Cedric Benson says goodbye to the Bengals

Cedric Benson AP

Bengals offensive coordinator Jay Gruden indicated in January that free agent running back Cedric Benson wouldn’t be welcomed back in 2012. The team’s signing of BenJarvus Green-Ellis made Benson’s departure all but official.

In an item posted on the Bengals’ website Thursday, Benson bid the Bengals farewell.

There are no hard feelings, I loved my time there,” said Benson, who has drawn little to no interest on the free agent market. “I can’t thank the fans enough for the way they supported me. I am so forever grateful for the recommendation that I think came out of Chicago and for Marvin [Lewis] believing in me and for the Brown family for giving me a chance.”

Benson’s goodbye was classy, and his tenure in Cincinnati should be considered a success. The former first-round pick had the look of an early-career bust with the Bears, but Benson turned his career around with the Bengals, rushing for over 1,000 yards in three of four seasons.

Benson remains upbeat, despite the glacially slow market for his services.

“I’m staying positive, optimistic,” he said.

Permalink 71 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Cincinnati Bengals, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
71 Responses to “Cedric Benson says goodbye to the Bengals”
  1. sportsmeccabi says: Mar 22, 2012 8:17 PM

I think his success had more to do with that awesome offensive line of theirs.

2. steelcityrapist says: Mar 22, 2012 8:19 PM

THANKS CED. BEST OF LUCK!
    KEEP OUT OF TROUBLE

3. emmac13 says: Mar 22, 2012 8:20 PM

Browns need a rb. I hope they do not fill it with the 4th pick. I want Blackmon, Morris C, or Kalil. Kalil on top of list.

4. gotampabay52 says: Mar 22, 2012 8:20 PM

Come to tampa run with blount

5. steelcityrapist says: Mar 22, 2012 8:21 PM

Still should have gotten Michael Bush!

6. thevza says: Mar 22, 2012 8:21 PM

7. vikingdoode says: Mar 22, 2012 8:22 PM

Vikings could use you in case AP is done….

8. ncbengalmike says: Mar 22, 2012 8:22 PM

And I say goodbye to you. Thanks for giving it up for the Bengals. Not the greatest back in the world and got slow after the pounding but you did good until you started fumbling.

9. steelcityrapist says: Mar 22, 2012 8:22 PM

BENGALS WIN AFC NORTH IN 2012

10. kingbeason52 says: Mar 22, 2012 8:23 PM

the poor mans Marshawn Lynch..atleast he was classy about it..

11. 808raiderinparadise says: Mar 22, 2012 8:23 PM

no market for you. then welcome to Oakland on the cheap :)

12. bigmike7914 says: Mar 22, 2012 8:24 PM

The crazy part about it is that Green-Ellis isn’t an upgrade at all, in my opinion they down graded.

13. marshawnlynchlookslikepredator says: Mar 22, 2012 8:24 PM

Come to the Raiders as the number 2 and on the cheap, of course

14. raiders11 says: Mar 22, 2012 8:24 PM

Oakland???

15. morgan420 says: Mar 22, 2012 8:25 PM

you did us solid man honestly. i live here in cincinnati andi have my whole lfe. i watched you play every game i watched and i never once had harsh comments to scram at my tv toward you, it was that #9 guy i cant remember his name “sarcasm”. to be honest i wouldnt have been upset at all if they resigned you, but thats the business i guess. fairwell cedric
    WHO-DEY!!!

16. jpb12 says: Mar 22, 2012 8:25 PM

Modern day Corey Dillon.

17. chocopoppy says: Mar 22, 2012 8:25 PM

Good luck to you Ced. This was one of those deals where the player and team benefited. A fair wage was paid and fair effort was given.

18. whitecastleisafoodgroup says: Mar 22, 2012 8:25 PM

Wish he showed the same in Chicago. But I wish Cedric well.

