Erin Henderson says he hasn’t received a respectable offer

Green Bay Packers v Minnesota Vikings Getty Images

Less than two weeks ago, there was optimism in Minnesota that free agent linebacker Erin Henderson would get a deal done with the Vikings before the start of free agency. But now that we’re four days into free agency and no deal is close, Henderson is getting upset.

Henderson vented on Twitter about what he perceives as a lack of respect from the Vikings, as shown by the lack of an offer that he thinks is acceptable. And when a fan told Henderson he’s not worth a big-money deal, Henderson went off.

“I’ve watched every single 1 of my games from last [year] 10 [times] over. I know what I’m worth,” Henderson wrote, via 1500ESPN.com. “Not to mention they [have not] even give me an offer. I don’t come to [your] job and tell [you] what you [should and shouldn’t] make. So how can [you] say what I’m worth?”

Henderson said he’s surprised the Vikings haven’t agreed to pay what he thinks he’s worth.

“Whats crazy is I’m not even asking for big money,” Henderson wrote. “All I want is respectable money for what I’m asked to do.”

And Henderson even suggested that he’d quit football entirely before he’d play for less than he thinks he’s worth.

“I have a son,” Henderson wrote. “[Why would] I want to put our future relationship in jeopardy for some money that ain’t even close to being correct. I’d rather be broke and watch my son grow up than put my well being on the line for money that doesn’t make sense.”

The good news for Henderson is he’s an unrestricted free agent. If the Vikings won’t make him a respectable offer, he can try to sell himself to 31 other teams.

Permalink 80 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
80 Responses to “Erin Henderson says he hasn’t received a respectable offer”
  1. mikebe1 says: Mar 17, 2012 5:10 PM

I had a 60k job after being laid off I have to settle for a 6mnth temp job for 13 a hr with no benefits.mr. henderson welcome to the reccession and stop bitching.by the way I put my self on the line also.

2. bozz2006 says: Mar 17, 2012 5:13 PM

How are they supposed to respect him when he whines like a little girl in twitter like this? “I don’t tell them how much money they should make, how can they tell me how much I should make?” becaaaaaaaause….. That’s the their job?

3. mediasloppy says: Mar 17, 2012 5:15 PM

I’m a Fan of his and his brother, but this just irks me. It’s common to let a unrestricted free agent find his worth by other teams offers and then go from there. He is a good player, but has had lots of medical issues in the past. Not as bad as his brother though. He’ll get paid. He is just venting for the media…

4. bearsstillsuck says: Mar 17, 2012 5:15 PM

What does he gain by arguing with a fan? And he clearly thinks he’s worth more than he is, so he should just walk away.

5. gsprulz says: Mar 17, 2012 5:16 PM

As a Vikings fan, no one on defense really deserves a pay increase after last season unless your Jared Allen. Erin H. does all the basics but, that’s it. If he thinks he’s worth 5 mi/yr, Vikings are going to move on.

6. kd727 says: Mar 17, 2012 5:19 PM

Man, what’s up with some of these free agent linebackers being so delusional about their market value? (I’m looking at you, Curtis Lofton)

7. hawknuts says: Mar 17, 2012 5:22 PM

you play a game and get rewarded with a fools ransom. go do a blue collar job and then see what not being compensated for your time and effort really is. you get treated like a king and have earned your right into the nflpa but don’t take making millions of dollars for granted as your god given right. what was given can also be taken away.

8. dadeyemi says: Mar 17, 2012 5:22 PM

OK yeah, because your 60k job requires you to throw your body at people and risk torn muscles & tendons. and concussions. shut up. this guy isn’t pulling a John Abraham, asking for 10mil a year. just because you’ve gone through troubles doesn’t mean he should get a crappy deal.

9. noozehound says: Mar 17, 2012 5:25 PM

wait, is he trying to use the “i got kids to feed” that the wolves got from Spreewell? Erin, I’ve got a feeling you’re wearing out your welcome in Minnesota. We took a risk signing you as a free agent. you spent 3 years on the roster before you became a below average starting linebacker on a miserable defense. I say, good luck to you and your brother. You won’t be wearing purple anymore if this the the loyalty we get back.

