Irsay congratulates Peyton for joining “tremendous organization”

Jim Irsay, Peyton Manning AP

Moments after it was reported that Peyton Manning has worked out his contract with the Broncos, Colts owner Jim Irsay offered a congratulatory message the old-fashioned way, instead of using his preferred medium of Twitter.

But Irsay’s message, distributed as a press release from the Colts’ PR department, wasn’t much longer than 140 characters.

“I congratulate Peyton as he heads to a tremendous organization in the Denver Broncos. We wish him nothing but the best as he continues his Hall of Fame career,” Irsay said.

The Broncos don’t play the Colts in 2012, so Irsay’s team won’t face the “tremendous organization” in Denver. Unless the Colts and Broncos meet in the AFC playoffs, in a game that would surely top even the Tebowmania-fueled TV ratings of two months ago.

Permalink 13 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Home, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill
13 Responses to “Irsay congratulates Peyton for joining “tremendous organization””
  1. nflofficeadmin says: Mar 20, 2012 11:56 AM

Let’s not forget that the Colts were a joke franchise before #18 arrived and they were terrible this past season. If Andy Luck is even a portion less than what they think he is, 2011 could be the new normal for Irsay.

2. tialen says: Mar 20, 2012 11:58 AM

Pretty funny how the bidding war for Peyton got so out of hand, that any team could have traded a 7th round draft pick to the Colts (before he got cut) and gotten him for a better deal, with no competition and Manning having no say.

Colts are probably kicking themselves for not getting some draft capital for him.

3. inbillwetrust says: Mar 20, 2012 12:03 PM

i hope andrew luck shats himself and irsay being a loud mouth idiot is confirmed

4. meytonpanning says: Mar 20, 2012 12:16 PM

Wow, this is the first article involving the name “Irsay” in the title that didn’t make me want to swallow porcupines!

5. dv5454 says: Mar 20, 2012 12:36 PM

Classy move.

6. colts01 says: Mar 20, 2012 12:42 PM

I have been a Colts fan longer then most of these guys in the league now. All I can say is Irsay made the right move. He had to move the franchise in a new direction and there were to many holes to fill to be competitive. Plus Peyton still hasn’t played a down yet so it’s anybody’s guess if he will make it through a full season. But as a Manning fan I hope he does great. Just sucks he went to my cousins favorite team the Donkeys now I will never hear the end of it!! :)

7. sdb74 says: Mar 20, 2012 12:46 PM

The Colts could not trade him. To trade him, they would have had to pick up the $28M bonus which would have then counted against the salary cap. The Colts only two options were to keep or cut Peyton.

8. guestsinger says: Mar 20, 2012 12:47 PM

nflofficeadmin says:

________________________________________________

I think Jim Harbaugh would take issue with your thoughts.

9. trollhammer20 says: Mar 20, 2012 12:48 PM

“Unless the Colts and Broncos meet in the AFC playoffs”

You know, I think Andrew Luck is going to be a heckuva football player, but I see no way in hell any rookie is going to get the Colts, as they currently exist, anywhere near the playoffs this season.

10. jjrs89 says: Mar 20, 2012 12:52 PM

The colts making the playoffs this year?

Thats adorable

11. sdb74 says: Mar 20, 2012 12:58 PM

You are right colts01. I’m a huge Colts fan too & have been going to Colts games since ’84. Irsay had no choice here. It was like a perfect storm. Irsay had to say goodbye to Peyton & go with Luck. Who would have ever guessed the Polian’s would have assembled a roster do awful that the Colts would get the top pick without Peyton? The Colts drafts the last 3-4 years have been awful. The Colts have to rebuild now & start over.

12. wallibr18 says: Mar 21, 2012 9:30 PM

It amazing how the Colts / Luck are already written off for 2012 and the Broncos / Manning have already won the Super Bowl. I am a Colts and Manning fan and want to see both succeed.
    But lets not put the cart before the horse / colt / bronco…
    Can someone say 2011 Eagles dream team???
    How did that turn out?

13. simplematt06 says: Mar 23, 2012 2:00 AM

This year hard decisions had to be made. For better or worse, they made them. Nobody ever woke up wanting to be the bad guy; nobody is perfect. I hope Irsay’s decisions surprise everyone and turn out to be fantastic. Meanwhile, I hope Peyton goes on to become the first quarterback to win a Super Bowl with two teams, and history is made again because of these decisions. All will be well again in time. Good “Luck” to all lol. I hope Andrew has a wonderful career and turns out to be even better than expected. But for now, I hope Peyton comes out refreshed, stronger than ever, and goes all the way. Mr. Manning, you certainly deserve it.