Vikings sign fullback Jerome Felton

Getty Images

Vikings fans had been hoping that the team would use a modest cap bulge in the range of $20 million to acquire a big-name player or two.

Last week, the Vikings added tight end John Carlson, giving him a $5 million signing bonus as part of a five-year, $25 million contract.  Nice contract, but not a big-name player.

They’ve also brought back a couple members of their defensive line rotation, in Letroy Guion and Fred Evans.  Again, not big-name players.

They’ve signed running back Lex Hilliard from the Dolphins.  (Do I need to mention whether he’s a big-name player?)

The most intriguing development came when the Vikings signed cornerback Nick Taylor, a fleet-footed former point guard at Florida International.

Most recently, the team signed veteran fullback Jerome Felton.  The Vikings announced the acquisition of the latest not-big-name player on Tuesday night.

After entering the league as a fifth-round pick of the Lions in the 2008 draft, Felton has played for Detroit, Carolina, and Indianapolis.

The Vikings apparently have a plan to build conservatively and carefully, but that won’t sell tickets and it won’t generate excitement and it won’t nudge the powers-that-be toward green-lighting the construction of a new stadium.

62 responses to “Vikings sign fullback Jerome Felton

1. Can you blame them? Spending big on free agents in the past (see Farve, Brett) and going almost all the way to the superbowl has got them nothing but empty rhetoric when it comes to the stadium issue. Why spend any more money until a deal is done?

2. 8. Loser: Vikings.

Good teams can afford to sit on the sidelines in the early days of free agency. The Vikings are not a good team.

———————————————

Just an appropriate brief reminder of what deficient cretins the vikequeens are.

3. What the hell is Rick Spielman doing? Is obsessed with following the Ted Thompson blueprint of no free agents and building through the draft? Takes a little of both genius,,,

4. i guess my vikes like getting blown out by the packers and are comfortable with being at the bottom of the division for years to come..you know if your not committed to going for it all why not trade ap while your at it? your wasting years in his prime to rebuild? im starting to not like my vikes choices

5. As a die hard Leo’s fan, I completely forgot about this guy until I saw this post.

It’s a soft, off-season nudge of a reminder that things a looking up in the D.

6. Oooohhhhh boy, I get more and more excited for next season every day! This is fantastic! While we’re at it, maybe we can Tjack back?

7. Both AP and Gerhart run better without Fullbacks, Vikes usually had multi role tight ends who could fill both positions. He won’t be a goallline back either because AP already does that well. I was okay with signing Carlson because Ponder only had Rudolph and Harvin as receivers but this is confusing to me.

8. Vikings fans last year: “Why don’t the Vikings learn to build a team with the draft and from within like the Packers and Patriots?” Vikings Management this year: “We’re going to build the team from within and with the draft.” Vikings fans this year: “Why can’t the Vikings sign a big name free agent?”

This is why fans are fans, and not running an NFL team. 10 draft picks and the #3 pick. Not to mention a damn easy schedule. I’ll crucify the Vikings after the 2012 season…if they haven’t improved from last year.

9. This is frustrating. I understand the long term approach but current management has not shown that it can hit on any other picks then an obvious first round pick. The least you could have done was draft a big name player to generate excitement and get the damn stadium built. I just hope the vikes arent building a hell of a team for a different state.

10. conormacleod says:
    Mar 20, 2012 9:34 PM

—————————-

This is because people are fearful of Spielman still at the helm, making said draft decisions. His track record is pretty worrisome.

11. Spielman is just reinforcing the belief that he is a clown and doesn’t know what the hell he is doing. All of these signing have been a joke. Our entire front office is screwed, and our head coach is a wannabe… Another painful season as a Vikings fan upcoming.

12. hey gb4mno and carl your team did real great drafting that’s why you did not make the playoffs for 20 years also the vikings have won the division more than any team in it so we do own the division!!!do you two fudgepackers have anything else going on you have to comment on every viking post!!!

13. conormacleod says:Mar 20, 2012 9:34 PM

_________________________________
    I think this is more of a display of how inept Speilman and the front office of Vikes is. It’s not that they are intelligent and proceeding the proper way through this, it’s they have no clue what they are doing.

I’ll ask you how you expect the team to get better when the only possible improvement is hope for late round hits in need positions, something that the Vikes have never been good at. To be like the Pack or Pats you need a top flight organization that can find the diamonds in the rough. It would have been nice if they even entertained the idea of bringing in even a decent WR, OL, or DB. I mean cmon, Landry signed a 1 year deal for $4 million. That is absolutely no committment, but an immediate improvement. They didn’t even talk to him as far as I know.

They honestly should trade Petersen if this is the approach the vikes are taking. Unfortunately they can’t with that contract even if he was healthy. I feel sorry for him. He is going to have it worse than Barry Sanders did for all those years. His legacy will be fumbling away the NFC Championship game. I know there were many other reasons for the loss, but even with the messed up crap the Saints were doing and the incredible amount of officiating help the Saints recieved, take out those fumbles and we are in the Super Bowl.

There has been nothing positive about this off season so far. It makes me fear that the Wilfs (who historically have had no problem spending if they thought it would help us win) are positioning to move or sell the team. I hope I’m wrong on all this and they prove me wrong, but my gut tells me nothing good can come from the recent activity.

14. gb4mn0 says:
    Mar 20, 2012 8:57 PM
    8. Loser: Vikings.

———————————————

———————————————

Another reminder of the maturity level of Pacqueef (look how original I am) fans….well, this dum bass anyways.

15. Yeah, Zygi signing in big names and spending millions on them has clearly shown it’s what it takes to get a stadium. (That’s sarcasm)

Right now I can’t stand vikings fans and the whiners in MN who want everything, unless it comes from their pockets.