10. jpb12 says: Mar 17, 2012 5:27 PM

He’s got a chance to sell his services to 32 teams. Obviously he’s not worth what he thinks.

11. selgaeinla says: Mar 17, 2012 5:40 PM

Funny how only 1 LBer has been signed, and that was for little to nothing.

12. grhopper says: Mar 17, 2012 5:42 PM

Cut the greedy bastard…he’s not worth anything close to what he got paid last year.

13. belgaron says: Mar 17, 2012 5:44 PM

Linebackers, defensive tackles and safeties take a back seat to defensive ends and cornerbacks in value paid out by NFL franchises. So far this year, the free agent market for LBs has been extremely slow, unfortunately teams have less cap room with each passing day of free agency. Players may need to take a one year contract to try to play for a bigger deal next year.

14. seaner44 says: Mar 17, 2012 5:46 PM

– Maybe the dumbest thing i have ever read

– They can pay you or offer you what ever they want, they own the team and they are your boss. if you don’t like it then quit and see if you can get signed somewhere else

– I cant ever think of a situation where i walked into an interview or contract negotiation and told them up front you pay me what I want or i don’t work for you, and walked out with the job. It is called negotiation, if you are over the top up front you will not get a counter offer. This is the world we live in cupcake, suck it up.

15. vikingsfan1994 says: Mar 17, 2012 5:48 PM

How are you all jumping to the conclusion that he is being an idiot. WE DON’T EVEN KNOW HOW MUCH HE’S BEING OFFERED!! For all we know, he could be right! Vikings seem to have problems deciding how much to pay people anyway I.E. John Carlson.

16. bearsstillsuck says: Mar 17, 2012 5:48 PM

Dadeyemi: tell that to the military, police officers, and firefighters. Nfl players need to get off their high horse and realize they just play a game for our entertainment.

17. vikingsfan1994 says: Mar 17, 2012 5:53 PM

18. wwwfella says: Mar 17, 2012 5:58 PM

how many people in any walk of life get paid what they think their worth?

19. coleman121280 says: Mar 17, 2012 5:59 PM

Erin Henderson needs to humble himself. If he has watched the film that I watched then he should know that he

A. Never took over a game.

B. Was the only LB we could afford after resigning Chad Greenway (who also has never taken a game over)

C. HAS NO SPEED.

20. Big D in D says: Mar 17, 2012 6:05 PM

just goes to show you how out of touch the professional athelete is and inflated their egos can be. I think I’m worth a whole lot more than I get paid, but ultimately the employer tells me what they are willing to pay. By the way, I agree with the Vikings, Erin you weren’t that great.

21. axespray says: Mar 17, 2012 6:08 PM

Let him walk to the eagles, draft a Linebacker, problem solved… sort of.

22. gb4mn0 says: Mar 17, 2012 6:11 PM

This is just more of the same dim witted decision making that’s been SOP for the loser purple toads. They gave TE Carlson silly money for a player that’s a regular on the IR list so what do they expect from the rest of their FAs? They probably broke the bank paying off the jury to get Cook off.

23. eaststsfb says: Mar 17, 2012 6:12 PM

Vikingsfan, you got no heart. Just like your team.

24. vikingsfan1994 says: Mar 17, 2012 6:12 PM

I love how everyone loves football but when money comes into play people turn into DBags. Nice job America. Real good.

25. jkffootballguy says: Mar 17, 2012 6:15 PM

Become a respectable player and get respectable pay Erin.

26. jclii says: Mar 17, 2012 6:18 PM

Did a High School kid just call people who make 60K, lazy? I love little dips that thik they know everything. It’s funny.

27. mikebe1 says: Mar 17, 2012 6:18 PM

Lol @ vikingfan ignorance is bliss.

28. vikingsfan1994 says: Mar 17, 2012 6:20 PM

Erin is no DeSean Jackson. I have a gut-feeling he is enraged for a reason. Im the only Viking fan in my school in LA. But seriously this is hilarious. The Vikings aside from a few good players are a complete joke. I’d bet my life the Vikings would be able to beat an Arena Football team without Peterson and Harvin.

29. georgiavol91 says: Mar 17, 2012 6:20 PM

What a dumb#ass. It’s pretty obvious why he hasn’t been signed yet. I wonder how long it will take for reality to set in.

