Bills say Mario Williams will be back Thursday

AP

The Bills know that if defensive end Mario Williams leaves town without a contract, he may not come back.  (Except as a member of the visiting team.)

And so, according to the Bills, Williams has changed his plans.  As of 5:30 p.m., Williams was scheduled to leave town tonight.  The team says that, while he has left the facility for the evening, he plans to return on Thursday.

A source with knowledge of Williams’ plans tells PFT that, in reality, whether he indeed returns on Thursday depends on what happens tonight.  Which suggests that negotiations are continuing — and that they’re at a critical stage.

The fact that the Bills are saying Williams will be back possibly implies that the Bills intend to work through whatever potential hiccups remain in order to land what would be the biggest free agent in franchise history.

Either way, Williams will be back with the Bills tomorrow.  Unless he isn’t.

85 responses to “Bills say Mario Williams will be back Thursday

1. John Vogl of the Buffalo News just tweeted that Williams will be in the Bills’ suite at the Sabres game tonight. The roof will blow off of that place if they show him on the scoreboard.

2. He is signing with Buffalo, all the drama is worthy of the Enquirer! I expect a press conference tomorrow morning at 10am to annouce a 8 year 96 million contract with 50 mil guarenteed….Makes sense to me.

3. I’m sure fellow salespeople everywhere will understand that the “Be-back” buss never comes

4. I lived in Buffalo for 4 years in my mid twenties. Now I live in San Antonio, and I would move back to Buffalo in a second. It is a great sports town, great food, and nice people…..A little too much winter snow, but I would go back.

5. GET OUT AS Fast as you can mario!!! chan gailey is not a championship coach,fitzpatrick mailed it in after he signed his big contract.. merriman will be injured again as he has been 4 years in a row..all the roiids broke his body down..u were on crap teams in houston and now they are contenders and you are gonna go to another mediocre team that hasnt been to the playoffs in a loooong time!!!..

6. Back to the hotel to discuss it with the lady friend. Not sure if the Bills can overcome that “hiccup”. But I hope they do. I’d love to see Mario Williams in Buffalo….a pass rush seems to rattle Tom Brady.

7. Get it done Bills! Our offense clicked last year and Mario Williams would be the missing piece into getting this Buffalo defense some credibility. The trio of Marcell, Mario, and Kyle will make the pass rush on this team unbearable.

8. Seattle will pay you more. I guarantee it. And we will be better fans. And you’ll enjoy Seattle more than Buffalo. Come to Seattle Mario. We will make you the highest paid defensive player in history.

9. This is getting embarrassing for the Bills. They’re like the ugly, fat kid begging the popular girl for a date. When you have a major negative (the players have to live in the one of Americas worst cities – Buffalo), you have to overpay and beg free agents to go there. Pretty sad stuff actually.

10. Being that it’s Buffalo and no one likes them , and it appears the PFT has been wrong on nearly every thing to do with this story, I’m gunna guess they sent their custodian to get the news back to HQ.

11. I’m sure fellow salespeople everywhere will understand that the “Be-back” buss never comes

—————————————–

Do they understand that Bus only has one “S” in it too? Or are you going to try to sell me a double S bus now?? I kid, I kid.

12. He said he was cold in his Buffalo hotel room last night. They gave him a few hundred bucks for a bottle of Vodka, a hooker and a heating blanket to see if he’s able to warm up. If so, he’ll sign his contract on Thursday.

13. Caseyanthoneymunoz

Ummm really

Ranked #2 The Best Cities to Relocate to in America
    Ranked #6 Most Energetic Cities
    Ranked #6 Most Secure Places to Live 2011 (Large Metros)
    Ranked #7 Hypertension Hot Spots
    Ranked #12 America’s Manliest Sports Cities

See More Rankings Click Here

14. To all the people who say Buffalo is a terrible place to be.. Why was Mario “supposed” to leave not once but twice and chosen to stay again? Tomorrow morning Mario Williams will be a Buffalo Bill if he isn’ already.

