Drew Brees doesn’t sound willing to sign the franchise tender

Wild Card Playoffs - Detroit Lions v New Orleans Saints Getty Images

The Saints have placed the exclusive franchise tag on Drew Brees, which means he’s not allowed to negotiate with any other team, and therefore his only leverage in negotiations is the threat that he simply won’t sign at all. And Brees sounds like he’s ready to use that leverage.

Brees said on Mike and Mike in the Morning that after signing the one-year franchise tender with the Chargers in the 2005 season, only to suffer a serious injury to his throwing shoulder at the end of that season, he’s in no mood to sign the one-year franchise tender again. Instead, Brees wants the Saints to commit to him for the long term.

“I’ve played under the franchise tag before, back in 2005, and that ended with 13 anchors in my right shoulder and a 25 percent chance of playing football again,” Brees said. “That didn’t work out too well for me. I’ve talked to the Saints about this many times. They definitely know my desire to have a long-term deal, and hopefully they want me to have that as well. We will continue discussions and hopefully get a long-term deal done.”

Brees is making the promotional rounds as part of an endorsement deal, but he sounded like he wasn’t particularly thrilled to be talking about his contract — and not particularly thrilled that his contract is still an issue after he and the Saints’ brass had said repeatedly during the season that they fully expected a deal to get done. Brees did, however, express some optimism.

“I’m still hoping that we can get something done sooner than later,” Brees said.

But if they don’t get something done, the Saints better not count on Brees reporting for the one-year franchise tender.

Permalink 51 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
51 Responses to “Drew Brees doesn’t sound willing to sign the franchise tender”
  1. dalfanforever says: Mar 14, 2012 10:04 AM

I wouldn’t be hot to sign it either, given his history with it. He was screwed by the Chargers after he got hurt. I’d sit too. It’s not like he’s hurting for cash.

After all he’s meant to your franchise and the city and the SB trophy he brought you, pay the man his money!

2. skoobyfl says: Mar 14, 2012 10:05 AM

Come to Buffalo Drew, we have plenty of cap space not that our 2 signings both hit the road.

3. cmstrick says: Mar 14, 2012 10:06 AM

How can the team NOT be willing to give him a long-term deal? The fans love him. His teammates love him. He’s a top five QB in his prime.

4. billinva says: Mar 14, 2012 10:06 AM

I understand his point, but that jerk AJ Smith doesn’t work for the Saints.

5. dryzzt23 says: Mar 14, 2012 10:06 AM

The Saints should trade Brees to Cleveland for 2 1st rd picks and then sign Peyton Manning.

6. cardsfann1 says: Mar 14, 2012 10:07 AM

He better sign it or a bounty might get sent out for him too!!!

7. skippynj says: Mar 14, 2012 10:08 AM

Don’t blame him one bit. Get it done Loomis.

8. westampa says: Mar 14, 2012 10:08 AM

Brees to Jets!!! Yeah yeah, I know they resigned Sanchez, but NYJ wants Sanchez as their QB like the Republican party wants Romney.

9. gmsalpha says: Mar 14, 2012 10:09 AM

I don’t see how the Saints can come out of this looking good, even with Bree’s being the holdout bad guy.

Give the man a contract!

10. chuckyd317 says: Mar 14, 2012 10:09 AM

Funny how excited Brees was for Colston to stay on a team that he, himself doesn’t even want to play for…

11. djstat says: Mar 14, 2012 10:11 AM

No sympathy about only being offered a one year, $16.4 million contract. Keep in mind he is now an 11 year vet on the wrong side of 30.

12. terraj35 says: Mar 14, 2012 10:12 AM

No team is having a worse offseason than the Saints. The tides are turning in the NFC South. Bucs are on the rise

13. sepl12 says: Mar 14, 2012 10:12 AM

Brees has all the leverage here. How many tickets will the saints sell with chase daniels at qb, let alone games win. Add the fact that everyone can sympathize with him already getting hurt while playing under the tag, and you have a saints team that needs to just fold and give the man their checkbook.

