Peyton says he’d like to play with Tebow

Denver Broncos Introduce Peyton Manning Getty Images

Peyton Manning offered the politically correct answer when asked about Tim Tebow at his press conference in Denver today, saying that he likes Tebow, respects him and doesn’t want to be seen as the one who’s pushing him out.

And Manning made clear that if Tebowmaniacs don’t like to see their man leave down, they shouldn’t blame Manning.

“We really didn’t have any conversations in respect to the quarterback position,” Manning said. “I know there are decisions to be made. Let me just say this: I know what kind of player Tim Tebow is and what kind of person he is. I’ve gotten to meet him personally one time, and what an awesome year he had this year. If Tim Tebow is here next year, I’m going to be the best teammate I can be to him and he and I are going to help this team win games. If other opportunities present themselves to him I’m going to wish him the best. He’s going to be a great player wherever he is. Those are decisions that have to be made by other people. Those aren’t my decisions. And those conversations never did come up with me. This is a place where I wanted to come, play football and help this team win in whatever role or capacity that is.”

Asked if he has spoken to Tebow, Manning answered, “I’m sure I will. I haven’t yet.”

Tebow is expected to be traded soon, so by the time Manning does make time to talk to Tebow, he may not be a teammate any longer. But Manning said getting to know his teammates is an important part of his job going forward.

“I haven’t had a whole lot of time to debrief since this happened Monday morning,” Manning said. “I’m looking forward to getting to know all Broncos teammates. I met Eric Decker on my visit, Elvis Dumervil and Champ Bailey have been blowing up my phone for the past week and a half so hopefully that’ll die down just a little bit and I’ll look forward to getting to know them in person. But there’s not many other Broncos players I know personally.”

Permalink 71 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Denver Broncos, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
71 Responses to “Peyton says he’d like to play with Tebow”
  1. dv5454 says: Mar 20, 2012 3:48 PM

“I’m not playing with that Judas.”

-Tebow

2. cali49er707 says: Mar 20, 2012 3:49 PM

SAVE IT!!!

3. getadealdonealready says: Mar 20, 2012 3:49 PM

Me too, he would be a great LT

4. damnyoulinelliot says: Mar 20, 2012 3:50 PM

It would be like Joe Montana and Steve Young all over again. Drama 24/7

5. tramonisland says: Mar 20, 2012 3:50 PM

that’s a lie and just peyton saying the “right things”.

6. bucfansouthtampa says: Mar 20, 2012 3:51 PM

Smart move on his part. I can actually see that happening, Peyton starting and Tebow as backup. Class act.

7. sullijo1 says: Mar 20, 2012 3:52 PM

In related news, Brady Quinn or Matt Cassel will be the started in KC.

Funny.

8. bucrightoff says: Mar 20, 2012 3:52 PM

I bet you do Peyton

9. seahawksfan25 says: Mar 20, 2012 3:52 PM

I’m sure they all discussed Tebow.

10. sullijo1 says: Mar 20, 2012 3:53 PM

started = starter….whoops

11. oren120 says: Mar 20, 2012 3:53 PM

When questioned further about Tebow, Manning asked, “He’s my tight end, right?”

12. yamchargers says: Mar 20, 2012 3:55 PM

Eric Decker “Hi I am Eric Decker!”

Payton Manning “Eric who??”

We have seen Payton lift the Colts on his back when all his receivers were injured. But is this Payton the same Payton? Its going to be interesting.

13. indywilson40 says: Mar 20, 2012 3:56 PM

Manning doesn’t have to take responsibility for pushing Tebow out of Denver. Tim Tebow’s lack of QB talent pushed Tebow out of Denver.

14. vegaskid21 says: Mar 20, 2012 3:56 PM

As a Tebow fan, Please let this come true!

15. packerman1968 says: Mar 20, 2012 3:57 PM

Funny he could have stayed in Indy and had a real qb behind him for a few years.

16. mnajb says: Mar 20, 2012 3:57 PM

In all seriousness, Tebow as a halfback for Manning would be a pretty sweet combo.. However, I have a feeling Tebow might just let someone slip by on blindside pass protect…

17. rc33 says: Mar 20, 2012 3:58 PM

Peyton says he’d like to play with Tebow

———————————-

A mere 24 hours after he told Elway “I’ll sign but make sure that #15 circus isn’t still going on here when Training Camp rolls around.”

