc I didn’t like being ticketed.

62. gdeli says: Mar 13, 2012 10:17 AM

You did it to yourself moron. Yeah, it was ALL childress’s fault. right. 50/50? less?

63. 16x8equal49ers says: Mar 13, 2012 10:18 AM

Even if has lost a step he will still draw coverage allowing Vernon Davis to get open underneath. Maybe this signing is all strategy and VD85 is going to have a big year, nonethless Moss can still catch a simple deep bomb.

64. tomossriceenoughsaid says: Mar 13, 2012 10:25 AM

any1 who runs over a power trip traffic cop is ok in my book… and only 46 catches to reach a 1000 on the career. On a side note, the 49ers have now have the top 3 wrs of all time on there team at one point or another. yah baby!

65. mobdc202 says: Mar 13, 2012 10:28 AM

Did anyone notice that he started every sentence with “I”?

66. vikingpurple says: Mar 13, 2012 10:30 AM

No one ever questioned his skills – the guy can catch the ball. The problem with Moss is his attitude! The little tirade he pulled with the Vikings when they gave him another chance speaks volumes of his character. He completely went off on the catering company that set up a buffet for the team. He pranced around like none of it was good enough for him! Everyone on the team looked at him like what a d-bag? He can’t help himself when it comes to shootin off his mouth. I used to be a huge fan – but now he’s a cancer and the niners don’t need that crap on the way to a title run!

67. firstpitchslam says: Mar 13, 2012 10:32 AM

If there is one thing to know about human.nature it’s that it doesn’t change. He’ll be a model citizen for awhile and then he’ll feel aggrieved about some perceived slight and then the bad Randy rears his ugly head. Get the most out of him while you can SF!

68. tmtz2112 says: Mar 13, 2012 10:36 AM

This is obviously a blog of football experts (HATERS) who are also perfect and never mess up or say nothing they never regret. Give me a break, you could hate moss all you want but he has more skill, cash, women, and probably has done more for charities then you fools ever will, hate all you want, he pays with straight cash homies

69. deconjonesbitchslap says: Mar 13, 2012 10:46 AM

Moss is Boss.

the media picks their friends and enemies. Moss was an enemy, simply because he didn’t care one rats ass about the media.

i applaud him for it. if Moss is back to form, the 49ers just became a scary offense. Crabtree is going to have a huge season, much like Percy Harvin’s stats went up when Moss came.

70. dukemarc says: Mar 13, 2012 10:48 AM

jonny42671 says:
    Mar 13, 2012 9:31 AM
    —————–

Who’s we? You got a mouse in your pocket? Most Vikings fans couldn’t wait to see Randy gone after the way he half-assed it and disparaged a perfectly fine restaurant.

71. dukemarc says: Mar 13, 2012 10:49 AM

tmtz2112 says:
    Mar 13, 2012 10:36 AM
    —————————

He ran someone over and got away with it…..he’s a jackass as a person. Great football player, when he wants to be, but a terrible guy.

72. realitypolice says: Mar 13, 2012 10:50 AM

Mar 13, 2012 10:36 AM
    ===========================

So what?

73. askafeld says: Mar 13, 2012 10:54 AM

In order to stretch the defense you need not only a burner, but someone to sling the football to the burner. Alex Smith is a ball control QB.

I see Randy mailing it in half way through the season, maybe sooner.

74. mvp43 says: Mar 13, 2012 10:56 AM

49 ers better have a damn good caterer…….

75. eaglesnoles05 says: Mar 13, 2012 11:01 AM

This dude is gonna play hard JUST cuz of what chris carter said, even if there was no other motivation at all (like winnig a superbowl, making money, etc…), imo.

76. michfan says: Mar 13, 2012 11:02 AM

Randy, you must not wan’t to talk about the “past, and the bad rap thing” because its
    True!
    Bay area caterer’s…………beware!

77. patsfiend says: Mar 13, 2012 11:16 AM

jimmyshultz says:
    Mar 13, 2012 8:19 AM

26 catches 310 yards 2 TD
    ——————————–
    Great post, but don’t forget that you can also count on a couple drive-killing interceptions where Smith (or Manning) pumps it downfield, it’s off target, and Randy half-asses it trying to knock it down.

That, along with his impromptu press conference, are what got him shipped out of NE.

78. mrjackson206 says: Mar 13, 2012 11:35 AM

See the problem is most of you clowns that come in here & hate on Moss signing with the Niners is that yall think we depending on him to be our #1 WR when that’s just not the case. The Niners picked up Moss because he was cheap, motivated, a big target, & still has speed left.

