Sanchez rips “gutless” anonymous Jets

Getty Images

After the Jets melted down at the end of the season, several stories published anonymous quotes from players inside the locker room, ripping Sanchez. Now Sanchez is ripping them back.

It is a gutless thing to do,” Sanchez said on the Michael Kay Show on ESPN 1050 in New York. “If you don’t put your name on what you’re saying then you don’t speak for yourself, you don’t speak for the team. That’s how I’ve always felt about that. If I ever had an opinion on a player, something I wanted to talk to them about, I would just tell them.”

Although Sanchez doesn’t sound happy about the unnamed teammates who ripped him, he insisted that it hasn’t bothered him at all, that the only time he thinks about it is when reporters ask him about it, and that he isn’t making any attempt to find out who the players behind the anonymous quotes were.

“No, I don’t care,” Sanchez said. “I heard about it, I moved on. No big deal.”

It was certainly a big deal in the media, but if Sanchez is telling the truth when he says it was no big deal to him, that’s a good sign that he’s becoming the mature leader that the Jets need him to be.

64 responses to “Sanchez rips “gutless” anonymous Jets

1. If you didn’t care you wouldn’t explain how you feel about the anonymous quotes.

Sanchez is as bad as the girl who projects the image of confidence then fishes for compliments to build her self esteem on Facebook.

2. “No, I don’t care,” Sanchez said. “I heard about it, I moved on. No big deal.”

The why are you still whining about it?

Honest to God, this guy is clueless. About football, about leadership, about LIFE.

Rex has GOT to know he’ll never win it all with this mediocre, 17 year old dating, wannabe a leader, idiot.

3. The mature thing would have been to say “That’s in the past, we’ve all moved on, next question.” Instead, he calls attention to and stirs up old problems. Mark Sanchez will never “get it,” and that’s why it’s time for the Jets to move on.

4. Why is it funny to see the Jets locker room in shambles?

Is it just me?

And I don’t even hate them….I like them more than N.E.

5. Yes! Finally a glimpse of leadership out of Sanchez.

It’s easy to say the right things on ESPN. Hopefully Mark will be able to show a glimpse of leadership where it really counts… On the field, starting August.

6. It won’t be a problem until Sanchez under-performs again. Leadership in the off season has never been Sanchez’ problem.

7. Hate the jets but didn’t this guy go to two afc championship games and throw for 3,600 yards last year. He needs to improve but he’s a lot better than people make him out to be

8. Who in the Jets PR department thinks Sanchez giving an interview is a good idea? That’s three articles in two days. Granted two were from the same interview but than that is still two too many for him.

9. How is Sanchez whining or bringing it up? He was asked a question on a radio show and answered it. I think Sanchez sucks and I despise the Jets. However, I’ll give credit where credit is due and Sanchez is 100% right about this.

10. 69finfan says:
    Mar 16, 2012 10:53 AM
    If MS truly doesn’t care and has moved on then he wouldn’t be bringing it up now, almost 3 months later.

__
    He didn’t bring it up…he was asked about it.

“the only time he thinks about it is when reporters ask him about it”…try reading the article next time.

11. pats54 says:
    Mar 16, 2012 10:52 AM

__
    Sounds like the typical New England sports fan.

12. LaDainian Tomlinson wasn’t anonymous when he bashed the Jets locker room and agreed Sanchez had been coddled. Neither was Santonio Holmes anonymous when he let his feelings be known (even though he’s right up there in the maturity dept. too).

Good thing Rex Ryan gave Mark the “leader” name-tag, so everyone knows who’s boss now.

13. “It is a gutless thing to do” rant=the guy(s) who did it aren’t on the team anymore. Santurdio probably got in his face and told him he thought he sucked.

14. You guys are really rather pathetic. He gets interviewed. He answers the question. He isn’t repeatedly coming out and saying “those guys are gutless children” on his own accords. Yall need to be less idiotic, by a lot. I’d take Sanchez over about 31 other starting QBs in the league. I’m glad to have him and I don’t want anyone else. Dude wins a lot of games and he plays ballzier than any other QB I’ve seen. You can’t get any more character than what Mark Sanchez has. And that’s the truth.

15. It’s funny how people imagine the Jets are having Press Conferences with nobody asking questions.

Sanchez doesn’t set the agenda here, the reporters do.

16. bozosforall says: Mar 16, 2012 11:12 AM

69finfan says:
    Mar 16, 2012 10:53 AM

__
    He didn’t bring it up…he was asked about it.

_____________________________
    Yes, he was asked the question. That doesn’t mean that he has to answer it, however. How many times have you seen a player, coach, etc speak around a question or give a non-answer and then ask for the next question? While some get tired of the “standard cliche” answer or non-answer, it’s the professional thing to do because it shuts down any chance to needlessly cause a stir. Oh, and if you really believe that he gave the answer that he did, and that he only thinks about it when reporters ask him about it, you’re fooling yourself. You don’t spout off like that unless something is really bothering you.

