Michael Bennett signs tender from Bucs

Chad Henne, Michael Bennett AP

When the Buccaneers placed a first-round tender on restricted free agent defensive end Michael Bennett, it was a clear sign that they wanted to hold onto him for the 2012 season.

Consider that a mission accomplished. The team announced Monday that Bennett has signed the tender offer and will remain with the team. He’ll make $2.7 million in 2012 as part of a defensive end group that also includes second-year players Adrian Clayborn and Da’Quan Bowers.

There was never much chance Bennett would leave once the team tendered him at that level. While he’s shown promise in his three-year NFL career, Bennett wasn’t likely to generate much interest from teams that would have to give up a first-round pick to acquire him.

It’s a good deal for Bennett as well. Spots on the Bucs defense figure to be up for grabs under a new regime and Bennett did a good job for them before getting hurt last season. If Bennett shows more progress, he will likely land a longer deal around this time next year if he hasn’t already signed an extension in Tampa.

Permalink 8 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill, Tampa Bay Buccaneers
8 Responses to “Michael Bennett signs tender from Bucs”
  1. damnsureis says: Mar 19, 2012 2:41 PM

Who would have guessed that someone named Michael Bennett would get hurt?

2. bucrightoff says: Mar 19, 2012 2:48 PM

When he was on last year, he was a surprising force. Hopefully he continues to progress

3. mobuccsfan says: Mar 19, 2012 2:48 PM

Hopefully he can provide some depth at least on that line. Buccs need to address DL, LB and secondary big time in the draft and remaining days of FA. Really think they dropped the ball on not trying to pursue Carr or even Finnegan, whom are both better than Wright, IMO.

4. agelardi says: Mar 19, 2012 2:49 PM

I’m getting tired of all these stories of free agents signing with other teams and the photos you use are of them doing well against the Dolphins. I don’t need the constant reminder of how inept the Fins are in free agency.

5. smakhhm says: Mar 19, 2012 2:58 PM

Who cares bucks are still horrible even with their recent signings.

6. mobuccsfan says: Mar 19, 2012 3:07 PM

@agelardi,

Lol. Sorry to laugh, but I just noticed that going back and looking at some of today’s top stories. Hey don’t worry, it happens with the Buccaneers too, trust me. I’ve seen it many times on this site over the years. I do hope the Phins turn things around soon, somehow, someway.

7. kevinb73 says: Mar 19, 2012 4:27 PM

I don’t expect a superbowl this year, but I think the Glaziers finally listened to all the people who are no longer season ticket holders and really don’t like seeing a bunch of empty bleachers and opened the wallet. I hope it will pay off.

Go Bucs!

8. bucwild05 says: Mar 19, 2012 4:41 PM

poor Smakhhm…. you seem a little upset. Just so you know, the Bucks play Basketball…. and obviously your mind-set of the Bucs is il-advised.

Bucs is short for Buccaneers.

a Buck, is a male deer… they have antlers and live in the woods… not to mention, seem to be attracted to the front end of my car.

A Buccaneer is a Pirate. They have an eye patch, sword, a ship, and sometimes a parrot on their shoulder.

So, if you’re going to make mis-guided accusations about the Buccaneers, I figure that maybe next time you’ll actually seem smart by spelling the team nick name correctly.

That would be like me calling the Seahawks the Hocks. Just doesn’t seem the same, does it?