Gregg Williams apologizes again for his role in Saints’ bounty program

former-new-orleans-saints-defensive-coordinator-gregg-williams-allegedly-orchestrated-a-bounty Getty Images

When the NFL initially announced that it had concluded that the Saints used a system of bounties from 2009 through 2011, former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams (now with the Rams) issued an apology.  Now that he has been suspended indefinitely (and at least for a year), he has apologized again.

“I’d like to again apologize wholeheartedly to the NFL, Coach Fisher, the entire Rams organization and all football fans for my actions,” Williams said in a release issued by the Rams.  “Furthermore, I apologize to the players of the NFL for my involvement as it is not a true reflection of my values as a father or coach, nor is it reflective of the great respect I have for this game and its core principle of sportsmanship.  I accept full responsibility for my actions.  I highly value the 23 years that I’ve spent in the NFL.  I will continue to cooperate fully with the league and its investigation and I will focus my energies on serving as an advocate for both player safety and sportsmanship.  I will do everything possible to re-earn the respect of my colleagues, the NFL and its players in hopes of returning to coaching in the future.”  (At least he didn’t try to call it a “mistake” this time.)

Rams coach Jeff Fisher said earlier on Wednesday that the team was not aware of the bounty situation in New Orleans when Williams was hired in January.  If that’s the case, it’s odd that the Rams haven’t fired him.

Perhaps the Rams eventually will.  “We’ll cross that bridge when we come to it,” Fisher said Wednesday, pointing out that Williams never would have been hired if the team had known about the looming suspension.

If the inconvenience of an upcoming suspension would have been enough to scare the Rams away from hiring Williams, a full and complete appreciation of what he did to merit the suspension should be more than enough to prompt the Rams to fire him.

Permalink 57 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, St. Louis Rams
57 Responses to “Gregg Williams apologizes again for his role in Saints’ bounty program”
  1. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Mar 21, 2012 5:01 PM

Say what you want about him, but he has beautiful hair.

2. khuxford says: Mar 21, 2012 5:02 PM

Well, they don’t have to pay him while he is suspended and he can’t sign elsewhere or discuss signing elsewhere. Why needlessly give up that control or leverage? When have you ever seen an NFL owner/team give up control so quickly?

3. blacknole08 says: Mar 21, 2012 5:02 PM

How bout an apology to Kurt Warner, Brett Favre, and the other guys heads you tried to take off? Such a disgrace.

4. rascalmanny says: Mar 21, 2012 5:04 PM

Well, just let some players bang up your legs and knees for life and we’ll call it even.

5. Sam Von Schamm says: Mar 21, 2012 5:06 PM

Roger Goodell has once again proved that he is the worst commissioner in the history of American sports.

He let the Patriots off the hook and has been trying to compensate for his mistake ever since then by suspending anyone for anything.

If the Steelers don’t win the Super Bowl, I will certainly root for the Saints to win it all.

6. bearsstillsuck says: Mar 21, 2012 5:07 PM

He shouldn’t be allowed back on the field, but maybe be eligible for a gm type of job if he does fully cooperate.

7. zonedogz says: Mar 21, 2012 5:07 PM

Dr. Heat feels the heat!

8. 307ninerfan says: Mar 21, 2012 5:09 PM

Hopefully he never gets to be back in the nfl!!!

9. Quixote says: Mar 21, 2012 5:11 PM

“We will look into firing Gregg Williams as soon as we finish looking for the cat named Tebow that got out of this bag, he was over here near Sam Bradford’s locker…”

10. sbxxix says: Mar 21, 2012 5:13 PM

You should have given this speech weeks ago before you received your penalty instead of that “beat around the bush, no apology, owner saving” speech. Come clean before you get caught with your hand in the cookie jar with a full stomach and an empty glass of milk

11. santolonius says: Mar 21, 2012 5:13 PM

if you do something for THREE years, you cannot then turn around and say when you get caught “this is not who i am.” how stupid does he think we are?