30. deconjonesbitchslap says: Mar 17, 2012 6:26 PM

another complaining viking

31. oldbyrd says: Mar 17, 2012 6:32 PM

EAGLES…….He’s far better than anyone we have…anyone but manny, moe and jack

32. xmgmx says: Mar 17, 2012 6:32 PM

Never knew 60k a year was considered bad money. I’m a Vikes fan, but embarrassed to say so with the likes of vikingsfan1994. What a frickin idiot.

33. gsprulz says: Mar 17, 2012 6:33 PM

Fact is Vikings have ten draft pick signings which you can already assume thats going to be over 10million spent there out of the 18million cap we have! Their is no money to go throwing away this season!

34. xmgmx says: Mar 17, 2012 6:35 PM

And no, Henderson is NOT worth 5mil a year.

35. vikingsfan1994 says: Mar 17, 2012 6:37 PM

Yeah I called you guys out. Just cause I’m in high school doesn’t make me dumber than you all. 60k is pathetic. Illegals get that much.

36. thcnote says: Mar 17, 2012 6:40 PM

Is there a player on the planet that doesn’t think he is worth more than he is. Play for what you can get and shut your pie hole. Scrub.

37. vikingsfan1994 says: Mar 17, 2012 6:47 PM

You’re embarrassed by me? How about being embarrassed by your organization. Typical Vikings fan, oblivious. Time to change my username.

38. nemyx1 says: Mar 17, 2012 6:57 PM

Should change his name from Erin to Aaron… then he might get a little more respect?

39. ninefingers9 says: Mar 17, 2012 6:59 PM

Who let the stupid kid in the bar? ~looking your direction Vikingfan1994!

40. wtfru2 says: Mar 17, 2012 7:03 PM

The only reason you got drafted was because of your brother. YOU aren’t that good. Other than Jared, the entire defense from last year should be out of the NFL…

You wouldn’t come to my job and recommend what I should make? Damn right, you wouldn’t understand what it takes for a real job. At the pentagon we don’t play games!

41. wethog66 says: Mar 17, 2012 7:06 PM

When I first saw the title of this post I thought it would be great for the Skins to sign him. The Skins need LB’s in a bad way. Then I read the entire post.

Nevermind.

42. mjkelly77 says: Mar 17, 2012 7:07 PM

__________________

What’s the over/under on how long that would last?

43. getadealdonealready says: Mar 17, 2012 7:14 PM

vikesfan1994 – I say this on behalf of Vikings fans everywhere, “please get off our side”

44. getadealdonealready says: Mar 17, 2012 7:17 PM

Erin – this is why there is free agency, if the Vikes haven’t given you what you are worth, I’m sure the offers are pouring in from the other 31 teams right – if your tape was that good you have nothing to worry about. I will add arguing with fans, and complaining on social media outlets probably isn’t going to make teams want to pay you more, that’s my tip of the day for you.

45. rg3isvictory says: Mar 17, 2012 7:20 PM

There is zero comparison to NFL players and Joe Blow on the street. The fact the fans try and compare their work, life and hardships to celebrities of any kind is ridiculous. Losing your job and making terrible money as a temp working isn’t going to hit a cord with an NFL player. Many of them if not all can’t comprehend only making 60K a year. They spend that on their girlfriends car paying “cash money, homie”!

46. dtrb10 says: Mar 17, 2012 7:23 PM

Erin,

You have to be good to get a respectable offer. Nothing more than a 2nd string LB.

47. captaintriumph says: Mar 17, 2012 7:25 PM

I live in MN, I’m a Vikings fan. Erin Henderson is a backup on most teams. He was a backup on this team until this year. And it’s not like he exploded onto the scene; he was serviceable at best. Henderson’s linebacker spot is one of our biggest objectives in the draft, so if I was him I’d just be happy to be on the team.

48. stellarperformance says: Mar 17, 2012 7:36 PM

vikingsfan1994 says: Mar 17, 2012 6:47 PM
    =================================

Yeah…change your username. We’re all too stupid to think vikingsfan1995 might not be you.