18. 2dollarpbrs says: Mar 20, 2012 3:58 PM

Sounds like a donkey already

19. indywilson40 says: Mar 20, 2012 3:58 PM

yamchargers, We don’t know that “Payton Manning”. The new Bronco’s QB is Peyton Manning.

20. crp63 says: Mar 20, 2012 3:58 PM

First exchange will be Peyton asking Tebow if he would like an aisle seat in first class,or a window in coach…….

21. davoider says: Mar 20, 2012 3:59 PM

damnyoulinelliot says:
    Mar 20, 2012 3:50 PM
    It would be like Joe Montana and Steve Young all over again. Drama 24/7

————

Actually, it wouldn’t. Montana and Young are both HOF, Super Bowl winning QBs. Tebow is a guy no one is convinced even deserves to be a starting QB, he has a VERY long and improbable road ahead of him before anyone starting putting him in Montana or Young’s class.

22. chc4 says: Mar 20, 2012 3:59 PM

Nice headline. I only want to play with hot chicks but that’s just me…

23. stanklepoot says: Mar 20, 2012 4:00 PM

yamchargers says: Mar 20, 2012 3:55 PM

Eric Decker “Hi I am Eric Decker!”

Payton Manning “Eric who??”

________________________________
    Nope, I can guarantee you that no matter what he won’t be Payton. He will most certainly be Peyton, however.

24. tonyromoisterrible says: Mar 20, 2012 4:00 PM

Good God! You could write a dissertation on that fivehead.

25. jaimelh02 says: Mar 20, 2012 4:01 PM

Seyton Manning strikes again!

26. suckleague says: Mar 20, 2012 4:01 PM

“And Manning won’t get the chance to get to know Tebow personally. Because whether he wants to take responsibility for it or not, Manning has pushed Tebow out of Denver.”

Um, no, the ownership did by initiating a pursuit for Manning.

27. skoobyfl says: Mar 20, 2012 4:03 PM

Peyton: It’s time to meet your maker.

28. bucfansouthtampa says: Mar 20, 2012 4:03 PM

@yamchargers-
    Its Peyton not Payton. Payton is the Coach for the ‘Taints who is going to be suspended for two seasons.

29. jbaxt says: Mar 20, 2012 4:04 PM

The AFC West is looking like a worst to best division next year. if Manning gets some weapons watch out. KC looks good, Oakland, and San Diego just need to finish. With Tebow Denver had no chance next year.

30. stanklepoot says: Mar 20, 2012 4:04 PM

Seriously though, what was Manning supposed to say? Did we expect him to come out and say “Yeah, that Tebow kid is just horrible. Why do you think they came after me so hard?” Peyton is a professional. When asked a question like that he’s not going to say anything negative. He’s going to be polite and let the team do what it needs to do. Everyone knows Tebow is gone, it’s just a matter of where he’s going.

31. numberoneinthehoodg says: Mar 20, 2012 4:04 PM

10 to 1 odds in Vegas. For those taking that wager, Lick my lollypop suckers. This press conference shows that there’s more to the story than shown. Nobody, not Elway or Manning looked very happy or content to be there.

Something is wrong here but I just can’t put a finger on it. (that’s what she said).

32. sean6886 says: Mar 20, 2012 4:05 PM

He was talking about checkers. He’d like to play checkers with Tebow.

33. theysone says: Mar 20, 2012 4:06 PM

“Peyton says he’d like to play with Tebow”

Immediately pictured Peyton as the catholic clergyman, and Tebow as the little choir boy.

34. nflofficeadmin says: Mar 20, 2012 4:07 PM

OooooWeeeeee Elway starting to get defensive when asked about decision to get rid of Tebow.

35. liner1900 says: Mar 20, 2012 4:07 PM

Love the fact that the Broncos are going back to orange as their primary jersey color. The Orange Crush should always be orange.

36. sonopazzo6 says: Mar 20, 2012 4:08 PM

Philadelphia Eagles QBs 2012

1. Michael Vick
    2. Tim Tebow
    3. Trent Edwards

Let Kafka write a book or something!

37. bn2n2me says: Mar 20, 2012 4:11 PM

the admins of this site are some b!tches..