12. jason1980 says: Mar 21, 2012 5:15 PM

Apology to Kurt Warner and Brett Farve?? Why is it that the only fans whining here are from loser fan bases?

13. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Mar 21, 2012 5:15 PM

WHAT? Where is the apology to the Saints etc? Peyton may have let it happen, but this is how you pay him back for giving up part of his salary to get you? (I know Peyton got refunded in the end). You say nothing to the Saints, or Tom Benson who you cost TWO draft picks? This guy isn’t a man.

14. jets4gold says: Mar 21, 2012 5:16 PM

I thought he denied the whole thing from the start? He’s only sorry he got caught. He could care less what happens. He keeps his ring and glory from the SB.. Rings trophy and banner should be taken away

15. Quixote says: Mar 21, 2012 5:18 PM

Jason, I root for the NY Giants, Gregg Williams ought to never work in the NFL again.

He DOES owe Warner and Favre an apology.

16. jxegh says: Mar 21, 2012 5:20 PM

“Not a true reflection of my values as a father and coach” Huh? Is that like “I lied to you but I’m not a liar” or “I murdered someone but I’m not a murderer”?

17. thetooloftools says: Mar 21, 2012 5:21 PM

I’ll say it again. I Love the bounty system (except for causing injury). Anything to make these overpaid titty babies play harder is fine with me. You think the millions they are paid would be enough. That is why I really liked the XFL where the winners of the game get paid more then the losers.
    That would make the NFL so much better. No “taking plays off” when $ is 0n the line.

18. blacknole08 says: Mar 21, 2012 5:21 PM

Jason1980, I’m not whining but I know an empty apology when I hear one. And did you not see pictures of Favre’s ankle after the NFC championship game?

19. Quixote says: Mar 21, 2012 5:23 PM

jxegh, or “I have kinky videos of your feet on the internet but I’m not a perv”

20. olcap says: Mar 21, 2012 5:23 PM

I’ve lost some respect for Fisher now, as well. WTF kind of statement is “We wouldn’t have hired him if we knew of the looming suspension”, so I guess that means if you knew of his bounty programs, and you also knew that he wouldn’t get suspended, you still would have hired him? Sorry Jeff, you’ve lost a fan.

21. markod52 says: Mar 21, 2012 5:27 PM

This is the same guy who every week during the season was always talking smashmouth in the media. Of course, on Sundays he stood safely on the sideline. A coward then and a coward now.

The only NFL personnel that should talk tough are the ones who go out there and put themselves in harms way.

22. eaglebobby says: Mar 21, 2012 5:28 PM

Sam Von Schamm–you MUST be a Saints fan. I am no Pats fan, but how can you compare what the Pats did to what the Saints did? For three years, they compromised player safety. For what? A few hundred dollars at the end of the week and swinging the competitve nature of games in their favor. The NFL has identified the QBs who had bounties on them as Favre, Warner, Rodgers, and last year, Cam Newton, a rookie. That’s ridiculous. Yeah, the Pats lost 1 first round pick, and Belicheck lost 500K and the organization lost another 250K. But Payton enabled a system that not only threatened the health of opposing players, but also their very careers.

23. harbourimages says: Mar 21, 2012 5:29 PM

“The Devil made me do it….” ; )

24. bobulated says: Mar 21, 2012 5:36 PM

IMHO Williams has essentially been banned for life; an open ended suspension, he’s in his sixties and will be too radioactive to hire for most organizations.

25. bobulated says: Mar 21, 2012 5:38 PM

Oops, my bad I aged him 10 years… NVM!

26. slickmarine says: Mar 21, 2012 5:40 PM

thankheavenfornumberseven says:Mar 21, 2012 5:01 PM

Say what you want about him, but he has beautiful hair.
    ____

Wow. I sure hope you’re a girl…

27. harrisonhits2 says: Mar 21, 2012 5:44 PM

Yeah, apologize first to the team you almost worked for and their fans, not the players you had intentionally injured.

