Brandon Weeden: “My age is a non-issue”

Brandon Weeden AP

Oklahoma State’s Brandon Weeden is generally regarded as the fourth-best quarterback in this year’s NFL draft, behind Andrew Luck, Robert Griffin III and Ryan Tannehill. But there’s one major red flag for Weeden that doesn’t exist for the other quarterbacks in this year’s draft: He’s 28 years old.

At least, that would seem to be a red flag for Weeden, who played five years of minor league baseball before devoting himself full-time to football. Many teams will question just how long they could count on a 28-year-old rookie to last as their franchise quarterback.

But Weeden claims that after meeting with NFL coaches and executives individually and working out for scouts at the Senior Bowl, Scouting Combine and Pro Day, he has convinced them not to think about his age. Asked by the Oklahoman what he has proven in front of NFL scouts, Weeden said, “That my game translates to that level. That, and then that my age is a non-issue.”

In a year when we know Luck and Griffin are going 1-2 weeks ahead of the draft, and Tannehill seems to be moving up draft boards as the third quarterback, Weeden believes he has solidified his status as No. 4.

“I think every stop that I’ve made — Senior Bowl, Combine and then Pro Day — I’ve shown that I can do it,” Weeden said. “I think I’ve interviewed well, I ran pretty well, I threw well. I’ve done everything at each stop to help myself. The more I talk to teams on a one-on-one basis and I do interviews and have sit-downs and stuff, age is a non-issue. Of course in the media and all, everybody talks about it. It’s a big issue. But I promise you, what I’m hearing from teams, unless they’re lying to me, it’s not an issue.”

It’s easy to see why Weeden wouldn’t feel like his age is an issue. The question is if it’s really true that NFL teams view it as a non-issue as well. Weeden may be onto something when he suggests that NFL personnel people who tell him it’s a non-issue could be lying to him.

Permalink 30 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
30 Responses to “Brandon Weeden: “My age is a non-issue””
  1. jhart615 says: Mar 20, 2012 7:08 PM

uhhh….it clearly is…

2. jets4gold says: Mar 20, 2012 7:10 PM

IF you are drafted it would be late 6th round, MAYBE.. Then you would only be worth a 3rd QB or practice squad player.. Youmay not think so but your age is a HUGE factor as a rookie

3. fenrecords says: Mar 20, 2012 7:20 PM

He could always get a starting job with the Browns!

4. dv5454 says: Mar 20, 2012 7:22 PM

I bet Weeden watches “Murder She Wrote” on his VCR while he rides a dinosaur.

What I’m saying is Brandon Weeden is an old rookie.

5. dolfanatik says: Mar 20, 2012 7:24 PM

He’ll go in the 2nd

6. drumnw says: Mar 20, 2012 7:25 PM

thats what the people around john beck thought when he cam out of byu

7. rolltide510 says: Mar 20, 2012 7:29 PM

I think he’s right actually. Most quarterbacks don’t work out. If he has it (and I’m not saying he does), and becomes somebody’s franchise QB for 7-8 years, then it was a good pick. It’s not like he’s going to be a top 15 pick.

8. descendency says: Mar 20, 2012 7:38 PM

Oh, but it is Mr. Weeden.

1) at 28, you are at your physical peak. Not only does this make you tough to evaluate against 22 year old guys, but it means you have virtually no upside in the NFL.

2) At 28, you will be taking your first snaps in an NFL offense. It’ll take you a season to learn it and another to adjust to the speed of the game. And maybe another to even get a starting job.

Best case scenario, you are an average 31 year old QB. Do you know where those guys are? On couches, selling insurance.

9. Quixotically Delicious says: Mar 20, 2012 7:39 PM

Your age is a non-issue. Your double chin, however…

10. athanasios3337 says: Mar 20, 2012 7:41 PM

Most of us are better all-around athletes at 28 than we are at 2o or 21. I’d be a little concerned that part of the reason he excelled in college was because he was up against guys that were 7 or 8 years younger than him. That advantage disappears immediately in the NFL.

11. andreaallennyc says: Mar 20, 2012 7:45 PM

It’s an issue that will keep him from the first or second round, perhaps, but it would be a surprise for him to be around in the sixth. And it really doesn’t mean that the teams would be thinking of him as a third string QB. The age issue is a longevity issue, so it makes him worth less because he’ll have fewer productive years … But if he has the talent to develop into a starter, no one is going to say, gee he’s 28 so we’ll only use him as third string …

12. smartbutlazy says: Mar 20, 2012 7:46 PM

Peyton just signed on to age 41. Of course,this guy is not Peyton. If Weeden can do the job he still has a decade.

