Jabari Greer responds to bounty allegations, with poetry

136537418_crop_450x500 Getty Images

At some point in my life, if I continue to cover the NFL, I probably will be able to truthfully say that I have seen everything.  I’m not there yet, but the eventual list of unusual twists and turns will consist of the time Jabari Greer responded to allegations of a bounty system during his three years with the Saints by writing a poem.

It appears in the New Orleans Times-Picayune.  While it’s not particularly horrible it’s also not particularly informative.  The only new ground is plowed in his non-poetic p.s., which concedes that “some of the allegations brought before us are true.”

It’s more than “some,” given that the NFL already has concluded that players were enticed to inflict injury (or, at a minimum to knock opponents out of games).  And that not a supposition or an inference or a mere preponderance of the evidence.  The NFL came to that conclusion because former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams confessed.

A full 15 days after the bounty system was exposed by the league, some of the men closest to it dare to suggest that the media is exaggerating the plain facts of the case.  Please, go back and read the league’s release.  The media is merely reacting to what the NFL itself concluded, thanks in part to the fact that the people responsible for the situation finally (and reluctantly) admitted it.

“During the 2009, 2010 and 2011 seasons, the players and other participants involved used their own money to fund a ‘Pay for Performance’ program,” the league announced on March 2.  “Players earned cash awards for plays such as interceptions or fumble recoveries.  They also earned ‘bounty’ payments for ‘cart-offs’ and ‘knockouts.’  All such payments violate league rules for non-contract bonuses.”

And yet members of the organization are trying to persuade fans to believe that, by calling it exactly what the NFL called it, the media is in some way overstating the situation.

“I think the perception might be different from the reality in certain cases with this thing,” quarterback Drew Brees recently told FOX Sports Radio,  “because it sure has been painted that we’re all guilty and we’ve all been doing these heinous things.”

First of all, no one has suggested that offensive players were receiving bounties.  At worst, people believe that members of the offense knew or should have known the situation.  Drew’s use of the lawyer-fingerprinted phrase “real existence” served only to reinforce that perception, with nearly 80 percent of more than 15,000 of you believing that Brees was aware of the bounty program.

So, Jabari, it’s more than “some” of the allegations being true.  The allegations are so true that they’re no longer allegations.  The league concluded that the bounty system was in place based on the admissions of those who ran it.  The sooner the Saints players accept that reality, the sooner every team can move forward without these kinds of shenanigans tainting future Super Bowl victories.

Permalink 51 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
51 Responses to “Jabari Greer responds to bounty allegations, with poetry”
  1. burds358 says: Mar 17, 2012 3:40 PM

I quite enjoyed reading that poem. Very impressive, Jabari!

2. babyhorsemorgan says: Mar 17, 2012 3:40 PM

Roses are red, violets are blue,
    Jabari Greer is even sillier than you.

3. chiadam says: Mar 17, 2012 3:42 PM

Roses are red
    Violets are blue
    I tried to break your legs for money
    San Dimas High School Football rules

4. Ebrostradamus says: Mar 17, 2012 3:46 PM

vikings fans respond with a loud fart

5. plucktor1 says: Mar 17, 2012 3:47 PM

If the Saints were found to be deliberately going out of their way to injure opponents, than they certainly deserve all of the sanctions that the NFL and media want to send their way.

However, if they were rewarding players for hard, clean hits, I personally don’t have an issue with it. Of course there should still be some penalty, as rewarding hits, or even turnovers with money is deemed illegal. But there is no evidence that the Saints were injuring players more than any other team.

Was Tom Brady injured a few years back because Benard Pollard was trying to win a bounty? Cmon. Prove they were injuring players more than others..and go ahead and fine/suspend em all. The Wall Street Journal however found the opposite http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203370604577263580381162426.html

6. bearsstillsuck says: Mar 17, 2012 3:47 PM

The colts will have a bounty on manning if he goes to the titans.

7. honkdale says: Mar 17, 2012 3:49 PM

Greer has lost his mind
    Starting a new profession
    To earn lost bounty

8. 4thqtrsaint says: Mar 17, 2012 3:57 PM

Has anyone watched film from those seasons in which the “Bounty Program” was in use? I’d like to know how many “cart-offs” or “knockouts” were counted. In 3 seasons, I’m willing to bet the count was lower than other teams. Other than Warner & Favre in the 2009 playoffs, I don’t remember any particularly gruesome hits.