I can think of a more hollow fake apology that I’ve ever heard.

Hope they never allow you back in the league you piece of filth.

28. chawk12thman says: Mar 21, 2012 5:45 PM

Is it only the “looming suspension” that gives Fisher pause about Williams? What about the bounty program itself?

khuxford: He is suspend indefinitly, so there is no control to be given up by firing Williams. He can’t work for, contract with or consult for any other team. Even if he could, no team would want him, right now.

Firing him for his actions and not the “looming suspension” should have been the call in St. Louis. Right is right.

29. thehighhat says: Mar 21, 2012 5:46 PM

I’m sure Williams is crying in his cereal right about now.

30. nineroutsider says: Mar 21, 2012 5:48 PM

I was really looking forward to the 9ers playing his sorry a$$ defense twice a year…

31. Sam Von Schamm says: Mar 21, 2012 5:53 PM

Eaglebobby:

I’m not a Saints fan, having grown up in Pitttsburgh. You’re upset that the Saints “compromised player safety” for “A few hundred dollars”.

Yes they did. My point is that Goodell chooses when to pretend to be outraged and when to ignore the exact same violations of the rules.

Consider: After a Steelers-Ravens game in ’08, Terrell Suggs was asked by a radio host: “Did y’all put a bounty out on that young man?” (The “young man” was R. Mendenhall, whose collarbone was broken by Ray Lewis).

Suggs replied: “Definitely. The bounty was out on him, and the bounty was out on Hines Ward. We just didn’t get him between the whistles.”

NFL exec VP Ray Anderson’s responsed by saying: “That ‘bounty’ notion is completely against the rules. To the extent that someone is engaged in that activity, we will look into it and address it.”

Goodell “addressed” it by ignoring it. NOW however, bouties are evil. Why did ignore what the Ravens ADMITTED doing?

As to your comment about the joke of a punishment the Patriots had to deal with after Spygate, if you assume he gets paid after each game, Belichick made that money back after game two or three. As if he cared.

They were also stripped of the LOWER of their two first round picks. Oh, the pain of it all.

32. jjbadd says: Mar 21, 2012 5:53 PM

I hate the Saints..but this is far too excessive, and just wrong. Yall stop whining for Favre, he’s my hero and he didnt cry about it..

33. dpants5 says: Mar 21, 2012 5:56 PM

No matter what this guy does, he’s gonna have a black cloud floating over his head for the rest of his career… which, after today might be over. At least at the NFL level. Wouldn’t be surprising to see the Rams fire him and any team afterwards that takes a gamble on him just isn’t gonna wanna deal with the scrutiny of hiring him and having him on their staff.

34. juliusanonymous says: Mar 21, 2012 5:57 PM

nineroutsider says:
    Mar 21, 2012 5:48 PM
    ———————————

Yeah me too. It was like a guaranteed annual earthquake followed by skittles showers.

Pretty pathetic what the Seahawks did to his vaunted defense BOTH times we played them in 2010.

35. mx429 says: Mar 21, 2012 6:11 PM

“not a true reflection of my values as a father or coach, ”

Yet another lie. These were activities he planned, carried out and continued, even after the NFL investigation began. Not only a liar, but stupid as well.

36. notdoingwork says: Mar 21, 2012 6:11 PM

This fool is only sorry he got caught!

37. starderup says: Mar 21, 2012 6:12 PM

What a scumbag. It is only fitting that he was a member of the Stains when they ‘won’ their big game. Now, that trophy has to have an asterisk engraved upon it.
    *********************************************************

*********************************************************
    meaning something that was aquired through cheating.

38. electionconfidential says: Mar 21, 2012 6:14 PM

Williams is unrepentant. He has been warned and continued to lie and disobey league officials. I don’t care how many times he says he’s sorry. He’s just sorry he’s being punished. I think he should have been started with at least a 5 year ban if not lifetime. How many time does the league need to tell you something??