15. Everyone says if he signs with Buffalo then money is greater than championships. That means the only place he should sign is Giants, Pats, GB, Steelers, NO, Colts, Cards, and Bears (recently). Other than the Bears I haven’t seen any interest from “The Champions”. Go for the money Mario and make a perennial loser (recently) a future champ.

16. MW: Aight guys….I got a flight to catch….I’m lea-
    Bills Front Office: *slams a brief case full of cash down in front of Mario* Nahh….you dont REALLY wanna go, now….right?
    MW: Uhhh, well see, I gotta give everyone their right to speak and let th-
    BFO: I think theres a Sabres game tonight! You into hockey Mario?
    MW: no, not real-…
    BFO: Greeeaat! We have a suite with a perfect view of the ice!
    MW: But guys, my fiancee and I are..
    BFO:….going to LOVE it up here in Buffalo, thats for sure! The fresh air, the food, the sno….uhh, err, great weather! Just a stones throw away from everyones favorite fruit, the BIG APPLE!
    MW: I’m sure its nice and all but..*starts to stand up*
    BFO: SECURITY!!!!!! Lock him down!

17. dasportsninja says:
    Mar 14, 2012 7:28 PM

_____________________________

Not a chance. They’re gonna’ have give ’em more than Peppers, and in all liklihood, over-pay on top of that.

I don’t think the Bills are gonna’ be able to sign him for less than 16M a year – especially after some of the insane contracts given out today. My guess is 7 years, 112M, 60M guaranteed, with 60M paid over the first three years of the deal.

18. From a fan of one perennial struggling franchise (the Bengals) to the fans of another; I hope the Bills snag him and he legitimates them like Reggie White did the Packers in the early 90s.

19. I love how everybody has their own “I’ve been to Buffalo, and let me tell you…” story. Here’s the deal, I live in the Suburbs of Buffalo, actually close to the same part of the city where most of the players reside. Buffalo, the INNER city is in some rough shape, however all of the surrondings are some of the best places in the state. Mr. Pegula and Mr. Black are working on the inner city as we speak, and so far alot has ben done to clean it up. Buffalo has a booming nightlife, Chipewa is where it’s at. Niagara Falls is a mere 15 minute drive from downtown and 30 min. from outside, depending where you live. Kissing Bridge and Holiday Valley are some of the very best places to be during the cold winter months. Beautiful scenary. Wine trials in Niagara county, and a heck of alot closer to the finger lakes than NYC. So yes, Buffalo downtown may not be the most appealing place, however, the only time Mario would be down there would be for a Sabres, Bandits or other event at the arena. So, good try haters.

20. It must be nice to be a fan of a team that actually tries to bring in stud free agents… Tom Brady has 3 maybe 4 years left and instead of trying to bring in a Mario Williams or Cortland Finnegan we are stuck hosting two guys that aren’t even on PFT top 100 list.. Oh and let’s not forget that instead of signing welker to an extension 2 years ago, you now have teams paying out the ass for guys that will no doubt up welkers cap number.. Belichick’s arrogance is really starting to piss me off!!!!

21. Hey caseyanthonymunoz & Herb Deluxe…Guess who attracted all the free agents back in the 80-90’s when they were good. Yup…same team/same city. Winning is the tonic…think Patriots were the place to be in the 90’s when they sucked? Don’t be idiots.

22. of course its about the money. you lil guys arent used to this “buffalo spending money” thing, and honestly not many remember the last time the bills spent big. either way, this is PROOF positive that the bills are ready to move in a new direction.

23. If you look at his career numbers and do the math, it works out to 8 sacks a game. Why would you give this guy a record setting contract? Julius Peppers he ain’t.

24. bananagrabber12 says:
    Mar 14, 2012 7:25 PM
    I wish Mario cared about more than just money. I don’t blame him a bit, but I still wish that.
    ====================

Do you care more about the success of the company you work for than you do about your own financial security?

Didn’t think so.

25. I’m sorry….someone help me. When was the last time a bills fan beat another teams fan either senseless or to death?…..That’s right NEVER.
    Buffalo fans are great sportsfans, win or lose we support our teams..god knows we have enough reason not to!!! I live in another NFL city now but would go back to buffalo ina second if the economy was better. That is truly the only negative about the city…and of course the 100 feet of snow!!! GO BILLS, get this done.