38. tmkelley1 says: Mar 20, 2012 4:11 PM

Why trade TT? Put him at the knee of the old master for a couple of years. By then, the old master is 38. TT is a fierce competitor and I’ll bet he would relish learning the craft from the best ever. Then the Horses would have a fabulous situation.

39. 808raiderinparadise says: Mar 20, 2012 4:12 PM

“Peyton says he’d like to play with Tebow” ….

looks like they are ponys not broncos.

40. portlax12 says: Mar 20, 2012 4:14 PM

What else was he supposed to say?

41. babyhorsemorgan says: Mar 20, 2012 4:14 PM

Timmy going to win more games this season than Potatohead and Horseface will.

42. boilerup1869 says: Mar 20, 2012 4:15 PM

I hope Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Deron Williams, LeBron James, and Chris Paul all read this quote so they can see how a dignified professional conducts himself when it comes to team matters.

Enough me-first nonsense.

43. trojan33sc says: Mar 20, 2012 4:18 PM

………..AND the Smoke Screen from the Spin Machine begins…………….i mean what the heck else is Peyton expected to say ????

44. jimr10 says: Mar 20, 2012 4:18 PM

Really amazed at the really stupid comments made on her both about Peyton and Tim..

45. klutch14u says: Mar 20, 2012 4:20 PM

You had me at the title.

Seriously though, welcome to the scrappy AFC West. Everyone talks smack about our division being weak but wait until you play in it. We beat the piss outta each other so there isn’t much left come playoff time.

46. jamaltimore says: Mar 20, 2012 4:23 PM

That’s about as believeable as when he stated at the Colts press conference that he hasn’t thought about where he’ll play next!! I think had he not gone to the bronco’s I wouldn’t have cared but this move appears more about getting rid of Tebow than it is about OVERPAYING for Manning!

47. whodeydaytonchapter says: Mar 20, 2012 4:24 PM

Why would the one of the best quarterbacks to ever play the game have to apologize to the poorest passer currently in the game (albeit a great competitor). It makes no sense to me that anyone has the sack to bash Peyton for saying yes to a job offer.

48. liner1900 says: Mar 20, 2012 4:25 PM

Manning is the class of the NFL, not Tebow. Not even close.

49. maxinquaye7 says: Mar 20, 2012 4:26 PM

@yamchargers

Eric Decker “Hi I am Eric Decker!”

Payton Manning “Eric who??”

Eric Decker “Well, you know how everyone’s getting excited about you throwing the ball to DT?”

PEyton Manning “Yeeeeeeeesssss…..?”

Eric Decker “I’m the guy who caught more passes for more yards and more touchdowns last year than DT.”

Peyton Manning “Sweet. Ouch.”

The Entire Broncos Organization “What was that?”

Peyton Manning “Nothing,”

50. gimmeabruschi says: Mar 20, 2012 4:27 PM

Manning did Tebow a favor. Getting away from Elway is good for Tim Tebow.

51. wetpaperbag3 says: Mar 20, 2012 4:28 PM

bucfansouthtampa says: Mar 20, 2012 3:51 PM

==================================

Don’t hold your breath. The Bronco brass is smart enough to get rid of Tebow as a once again polarizing figure. Tebow is the reason they went after Tebow. He’s NOT an NFL quarterback and very well never may be. He’s too undisciplined in his reads, mechanics, and his decision making in a pro style offense.

Tebow is as good as gone. It’s just a matter of if he’ll be traded or if the team will cut their loses, buy him out and release him.

52. dexterismyhero says: Mar 20, 2012 4:29 PM

==================================
    Wrong, his play did.

53. raiderinva says: Mar 20, 2012 4:32 PM

Manning wont even let Timmy have an oreo, let alone have him as a team mate.

Could you image Seyton Manning looking into the stands and seeing more #15 then #18? He would flip his size 32 lid.

54. ohnothatguy says: Mar 20, 2012 5:05 PM

Dont let tebow go.. It would be a mistake. If manning would get hurt he can step right up. He can also come in on wildcats or trick plays. I think the broncos would be dumb to let him walk. Use him in special packages. He can run he can catch. Use him!

55. waltdawg says: Mar 20, 2012 5:16 PM

Like a cat plays with a dead mouse?