39. slippyal2 says: Mar 21, 2012 6:19 PM

I think it’s interesting that he never mentions the Saints or anyone from that organization.

40. seahawkhuskyfan says: Mar 21, 2012 6:19 PM

This is the only team in the NFL that had/has such a system in place…………………..

41. getyourownname says: Mar 21, 2012 6:20 PM

Soon to come, a penalty on the Skins for Williams’ bounty duruing his tenure there. And another apology.

42. truthhurtstoo says: Mar 21, 2012 6:20 PM

eaglebnobby… you sound like a hopeless homer. Why do paties fans whine the loudest when questioned about cheating?

Baby Brady has been overally protected for years by the refs as well. Just admit it and get on the road to recovery.

43. lennydpocketqb says: Mar 21, 2012 6:25 PM

He should be a man here and add the addition, “for being caught”. This guy is pure scum and his name should be stricken from the league.

44. kerc1986 says: Mar 21, 2012 6:34 PM

Lol at the hair comment first of all.
    He should be ban for life I don’t mind big hits, but doing it on a pre plan way to injured somebody, that’s just lowest of the low, and idk who is writing his apologies cause they suck big time.

45. granadafan says: Mar 21, 2012 6:35 PM

Sounds like Williams is a perfect candidate for some SEC team. They will pay off players any way they can.

46. thegonz13 says: Mar 21, 2012 6:42 PM

I’m sorry too, Gregg… sorry about your damn luck!

47. footballnut2011 says: Mar 21, 2012 6:49 PM

This goofball should get banned for life.

48. patriotinvasion says: Mar 21, 2012 6:51 PM

Well, the commissioner has spoken. Spygate was no big deal. Those signals were in plain view of 70,000 people every Sunday. BountyGate is on a different level.

49. Patriot42 says: Mar 21, 2012 7:09 PM

I think Goodell had to do it.

50. mselby83 says: Mar 21, 2012 7:25 PM

He’s only apologizing because he got caught and will soon very soon get fired

51. bassrecord says: Mar 21, 2012 7:31 PM

Since Goodell took away the Saints next two 2nd round draft picks, because the Rams lost Williams, the Rams should get both of those picks plus another 3rd round compensatory pick. It’s only fair. The Rams lost a lot and Williams did not even get to set up his bounty system in St Loo much less win a Super Bowl yet. Jeeze! We got robbed!

52. daabird says: Mar 21, 2012 7:38 PM

so long fool, Greg Williams…Who DAT???

53. purpwalk says: Mar 21, 2012 7:59 PM

what did he pay his lawyer to write that apology?

54. pacificnw7722 says: Mar 21, 2012 8:08 PM

Dat picture of him has “Sweep the Leg” written all over it…………

55. paulieorkid says: Mar 21, 2012 9:13 PM

What Gregg Williams is sorry about, is that he got caught. He wasn’t sorry winning Lombardi hardware and illegitimately destroying the dreams of a number of other playoff hopefuls.

And with an indefinite suspension in place, he floats out an apology like this simply to feign contrition – and hopefully (for him), mitigates matters for himself so he can be on NFL sidelines that much sooner.

The common bond in all of Williams’ conduct: they’re all to benefit Williams. Even his protracted web of lies was to cover his backside.

Not a real stand up guy when you think about what he’s about.

56. mulehead70 says: Mar 21, 2012 9:44 PM

Here’s some ideas for jobs that Williams can do during his suspension (whether it’s 1 year or lifetime):

– He can always take the Happy Gilmore approach and endorse Subway. The script would go something like this:

Williams (to player) – “Son, are you hungry? Would you like a Subway foot long?”

Player – “Yeah, coach, I love Subway!!”

Williams – “Well, go out there and break that quarterback’s leg, and I’ll get you a foot long!”

OR….

He can be the new spokesman for Bounty papertowels.

57. tombradyswig says: Mar 21, 2012 11:20 PM

indefinitely my butt!!
    This scumbag should be banned for life!!
    I hope someone breaks his knees!