26. Herb Deluxe says:
    Mar 14, 2012 7:35 PM
    Cue the “Why wood he want to live in Bufallo lol” in 5, 4, 3 …
    ===================

Why would (spelling corrected at no extra charge) he want to live in Buffalo (spelling corrected at no extra charge) ?

Anything else I can do for you today?

27. I still say he ends up with Philly. I guess I would understand Philly paying the money because they are close and can easily win the division. The bills however have no chance with or with out Mario. They would be best served splitting that money up over the next two years and building a full team.

28. caseyanthonymunoz says:Mar 14, 2012 7:33 PM

munoz, do you have nothing better to do than troll the buffalo bills links and bash everything about them and the city? everytime a bills link surfaces, it is always followed by your idiotic remarks. Do everyone a favor and stab yourself

29. Where are they going to live and how are they going to spend those HUNDREDS of MILLIONS is Buffalo? At the end of the day they will get on a plane with the Buffalo offer and sign somewhere else.
    You use Buffalo as a chip, not your only bet.

30. I believe the Bills are headed in the right direction regardless if they pick up Mario Williams. The fact that they are pursuing such a commodity is impressive in its own right. Unlike the franchises normal mentality of being conservative, this push exemplifies the Bills desire to win. This potential pick up of Mario Williams would not just benefit the Bills but bring true parity back to the AFC East. The defense is going to be improved upon regardless if they land Mario Williams: just the move to 4-3 and a healthy Kyle Williams, and the 10th pick in the 1st round should allow for a more formidable defense in 2012. As a Buffalo Bills fan I hope that Mario Williams chooses the Bills, not just for the money, but, to be apart of an organization that has strong character and an enormous diehard fan base.

31. dlln147 says:
    Mar 14, 2012 7:43 PM

Because he is probably weighing whether $30 million guaranteed is worth living in Buffalo for 4-5 years

32. mcjon22 says: Mar 14, 2012 7:51 PM

8 SACKS A GAME?!?!?!?! DOUBLE Peppers’ contract for the dude then

33. I can’t wait to see this contract…. Should be gigantic considering what Megatron just raked in at the WR spot, this guy is a pass rusher! I’m thinking, 6 year $135 million with $66 million guaranteed (unless WRs get paid more than stud edge guys, I’m not too sure).

34. @crazybillsfan:

If I were to imagine the rank the priorities of a top 5 free agent, I would rank “greatness of sport fans” at around #1,000.

Virtually every single factor you can think of, anything, is more important to athletes than how passionate the fans are.

In fact, a guy I went to high school with who played ten years in the league said he loved playing in Arizona because when he went out in public no one bothered him because hardly anyone knew who he was. (this was before the Cardinals were relevant)

He, like most NFL players I know, ranked fan interaction amongst the least pleasant and most happily avoided parts of being a professional athlete.

If Buffalo gets Williams, it will because they offered him more than he could get anywhere else. Period.

35. This reminds me of the used car guy that threw the customers keys on the roof of the dealership..:

funny, really good one. poor red-headed stepchildren jill fans… keeping their hopes up without considering the location. best hope is 3rd place in the AFC East

36. “yeah, thanks for everything. My fiancé and I appreciate all of your hospitality. Um, ok, we’ll see you tomorrow morning”.

Mario is already at the airport. Lmao

37. I hate to think what a waste of talent this move would represent. The Bills aren’t built to make the playoffs anytime so to pair with Peon. But they apparently have the cash, so I suppose we should accept the fact that Williams’s potential will never be fully realized during his prime. It’s really too bad the Bears don’t have enough cap space to pair this supremely talented player with Peppers to create the most formidable pass-rushing duo in the league. That would have been a lot of fun to watch.

38. RJKilla – Buffalo bars and clubs are open till 4am.

Mario I think didn’t choose Buffalo simply for the money. I think the push to get him, the fervor of the fans here, and the team really making him feel at home played a part. On top of that, he’s going to be THE star here and THE anchor to the D. Who wouldn’t want that?