13. Christian says: Mar 20, 2012 7:47 PM

He wouldn’t even be on my draft board, assuming, of course, that some team hired a 37-year-old with no professional or collegiate experience as a GM. But at least MY age isn’t an issue.

14. canadianvikingfaniii says: Mar 20, 2012 7:47 PM

He should be a lot more mature than all the young guys coming to the league in their early 20′s. But then again, age doesn’t guarantee any maturity, look at the comments from people over the years on this site.

15. pilarvirus says: Mar 20, 2012 7:51 PM

If people keep on talking about it, believe me, it’s an issue.

16. thatguywhoisactuallyamiamisportsfan says: Mar 20, 2012 7:53 PM

Backups make good money too, my man. Just enjoy that you’re paying for your mistake of playing baseball by getting paid on an NFL sideline.

17. trollaikman8 says: Mar 20, 2012 7:57 PM

“…age is not an issue”
    -W.Allen

18. bozosforall says: Mar 20, 2012 7:58 PM

rolltide510 says:
    Mar 20, 2012 7:29 PM

__
    Exactly.

19. jeff d. says: Mar 20, 2012 7:58 PM

Agree with rolltide510. He either has it or he doesn’t. If he does, he will be a franchise QB for 7-10 years and it was a great pick. If not? Well, he ends up like the majority of other QBs in this league bouncing around from team to team.

Late first round, early second round.

20. Sandra Lee's Cans says: Mar 20, 2012 7:59 PM

Roger Staubach did OK.

21. jackshine says: Mar 20, 2012 8:03 PM

Maybe hes referring to getting into a bar.

“Its a non-issue, I havent gotten carded in two years,
    some of these guys in the draft cant even drink.. lame.”

22. daddyb1gdrawz says: Mar 20, 2012 8:04 PM

As a Dolfan, I will take him over Tanneyhill.

23. cotts1 says: Mar 20, 2012 8:47 PM

This has happened before. Everyone remember Chris Weinke?…didn’t turn out so well…..

24. bozosforall says: Mar 20, 2012 9:09 PM

Sandra Lee’s Cans says:
    Mar 20, 2012 7:59 PM
    Roger Staubach did OK.

__
    Nice frame of reference.

25. bozosforall says: Mar 20, 2012 9:11 PM

descendency says:
    Mar 20, 2012 7:38 PM
    Oh, but it is Mr. Weeden.

__
    Figures that an idiot Pats fan would be one of the naysayers here. But for your team lucking into a QB that you passed on six times before picking, choosing six busts ahead of him, your team would be in the running for a guy like Weeden.

26. pjcostello says: Mar 20, 2012 9:17 PM

He’s older, so won’t have the maturity issues a younger, hotshot QB will have.

He orchestrated the second-rated passing offense in college football in 2011.

He’s talented enough to make all of the throws a QB needs to make, with arm strength and — more importantly — brains.

He seems too talented to be a 3rd stringer, but I could see him as a career 2nd stringer, at worst.

27. madmax80 says: Mar 20, 2012 9:23 PM

If I was Weeden, I’d try to downplay my participation in the “Senior Bowl”. It just provides too much ammunition.

28. historicfacepalm says: Mar 20, 2012 9:25 PM

Chris Weinke got drafted in the 4th round, so it’s not like this guy will be undrafted. It’s certainly an issue, but it’s not unheard of.

29. gopokes0714 says: Mar 20, 2012 9:55 PM

Any team will be lucky to get him. he has a great arm and is a proven winner. look at the Colorado game when he came in a half time and won the game for OSU.

I wish and hope the best for him.

30. footballwizkid says: Mar 21, 2012 12:52 AM

1) It’s an issue.
    2) He’s the 3rd best QB in the draft & Tannehill isn’t even close (he won’t go before Tannehill in the draft though)
    3) good strategy to say its the TEAMS that are saying age isn’t an issue. He might provoke enough panic in a team to draft him earlier than what they think he should.
    4) Grades out as a high 2nd rounder but will be drafted in first. I’m thinking Cleveland with their 2nd pick in the first round.