17. Sounds like ol’ Rex has lost control of his team. Then on the other hand you can’t lose something you never had.

18. Mar 16, 2012 11:13 AM
    pats54 says:
    Mar 16, 2012 10:52 AM

__
    Sounds like the typical New England sports fan.
    _____
    and you sound like the typical PFT troll…

19. Wow, just look at the pleasant locker room Rex Ryan has cultivated here. He really is the ultimate players coach.

20. bozosforall says:Mar 16, 2012 11:12 AM

69finfan says:
    Mar 16, 2012 10:53 AM

__
    He didn’t bring it up…he was asked about it.

HUH?????…Bozo, w/o a doubt the biggest clown out here…ASKING SOMEONE TO READ???

Sanchez isn’t an NFL QB, he isn’t.

But, he is a jets QB…too bad that isn’t the NFL.

HAPPY 44TH ANNIVERSARY jet fans. Coming up on your time, April, to win another Super bowl

21. I see some things never change. Two more comments I wrote were just deleted by PFT. Yet they keep some of the same stale jokes and comments by people who didn’t even read the article. “god d@amned snack”…really???

The poster that commented Sanchez should have just answered “no comment. next question”: nice in-depth analysis of the psyche of a person being troubled by something vs. not being troubled (*sarcasm*), but if Sanchez said “I have no comment” you would be adding your self-help book psychology lesson to the bottom of an article wondering what Sanchez is trying to hide by answering “no comment”.

22. They only ripped on him because they weren’t sure who the leader of the team was, but now since hetold everyone he is in lou of his enourmous new contract, the name calling should stop.

23. @ 69finfan did you even listen to the interview? At no point was Sanchez “spouting off” or did he even sound upset. he’s consistently said that if a guy is too scared to put his name to quote, then he doesn’t speak for himself, or the team.

I’m sure you’ll be happy when the dolphins get Tebow and you’ll have your QB that will always say the right thing.

24. People saying Sanchez got his team to 2 afc championships games is like someone saying Trent Dilfer carried the 2000 Ravens the Super Bowl.

25. wtf_seriously says: Mar 16, 2012 12:07 PM

_______________________________
    I stand by my statement. You don’t spout off like that just because a reporter asks you a question, not unless it’s already bothering you that is. Think of it like lighting a match. If there’s no fuel nearby, it quickly burns itself out to no effect. In this case, there was clearly some fuel lying around. Does that mean that it’s all Sanchez has been thinking about? No, but it’s something that has clearly bothered him.

Oh, and one more bit of analysis for you: If you have to point out the joke, it’s not a good joke. Your sarcasm is anything but biting. A bit dull in fact.

26. “No, I don’t care,” Sanchez said. “I heard about it, I moved on. No big deal.”

-Mark Sanchez on the topic of his career.

27. ?? Just because he was asked about it doesn’t mean he should answer it. He can say “That’s in the past, we’re all trying to move on. I understand why you asked but I think its best for this team if we just move past it and look to the future.”

The fact he came out and called them gutless (and I agree they were even if they were right), tells me it obviously DOES still bother him, and that he’s not a leader. A leader would have given the answer above.

Even if the people who were quoted are off the team, what about the ones who just a couple of weeks ago were calling for Manning? Those guys are still here.

28. well now THAT’S how you unite a team! call half of your teammates gutless.

Jets, we welcome you to the top 5 picks of the draft in 2013.

just don’t get in our way. we love it here.

-rams, vikings, browns, colts.

29. Hate the jets but didn’t this guy go to two afc championship games and throw for 3,600 yards last year. He needs to improve but he’s a lot better than people make him out to be

————————————————-

Didn’t Trent Dilfer & Brad Johnson win a Super Bowl? And they sucked to. in case you haven’t heard there is this thing called defense and that is what usually wins champions, get a clue. he stinks

30. He acts like a 17 yr old. He dates 17 yr old girls.

One thing for sure, he can’t criticize McIlroy. That guy put his name on it. Nothing McIlroy said was wrong… and in fact, if he was the starter, people would respect him for saying what needed to be said.

The locker room sucks. There are no leaders on the team.

31. Sure, some players are gutless in their anonymity.

Others are gutless in the open, proudly displaying their name on the back of their jersey as they go out and play QB for the New York Jets.

Just saying.

Who’s the leader of that team again? I forget unless I’m told.

32. I think Sanchez should look in the mirror about heart and ability, he sounds like the pot calling the kettle black.

33. pats54 says:
    Mar 16, 2012 10:52 AM

—————————————————-

Sounds like a typical Jetz fan to me.