Skip to content

Chargers re-sign Jared Gaither to four-year deal

Jared Gaither AP

Michael Gehlken of the Union-Tribune San Diego reports that the Chargers have re-signed tackle Jared Gaither to a four-year contract.

Though possessing a checkered medical and off-field history, Gaither is one of the most impressive young left tackles in pro football. The 6-foot-9, 340-pound lineman is only 26 years old and solidified the position down the stretch in San Diego last season. Gaither was filling in for Marcus McNeill, whom the Chargers released on Tuesday.

Gaither has the potential to be better than McNeill, perhaps much better. He was the No. 5 overall player on PFT’s Hot 100 Free Agency list.

Permalink 10 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, San Diego Chargers, Top Stories
10 Responses to “Chargers re-sign Jared Gaither to four-year deal”
  1. sportsmeccabi says: Mar 14, 2012 12:47 PM

    Todd Haley deserved to get fired for cutting this guy because of a false start penalty.

  2. thatobnoxiousguy says: Mar 14, 2012 12:52 PM

    Good move letting McNeil walk and signing this guy. Meachem was another good, although necessary move.
    Yet, that hardly equals all the bad moves made by A.J. Smith.

  3. gregeer says: Mar 14, 2012 12:58 PM

    Man I wish he was still in Baltimore. Chargers have a keeper.

  4. democratsarestupid says: Mar 14, 2012 1:07 PM

    I do not want this guy at all. He was a head case in college which is why he came out in the supplemental draft. He was cut by Baltimore because he didn’t care and showed up to training camp about 50lbs underweight. This contract hopefully doesn’t have a lot of guarantees. There are reasons why he’s been forced out of college and two pro teams, one being a class organization in Baltimore. He had one good game in his game against Baltimore and that was because they cut him. He is a head case that could care less about winning and trying hard and the tape proves it.

    Hopefully Meachem will be a bright spot

  5. radrntn says: Mar 14, 2012 1:40 PM

    Funny how a guy who could not make the raiders team, and then got cut by the chiefs, is the # 5 guy…….Once your back is shot, it will never be the same again.

  6. mrgroovesd says: Mar 14, 2012 1:43 PM

    Still not impressed of what AJ has done this year.

  7. ralphwilsonsucks says: Mar 14, 2012 1:50 PM

    You always buy LT’s house in Poway.

  8. joetoronto says: Mar 14, 2012 1:51 PM

    This guy started playing well after the Ravens let him go, you have to wonder if he’s been playing for a new contract.

    We’ll see.

  9. jkaflagg says: Mar 14, 2012 7:22 PM

    Remember that pro football saying, “he needs to realize he’s not on scholarship anymore” ? Agree that it will be interesting to see how he responds now that he’s got the big contract…..

  10. lanzurrah says: Mar 14, 2012 7:33 PM

    The dude was exceptional for the Chargers down the stretch last year. There wasn’t a better LT in that same stretch of games.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to leave a comment. Not a member? Register now!