49. gdeli says: Mar 17, 2012 7:37 PM

Not good enough for big bucks. Has to do well longer. That’s reality in the nfl. I think the whole secondary needs to be revamped. Greenway missed a lot of stuff. They could run AND pass on the hapless vikes. BUt the weird thing is… If the vikes had 1 more TD per game they would have been 13-3 I believe. Erin needs more time to develop into a great one. Do the vikes wanna spend the time?

50. 6kings says: Mar 17, 2012 7:38 PM

Vikingsfan1994…young and mouthy, lacking world view…maybe you should try rooting for the bears…moving on.

Henderson needs to grow up and move on. He was OK after 3-4 years in the system…I think the draft can produce better results. Apparently, so do the Vikings.

51. realclearfb says: Mar 17, 2012 7:46 PM

gb4mn0 says:
    Mar 17, 2012 6:11 PM
    ————————————————-

Hmmm….gb4mno came out of mommy’s basement long enough to get some more mac & cheese and check out the internet between cartoons.

In breaking down his post, it appears he agrees with Erin H. and the Vikes need to sign him. Smart money then says the Vikes should not sign him.

Yes, Carlson did miss last year on IR, but the first 3 years he missed one game…sounds like a regular IR guy to me.

Let’s compare that with that TE with the bad hands…Finley I think it is….

4 years in the league for both guys:
    Games played:
    Finley – 48
    Carlson – 47

Receptions:
    137 for both guys

Yards:
    Finley – 1818
    Carlson – 1519

TD’s:
    Finley – 15
    Carlson – 13

Don’t believe me…check the stats yourself.

Finally, he seems to think jury payoffs are part of the salary cap. No, they’re usually paid off with worthless stock certificates.

52. 1wildfan1 says: Mar 17, 2012 7:53 PM

“And stop crying about your 60k jobs. You lazy jerks probably didn’t give a hoot about high school and getting good grades when you were a kid. If you are making bad money it’s cause you never gave enough effort as a kid. Being part of my high school team last year I know that Erin put in an extra 3-5 hours of practice a day, as do all players. So he actually worked hard unlike you. I’m talking to you 60k boy.”

Vikingsfan1994,
    Does mommy know you’re on the computer arguing with grown ups? Its almost night night time for you, junior.

53. bobnelsonjr says: Mar 17, 2012 8:03 PM

A few things to note.

1) This stupid viking already has one steroid violation against him. That decreases his value.

2) He was barely a starter on a loser 3-13 team. They had no one else to play and he only started 11 games last year his only starts in 4 years. That decreases his value.

3) Nobody respects the viking defense or any player on it. Having his whole NFL time on the vikings decreases his value due to lack of good coaching. Who has ever seen this guy on national television?

4) No one who has not started a dozen games in the NFL should be out there whining, especially about finding a new career.

5) He is the only male I know of named “Erin”. He has no nickname or brand appeal. If he had earned a name like Hammer, Hacksaw, Gravedigger, he would have more value.

6) If his arrest record is not too bad he should go play in Canada for awhile and get noticed.

54. cougar69rt03 says: Mar 17, 2012 8:13 PM

wasnt he suspended a while back too ? If he was worth alot he would have been signed by now . Least he didnt mention the I have to feed my children .

55. 5212losers says: Mar 17, 2012 8:24 PM

He could always play for the Packers. Wait, he would have to supplant AJ Hawk the stud, right?

15-1 regular season.
    0-1 playoff disaster. Beautiful. Set a record too.

56. gb4mn0 says: Mar 17, 2012 8:27 PM

realclearfb says:
    Mar 17, 2012 7:46 PM

——————————————-
    LMAO! I love your bombastic diatribe. You pitiful vikequeef naives are just to easy to goad into an angry rant. But hey, you’re used to being played, the team you support has been playing you dummies for 51 seasons.

57. jclii says: Mar 17, 2012 8:30 PM

I thought this was a story about the blonde chick on ESPN.

58. mikebe1 says: Mar 17, 2012 8:36 PM

Guys don’t argue with the little man he is young ignorant and doesn’t yet know the value of money.he thinks asking mommy twice for bubble gum money is hard work.

59. randomjim says: Mar 17, 2012 8:37 PM

vikingsfan1994 says:
    Mar 17, 2012 5:48 PM

====================================
    What we do know is no one else has made an offer good enough for him to except so nobody thinks he is worth what he is thinking.