That’s part of what gets me about all this. As a Saints fan, I agree the intention is wrong to hurt another player, I just don’t think my team was particularly good at it.

In fact, in the Sean Payton era, two hits that stand out the most were against my team. Last year, Jimmy Graham was bent like a pretzel as one defender hit him high while another hit him low.
    The BIGGEST hit was in 2006, when, I believe Brian Dawkins knocked the life out of Reggie Bush. Reggie had to literally crawl for a minute. You know the Eagles were out to get him for a bounty. The only difference being, they called it a CONTRACT.

9. 4512dawg4512 says: Mar 17, 2012 4:15 PM

Little Miss Muffet sat on a tuffet eating her curds and whey,
    Along came Jabari, broke her leg said “I’m Sorry”
    Then he said to the coach “where’s my pay”? Ohhhh!

10. ausernamethatisavailable says: Mar 17, 2012 4:17 PM

Get over your witch hunt mike. They encourage knocking players out of the game with legal hits for strategic purposes. The margin of error is so small, and all defenses try to do this. The only crime is paying additional money for it which I gather is against league rules. Wake up!

11. thegonz13 says: Mar 17, 2012 4:24 PM

What cracks me up is the “Nobody understands me” part at the very bottom.

Another misunderstood athlete…

12. xxwhodatxx says: Mar 17, 2012 4:30 PM

Let’s see some hard facts showing who was injured over the past 3 years. If the media or anyone else had hard evidence they would be parading it around like nobodies buisness. So that leads me to believe that it doesn’t exist and the bounties led to no more injuries than regularly occur.

13. twodat says: Mar 17, 2012 4:31 PM

Is it ok for SF to actually injure players?

14. babyhorsemorgan says: Mar 17, 2012 4:42 PM

When Jabari gets to camp his teammates going to steal his lunch money, give him a massive wedgie, then stuff him into his own locker and lock it.

15. randallcobb says: Mar 17, 2012 4:44 PM

Randall says that’s funny

16. SeenThisB4 says: Mar 17, 2012 4:44 PM

Sounds a bit like the news media is now on the defensive…which coincides with the NFL’s silence regarding the penalties that were supposedly going to be imposed by end of last week, then end of this week, and now, before the owner’s meetings.

17. Big D in D says: Mar 17, 2012 4:44 PM

I have no doubt there was a bounty system and in fact believe that many teams in one way or another promote the same type of killer mentality yet today. People or teams that resort to that are in my mind actually afraid of their oponent and know in their own minds they are inferior in talent and ability and resort to the act of injuring or disabling better atheletes on the opposition.

18. jonny42671 says: Mar 17, 2012 4:46 PM

Katrina and now cheating, Saints fans are the only ones who really believe they deserved the Championship. While everyone else knows the truth now. Enjoy your tainted Superbowl

19. samapoc says: Mar 17, 2012 4:53 PM

Allegation that might be true: Players gave each other money for doing well in games. What a scandal!

20. profootballwalk says: Mar 17, 2012 5:01 PM

Williams doesn’t deny it.

Payton doesn’t deny it.

Loomis doesn’t deny it.

But Saints fans deny it.

Delusional. Enjoy your next first round draft pick. In 2015.

21. panther17 says: Mar 17, 2012 5:01 PM

Just hand down the punishments and move on already.

22. turbodog1027 says: Mar 17, 2012 5:41 PM

jonny42671 says: Mar 17, 2012 4:46 PM

Oh we are enjoying it thank you very much. Not a day goes by that i don’t think about that Super Bowl victory. Sure is sweet baby.

23. turbodog1027 says: Mar 17, 2012 5:43 PM

profootballwalk says: Mar 17, 2012 5:01 PM

Williams doesn’t deny it.

Payton doesn’t deny it.

Loomis doesn’t deny it.

But Saints fans deny it.

Delusional. Enjoy your next first round draft pick. In 2015.

