Elway says Peyton “threw the ball great”

iQwdv.EYwKiw Getty Images

Broncos V.P. of football operations John Elway made a trip to North Carolina on Friday to watch Peyton Manning throw a football.

Elway, who maintains a Twitter account but has been silent on it about the Peyton chase, has posted a couple of comments.  “We enjoyed visiting with Peyton today in N.C.,” Elway writes.  “He threw the ball great and looked very comfortable out there.”

Apparently, that large-headed voodoo doll the Tebowmaniacs have been mutilating all week has turned out to be fairly resilient.

“Watching him throw today was the next step in this important process for our team and Peyton,” Elway added.  “It was a productive visit and went well.”

But here’s where it all gets even more interesting.  With Elway gushing about how well Peyton threw the ball, the Duke student newspaper claims via Twitter that “Manning did not throw a pass today,” characterizing it as an “[o]dd development.”  (Those kids need to reel in the hyperbole.)

We’re not sure how they know it, and we’ll be keeping an eye on the Chronicle Twitter page for elaboration.  At this point, we’ve got no reason to doubt Elway.

Apart from, you know, an established and lengthy patter of strategically deliberate falsehoods and misdirections by NFL coaches and executives.

Permalink 66 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, San Francisco 49ers, Tennessee Titans, Top Stories
66 Responses to “Elway says Peyton “threw the ball great””
  1. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Mar 16, 2012 5:01 PM

I don’t think Tebowmaniacs are into voodoo.

2. mdpickles says: Mar 16, 2012 5:01 PM

It’s over. Denver it is.

3. cowboyhater says: Mar 16, 2012 5:02 PM

The question is not if he can throw the ball, it’s whether he can take hits throughout the season. I still think his durability is in question.

4. atwatercrushesokoye says: Mar 16, 2012 5:03 PM

I’ll take the word of “the Duke” over the word of some hack student writer from Dook.

5. sariff420 says: Mar 16, 2012 5:03 PM

See the niners …be the niners …

6. WestCoastVet says: Mar 16, 2012 5:04 PM

In other words, Elway didn’t actually meet with Peyton at all. He was just there for some southern cuisine.

7. scottdragosnai says: Mar 16, 2012 5:04 PM

This is going to be a crazy outcome should he sign in Denver.
    Tebow town will have a new name. It’s the only way Elway gets the Tebow craze quelled should he want that.
    Scott Dragos NAI

8. whatnojets says: Mar 16, 2012 5:08 PM

Elway can’t see past his teeths! And you want us to take his “word”?

9. WestCoastVet says: Mar 16, 2012 5:08 PM

Or – “threw the ball great” means he didn’t throw it like Tebow throws it.

10. mrplow3 says: Mar 16, 2012 5:09 PM

I have a bad feeling Manning isn’t going to last a full season on that patched up neck.

I hope my niner don’t touch him with a ten foot pole. Our line stinks, I don’t know why people think we are a good fit for Manning.

Alex Smith’s mobility makes our line look better than it is.

11. annes22 says: Mar 16, 2012 5:09 PM

Good, go and sign him so we don’t have to listen to it anymore. It’s got rather boring, hearing and seeing about it everyday.

12. livxsiv says: Mar 16, 2012 5:09 PM

Manning is one of very few QBs that could come in there and end “Tebow-Mania” without much backlash from the fan base.

If Denver is smart and decides to move Tebow to Jacksonville. It’s not only a great move for all parties involved, but a great move for the NFL, as it’ll boost ticket sales, and viewership in both markets; especially important in Jacksonville, where the market has been stagnant for some time.

That, and Tebow will get to play closer to home, where he already has an enormous fan base.

13. attyken says: Mar 16, 2012 5:10 PM

Peyton is the new Favre!!!

14. suckleague says: Mar 16, 2012 5:10 PM

He should have sent out a smoke screen. “Peyton threw the ball 2 yards then started crying. Titans shouldn’t waste their time working him out”

15. underrated49ers says: Mar 16, 2012 5:13 PM

It always seems to be the teams no one is talking about that reel in the big fish. Anyone predict Asogmugha to the Eagles last year?
    I wouldn’t be surprised if the 9ers pulled this one off. But maybe I’m biased.