14. mvp43 says: Mar 14, 2012 10:13 AM

Playing under the the franchise tag has absolutely nothing to do with getting injured. And to say that he was unaware of any bounty system is a insult to my intelligence.

Get real Drew, you’re the face of the franchise and close friend of Sean Payton and you’re telling me that you’re unaware that this bounty system existed……please

15. ebeg420 says: Mar 14, 2012 10:14 AM

What happens if he doesn’t sign the tender?
    Can he sit out all year and become a Free Agent?

16. rasalghoul says: Mar 14, 2012 10:16 AM

You have to feel bad for the Saint’s fans. Team is being pillaged by the rest of the league, Brees is not happy and the bounty scandal punishment is still looming large. Starting to look like an “every man for himself” situation there. Hopefully things turn around fast.

17. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Mar 14, 2012 10:17 AM

If I were Brees, I would do whatever I could to get off that sinking ship.

18. sg419 says: Mar 14, 2012 10:17 AM

If they sign Brees for the money Condon wants, it will be Drew and 10 guys from the car wash.

19. JC says: Mar 14, 2012 10:18 AM

This guy is trying to use a fluke injury to explain his complete lack of class? What a clown, sign the deal and continue to work out a long term agreement. I’m sorry that 20 million under the tag isn’t good enough for the humble Drew Brees.

20. squared80 says: Mar 14, 2012 10:19 AM

You went from the NFL laughing stock and almost moving out of N.O. to winning a freaking Super Bowl and being a top 5 team every single year. And the only reason? Drew Brees. Pay the man for crying out loud.

21. hillbillyjim says: Mar 14, 2012 10:20 AM

Seriously, as a union rep he agreed to to the CBA that included the franchise tag. If he doesn’t like it he should play another sport if he doesn’t agree with it. My family can survive on one 15 million dollar payment for a little while. Stop being a baby and respect the fact that you’re getting paid a truckload for playing game. He’s subjected to the same rules as every other player in the NFL.

22. sj39 says: Mar 14, 2012 10:21 AM

It’s a two way street. What if the Saints sign him to a mega deal and he ends up with 13 more anchors in his shoulder and never plays another down? I still think he deserves it and they should sign him but I believe the Saints day in the sun has come and gone and they will be back to lovable losers soon.

23. nflsucker says: Mar 14, 2012 10:22 AM

He’s willing to stay and play on a sinking ship, but only for the right price. Can’t blame him one bit, and the Saints organization has lost any hint of credibility for now.

24. tundey says: Mar 14, 2012 10:23 AM

Not a Saints fan but why are they letting this linger? If they intend on signing him *after* they finish shopping for other FAs, why not tell him and stop creating bad press for yourselves? Remember, Goodell is still coming down with the hammer. With Brees’ experience playing under the franchise tag, I wouldn’t sign if I were him.

25. jmig320 says: Mar 14, 2012 10:23 AM

Pay the man. He just broke marino’s single season yards record. It’s not as though he’s shown signs of slowing down, especially playing indoors for all home games.

Perhaps just give him a shorter deal with greater guaranteed cash & higher yearly average if there’s concern about his long-term health….say, 4 years instead of 5 or 6.

26. CKL says: Mar 14, 2012 10:25 AM

According to what’s been reported, he turned down Brady like money, 18 mill/yr. He wants 23/mill.yr like PM’s deal last year averaged. Granted we DON’T know the details but that doesn’t seem even CLOSE to unfair to me.

27. truthfactory says: Mar 14, 2012 10:27 AM

So he’s basically saying he doesnt want to sign it so that he can screw them over if he gets hurt. These guys want $50 million guarantees and happily screw their teams out of tens of millions of dollars by taking these huge guarantees knowing that the team could get ZERO production out of them if/ when they get injured.