You’re delusional if you think we will lose more than 1 1st rd draft pick…c’mon man…get your head out your boyfriends ass

24. abr173rd says: Mar 17, 2012 5:46 PM

Mike you keep making yourself look more ridiculous the more you try to get on your imaginary high horse. Why aren’t you covering all of the tweets and interviews from players of various teams that have openly admitted it happens on their teams and has been happening.

Mike Golic has been outspoken on this subject and how it has been going on way since he was playing ball and considered it acceptable.

The Wallstreet Journal actually did and article where they went through the tape of the last 4 seasons (Journalism-imagine that) and came to the conclusion that if any “bounty” was collected for “cart offs” it was only possible twice since 2009 and both hits were clean. The also broke down the money offered in comparison to the player contracts and its common sense there was little “Booty” for “Bounty” when factoring in possible fines and player salaries.

Keep deleting it you bogus journalist

25. senky3 says: Mar 17, 2012 6:06 PM

whether the saints actually hurt anybody or not is not relevent. the incentive to hurt someone was there and sanctioned by the coaches. just because the players were good enough to actually do it does not excuse the crime.

26. jamaltimore says: Mar 17, 2012 6:12 PM

The difference is that the players believed they were being paid to knock someone out. They don’t believe that constitutes maiming someone for life and knocking them out of the league for weeks or careers. The media is promoting the worst case outcome as the norm/standard. Mario williams didn’t just get 100 millin for small hits and push downs. The defensive players selected in the first round are all Big hitters who at any moment end a guy’s career whether they want to or not.

Not saying greg williams was right as a coach or shouldn’t be fined/suspended as he’s a leader blatantly not following the rules, however the whinyness of those who probably never played but yet are making a career out of covering the sport is absurd.

27. sdisme says: Mar 17, 2012 6:21 PM

thegonz13 says:
    Mar 17, 2012 4:24 PM
    What cracks me up is the “Nobody understands me” part at the very bottom.

Another misunderstood athlete…

Had I just read this article, I would agree with you. However since I read Jabari’s Out of Bounds article every week in the Times Picayune I understand what it means. Unfortunately the writer of this article failed to mention this is a weekly submission by Greer and not a one time poem written to address bountygate. But that would not have helped his point.

Please google Out of Bounds Jabari Greer. I would suggest reading The breath that birthed a legend.

That would explain what he means by nobody understands me.

28. twodat says: Mar 17, 2012 6:36 PM

We are guilty of pay for performance but not pay for injuries. We did not abide by the rules of the league. Saints joined league and agreed to abide by its rules. We will have to take our lumps but definitely believe journalists have sensationalized this.

29. tavia47 says: Mar 17, 2012 6:47 PM

I’am a saint’s fan we are not denying anything nor do we want to see anyone get hurt, and the super bowl is not tainted we do have talent on our offense.There is a bounty system with all 32 teams believe that and stop fooling yourself it was ok when the 49′ers knock pierre thomas out of the game no one had nothing to say about that he was literally knocked out of the game he did not return. we are ready to deal with what ever and move on, we will prevail. we don’t care that you don’t like our saint’s but we love them through thick and thin hell and high water. Leave Katrina out of this live’s were lost here.

30. phishead1313 says: Mar 17, 2012 6:56 PM

Hey Jabari, don’t quit your day job, lol. Its a good thing you get paid to play, because a career in poetry would leave you BROKE. That sucked.

31. wtfru2 says: Mar 17, 2012 6:58 PM

The NFL needs to punish them and move on. Quit dragging your feet! Worry about the law suits later.

32. nowillrepeat says: Mar 17, 2012 7:07 PM

Hey Mike, my work friends and I put our own $ together this week in an ncaa bracket pool.

Since we didnt report it to the irs and its not regulated by our company, I guess you believe we should all go to jail for tax evasion.

33. jrfrom508 says: Mar 17, 2012 7:10 PM

What’s the only this lame than one poem?
    Two poems!

34. jrfrom508 says: Mar 17, 2012 7:16 PM

Wow, I botched that one. I’m not even drunk.

What’s the only thing lamer than one poem?
    Two poems!

10 points for anyone who knows what that’s from.

35. eballa1 says: Mar 17, 2012 7:45 PM

New Orleans Saints, Super Bowl 44 champions! Deal with it.