Mr. Benson, welcome to the Dallas Cowboys. ;)

19. whodey28 says: Mar 22, 2012 8:29 PM

I hope Ced lands a gig somewhere. He ran hard for the Bengals. I’m surprised the Browns have not picked him up. If any team should know the potential of his services its them. He had good games baking the brownies!

20. asublimeday says: Mar 22, 2012 8:29 PM

I don’t think recommendation mean what you think it means.

21. 69finfan says: Mar 22, 2012 8:30 PM

Cedrick, become a receiver and come to the Dolphins. Oh that’s right “No One” wants to play for the Fins.

22. cashisking4life says: Mar 22, 2012 8:30 PM

maybe he can sign with the patriots, they always need veteran backs no one wants. the bengals take the law firm and the pats get benson. i still think benson has a few good yrs in him if he can keep his act together and stay out of trouble

23. trbowman says: Mar 22, 2012 8:33 PM

He’s still bust. If you’re a running back and you’re taken that high in the draft, you better be damn good.

Benson was a respectable starter but never elite.

24. mclovin07 says: Mar 22, 2012 8:34 PM

Don’t drink and drive you’re boat! ;)

25. upyoursnfu says: Mar 22, 2012 8:35 PM

Why? Did he get a life sentence?

26. vikingsinla says: Mar 22, 2012 8:36 PM

With a significantly better Forte available, and no team really desperate for an RB with all those miles, Benson has hit the market at the exact WRONG time.

He is advised to brush up on his special teams skills if he wants to make a 2012 roster.

27. butkus54 says: Mar 22, 2012 8:37 PM

… love to see the Lions bring him in for look on a 1 yr. deal … sounds like the money he’d ask given his circumstance wouldn’t be ridiculous and he’d give the team some insurance if Jahvid Best or Mikel Leshoure ( or both ) can’t make it back in 2012.

28. steelcityrapist says: Mar 22, 2012 8:38 PM

GUESS YOU CANT RUN ALL OVER THE RAVENS D ANYMORE.

29. sadskinsfan89 says: Mar 22, 2012 8:40 PM

what about new england

30. staffordsyear says: Mar 22, 2012 8:41 PM

Lions could use some rb depth..eh?

31. beltlessbuckler says: Mar 22, 2012 8:42 PM

Best of luck Ced, hope you catch on somewhere. I never knew you had a humble side.

32. bigzant82 says: Mar 22, 2012 8:42 PM

my browns dont need a semi busted trouble-some rb
    we need fresh legs guess we goin with richardson at #4

33. dannyalanbishop says: Mar 22, 2012 8:46 PM

How can you say Green-Ellis isnt an upgrade over Benson. Green-Ellis 4yrs w/Patriots 0 fumbles. Benson 4yrs w/Bengals 15 fumbles…..I guess turnovers isnt everything only flashy players matter these days

34. bearsrulepackdrool says: Mar 22, 2012 8:47 PM

Wow, we took yo sorry but to the Super Bowl and you show that sorry city love? Man whatever.

35. whodeydaytonchapter says: Mar 22, 2012 8:50 PM

Good luck to Ced. He had some solid years for us, but RB’s don’t age like wine.

36. firejerry says: Mar 22, 2012 8:52 PM

No one needs a back who can average 3 yards per carry, won’t block, can’t catch and is is a whiny bitch. In addition he cannot stay out of trouble!!
    Go spend the $15 million you screwed the Bears out of…….

37. babyhorsemorgan says: Mar 22, 2012 8:54 PM

Ready to begin his second career as Cedric The Street Corner Entertainer.

38. rnazriel says: Mar 22, 2012 8:58 PM

NYG would welcome you CB.

39. itsmebobd says: Mar 22, 2012 8:58 PM

Ya know what, I was a cedric benson hater last year, thought he complained too much, but for benson to sacrafice his body and to be this classy after everyone, the fans, the coaches, his team mates all turned on him for simply being DONE as a RB, he sure is a classy guy. Thanks cedric, We love you, lest we not forget you like we did rudi johnson before you! You will go down as one of mike browns great redemption projects!