Newsflash…. The rest of the world only gets paid when our production matches our salaries. When our salaries dont match our production, we get fired as well. I dont understand why football players think that when their production drops off or they get injured, they should still continue to get their ridiculous salaries.

I know they get injured playing the game, but thats part of the reason the salaries are so high. Make your money while you are productive and healthy, and stop expecting teams to continue to pay you when you are unable to perform for them.

28. CKL says: Mar 14, 2012 10:28 AM

Also Drew Brees or ANY one player is not “THE” reason for any team’s success. I get so sick of hearing fanboi talk like that. It’s a team game. If you want to say the combo of Payton and Brees are the major reasonS the NO OFFENSE is good, I’d buy that.

29. dvdman123 says: Mar 14, 2012 10:30 AM

He doesn’t have any bargaining power…………..he will sign it. What a waste of space.

30. thraiderskin says: Mar 14, 2012 10:30 AM

Quite honestly, with his resume, he deserves to be paid as a top 3 QB, if not number one at this time. I really think this is beginning to look like the Saints are trying to blow it.

31. bahshah27 says: Mar 14, 2012 10:34 AM

New Orleans will riot if he dosent play all year.

32. wldkat says: Mar 14, 2012 10:36 AM

The Saints Defense needs to hand over some of that Bounty $$$ to Brees. It’s not like anyone on the defense deserved it last year anyways.

33. randygnyc says: Mar 14, 2012 10:38 AM

Damage is already done. Remember, Brees is just good, not great. IF, Drew ever plays another down dor the Saints, it will be just to get through the season, without his intensity. Mark my words, this situation is unfixable. They’ve already embarrassed Drew. (look what the Jets were forced to do to baby Sanchez back into the spirit, and everyone knows he’s worthless with no reason to have an ego). Who Dat? It ain’t Brees.

34. xxwhodatxx says: Mar 14, 2012 10:39 AM

Now that Nicks is gone Brees contract should be around the corner.

35. patfic15 says: Mar 14, 2012 11:12 AM

Sign and trade. Get picks for the defense. Bring in Manning ir Flynn. Sounds extreme…I know but we have more guys to pay.

36. mullman7675 says: Mar 14, 2012 11:19 AM

It’s falling apart at the seams in New Orleans. Brees helped revive a struggling franchise when they needed it most, and this is how he is treated. Loomis, Benson and the whole lot should be ashamed. Pay the man- the franchise tag is an insult at this point in his career. Saints are blowing it.

37. clayton43 says: Mar 14, 2012 11:26 AM

Feel bad for Saints fans… ( as annoying as thier WHo Dat chant is ) ….Love how Brees is saying .. Well I dont want to sign for 16 million in case I get hurt and cant play…. I want the Saints to pay me a alot more for my services if I cant play !! lol lol It is one of those ” I need to put food on the table for my family” type of sayings. It isnt like the Saints didnt already offer him a long term contract for 18 million a year already.. he wants more so for all fans saying ” Pay the Man”… the Saints offered to pay him 18 million a year already. They are having/had to let go of some other players already because they are going to have to Pay the Man…

38. cuda1234 says: Mar 14, 2012 11:27 AM

Isn’t Peyton Manning from New Orleans? Didn’this dad play for the Saints? I bet he wouldn’t mind running THAT offense with all those weapons!

Maybe Drew would be happier in Cleveland…..

39. conseannery says: Mar 14, 2012 11:28 AM

Used to like Brees. Lately – not so much:

1. One of the most vociferous pro-NFLPA union mouthpieces during last year’s labor strife

2. Breaking Marino’s record when up by 100 in that Falcons game was classless. Call me old fashioned, but records should be broken through the natural course of the game, not by padding stats after the outcome is no longer in doubt.

3. “I did not participate in any bounty program, nor did I have any knowledge relating to its real existence.” Please.

