Introducing PFT’s first-ever Managing Editor

12148350 Getty Images

It’s been a memorable couple of weeks for us.  Four of the five highest days of site traffic have come in the past eight days.  On Wednesday, perhaps the zaniest day of any offseason in NFL history, a record 1.179 million unique visitors came to the site.

In the past, I’ve thanked each of you for helping us generate numbers I never could have imagined or expected.  Today, I need to properly thank and recognize the folks who help us set the table with compelling content for you to enjoy, complain about, or both.

For starters, we’re thrilled and proud to announce that the longest-tenured writer in PFT history whose name doesn’t rhyme with a certain 100-year-old cookie has become our first-ever Managing Editor.  Michael David Smith joined us on a part-time basis in March 2007, contributing significantly to PFT and our sister site, CFT.  After a brief departure during his full-time employment with AOL Fanhouse (they signed him to an offer sheet that we had the cap room but, pre-NBC, not the cash to match), MDS returned to PFT on a part-time basis in September 2009.

MDS has now become a full-time member of the team, and he’s officially in charge of the day-to-day operations.  (Which means I’d better get my act together.)

As you know, MDS consistently produces quality work, without exception.  He works hard and he works fast and he is one of the most easygoing and even-keeled guys I’ve ever met.  It’s a privilege to have him in such a key role.

We’re also happy to announce that long-time part-time contributor Josh Alper will have a more prominent role in producing content, as will Evan Silva, whose tireless efforts within the past 10 days did not go unnoticed by me — and hopefully not by you.  Also, Adam Levitan and Chris Wesseling of Rotoworld helped out with the daily one-liners last week, and you may see more from them as time goes by.

“I’ve read PFT every day since late in 2003, when I started my job at Rotoworld,” Rosenthal said last week via email.  “I will continue to read PFT every day now that I’m leaving.  For the last three years, I was lucky enough to write for my favorite site while rarely wearing pants.”

Rosenthal also had a message for PFT Planet generally: “Thanks for making fun of my age, pointing out my typos, and telling me that I look like Kevin Arnold.”

Gregg, thanks for your many contributions and for always being a good sport, and for eventually learning to dish it out along with gracefully taking it.  We’ll miss you.

But at the same time the train must keep rolling.  After 10 years, PFT has now become something that will thrive even after I’m no longer involved with it.  Which hopefully won’t happen until I’m at least six or seven times as old as Rosenthal looks.

Finally, I know what some of you are thinking.  If PFT is a writer down, there may be an opening.  This isn’t a call for submissions or inquiries.  We already have explored several possible additions, and we may explore more.  Fortunately, that’s one of the many administrative burdens that NBC takes off our plate.

Given the explosion of football-related developments this month, our plate is already more than full.  And we’ll do our best to keep your plate full for those moments when you have an opportunity to dial us up and see what’s happening with the greatest sport in the world.

PFT remains at its core a small operation, and as a wise man recently suggested I’ll never lose the hard-headed “start-up” mentality that helped launch it in 2001.  We know we wouldn’t be here without you, and we thank you for including us in your daily routine.

Permalink 33 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
33 Responses to “Introducing PFT’s first-ever Managing Editor”
  1. nukaten says: Mar 22, 2012 2:04 PM

We thank you for having a kick-ass format. A real un-biased opinion (sometimes), and a love of the game just like we have.

2. bearsrulepackdrool says: Mar 22, 2012 2:05 PM

Congrats!

3. r0b1b0y says: Mar 22, 2012 2:07 PM

I hate 100% of your Viking biased Saints hating commentary…..but I love PFT, thanks for putting in the work….now go to hell

4. benh999 says: Mar 22, 2012 2:08 PM

“The changes were sparked by the fact that Gregg Rosenthal, long-time Rotoworld editor who began contributing to PFT upon the launch of the NBC partnership, recently left the NBC family for NFL.com.”

I thought the articles were uncharacteristically coherent lately. Hopefully NFL.com can afford an editor for him.

5. KIR says: Mar 22, 2012 2:10 PM

It would be much better if you had a reply button and post comments a little more quicker. I do understand that you have to screen for the crazy’s with their inappropriate comments/political ideologies.

6. sj39 says: Mar 22, 2012 2:11 PM

What will he edit?

7. noeffinway says: Mar 22, 2012 2:23 PM

So does this mean that you all now have to write your Lions articles in a manner that casts them in a bad light?

8. nekelund says: Mar 22, 2012 2:23 PM

Welcome to the new guys! It sucks that Rosenthal left, but, hey, at least you can now serve alcohol in PFT headquarters without having to ask Gregg to wait outside.

9. jackntorres says: Mar 22, 2012 2:25 PM

Adios to Gregg. He gives Tulane a bad name.

Josh I like your work. Don’t slack, keep it up.

Evan, well, do you have any mentors?