60. jclii says: Mar 17, 2012 8:55 PM

You mean “accept”. Maybe you are dumberer then the rest of us.

61. prplpuzzetrz says: Mar 17, 2012 9:10 PM

@ bobnelsonjr-

6) reasons your an idiot! To go along with your 6) points of foolishness. To say Nobody respects the Vikings D, you already lost everyone’s attention & credibility. Although, they had a dismal season, and are in complete rebuild mode. Look statistically over the past 10 years, and the Vikings have been a top 5 team in D. Most notibely, rush yds allowed and Sacks.
    It is painful being a Viking fan, as I’m sure being a fan of any of the 22 teams in the league that are not perennial studs! But, it is football and we gotta love it!
    But fans , that come on this site to make jackass comments and put down other fans & teams, is just plain silly!
    I’m sure it’s tough to be original, well with all the commotion & thin walls in your trailer

62. realclearfb says: Mar 17, 2012 9:11 PM

gb4mn0 says:
    Mar 17, 2012 8:27 PM

—————————————

Wasn’t the slightest bit of anger in anything I said. Just a few facts mixed with a little humor because you always seem so tense. Those who frequent the site and have read your posts know what I mean.

63. vikefan says: Mar 17, 2012 9:12 PM

——————————————-
    ———————————————– ——-
    still havent gotten over that playoff loss, eh? gotta keep lettin da world know ur a closet vikes fan

..& since ur not 10 yet. letting u know payoff of juries has nothing to do with nfl salary cap

64. 31teamsarebetterthanthepackers says: Mar 17, 2012 9:21 PM

Everytime I read this site I am always amazed that gb4mn0 knows how to read, type or use a computer. He must take just enough time out of his day to search and read a few Vikings blogs after hollering at his pets to “put the lotion in the basket!”

65. sp6305 says: Mar 17, 2012 9:22 PM

Who cares about that fool homies. The Vikes will be moving to LA next year anyway so F that fool. Los vikingos homies that’s right A. One more thing packer fan. Keep your inbred asses at home don’t think your coming to el barrio and take over our stadium. You may arrive in a packer jersey but your going home in a body bag. Leave your livestock at home.

66. matt5mn says: Mar 17, 2012 9:26 PM

I’ve listened to EH on the 9-12 local sports station and have thought that is has been rather haute on himself. I can agree with what one of the other comments said in that the only person who deserves a pay day is Jared Allen – none of the LB’s performed at a level that would allow them to “get paid” at a level that would be at or above the average. It was his first year starting and now he feels entitled? Come on EH, lock the lips. Sign a two year deal and play better than you did this past season. I’m not saying that you’re a bad player, but let it speak on the field first before you start making jabs off.

67. nawlinssaints1956 says: Mar 17, 2012 9:28 PM

vikingsfan1994 – It is a sad commentary on our educational system that uninformed children like yourself can post such drivel. I’m pretty sure a $60K income per year is more than what you will ever see in your lifetime. Can you say “how about some kick ass fries with that burger”??

Erin should be appreciative of the salary he has received from the Purple; he would not be on the roster if not for the fact that his brother is on the team.

This Vikings organization is a mess. From the Wilfs to the crappy front office, they really don’t have as clue.

Practically no activity in free agency; it’s almost guaranteed they will screw up the draft also. Rick Spielman is a moron.

Unlike you, I live in the Twin Cities so I can comment on this train wreck first hand.

The Vikings will not be relevant for many seasons to come…

68. giantenemybird says: Mar 17, 2012 9:59 PM

He doesn’t seem to understand that his worth isn’t determined by him. He could use a lesson in economics.

69. thejuddstir says: Mar 18, 2012 1:43 AM

The Vikings as an organization are out of control. Couple days ago Speilman asked the fans to “have patience with this rebuilding as it could take 3-4 years”, today, Coach Frazier when asked , said, “we are not done signing free agents, we are in this to win it this year”, an UFA like Henderson who couldn’t make the team for 3 years until big broker EJ asked for a favor from the Vikes and now the punk wants to dictate what he should make when he hasn’t did squat on the field. He is undersized, too slow and not too sharp upstairs, he is at best a backup filler. If he thinks he’s so good, how come not a single one of the other 31 teams have knocked on his door. Then he pulls a “Sprewell” but does one better and says he would rather raise his kids as a broke unemployed person than accept less than he thinks he’s worth….it’s all about ME huh Erin, the hell with your kids!!