The Niners could still easily pick up another WR like Garcon, Mike Wallace, etc IN ADDITION TO THE MOSS SIGNING. Then half yall fools would shut your mouths & quit hatin, because you know what that would mean in addition to our beast of a D?? CHAMPIONSHIP #6!!

We know yall hated to our franchise turn it around EVEN WITH ALEX SMITH AS OUR QB. So keep hatin, we’ll keep winning.

Niners for life.

79. radrntn says: Mar 13, 2012 11:40 AM

hey Randy, cancer gots a bad rap also, but everybody knows it is what it is.

80. yahmule says: Mar 13, 2012 11:42 AM

The Niners better not get off to a bad start and Alex Smith better not regress. When the going gets tough, Randy checks out mentally.

81. djstangcougar says: Mar 13, 2012 11:44 AM

Even my kids take responsibility for their actions. Be a man, man. Look being lazy is one thing, lying about it and blaming it on someone else is another. Even the Patriots…hell even the Raiders don’t want Moss and that is saying something.

82. contract says: Mar 13, 2012 11:46 AM

Jim Harbaugh is 48 years old … and still the best QB the 49ers have.

83. thesportgenius says: Mar 13, 2012 11:48 AM

You know who is going to have a big year because of Randy? Frank Gore. Randy will lift the top off the D and safeties will be forced to cover the deep threat. No more 8-9 in the box. Last year the weakness was 3rd downs and red zone efficiency. If he comes with his A game it also helps VD, Crabtree and whoever they put in the slot. I see one more FA or high draft pick coming to fill out the receiver corp. No way Harbaugh puts up with any crap so Moss should be in one of his “good Randy”years. If that is the case look out. Explosive O to go with their D will be a killer combo.

84. thermalito says: Mar 13, 2012 11:55 AM

Oh great now we get a morality lesson from a bunch of idiotic, self-righteous American sports fans. Spare us the phony outrage at anything Moss has done. Just drink your beer, get fat and stop pretending any of you morons know anything about life other than your own pathetic existence.

85. jonanthans says: Mar 13, 2012 12:01 PM

***mvp43 says:
    Mar 13, 2012 10:56 AM
    49 ers better have a damn good caterer…….
    ****

LMAO, best post so far!!

86. rajbais says: Mar 13, 2012 12:36 PM

Bad rap???

You commit more trouble and then your services are salivated for!!!!

I wish I were you!!!

87. marvin49 says: Mar 13, 2012 12:36 PM

The naysayers make me laugh.

Randy will come in and be good or he won’t. If he sucks, he won’t play and will be sent packing. If he’s alocker room cancer, he’ll get his walking papers. You guys act like he signed a 40 mil guaranteed contract or something.

Niners will still sign a WR in FA and will likely draft one as well. This wasn’t “THE” move they will make to put them over the top.

It was just “A” move. Low risk, potentially high reward.

They did the same last year with Braylon and released him before the playoffs. If Moss acts up, expect a repeat.

88. managod777 says: Mar 13, 2012 12:42 PM

Alot of folks are running their mouths, saying alot of negative things about Randy Moss. Right now he is statistically one of the top 5 receivers of all time. I want to see all of you hypocrites’ faces when he has a 1,200 yd, 12 TD season, assuming Alex Smith can throw the long ball to him, being introduced with the 49er offense at SB LXVII. #imjustsaying

89. Deb says: Mar 13, 2012 2:45 PM

You haven’t gotten a bad rap. You’ve gotten exactly the rap you deserved. I don’t care what you accomplished with the Vikes the first time around or what you accomplished with the Pats. You just stood there and refused to finish your routes while Favre was getting killed out there. You let down your QB, your team, your coaches, and your fans while collecting millions of dollars. I wouldn’t sign you to a Pee Wee squad, you selfish jerk.

90. mornelithe says: Mar 13, 2012 4:00 PM

Randy doesn’t have a bad rap, he has a bad rep, as in reputation. One which he himself is directly responsible for. Can he turn his career and that reputation around? Absolutely, if he applies himself, becomes less worried about how many times he’s being targeted and simply plays for a TEAM, rather than for himself.

It’s a shame to see how his career spiraled, but as I said, it’s entirely his doing…noone else forced him to give up, noone else forced him to get stuck on himself. He’s not a kid anymore, and this isn’t the playground, time to start acting like an adult, and you’ll be treated as one.

91. GG Eden says: Mar 14, 2012 8:31 AM

Between Moss quitting on routes and Crabtree admiring the footwear of people around him, Alex Smith will probably end up scrambling for as many yards as he throws.