16. jade amor says: Mar 16, 2012 5:16 PM

Peyton threw the ball great….and then my alarm clock woke me up…

17. jimmysee says: Mar 16, 2012 5:16 PM

This might truly be the *only* way the Broncos can escape from Tebow-mania.

But they better have a qualified #2 in place.

Peyton is, you know, fragile.

18. milehigh85 says: Mar 16, 2012 5:17 PM

Oh, Lord…. Peyton just pick a team already before my friggin head explodes!!

19. deadeye says: Mar 16, 2012 5:18 PM

Elway says Peyton “threw the ball great”

========================

and then added, “almost as good as I used to”.

20. greengob1in says: Mar 16, 2012 5:18 PM

“The question is not if he can throw the ball”

Actually, that’s exactly what the question has been for the past year.

21. cliffordc05 says: Mar 16, 2012 5:20 PM

I find it hard to believe that Bronco executives flew by private jet halfway across the country and Peyton didn’t throw.

22. trubroncfan07 says: Mar 16, 2012 5:22 PM

All the 49er fans saying he is going to SF sound just like the Cards,Dolphins, and Jets fans did a couple of weeks ago. He is coming to Denver.

23. thefiesty1 says: Mar 16, 2012 5:22 PM

Even at 50% healthy Manning is 100% better than Tebow. But I’d rather see him with the Titans to beat the Colts senseless twice a year and Houston wouldn’t make the playoffs again until he retires.

24. mark0226 says: Mar 16, 2012 5:24 PM

Clearly if Elway DID see Manning throw, that would go against PFT’s 100 previous articles about why Peyton hasn’t thrown for any clubs yet, so Elway must be lying.

25. georgebrett says: Mar 16, 2012 5:26 PM

One of the reasons he’s been so durable is because of his ability to get rid of the ball and not take sacks. I’d bet if you checked the stats, he’s probably the least sacked qb that doesn’t run well.

26. djflav303 says: Mar 16, 2012 5:26 PM

Mike klis said on the radio that if he didn’t come back on that plane it didn’t look good for Denver

27. WestCoastVet says: Mar 16, 2012 5:26 PM

“Alex Smith’s mobility makes our line look better than it is.”

Usually his “mobility” goes in the wrong direction via him being sacked because he hangs onto the ball too long.

28. babyhorsemorgan says: Mar 16, 2012 5:28 PM

According to John, Manning “threw the ball like freaking Elway out there today!”.

29. cletusvandam says: Mar 16, 2012 5:29 PM

@mrplow3 The Colts Oline has been really bad for years, Manning never got touched. The Niners line would be fine

30. tybrew says: Mar 16, 2012 5:29 PM

Elway also said baby Jesus was his QB….lie lie….knows noodle can’t throw…will have to apologize for crapping on Tim..If Manning could throw up to par his agent would have it on every sports news in the world……NEXT.

31. dolfanatik says: Mar 16, 2012 5:30 PM

Peyton to broncos, tebow to jax. Gabbert to KC

32. jg725 says: Mar 16, 2012 5:31 PM

Why all the hating on peyton manning? i don’t get it – i am not a peton fan at all – but if low-life felons like vick, burres, and outright dirtbags like moss can have a free agent circus – why can’t peyton? the guy has never done anything but be a complete pro in his career.
    I would much rather have my kids watch how he handles himself thea a lot of others in the nfl – really a sad testament to how our society judges people

33. maxvain says: Mar 16, 2012 5:32 PM

Can one of these team sign Manning already! yes and since my team won’t be signing him… you should pay the man 5y/90m, I recommend it!

34. bozosforall says: Mar 16, 2012 5:35 PM

atwatercrushesokoye says:
    Mar 16, 2012 5:03 PM
    __

Not to mention this:

Schefter, who broke the 49ers news on SportsCenter early Friday afternoon, reported that San Francisco secretly sent club officials to watch Manning throw at Duke University on Tuesday night. The 49ers’ representatives were said to be “very impressed with what they saw.”