Right now I’m fine with sitting back and watching it all unfold. Hopefully there is a good ending or step in the right direction…

16. Hey Spielman , WHAT IN THE HELL ARE YOU DOING? You signed who ?,and for how much ? and he played where ? I’ve lost my hair-because I just pulled the rest of it out !! Poll question on the Vikings, how many blackouts will there be because of non sellouts ………………I’ll say four ..

17. This just in: an NFL team has 53 guys dressed for Sunday’s. Some of them run wild and are All Pro like AP. Some of them are ditch diggers, block for the Pro Bowlers, and break up the wedge. All 32 teams need some of each. And, I’ve said it a thousand times in the last week and a half, an NFL team doesn’t have to sign guys in the order of need.

18. gb4mn0 says:Mar 20, 2012 8:57 PM

8. Loser: Vikings.

———————————————

duece5 says:

It is VERY important to note the time of the post-8:57PM, from our favorite closet Viking fan, gb4mn0, as mommy told him …”lights out, dear, it’s almost 9PM!!……time to get your Star Wars jammies on……it’s night night!!”

gb responds: “Mommy, can I write one more note on pft about my team, the vikings……..err the packers?”

“Sure, honey……but please understand, PFT rarely writes anything about the packers……sorry dear!”

“That’s ok mommy, you know it’s OUR secret that I’ve always liked the Vikings! …..Don’t tell daddy!”

To that, mommy replies: “You win again…..you can put on your Vikings jammies……I know they are your favorite!”

“Yep….don’t tell daddy……OK?”

Sweet dreams, gb4…….

19. Its ok gb4 when rodgers gets another concussion and is done for the year or his career, football will lose a hell of a qb but your team will suck without a marquee qb just like you did all through the 80’s until you drafted farve.

20. gb4mn0 says: Mar 20, 2012 8:57 PM

8. Loser: Vikings.

———————————————

—————————————-

The last time you posted this was better. Maybe you should try for a little more originality. You do have more than one original thought per week, right? Oh….sorry. As you were, then.

21. What an embarrasment this team is. What happened in just 2 to 3 short years. I see us being the Lions of the last decade. Rick Spielman is the new Matt Millen.

22. Hey Posters, This is getting SILLY, I don’t think theres a coach among us, But we all sure know what is good for the Vikes, Don’t we! Half of you guy’s are so upset that you can’t complete a settence corectly. The same guy’s jumping ship when it get’s a little tough! will be the same guy’s saying the knew the Vikes made the right moves! Wholly, bat fart batman!!

23. @conormacleod thank you!! So right. If you really think signing Cortland Finagin or Vincent Jackson would make us a contender your a fool. We are in a rebuilding phase and you need to accept that. We will draft players that will provide starers for our key positions in years to come.

@youallrfools, you are a fool. Who can we possibly sign to make us playoff worthy? Why waste money on a player now? We will draft strategically and get pro-bowl caliber players in the draft. In defense to Rick Spielman, Brad Childress had all of the power in the organization over the years. Judge Rick off of what happens now. Now he has the overall power. Do you have any idea how many players are still on our roster today since Rick started working for the Vikings since he started in 2006? Compare it to current teams.

24. It is not Beijing.

It is not Los Angeles.

It will be the Guadalajara Vikings.
    The NFL’s first international team.
    In 2010 a new 2 billion peso stadium was completed in Guadalajara. The Omni Life Stadium would be perfect as the stadium logo is purple and gold.

25. Even though it would’ve been nice to fill some holes in free agency, I’ll give the Vikes the benefit of the doubt that they can run the team better than I……unless they sign trade for Tebow, then I’ll be pissed.

26. Hes not too bad at short yardage situations with that bein said.. well i guess thats all i got.

27. With their off-season signings, it looks like they intend to run the ball a lot and pass only when necessary. They’re signing a lot of blockers. I’m ok with their strategy for now because a lot of teams are overpaying free agents. They need to conserve their money because they have so many holes to fill.

28. While I agree that teams need special teams players and role players, the Viking are also in dire need of some legitimate difference makers in three specific areas; Offensive line (tackle and multiple guards), Wide Receiver (need AT LEAST one tall WR target with good hands), and the defensive backfield, with two new starting safeties and at least one corner.

Spielman has addressed NONE of these concerns in Free Agency. Are we supposed to believe that we’re going to find 6-7 new starters in this year’s draft?

Sometimes big name free agent signings work out pretty well. This team should know that; Antoine Winfield, Pat Williams, Darren Sharper were all difference makers for this team within the past ten years.

However, Spielman seems content on passing on Free Agency in terms of adding starters, and building soley through the draft. Problem is, you’ve got several veterans on this team (including Peterson), who will be over the hill by the time the rebuilding phase is over. This of course assumes that Spielman actually hits on his draft picks, which requires a rather extraordinary leap of faith.

Good luck selling out your home games this year, Rick. Pretty weak statement by a team that wants a new stadium built.

29. now that the triangle of authority has been removed from the system (worst management decision ever), Spielman will be able to be judged fairly as to whether he is a true gm or not. id like to think Childress was a loose cannon on draft day ie moving up to draft Tjack. god i hope that was Childress and not Spielman.

30. pappavike says:Mar 21, 2012 12:32 AM

____________

I agree with this comment, but I just wanted to point out that it’s probably the best combination of misuse of commas, apostrophes, capitalization, and spelling I’ve ever seen.

31. dnasby –

When did I say that signing a free agent would make us playoff worthy? It does make sense to go after a proven offensive lineman to help protect your supposed future franchise QB. Or maybe a young receiver who said QB can throw to. Either of which could be signed past 2012, not sure if you knew that. Or even a defensive back to make sure that its a little less painful against a feirce NFC North passing attack (such as my example of Landry, who signed a 1 year contract).