70. purplebleeder says: Mar 18, 2012 1:55 AM

All I do is run into burning houses and try to pull people out of mangled cars. Hmmm how much am I worth? I’m not bitchin, I’m doing what I love. Aren’t you Erin? I didn’t see you leading the team in any way. Show me stats. Show me results of your work. What are you laying on the line?

71. jsharqawi says: Mar 18, 2012 5:01 AM

I just read through this enter posting just so I could click thumbs up on everyone who commented about vikingsfan1994….what a douche…

72. gb4mn0 says: Mar 18, 2012 9:03 AM

31teamsarebetterthanthepackers says:
    Mar 17, 2012 9:21 PM
    ———————————————

At least I’m able to compose and post my own comments. You, on the other hand, get on your knees in front of your boyfriend and beg him (wink wink) to post yours.

sp6305 says:
    Mar 17, 2012 9:22 PM

———————————————-

Mira buey, todo el mundo sabe que son hijo de la chingada y hotos todo los fanaticos de los vikings.

73. theytukrjobs says: Mar 18, 2012 10:00 AM

It is very typical for a team to allow UFA’s to test the waters before offering them a deal, particularly when they believe the market for a player is softer than the player believes.

On the surface, this seems like the Vikings are playing this correctly. He wants something like 4-5 mil probably and teams aren’t willing to pay that.

74. sp6305 says: Mar 18, 2012 11:14 PM

Let’s see we need a wide receiver , middle linebacker,offensive linemen, corner,and safety. So we sign a point guard, we on a roll.

75. alldayvikings says: Mar 19, 2012 2:44 AM

gb4mn0 says: Mar 17, 2012 6:11 PM

———————————————————————————–
    Wow. You didn’t say “vikequeefs” in this post. You normally never miss a opportunity of saying “vikequeefs”.

76. alldayvikings says: Mar 19, 2012 2:51 AM

gb4mn0 says: Mar 17, 2012 8:27 PM

________________________________________________________________

Oops nevermind. It’s really not that creative ya know? Especially how every Viking fan that reads your post sees it every.single.post. Get some new things to say…or…even better… just don’t post anything.

77. duece5 says: Mar 19, 2012 5:47 PM

dadeyemi says:Mar 17, 2012 5:22 PM

duece5 says:

Hey dade…..the MARKET will determine his value……right now, the MARKET is telling him he isn’t worth that much. Why? Ask the other teams, and watch his play…..he was out played early in the year, and played better down the stretch…..in the NFL, Erin is serviceable, but he is hardly a bonafide star LB…….not sure he would start for many teams out there. He just hasn’t proven enough yet to make the bigger dollars in the NFL. If he thinks he’s worth $3+ million a year, he is delusional!!

Erin……Vikes fan here. I’ve watched you play.
    You’ve started for a total of 1 year, and last year, you, and the ENTIRE LB corps was outplayed and outmuscled most of the games I watched.

Getting in the Twitter debate with fans shows your immaturity. Grow up, learn to be a lockdown linebacker, and the MARKET will pay you what you are worth. Right now, due to your inconsistency and lack of experience, the market is TELLING you to improve.

Pretty simple….

78. mikebe1 says: Mar 19, 2012 6:33 PM

Smh another ingorant punk if u must know . If I make a mistake I can be electricuted,paralyzed,lose an eye,break bones just those small risks,btw I climb towers up to 500 feet high.I’m the reason your cell phones work. Did I mention I can die?so I think my job is just as risky as his if not more than.when your looking at porn on day type in highway to heaven on youtube and see if u don’t puke coward.

79. mnfaninaz says: Mar 19, 2012 8:30 PM

“Erin Henderson says he hasn’t received a respectable offer”

…nor should he. The guy is an average (at best) football player living off the reputation of his brother, a reputation from 4 years ago at that!

Go away Erin… you’re not newsworthy nor are you PFT worthy. Even if they erroneously placed you on their top 100 free agents list.

I’d rather have Ben Leber back over you.

80. tkwolves says: Mar 20, 2012 12:18 PM