Vikings showing interest in Alan Ball, Geoff Schwartz

Carolina Panthers 2010 Headshots Getty Images

Jeremy Fowler of the St. Paul Pioneer Press reports that the Vikings will host free agent offensive lineman Geoff Schwartz for a team-facility visit on Monday.

Schwartz can play guard and right tackle. He’d likely compete for a starting job inside with the Vikes after the club released Steve Hutchinson and Anthony Herrera last week.

Fowler also reports that the Vikings have expressed interest in free agent defensive back Alan Ball. Ball was the Cowboys’ starting free safety in 2010. He served primarily as a sub-package cornerback in 2011.

Permalink 20 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
20 Responses to “Vikings showing interest in Alan Ball, Geoff Schwartz”
  1. brewdogg says: Mar 16, 2012 11:39 AM

Wow….I am tingling with anticipation…..

2. vike4life says: Mar 16, 2012 11:40 AM

Why would the team look at a DB from the only secondary in the league worst than the one they had?

3. mjkelly77 says: Mar 16, 2012 11:43 AM

Geoff Schwartz … Vikings? They won’t win for years. Get with the Lions. You’ll play, start next year and win a Super Bowl.

4. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Mar 16, 2012 11:44 AM

I hope Alan can Ball.

5. sportsmeccabi says: Mar 16, 2012 11:45 AM

Carolina can’t let Geoff Schwartz get away. Isn’t he a restricted free agent?

6. dirtybird28 says: Mar 16, 2012 12:04 PM

Alan Ball is rather fast and sizeable for a corner he would make a great back-up or nickel/dime package corner just no a free safety.

7. holdsteady76 says: Mar 16, 2012 12:12 PM

I’m not pleased that we sat out of the Carl Nicks sweepstakes so we could afford John Carlson & Alan Ball.

I would have been happier to have at least made Nicks and offer and then drafted a TE or S for the same net $.

8. kyleburt says: Mar 16, 2012 12:25 PM

Im a Cowboys fan and I’m glad we arent bringing Alan Ball back…as much as I dont care for the Vikes, I would feel bad for them if they signed Ball…he just cant keep up with recievers and has mental lapses…you are better off with Cook and Winfield!

9. holdsteady76 says: Mar 16, 2012 12:31 PM

Nicks + drafted TE > Carlson + Ball

Same $

10. arm57romg says: Mar 16, 2012 12:32 PM

Unfortunately for Vike fans. Alan cannot Ball. Alan can’t even tackle. Nor can he cover.

11. chillyball says: Mar 16, 2012 12:52 PM

True Blood hasnT been good in years. Dump Alan ball.

12. demo1984 says: Mar 16, 2012 1:23 PM

Nicks recieved 47 million with 31 guarenteed, a drafted TE would probobly get 3 years 3-4 million so lets say the two get 50 million combined. Carlson got 25 million with 5 million guarenteed. For it to be even money like you say holdsteady76 Ball would have to get 25 million from the vikes. That is quite the pay raise from his last contract with the cowboys who gave him 1.2 million/ year. Maybe where you went to school 25 million + 5 or 6 million = 50 million but in my world that = about 30 million.

13. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Mar 16, 2012 1:32 PM

I’m not sure Spielman is off to the best start in his new role as GM. Just sayin…

14. packhater1 says: Mar 16, 2012 1:33 PM

Imagine that…Vikings always think they are so clever with their pickups…I think you take a look at Laron Landry to put him at outside linebacker…clearly he is bigger than any other LB we have on the team. Also Get Early Doucet a look! We no longer have that unstoppable option in Greg Camirillo…fml

15. carryingweight says: Mar 16, 2012 1:49 PM

I wanna see landry in purple. I know he gets roasted on pump fakes but he can tackle and be a presence in the backfield that we haven’t had since… Sharper?

16. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Mar 16, 2012 2:06 PM

Carl Gerbschmidt says:Mar 16, 2012 1:32 PM

____________

Yeah, he’s just doing exactly the same thing that Mr. Ted Thompson would do. I thought teams were supposed to build through the draft?

17. samallen34 says: Mar 16, 2012 2:07 PM

I hope the Vikings can land Schwartz. He’s young, talented, and versatile. Just what our o-line needs

18. fwippel says: Mar 16, 2012 2:17 PM

As a Viking fan, the only thing I can say is “wow”!

What ever happened to the concept of actually going out and finding quality players who can start for you for the next several years, like the Vikings did with Antoine Winfield and Darren Sharper?

But with Rick Spielman, who do we get? Guys that remind me of Dennis Green’s glorious reign as the team’s “GM”, where he’d sign guys like John Burrough and Lemanski Hall, and talk about what great players they were, and they couldn’t crack the starting line-up.

Why isn’t Spielman going after LaRon Landry, or one of the other FA DBs who is currently a starter?

A name for Zygi Wilf: Bill Polian.

19. zn0rseman says: Mar 16, 2012 2:21 PM

So many stupid fans out there…

If it were up to them, we would be blowing half our money on big name free agents like those other awesome teams out there! Like the Bengals, Browns, Bills, Bucs, Rams, Redskins, ect, ect. Cause clearly they have the formula for success locked down…

20. jason1214 says: Mar 16, 2012 3:06 PM

All you whiny Vikings fans……..good grief.
    I’m a Viking fan and I’ll tell you, they could sign Nicks, VJax, Landry, Finnegan AND Mario Williams and they wouldn’t make playoffs.
    In reference to those saying we should just sign quality FA’s like Sharper & Winfield, they were built to win then. You know HOW they got to where they are now? cause all those FA’s signings got OLD & INEFFECTIVE…………not to mention the Vikings may have had $23 million in cap space, but its really only $15, since $8 million has to be alloted to sign your DRAFT CHOICES.
    Signing YOUNG players with upside for reasonable $$ amounts and drafting well will rebuild them faster than overpaying every FA on the planet.