With Colston done, Nicks still may be gone

New Orleans Saints v Carolina Panthers Getty Images

The Saints have secured the services of receiver Marques Colston with a five-year, devil-in-the-details $40 million contract.  So now lock up Pro Bowl guard Carl Nicks before 4:00 p.m. ET?

“I don’t think so,” a source with knowledge of the situation told PFT.

On Monday, Nicks received what he described on Twitter as a “respectable” offer from the Saints, via Mike Triplett of the New Orleans Times-Picayune.

The Saints continue to be concerned about investing too much money in the guard position, given the contract given last year to Jahri Evans.  And Nicks continues to want to become the highest-paid guard in the game.

If Nicks ends up staying with the Saints, don’t expect it to happen until after he hits the market.  Of course, once Nicks hits the open market, the chances of staying could be even smaller.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
37 Responses to “With Colston done, Nicks still may be gone”
  1. bucrightoff says: Mar 13, 2012 1:25 PM

Please get him Tampa. Him and Davin would be wreckers at guard. Now if only Trueblood could be shown the door…

2. contra74 says: Mar 13, 2012 1:25 PM

Vikings would be wise to pick up Nicks, the tackle from the Texans, and draft Kalil. O-line issue solved!

3. sdskelly says: Mar 13, 2012 1:26 PM

How is it that the Bears are targeting EVERY free agent that is coming available?

4. domezo says: Mar 13, 2012 1:29 PM

welcome to the VIKINGS Carl! Ponder will appreciate your presence here!

5. marcinhouston says: Mar 13, 2012 1:29 PM

If anything, wouldn’t this make it less likely that they can keep Nicks? I get it that they have more focus to concentrate on signing him now, but they have less money, and money would seem to be the bigger factor here.

6. mymazdaluvsme says: Mar 13, 2012 1:30 PM

Sources say Da Bears want to sign every “top” free agent in the market

7. denverwhodat says: Mar 13, 2012 1:30 PM

Completely agree on the Bears…when have they proven the ability to go out and sign big-time FAs? At least the departure of Angelo gives their fan base some Free Agent hope.

Sign Nicks soon Saints!

8. hayesair says: Mar 13, 2012 1:30 PM

Would make a nice book-end for Davin Joseph.

9. mnpackersfan says: Mar 13, 2012 1:32 PM

“We’re hearing that the Buccaneers and Bears could be chasing Nicks, if/when he hits the market.”

I think this is a copy/paste from every other story about a guy who is about to hit the market.

10. tatatoothy says: Mar 13, 2012 1:34 PM

Wow. 5 years/$40 million for Colston?

Tiki is FLABBERGASTED!

11. holdsteady76 says: Mar 13, 2012 1:34 PM

How are the Vikings not linked to teams that would be interested? Having just released BOTH Herrera and Hutchinson it seems a near certainty they are involved in the market for a guard.

12. hamcamnewton says: Mar 13, 2012 1:37 PM

Watch the Patriots come out of nowhere and nab him

13. rip4gehrig says: Mar 13, 2012 1:39 PM

I love it when they say “a source”…..be a F-ing man and give a name!!!

14. urlacherbacker says: Mar 13, 2012 1:41 PM

Although it is fun to think about all these guys coming to the Bears, I can only assume that they are going to sign one big free agent. Now that player would be in one of their three biggest need positions: WR, DL or OL. Could be Mario, VJAX, or Nicks. They arent going to buy into all these players or even two of them. One big splash and then they disappear for a week before picking up 2nd and 3rd tier players that are without contract.

15. chc4 says: Mar 13, 2012 1:42 PM

Davin Joseph is always hurt.

16. turbodog1027 says: Mar 13, 2012 1:44 PM

No amount of money is enough to play in Tampa or Minn. Both are where good players go to die

17. demgoodoleboys says: Mar 13, 2012 1:46 PM

Everyone needs to stop! He will remain a saint.

18. mark0226 says: Mar 13, 2012 1:48 PM

He’s doing the same thing to the Saints that he did to Nebraska. As soon as he was draft eligible, he dropped out of class to focus on the money in the NFL. Now that he is a free agent, he is dropping out of the Saints and focusing on the money in Free Agency. Forget that the Saints gave him a shot after being arrested in Nebraska and gave him a Superbowl ring. Show me the money is all he cares about.