39. To rabidbillsfan.
    Rabid you are: Close to death, crazed, deranged.
    The ‘Boom’ of the nightlife in Buffalo is the sound of the car doors closing to head to Canada! You are correct that the best part of Buffalo is the close adjacency of places that are a lot nicer than Buffalo. If I were them I would forbid FA from brining significant others into the city.

40. The guy is injured most of the time. Even when he’s playing its usually with some nagging injury or another. Great guy and nothing personal against him. But he won’t play much in Buffalo because of the injury problems.

41. If Mario signs with Buffalo then other good players will want to play here also!

If not then it ‘s gonna be a long season!

By the way there is plenty to do in Buffalo!

Just stay out of the eastside & westside!

42. Love all the haters living on a sixteenth acre or in tiny apartments hating on buffalo. Everyone thinks their city is so special Everyone thinks they have above avg intelligence. Etc

Tell me, how were the bills so good in the 1990s?

43. I would love to see Mario here in Chicago but if he signs with the Bills I am not going to bash Buffalo or the people that live there.
    I see no reason to make fun of a town that you don’t live in over sports.

Unless it is Green Bay Wisconsin.

44. he Buffalo front office needed an extra day to take him to toronto to show him where they play their OTHER home games…its confusing so they needed more time to explain…meanwhile its sunny and lovely in Jacksonville today…C’mon Mario…come to Jacksonville and help solidify the most dominant front seven in the league.

45. bostonbornandbred says:
    Mar 14, 2012 7:47 PM
    ………….

46. He was stuck on a losing team for the first four years of his career, I hope he sees the direction his home team is headed before signing on with another losing team for the next four( bills, jags, ……)

47. to everyone who keeps mentioning toronto and canada, Canada sucks people. If the Bills were to ever move it would be to LA. Toronto people are the worst.

48. Note to all Buffalo fans:

If you guys land Mario, you are getting a great player, no doubt. You’re also getting a guy who will play injured and a guy that you will never hear a peep from off the field.

I wish we could keep him here in Houston but the fact is, his value in our 3-4 system is not as high as his value in a 4-3, so there are plenty of teams who will offer more than us…not mention, our HC & GM were set to be canned if we didn’t make the playoffs last year so they completely mis-managed the cap for the benefit of 2011.

Regards,
    Tim

p.s. – I was 7 years old in 1992 and I still hate all of you.

49. nfl1818 says:
    Mar 14, 2012 8:30 PM

Tell me, how were the bills so good in the 1990s?
    =====================

No real free agency. Any other questions?

50. realitypolice says: Mar 14, 2012 9:01 PM

No real free agency. Any other questions?

Yes, why does your life suck so bad that you and many other must come on here and say bad things about a beautiful community.

51. realitypolice says:
    No real free agency. Any other questions?

oops forgot. hey just a Pats trying to defend Buffalo – they need a break

52. This guy is an idiot. They were supposed to give Welker a contract 2 years ago? You do understand that he had a major knee injury 2 years ago? you call yourself a boston fan/ You don’t even know your own team. Typical of you guys. Go ahead and crush Belichick who just coached your team to a Super Bowl appearance that it really had no right to be in. i’ll take that coach any day on my team and you can have your overpriced FA’s. p.s. your a tool.

If Im an idiot… Then you must be a moron. Welker had 123 catches in 14 games that year… Don’t you think he would of signed a team friendly extension to have long term security after the injury? Oh and maybe you should study up on your patriots history before you call me out. They did the same bull crap to Logan mankins and Vince wilfork… But I’ll play your little game. Why not do it after 2010 when he had 86 catches?? And yeah your right Belichick did coach them to the Super Bowl… UNFORTUNATELY he had Guys like James Ihedigbo and Sergio brown out on defense getting burnt because he just had to trade our other first round pick to New Orleans like he always does… I don’t know who you root for, but we in Boston don’t puff out our chests just because we made the Super Bowl. Only losers think that way….