35. firethorn1001 says: Mar 16, 2012 5:40 PM

Odd that the one Duke person not interested in basketball happened to be around.

36. skinsfantom says: Mar 16, 2012 5:43 PM

my money is on denver, then if they do win it all, Bowlan can say, “this ones for ARCHIE”

37. webothlose says: Mar 16, 2012 5:44 PM

Can someone please give me a football reason why Tim Tebow would be attractive to JAX?

38. iplaybad says: Mar 16, 2012 5:44 PM

Peyton worked out for the Broncos. He looked good. They left on good terms. He’s going to work out for the Titans. Then, the bidding war will ensue. Everyone’s already upped the ante for what they’ll pay him. Thankfully, the salary cap and needing to fill other team needs will bring some reality to the situation. Peyton will then pick the team who makes the most sense for him and it’ll be over.

I’m a major Broncos fan and want Peyton Manning to be our QB. We’re living in his world right now. Other teams have fallen by the wayside. If you don’t want Manning or can’t afford his services, that is okay. At least three teams do want his services. Two of those teams won at least one playoff game last year. The other was one game out of being a WC team.

Given that the NFL is a multi-billion dollar industry, signing Peyton and giving your franchise a legitimate shot to make the Super Bowl is a big deal. He’ll take his sweet time and we get to enjoy the conversations about it. If you don’t enjoy those talks, just don’t click the article!

39. stonedwhitetrash says: Mar 16, 2012 5:45 PM

I think that Peyton Manning prays to the same God that Tebow does but he prefers to do as Jesus suggested in private instead of in public to be seen by men

40. blaz0037 says: Mar 16, 2012 5:47 PM

basing your article off of TWITTER COMMENTS. lol.

41. gmsalpha says: Mar 16, 2012 5:50 PM

He only threw the ball 10 yards, but he threw it well.

42. slickmarine says: Mar 16, 2012 6:05 PM

I’ve no time for either of these guys. I used to think Elway was great, but I understand now that he’s a lying POS. As far as Manning goes, its just a matter of being burned out by all this FA stuff. I mean, the guy is 36 years old! Sure, he is one of the greatest ever (and is one of the few athletes I enjoy in a commercial!), but he ain’t what he used to be and never will be again. For those of you that say a 50% Peyton is better than the other QBs, I say “No”. No, he’s not. The difference between the good ones and a great one – in any sport – is very slight. Too much hype and toooo many articles; I’m done with these guys.

43. 69finfan says: Mar 16, 2012 6:06 PM

What’s he going to say? Even if Peyton sucked throwing the ball Elway is going to say it was good. The proof will be when the Broncos make their final contract offer, how good they thought he threw.

44. sunlion333 says: Mar 16, 2012 6:21 PM

@westcoastvet: What’s so Southern about “North” Carolina?

45. rally411 says: Mar 16, 2012 6:26 PM

DEN would be the easy road, weak division, weaker conference, etc.

OR he can,

play his brother in the regular season and go up against:
    Brees
    Brady
    Rogers

in the same season.

An opportunity to go to a Championship ready team and shut those up that said his career was over and smack his lil brother around.

DEN is the nice girl you bring home to meet mom.

SF is the hot chick.

If you ever had a hot chick, ya know what I mean.

46. bozosforall says: Mar 16, 2012 6:29 PM

slickmarine says:
    Mar 16, 2012 6:05 PM
    __
    Elway a lying POS? And you have what proof?

Crawl back under your little rock, idiot.

47. bozosforall says: Mar 16, 2012 6:31 PM

slickmarine says:
    Mar 16, 2012 6:05 PM
    __
    I guess these guys are “liars” too?

Try reading all of the information before running your mouth, suckmoron.

48. alaricsrevenge says: Mar 16, 2012 6:37 PM

What they forgot to mention was they were at the Dook Lacrosse teams frat house playing beer pong. The Big P tosses the cups good..lol

49. atrophiedambitions says: Mar 16, 2012 6:44 PM

No more than 2 days after they sign Manning, they ship Tebow to Miami.