56. bspurloc says: Mar 20, 2012 5:18 PM

they better keep Tebow around as Peyton is not going to survive past which ever of these teams they are scheduled to play first….
    Falcons, Ravens, Steelers….

first sack and bye bye peyton… of course there is a 1000% chance the first person that touches peyton 3 yellow flags get thrown

57. stew48 says: Mar 20, 2012 5:19 PM

My vote for the only qb in Unitas quality is Manning, P. BUT, get him another number; the #18 in Denver is retired, period. A disgrace, but not surprising from the likes of Elway.

58. jacksaysfu says: Mar 20, 2012 5:21 PM

How could any team pay $96 million to any player
    whose had multiple serious neck surgeries and may never be the superstar he used to be . He could still be great but IMO that’s wayyyy to much $ to pay for a 36 year old major risk . They threw away a 1st round pick(Tebow) and will very soon probably have to use another high pick on another QB cause Peyton is up there in years . I wish manning the best but I think the Broncos just made a $96 Will

59. jacksaysfu says: Mar 20, 2012 5:22 PM

How could any team pay $96 million to any player
    whose had multiple serious neck surgeries and may never be the superstar he used to be . He could still be great but IMO that’s wayyyy to much $ to pay for a 36 year old major risk . They threw away a 1st round pick(Tebow) and will very soon probably have to use another high pick on another QB cause Peyton is up there in years . I wish manning the best but I think the Broncos just made a 96 million dollar mistake .

60. drumsomeone says: Mar 20, 2012 5:28 PM

Tebow fall was caused by the same thing that caused his rise: Screaming Tebow fans who are not Broncos fans

61. nflhof says: Mar 20, 2012 5:31 PM

It’s not Payton it’s Panty Manning and his sister Sheli.

62. deconjonesbitchslap says: Mar 20, 2012 5:35 PM

not a lot of QB’s who win their division and win a playoff game are booted off the team.

Tebow was nothing but exceptional to the Broncos. criticize the throwing all you want, they won a playoff game…on HIS pass.

Denver, i have a feeling this might really bite you in the ass.

63. rodgers419 says: Mar 20, 2012 5:56 PM

Tebow has a better chance of putting on 80 pounds and converting to left guard than he ever has at becoming a serviceable NFL QB.

64. bozosforall says: Mar 20, 2012 6:05 PM

nflhof says:
    Mar 20, 2012 5:31 PM
    It’s not Payton it’s Panty Manning and his sister Sheli.

__
    The Mannings and their three SB rings combined laugh at losers such as yourself, peewee football hall of shame.

65. ahs2 says: Mar 20, 2012 6:15 PM

Should read said it as “teammates”…hes being pc

66. tdrizzle74 says: Mar 20, 2012 6:36 PM

Nowhere in that quote does it say “I’d like to play with Tim Tebow” just because you say you’ll be a good host doesn’t imply you want house guests.

67. strokeytheclown says: Mar 20, 2012 6:37 PM

I am a big Elway fan, but I don’t like this. All Tebow did for this organization was win games, and put butts in the seats. He knocked out the “vaunted” Steelers in the playoffs, he almost singlehandedly got people excited about Bronco football again, and Manning is gonna be playing like a broken chandelier. Ok, bring Manning in, who is your back-up? Tebow may be no Elway or Manning, but he wins gamers, period!

68. savagenation2011 says: Mar 20, 2012 6:42 PM

B.S. Peyton. Just like it’s not about money.

69. aahhyeahsucka says: Mar 20, 2012 9:09 PM

biggest load of bs ever. Seriously? The guy who’s nut job fan base goes out and starts booing Orton in practices before he’s even thrown a pass during regular season? You didn’t mention or talk about that AT ALL in your “talks” with Elway and co. ? And I’m even a Manning fan, but you know that dumping the Tebowo circus was a conditionfor him signing in Denver. He’s probably got to PC and all sure. But, “yeah I wish we could play together…” and “I never talked about Tim during my talks…” Give me a break.

70. jjbadd says: Mar 21, 2012 2:18 AM

I shouldn’t say this, but it’s no wonder his neck bothers him…look at that massive head! Damn!

71. rc33 says: Mar 21, 2012 12:53 PM

nut job fan base
    ———————–

Laughable.
    Ever been to a game in Indy while Manning was a Colt?
    THE worst fans in all of sports.