40. vikingsinla says: Mar 22, 2012 8:59 PM

41. peoplesrepublic0fdabayarea says: Mar 22, 2012 9:01 PM

sign w/ the Niners so we can cut dixon & his dumbass tweets

42. brownsfandrinkingmakersmark says: Mar 22, 2012 9:03 PM

@bigzant82 – I wouldn’t worry too much about the Browns getting him. Not sure they know that free agency started.

Besides, 1000+ yards in 3 of 4 seasons??? That’s a little too productive for this front office.

43. radrntn says: Mar 22, 2012 9:10 PM

once your ready to sign a one year deal at the league min call reggie.

44. lilmidas says: Mar 22, 2012 9:11 PM

pittsburgh’s in need

45. jeremycrowhurst says: Mar 22, 2012 9:12 PM

He’ll get picked up. One of those “I’m gonna get 2500 yards” prima donnas will blow an ACL before the end of September, and Cedric is pretty much the best option left, even at this point.

Really have to admire the way the guy turned it around — not unlike his one-time teammate Thomas Jones, he woke up one day, found a work ethic, and made good on his potential.

46. nflfollower says: Mar 22, 2012 9:13 PM

Does he catch the ball out of the backfield?….can he pass block effectively from shotgun formation? If so, then the lions could use him. If not, he’s wrong for the system they run.

47. sixburghrules says: Mar 22, 2012 9:22 PM

Good luck BJGE facing the Ravens & Steeler D 2X a year! Bungles didn’t know what they had

48. challer9 says: Mar 22, 2012 9:24 PM

For a couple of million a year he’d make an ideal back up and change of pace to Ray Rice now that Ricky retired. Plus be able to stick it to his old team twice a year. Makes sense.

49. asublimeday says: Mar 22, 2012 9:25 PM

———-
    Forte isn’t available. Thanks for playing.

50. denverscott says: Mar 22, 2012 9:27 PM

“thevza says: Mar 22, 2012 8:21 PM

I heard the Bears Defense could use another tackling dummy during training camp….”
    Oh good, you got our offer sheet. Tell your Mom to don’t let you forget your special helmet when she drops you off. And please, don’t bring your Smurfs lunch box, you know you’ll get teased.

51. jivinitrotton says: Mar 22, 2012 9:30 PM

hahahaha id say good bye to the bungles too

52. profootballwalk says: Mar 22, 2012 9:31 PM

bigmike7914 says: Mar 22, 2012 8:24 PM

———————————————–

53. 4dabears says: Mar 22, 2012 9:31 PM

I said goodbye to that turd long ago!

54. detroitcityryda says: Mar 22, 2012 9:55 PM

Lions are re signing smith he showed when healthy last season he can be a force running between tackles and on screens too .best and lashoure will be back and fully healthy .dont see us signing benson .but u can say with those 3 back and finally good running game plus megatron ,young, burleson we will have so many threats teams won’t know what hit em . unlike last year where we relied mainly on Our passing game and defenses knew what was coming .

55. loytomaki says: Mar 22, 2012 10:10 PM

As a Packer fan I would welcome him into the fold. He has been productive and we all know that with each passing day his services will be affordable. Any team looking for a backup or shared role player should look at him. Hell Minnesota could use him to help bridge the gap if AP starts. On the pup list.

56. phillychzstk2012 says: Mar 22, 2012 10:45 PM

i’d be cool with him backing up LeSean McCoy..he was still useful and pretty productive last year

57. staffordsyear says: Mar 22, 2012 10:55 PM

@detroitcityryda

That would be the perfect scenario,couldnt agree more.But kevin smith and jahvid best healthy for the whole year? I have my doubts and i hope i get proven wrong,Im thinkin leshoure is gonna have a great year if the rehab is goin as planned..kids the next stephen jackson..anyway back to this whole bengal thing,ha.