50. peytonsneck18 says: Mar 16, 2012 6:56 PM

if he threw it so great then just sign him and get this crazy peyton circus over with then, oh yeah…he wants 30 mill the forst two years, peyton is playing “maurys guess with 5 baby mommas” hes flirting with all of you, but he cant commit to one team yet!!!

51. slickmarine says: Mar 16, 2012 6:57 PM

You want proof? Elway said that Tebow would be the starter going into Training Camp. Before you start flapping your jaw about how he’s free to change his mind, I’ll tell YOU that Elway could have said that at the time. But he didn’t. He’s not just a hard-shell executive (I’m fine with that); he’s a liar.

Or maybe you think I’m saying Elway lies about Manning’s throwing session…. idiot.

52. maddau11 says: Mar 16, 2012 7:05 PM

manning would probably think it’s a little weird to hear elway saying he threw when he didn’t. what a great article.

53. mullman7675 says: Mar 16, 2012 7:29 PM

thankheavenfornumberseven says:
    Mar 16, 2012 5:01 PM
    I don’t think Tebowmaniacs are into voodoo.
    ——————————————————————————-
    Voodoo, sorcery, christianity, mormonism, catholocism….
    Any way you slice it, you are counting on a higher power, for whatever reason. Call it what you like, but it’s all the same.

54. Philadelphia says: Mar 16, 2012 7:36 PM

In other news, SF hires Joe Montana as an “honorary captain”

55. emmac13 says: Mar 16, 2012 7:56 PM

Which past fall of fame QB would you want to play for? Elway or Harbaugh? Okay I am half right Elway.

56. primemundo says: Mar 16, 2012 8:21 PM

Hate the Broncos!

57. mjkelly77 says: Mar 16, 2012 8:21 PM

”He threw the ball great and looked very comfortable out there.”
    ______________________

I’d hardly consider that remark as “gushing”. And as far as voodoo goes, that wouldn’t be a Christian Tebow thing. That’s more manning, more of a Louisiana Swamp Boy thing.

Caveat emptor.

58. jouvernile says: Mar 16, 2012 8:33 PM

This drag the media along, with the dog n pony show is getting old now, I’m starting to dislike Manning.

59. vikingsinla says: Mar 16, 2012 8:47 PM

Coming from someone who considers Tebow a viable NFL QB, I question his ability to reason.

60. johnnythek1 says: Mar 16, 2012 8:57 PM

It’s the Horse Face and Billboard Head Show!

61. maddenisfordorks says: Mar 16, 2012 8:58 PM

Denver would have to ship a few draft picks to Jax for them to accept Tebow

62. 49erlifer says: Mar 16, 2012 9:24 PM

trubroncfan07 says:Mar 16, 2012 5:22 PM

Ya cause the broncos have such a great team if he has any will to win he will be a niner if he goes to denver he will have no weapons on offense and a suspect defense at best! personally if i were him i would rather be in tennessee than denver at least you got cj

63. bigjdve says: Mar 16, 2012 9:55 PM

We keep hearing from teams that he is throwing well and looking good on the field. One has to think that Irsay will have more mud on his face after saying if Peyton could throw he would keep him.

64. aussie61 says: Mar 16, 2012 10:03 PM

John Elway bluffed a lot of people on the field (asking any defender that played against him !) and now he’s trying to do the same off the field.If Manning threw the ball so great then a) why would you tell everyone? and b) why haven’t Denver made him an offer too good to refuse?

65. buckeyeron says: Mar 16, 2012 10:11 PM

If the rumours are true that Peyton is willing to structure his contract to protect the team in case he gets injured, why aren’t the Colts jumping back into the chase? After all, apparently their biggest concern with keeping him was the risk of losing out further if his injury kept him from playing. It sounds like the contract terms are still in the ballpark of what they were willing to pay him.

66. txnative61 says: Mar 17, 2012 3:33 AM

The 49er’s are the better all around team, so a personal conversation with HOF’er Elway about where the Broncos are headed could help sway Manning to pick them. As with Smith, Tebow should feel honored to hold his clipboard, and stay ready. Not sure Tebow’s capable of the Christian humility to admit he could learn a lot from Manning.