36. fatfreddystubbs says: Mar 17, 2012 7:52 PM

————————————————–
    You can’t be serious. First off, it was Sheldon Brown. Second, it was a clean, text-book hit, and third, it was a little behind him and he didn’t catch it clean so he had no time to make a move or prepare for impact, so maybe whatever the Eagles were doing, Brees and Bush were in on it too!! Seriously, THAT’S a play you’re gonna use as an example of a bounty? Wow

37. cscfriarbob says: Mar 17, 2012 8:09 PM

The league has said that the program existed. Williams agreed. Payton agreed. Loomis agreed. Benson agreed. And they all apologized. As they should, because it WAS wrong.

But the league has said that there were deliberate payments for “cart-offs”. And Williams said nothing. Payton said nothing. Loomis said nothing. Benson said nothing. And every single player who has said anything about the program, every single staff member or friend of the team or any other human being on the face of the planet not employed by the NFL league office has said that this is not true.

Yet because Goodell and PFT said that an anonymous accuser claimed this occurred, we must assume that it absolutely 100% must be true. Whatever.

38. fatfreddystubbs says: Mar 17, 2012 8:41 PM

————————————————
    When i read that the first time, i thought the “contract” part of it meant just another term for bounty. as i read it again, i realize 4thqtrsaint could’ve meant there was nothing wrong with the hit and that “contract” meant playing for a contract and there was nothing wrong with the hit. If the second meaning is what he meant, i retract the last part of my earlier comment. If not, earlier comment stands.

39. cdsaints says: Mar 17, 2012 8:58 PM

Right because we all know journalists (and I use that term loosely here) are not concerned with anything but the truth…so long as that truth generates website traffic, TV ratings, and ad revenue. And if it doesn’t, well then I guess wild ass assumptions and jumping to conclusions will do just as well!

40. b0rker says: Mar 17, 2012 9:48 PM

Hey Mike. You make journalism into a joke. Oh yeah, I forgot. You’re not a journalist.

41. zn0rseman says: Mar 17, 2012 11:47 PM

The main thing some people still don’t seem to grasp is that the difference between what the Saints were doing and what has been done in football in the past, is that the Saints bounty program was not about hard hitting or aggressive play, they were literally trying to do nothing more than injure and maime key players from their opponents.

Doing such a thig flys in the face of every sense of sportsmanship that exists in sports.

If they were just giving players a few extra bucks for good play, I’m sure the NFL would give them a slap on the wrist, if that. No, they were intentionally trying to injure specific players, they were also being given money by organized crime to do so (see Ornstein’s involvement) and to top it off, half of the posters here who saw the 2009 NFC Championship game are convinced the officials were also involved or at least complacent in their crimes.

This is ugly for the Saints, and at best, potentially disasterous for the NFL because of what it means. They must bring the hammer crashing down hard on the Saints for this.

42. 4thqtrsaint says: Mar 18, 2012 1:19 AM

Ok, I feel the need to clarify my comments earlier. But before I do, you have to understand my viewpoint is not tilted in the Saints direction simply because I’m a fan. What I say about the Saints here, I would apply to any NFL team. I am a die hard fan, but the rules always come first even if I don’t entirely agree with a rule or even if a rule I agree with hurts my team. I am mature enough to make distinctions.

The Reggie Bush/Lito Sheppard Hit: I orginally said “I believe it was Dawkins”, meaning I wasn’t for sure. I don’t care if it was Carrot Top laying the hit, as the specific defender in question wasn’t the point of my argument.

The Point of My Argument: I was attempting sarcasm to a degree. The hit on Reggie Bush, to me, was far worse than any single hit on Warner or Favre. But the hit on Bush was clean and legal 100%. Doesn’t mean it wasn’t vicious. There obviously are differences between a bounty and a contract, but we’re talking semantics then. The bottom line is, NFL defenders are paid to stop the other guys for money. How they do it varies by teams and players within those teams. Another Eagle defender may have wrapped up Bush’s legs. Lito Sheppard thumped Bush in the chest with his shoulders.

For all the people that say, “yeah, but the Saints were trying to hurt people and take them out of the game”, I say, yes they did. So has every team since the dawn of football. Mario Williams is free to slam Drew Brees as hard as possible within the rules. That hit could be legal and still take Brees out of the game or end his career. I’d be pissed, but guess what? Mario gets paid to do that. If its an illegal hit, he gets flagged and fined, but that doesn’t change the injury.