4. This contract nonsense.

40. paydrew says: Mar 14, 2012 11:36 AM

Long time saint fan hopefully they are just waiting to sign few others then just give drew the rest if they don’t pay the man I’m done with n.o and i still have bag from old days and have stuck with them thru many bad seasons but if they let drew go I’m done hopefuly petting comes to miami

41. edavidberg says: Mar 14, 2012 11:53 AM

I’d agree with him except for the fact that his contract demands are ridiculous. He shouldn’t be getting a bunch more dough than Brady.

42. granadafan says: Mar 14, 2012 11:57 AM

conseannery says: Mar 14, 2012 11:28 AM
    Used to like Brees. Lately – not so much:

4. This contract nonsense.
    ===============================================
    Your hatred is clouding your judgement.
    1. Brees stood up for his fellow players in the Lockout. The player’s stance would be dead in the water without the star players standing up for those in less fortunate situations. That is a GOOD thing, not a bad thing. If you’re simply anti-union for some irrational reason, then there’s no point in debating with you.

2. He broke the record over the season and not in a meaningless game. The whole team was helping and pushing for him to break the record.

3. I’ll give you bountygate. Everyone on the team knew. To deny it is just insulting our intelligence.

4. Brees is a free agent and one of the top 3 QBs in the league. He deserves to be paid just like any other player. Why are you so against Brees being dissatisfied wth the insulting offer after all he’s done for the city and team?

PS, I’m not a Saints fan at all.

43. bucwild05 says: Mar 14, 2012 12:20 PM

He will be traded.

44. turbodog1027 says: Mar 14, 2012 12:21 PM

Saints offered Brees 30 million guaranteed and 18 million a year. He turned it down. I guess that sounds like alot of money to most people but not Drew. Time for Brees to come down from his throne and sign that offer. That offer is more than fair

45. touchdownroddywhite says: Mar 14, 2012 12:25 PM

@granadafan –

“4. Brees is a free agent and one of the top 3 QBs in the league. He deserves to be paid just like any other player. ”
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

18 million a year is now top 3 QB money if you look at what the top 3 QB’s currently make…

46. saintsly says: Mar 14, 2012 1:05 PM

WWL Radio in New Orleans reported that Drew Brees has stated he will sit out the 2012 season if a long term deal is not struck soon.
    The audacity of this fool to extort money from the Saints for his services is sickening and I say cut him or trade him and persue Matt Flynn as the new King of the throne. No drop off in productin with Flynn and and a better defence with Brees money. If they” pay the man”, it will be Brees and ten guys from the local construction company competeing in 2012. Then he will recieve a career ending injury and him and his truck load of money will be gone.

47. Loose Changeup says: Mar 14, 2012 2:24 PM

Saints are focused on building a team around Brees right now. Once the dust settles, they’ll know where they’re at and can resume negotiations.

They had better sign a good guard like Grubbs though, or it’ll all be for naught.

48. WestCoastVet says: Mar 14, 2012 4:30 PM

Still hoping the NFL strips the NO of their franchise tag so Brees goes to the market.

49. prettywoman1952 says: Mar 14, 2012 6:09 PM

Hey Saints give Brees what he wants you know he is a great Quarterback and you need him.

50. lightninglucci says: Mar 14, 2012 7:50 PM

Brees should understand this factoid:

Assuming a team spends most of its salary cap allotment, and I grant that is one grand team-by-team assumption, then any money you are asking for is not coming from ownership, but rather your teammates ‘ pockets.

Sometimes I think a player should come out and say, “Fine, I’ll take a little less, but if the team doesn’t finish within…say…$3 million of the cap by seasons’ end, then I get the difference.”

51. bobcat2u says: Mar 15, 2012 7:29 PM

Yes, Drew Brees is a great QB, but why does he have to act like a prima donna now ? He has always said it wasn’t about him, it’s about the team. Well his actions speak otherwise now.