Free agent guard Mathis to visit the Ravens tonight

Philadelphia Eagles 2011 Headshots Getty Images

Adam Caplan of TheSidelineView.com reports that the Ravens will host guard Evan Mathis for a free agent visit on Wednesday night.

Mathis spent last season in Philadelphia, starting 15 games at left guard. Baltimore is looking to bolster that same position with Ben Grubbs drawing interest in free agency.

Mathis is 30 years old, but has only 37 starts worth of wear on his tires.

He’s a top-25 player on the PFT Hot 100, just one spot behind the younger Grubbs.

Permalink 23 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Home, Rumor Mill
23 Responses to “Free agent guard Mathis to visit the Ravens tonight”
  1. alaricsrevenge says: Mar 14, 2012 4:46 PM

Eagles need to resign this guy now that the DJax deal is done. He was a solid part of our OLine last year and we need that continuity on the field.

2. laeaglefan says: Mar 14, 2012 4:56 PM

I don’t know what the Eagles are thinking on this one but if they don’t wake up they’re going to lose Mathis.
    Its not like they really have any viable replacement waiting in the wings. Maybe they’re letting Mathis establish his value by getting other offers and then they’ll decide if they want to match.

3. asw1028 says: Mar 14, 2012 4:58 PM

I cant believe the Eagles might let go of him…Ive heard that Mudd prefers more athletic lineman, who can be found later in the draft, but Mathis is a really solid player and you cant discount the value of continuity (look at the Giants’ offensive line from the past 4-5 seasons).

4. Deb says: Mar 14, 2012 5:00 PM

Oh how I wish the Steelers would host some offensive linemen … sigh. I have all the respect in the world for Colber, but I love Ozzie.

5. gonzo7 says: Mar 14, 2012 5:07 PM

Eagles need to keep him. Perfect fit for their system.

6. lilrob10201 says: Mar 14, 2012 5:08 PM

Eagles need to resign him.He fit really well in Mudd’s scheme.

7. steelsuck says: Mar 14, 2012 5:08 PM

Once in the castle, it’s usually a done deal. I would prefer Grubbs return but will settle for Mathis. Get it done Oz!

8. polo550 says: Mar 14, 2012 5:09 PM

Don’t know much about this guy but would rather have Grubbs back. On the other hand, if he can do the same job as Grubbs or better at a cheaper salary I’m down for it.

9. ICDogg says: Mar 14, 2012 5:16 PM

Makes no sense for the Ravens. They don’t have the same type of scheme as the Eagles employed last year which enabled Mathis to thrive.

10. 33rdasylum says: Mar 14, 2012 5:29 PM

Deb says:
    Mar 14, 2012 5:00 PM

Very similar philosophies. Can’t argue with the results in either case. I’d have to give Oz the edge in creativity, though.

11. clayton43 says: Mar 14, 2012 5:37 PM

Ravens cant afford Grubbs because of their salary cap situation, I like Mathis but at how much cheaper would he be and is hard to replacce Grubbs on the OL with a 30 year old with some injury probs and benifitted from Vick being able to scramble around… Please Baltimore … sign him !!!

12. rocketcrab says: Mar 14, 2012 5:55 PM

ICDogg says:
    Mar 14, 2012 5:16 PM

_________________________________

I’m afraid I don’t get what you mean – isn’t a bloack a block? I’m being serious, not trying to be a smarta##.

13. vikingdt2 says: Mar 14, 2012 5:56 PM

He doesn’t look big enough for our ravens but he’s only a rank under grubbs so lets look into this

14. soia311 says: Mar 14, 2012 6:12 PM

The only way Philadelphia could get away with losing Mathis is if they sign Grubbs.

15. how887 says: Mar 14, 2012 6:12 PM

He needs the Eagles more than we need him. If he’s not a country bumpkin he will sign with the Eagles.

16. ravenator says: Mar 14, 2012 6:19 PM

Oz > Colbert

That should be enough said but I digress.

Colbert even admitted to leveraging the future of the team and “using the credit card” as he’s done in the past. Well Colbert, you must be betting those TV contracts are gonna be HUGE!!! because you quite literally handcuffed the next five years for this one upcoming season. We’ll see if it pays off but I’m willing to bet you’ll take a hit when that dead money comes into play.

17. mdpickles says: Mar 14, 2012 6:22 PM

rocketcrab says: Mar 14, 2012 5:55 PM

______________________

—————————————-
    ^^Hi there football newbie. The Eagles offensive philosophy revolves around misdirection, pulling guards, getting out on RB and WR screens. Big Ben Grubbs and the Ravens prefer a more direct blocking scheme, blocking down on a DT, then moving forward to a LB, not much side to side or pulling movement.

18. bikeman99 says: Mar 14, 2012 6:25 PM

Colbert would need about 10 million in cap room to bring in lineman

Haven’t you been paying attention?

BTW Ozzie hasn’t any Super Bowls

19. willbrownimaging says: Mar 14, 2012 6:37 PM

bikema99: BTW Ozzie hasn’t any Super Bowls

Baltimore won the Super Bowl in 2000.

A team Ozzie Newsome put together.

20. Deb says: Mar 14, 2012 6:54 PM

@bikeman99 …

Yes, I’ve been paying attention, but I can dream, can’t I? We’ve needed help on that o-line for years.

Ozzie has a Super Bowl, and Colbert has two. I’m a diehard Steelers fan and thrilled with the job Colbert has done. However, we’ve had some other great talents in that position through the years (like Dick Haley, who got us four Super Bowls). As for Ozzie … I’m a Bama fan. He may work for the enemy, but Ozzie is family :)

21. bikeman99 says: Mar 15, 2012 6:23 AM

bikema99: BTW Ozzie hasn’t any Super Bowls

Baltimore won the Super Bowl in 2000.

A team Ozzie Newsome put together.

—————————————–

Ozzie wasn’t GM in 2000, not til 2002

22. rocketcrab says: Mar 15, 2012 7:33 AM

—————————————-

______________________________

Thanks. And by the way, I’m not a football “newbie”.

23. democratsarestupid says: Mar 15, 2012 11:53 AM

bikeman99 says:
    Mar 15, 2012 6:23 AM
    bikema99: BTW Ozzie hasn’t any Super Bowls

—————————————–

Ozzie wasn’t GM in 2000, not til 2002

—————–

Ozzie’s title was president of football operations, essentially a GM. He has constructed every team the Ravens have produced since Day 1 starting by drafting future HOFers Ogden and Lewis.

I wish that guy was my GM