58. dlmcc1010 says: Mar 22, 2012 10:55 PM

Kind of a downgrade if you ask me. Im not a huge Benson fan but I have to think hes better than BenJarvus

59. thefiesty1 says: Mar 22, 2012 11:15 PM

Anybody that can get out of Cincy I say more power to them. Bottom feeder owner makes them the worst franchise in the game. Anywhere would be better for Benson.

60. foosballisthedevil says: Mar 22, 2012 11:18 PM

Benson remains upbeat, despite the glacially slow market for his services.

Tiki is flabergasted

61. andyreidisfat says: Mar 22, 2012 11:29 PM

I say new England. But benson could end up anywhere. I still think he can get a team 1000

62. howiehandles says: Mar 22, 2012 11:34 PM

Poor man’s Lynch? They’re both overrated. Lynch only produced to get that contract, and Benson is average at best. Wasted 1st round pick, yet another by Angelo.

63. clayton43 says: Mar 23, 2012 12:07 AM

OK Since I am a Steelers fan, I dont usually give much props to Bengals Browns or Ravens teams for anything and I normally wish ill will on thier teams and people that play for them… but i liked Benson and I will say this… if he was on a better team overall ( not a knock on the Bengals at all ) … his production and stats would have been alot better. Playing from behind often takes the RB out of the game. He would be a perfect fit for a team that is pretty solid and needs a guy to pound the ball. He may not be a top elite running back anymore, but I do think he can help a team out that needs that guy or a closer. A large part of the reason Cincy went elsewhere is because he doesnt want to split carries, he will or needs to accept that and needs to play a role…. not being” the guy “… I would love for the Steelers to pick him up on the cheap .. but I have a feeling the Pats, Packers, or Giants picks him up.. Again, for him to be successsful at this time, he will need to be on a good team and split carries and be a role player or else he will be out of the league in 2 years… Good luck to him and I dont really think BJG is any kind of upgrade but BJG appears to be more of a team player without the drama so I think will be a better fit for Cincy… Out

64. cup0pizza says: Mar 23, 2012 12:12 AM

Classy message on his part. He’s worth a shot for some team.

65. samoanjungle says: Mar 23, 2012 12:34 AM

Thanks Ced. You did well here. Good luck.

66. samoanjungle says: Mar 23, 2012 12:37 AM

@profootballwalk

“Football Outsiders ranked Green-Ellis #18, Benson #45 out of 51. G-E had 11 TDs, 0 INTs. Benson had 6 and 5. That’s a major upgrade.”

I’m pretty sure neither of those guys had any INTs since they don’t pass or play Defense.

67. Andre's Johnson says: Mar 23, 2012 12:47 AM

Ten potential landing spots:
    Patriots
    Raiders
    Cowboys
    Giants
    Cardinals
    Browns
    Colts
    Bucks
    Steelers
    Broncos

68. djaehne says: Mar 23, 2012 2:06 AM

Hey Cedric, come back to Houston. We could always use another set of legs and you were
    great here in college.

69. 3ghostninja says: Mar 23, 2012 6:50 AM

Detroit as a dark horse destination? The running back situation there is tenuous with one coming off a concussion and the other coming off an achilles tear.

MoMo was good in spots and KSmith deserves another shot with a full training camp, but it’s hard not to think about bringing in a runner of Benson’s caliber — especially given that he turned things around nicely.

70. ernie ernie says: Mar 23, 2012 9:18 AM

This guy would be an upgrade to Ryan Grant whom I thought the Pack would have dumped by now. I think Grant’s contract is coming up any day now and they either pay him or cut him.
    I think his days are done in GB but who knows. With TT he will try and get him to take a pay cut.

71. rickt113 says: Mar 24, 2012 11:38 AM

Benson would look Great in a Steeler uniform to work in tandem with Redman ! He also could rub it in the Bengals face twice a year !