10. hwatt says: Mar 22, 2012 2:27 PM

honestly, nfl.com is a downgrade from pft. That place is a zoo filled with all types of unprofessional fluff stuff. It’s doing ‘family friendly’ all wrong imo. I mean they were running stories on witches when it was Tebow vs Brady, the usually-lame ‘N if L’ series… it’s hard to find content worth reading. You’d think the internet face of the league would carry itself better.

So hopefully they’re hiring him to right the ship over there.

11. pellucov68 says: Mar 22, 2012 2:28 PM

Why don’t you bring the picture of the day section back????

12. nflofficeadmin says: Mar 22, 2012 2:34 PM

…And then the suits walked in a ruined everything.

13. 2greatgoldens says: Mar 22, 2012 2:34 PM

Thanks Mike (and the rest of the team) for hands-down the best place to get the inside scoop on all things NFL. And good luck Greg — we’ll miss you!

14. thekingdave says: Mar 22, 2012 2:49 PM

Rosenthal’s gone? RIP any rational Houston Texans related post.

15. brianbosworthisstonecold says: Mar 22, 2012 2:51 PM

Conggratulations Gregg!

16. AlanSaysYo says: Mar 22, 2012 3:05 PM

I assume this is all happening so Mike can be on TV and caddy for Peter King and Tony Dungy more often, then swoop in every once in awhile with moral-authority editorial.

2:1 this doesn’t get past the comment czar.

17. udtfrogmanvet says: Mar 22, 2012 3:07 PM

Is the managing editor editing my post?

18. brohamma says: Mar 22, 2012 3:10 PM

Mike.. do NOT forget the roots of YOUR site. I understand the business aspect of the Sprint then NBC thing and have given you props for that throughout, it is a job well done in all aspects.

Always be the one holding the biggest club in your hand at meetings.. Managing Editor or not.

Congrats Gregg! Just avoid any cameras while you are standing among some of the ex-NFL players… pee-wee.

19. winningisabrees says: Mar 22, 2012 3:14 PM

I remember watching MDS on Around the Horn years ago. Liked him then like him now.

20. medtxpack says: Mar 22, 2012 3:14 PM

this site rules.

21. babyhorsemorgan says: Mar 22, 2012 3:15 PM

You can’t get rid of MDS. He’s like a disease.

22. east96st says: Mar 22, 2012 3:16 PM

First job MDS, fix the damn thumbs up/thumbs down glitch! Tired of trolls getting four thumbs down when you know there’s fifty guys clicking thumbs down and watching it reset to four.

23. quizguy66 says: Mar 22, 2012 3:27 PM

Whoa, PFT is gonna have someone edit stuff now?!?!

Seriously, though congrats on the new gig. This site’s come a long way.

-QG

24. bigvinnyinjax says: Mar 22, 2012 3:35 PM

You have a great site. I come here every day to anger myself by your comments on tarps, blackouts, and LA relocation.

25. bearsstillsuck says: Mar 22, 2012 3:40 PM

To keep you big operation competitive with the big dogs, maybe you should start selling “non” stock.

26. mvp43 says: Mar 22, 2012 3:55 PM

I’d like to thank myself for contributing to this great site and offering to its readers my vast knowledge of the game we all love.

Thank you!

27. cleverbob says: Mar 22, 2012 3:57 PM

PFT is awesome, except for all the obvious bias against the Ravens, Bengals, Browns, Steelers, Bears, Lions, Packers, Vikings, Texans, Colts, Jaguars, Titans, Falcons, Panthers, Saints, Buccaneers, Bills, Dolphins, Patriots, Jets, Cowboys, Giants, Eagles, Redskins, Broncos, Chiefs, Raiders, Chargers, Cardinals, 49ers, Seahawks and Rams…

Also, quit being such lapdogs for the Ravens, Bengals, Browns, Steelers, Bears, Lions, Packers, Vikings, Texans, Colts, Jaguars, Titans, Falcons, Panthers, Saints, Buccaneers, Bills, Dolphins, Patriots, Jets, Cowboys, Giants, Eagles, Redskins, Broncos, Chiefs, Raiders, Chargers, Cardinals, 49ers, Seahawks and Rams…

28. tnsteve says: Mar 22, 2012 4:18 PM

You will want to update your About page which states “We don’t have editors, we don’t have agendas, we don’t owe anyone anything and we don’t care.”

P.S. So, does MDS report to MF or the other way around?

29. kungfubillysims says: Mar 22, 2012 4:23 PM

Now if you could just get him to stop hating on the Lions so much……..

30. Deb says: Mar 22, 2012 6:17 PM

Congratulations, MDS!! Best of luck in your new position!!

31. msdurai says: Mar 22, 2012 8:36 PM

I’ll miss Rosenthal. He knows his stuff.

32. Gridiron Grit says: Mar 23, 2012 2:56 AM

Keep up the great work, guys!

You’re an inspiration to young, entrepreneurs, editors and sportswriters like myself.

33. joetoronto says: Mar 23, 2012 6:30 AM

MDS wakes up earlier than the rest of them, that accounts for something, I guess.