19. purplecrowe says: Mar 13, 2012 1:52 PM

The Queens just cut their “poison pill” guard, time to sign another.

Together with Kalil, the left side looks pretty solid for the near-future, keep the rebuilding going…

20. hodous says: Mar 13, 2012 1:53 PM

The real question is how come when I give someone a thumbs up it also counts as a thumbs down and when I click on a thumbs down it doesn’t register at all.

I smell homers…

21. mumaniac1 says: Mar 13, 2012 1:54 PM

Nicks is at the Saints facility right now. I was there paying my balance on my season tickets and I saw him driving in on my way out.

22. nowillrepeat says: Mar 13, 2012 1:56 PM

I will be surprised if Nicks leaves as long as the price is right. He has everything he desires right here at home.

Tampa? Are you serious? Dont think he wants to go to that train wreck. It’s still about winning.

23. Lou Pickney says: Mar 13, 2012 1:59 PM

It seems hard to fathom that the Saints would be able to pay fair market value (or slightly above) to keep Nicks on board. Seldom if ever do you see a back-to-back All-Pro hit unrestricted free agency, but we’re about to later this afternoon.

24. bucrightoff says: Mar 13, 2012 1:59 PM

Lol at the comment about it still being about winning. Then why doesn’t Drew Brees take less money to help keep Nicks?

25. chuckyd317 says: Mar 13, 2012 2:06 PM

Carl, this is God… I want you to play for the Green Bay Packers…

26. nardointhenati says: Mar 13, 2012 2:08 PM

Hello Mr. Nicks… Mike Brown calling
    $49.9 million under the cap+young QB that needs protection- 3 current free agent Bengals at the guard spot= a perfect match.

27. r2dtox says: Mar 13, 2012 2:19 PM

If the Bears sign him, he instantly becomes their best option at WR.

28. rujusten says: Mar 13, 2012 2:26 PM

Question…how do the Bears get ALL this cap space??? Mario Williams, Julius Pepper, Carl Nicks, Brian Urlacher, Jay Cutler, Matt Forte, so on a so forth.

Maybe the commish office needs to see how much money they “dumped” in 2010.

29. Loose Changeup says: Mar 13, 2012 2:29 PM

I don’t think this hampers their ability to keep Nicks. They offered a contract last night that he thought was worthy of consideration, and I can’t see them pulling the offer now that Colston is signed.

If anything, it lets Nicks (and Brees) know that the Saints are serious about contending

30. profootballwalk says: Mar 13, 2012 2:34 PM

hodous says: Mar 13, 2012 1:53 PM

————————————————-

Worked for me – check your stats. ;-)

31. nowillrepeat says: Mar 13, 2012 2:36 PM

————————————
    Nicks said himself he wants to go to a situation where he can win and keep a high profile.

Minny and Tampa currently do not meet those standards.

As for Brees, it looks as if he is taking less money to keep nicks. That or the front office really pulled a fast one on him with the tag.

32. pappavike says: Mar 13, 2012 2:46 PM

Nicks, next stop Minny left side would be pretty stout, Ponder will look a lot better!!

33. jackntorres says: Mar 13, 2012 2:46 PM

rip4gehrig says: Mar 13, 2012 1:39 PM

I love it when they say “a source”…..be a F-ing man and give a name!!!
    —–
    But then how could they just make stuff up?

34. jackntorres says: Mar 13, 2012 2:47 PM

“I don’t think so,” a source with knowledge of the situation told PFT.

——

So the only thing that isn’t respectable is your source?

35. ascensionparish says: Mar 13, 2012 3:01 PM

bucrightoff says:Mar 13, 2012 1:59 PM

________________

Brees has been “taking less” for six years.

36. r2dtox says: Mar 13, 2012 3:14 PM

mumaniac1 says:Mar 13, 2012 1:54 PM

__________________________________

The mailman is at your house right now. I saw him driving in on my way out.

37. gridironmike says: Mar 13, 2012 3:54 PM

My source tells me that Carl Nicks will never play for the Vikings because of all the nasty things their fans have been saying about Carl’s beloved Saints on this site for three straight years.