Its bogus of anyone trying to be self righteous here. We love seeing guys get beatdown on Sunday. If your RB is killing our D and they take him out intentionally or not, I’m a happy guy. I would expect nothing less from the opponent. I bet 49ers fans were very happy Pierre Thomas was knocked out early in that playoff game. They should be happy. PT is a back that can kill you if he gets going. Were they trying to take him out? Was a bonus paid to someone for knocking him out? I don’t care. He’s out of the game, that’s what I care about.

So did the Saints do something illegal? Yes. According to NFL rules, they did. They took extra money to do something they were going to do anyway. That’s not allowed. They should be punished for that. Take away the “bounties” and lets say the results from those 3 seasons are the same… Are you mad now? Only if you hated them already.

To make a short story long, the Saints did break the rules. Whatever punishment is handed down, I accept. But I will never see my team as immoral on this issue. If the Saints are immoral, the NFL is immoral. Guys get paid to pound other guys. Everybody gets paid. Some people get hurt. And I love every stinking minute of it. :)

43. frank booth says: Mar 18, 2012 3:19 AM

It’s clear by the distribution of thumbs up/thumbs down that this thread is mostly populated by Saints fans, many of them with IQ’s over 40. It’s good to see that many of them can somewhat read and actually master the intricacies of clicking on “thumbs up” or “thumbs down”. Fewer of them can write, however.

Who dat tryin’ to piece together a sentence?

44. effjohntaylornorelation says: Mar 18, 2012 3:52 AM

Click this link to NOLA.com

You shoul read the comments from the gushing and blind fans of the Saints. I posted under the name BountyHunterHater

45. samapoc says: Mar 18, 2012 7:30 AM

There isn’t any evidence of the Saints trying to hurt anyone. The supposed “evidence” that people keep citing is just made up stuff. This entire story really is ridiculous.

The only difference between this alleged program by the Saints and any regular incentives contract is that players made almost no money in the Saints program. So far, no one can find an intent to injure or a payout for injury.

And that is why the penalty already levied against the Saints for salary cap violations is enough punishment.

46. turbodog1027 says: Mar 18, 2012 9:54 AM

“The only sad part is, the Vikings would have likely won the Super Bowl that year had the Saints not gotten away with their illegal hits on Favre. And when the dust settles, the Saints will still have won in the end because they’ll still have that Lombardi Trophy in their trophy case.”

The sad part is you still haven’t moved on

47. tavia47 says: Mar 18, 2012 9:56 AM

@Frank Booth Go to Hell!!! You understand that?

48. euphoni says: Mar 18, 2012 10:50 AM

Lets make fun of one of the only football players with a brain.

Btw, how many passes did your team complete against Jabari…?

Exactly!

49. euphoni says: Mar 18, 2012 10:55 AM

This journalist is a complete joke.

How about YOU give us some new information. It’s not Jabari’s job to do that, it’s his job to speak his mind, your job to give us credible information, which you hae not.

Your biased view against the Saints is getting very old and is a disgrace to sports writers.

Wow, imagine a Vikings fan perpetuating Saints negativity.

How about an unbiased point of view once in a while? Its something called journalistic integrity, learn about it.

50. frank booth says: Mar 18, 2012 8:13 PM

tavia47 says:
    Mar 18, 2012 9:56 AM
    @Frank Booth Go to Hell!!! You understand that?
    ===================================
    That’s a snappy, innovative comeback. Print it out and show it to your friend.

51. salmen76 says: Mar 19, 2012 9:24 AM

Much-ado about nothin mike. The Saints are more relevant now than they’ve ever been. They didn’t do anything wrong. The other 31 teams and their fans are just jealuos cuz the Saints have the best Offense in the NFL. Ha Ha. Bounty-smounty. This would be like NASCAR handing out speeding tickets to the drivers of the Daytona 500! The Saints defenders will be hitting even harder this year without the bounty system. Ha Ha. There are no rules against hitting hard. In fact there are no rules against hurting players. As long as you don’t hurt anyone for a bounty. Just make sure you do it for your salary and pride alone. Ha ha. Police that NFL. Geaux Saints!