Andrew Luck exudes confidence at Pro Day

Andrew Luck AP

Andrew Luck turned in a solid effort at Stanford’s Pro Day and appeared to do the things he needed to do to remain the favorite to be the first overall pick in the 2012 NFL draft, as he has been since the day he announced he would stay at Stanford in 2011.

Afterward, Luck exuded confidence when talking about what he had just done.

I’m confident in my own football skills,” Luck told NFL Network. “I’m very confident that I can go out there and make every throw that needs to be made.”

Luck threw 50 passes for the assembled NFL scouts and, despite the windy conditions, had only four incompletions, three of which his receivers got their hands on. He said he was satisfied.

“I think I wanted to come out here and put my best foot forward in front of the scouts,” Luck said. “I thought I did that. I thought I made the throws I needed to make.”

If the Colts agree, Luck has nothing left to do other than wait a month and become Peyton Manning’s successor. Worst-case scenario, Luck will go second overall to the Redskins.

Permalink 38 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
38 Responses to “Andrew Luck exudes confidence at Pro Day”
  1. mitchitized says: Mar 23, 2012 10:23 AM

Going to the Redskins IS the worst case scenario, regardless of pick.

2. TaiwanMike says: Mar 23, 2012 10:26 AM

It’s a lot easier to have a good day and “exude confidence” when there aren’t 80,000 in a harsh environment rooting against you while eleven defenders that are all college all-stars wanting to rip your head off only after confusing you. These Pro Days don’t mean a whole lot. We already know that he is the best QB in the draft. What else is there to show?

3. Stiller43 says: Mar 23, 2012 10:27 AM

Its funny…generally when someone says “worst case scenario…” its not really a bad scenario, just not as favorable as the best case…

But going to play for dan snyder truly is the worst case scenario.

4. hashsview says: Mar 23, 2012 10:28 AM

What?!? No scrappy prison beard? Mr. Luck you are dropping on my draft board fast with the absence of it.

5. realnflmaster says: Mar 23, 2012 10:29 AM

Luck in 5 years = Superbowl Champion
    RGII in 5 years = Arena League

6. clintonportisheadd says: Mar 23, 2012 10:30 AM

Why have the Colts not signed him?

7. waitingguilty says: Mar 23, 2012 10:37 AM

I get the redskins jokes…but if any of you wise crackers don’t think the redskins offer a better chance for either of these guys than the Colts then you are kidding yourselves.

8. jackm79 says: Mar 23, 2012 10:40 AM

Clearly not an nflmaster if u thing rg3 will be in the arena league.

RG3 is the better player. Better arm, more accurate, better athlete. Just as smart. Go ahead with the thumbs down. But Griffin is gonna be a stud from day 1. And I hate to say that because I’m a fan of the champs.

9. bringbacktheflex says: Mar 23, 2012 10:46 AM

I’m on the West coast. I’ve seen Luck play. He’s a very good QB. But when Stanford played USC Luck wasn’t the best QB on the field.

Luck is slow making decisions. He doesn’t look off the safeties. He doesn’t always see the LB lurking underneath on the mid-range routes. It doesn’t matter about arm strength.

Luck is not the savior that the NFL would like him to be. And he’s going to a team that has NOTHING around him. He’ll be lucky indeed if he gets to the playoffs in his 7th year.

10. nflofficeadmin says: Mar 23, 2012 10:47 AM

Discussion needs to be how are Colts going to protect their precious No.1 pick.. Shellshock is real, it destroyed David Carr.

11. smartanis says: Mar 23, 2012 10:48 AM

Please let Luck go to the Colts. I’d rather face him twice a year for the next 10 years than RG3.

12. cowboyhater says: Mar 23, 2012 10:48 AM

Stiller43 says: Mar 23, 2012 10:27 AM

But going to play for dan snyder truly is the worst case scenario.

———————————————————————————–

He would play for Mike, and Kyle Shanahan. Not Dan Snyder. It’s funny how all the haters continue with those remarks. You must be a fan of a team that doesn’t have a shot at a franchise QB. Sorry to hear that.

13. das14 says: Mar 23, 2012 10:49 AM

You can’t throw when you’re on your back. If Luck goes to the Colts…ever heard of David Carr?

14. rickastleydancemoves says: Mar 23, 2012 10:50 AM

If it was RG3, you people would be saying it’s arrogance.

15. castleofcheese says: Mar 23, 2012 10:52 AM

“Worst-case scenario, Luck will go second overall to the Redskins.”

That’s a pretty terrible worst case scenario, from Luck’s perspective. Sorry, skins fans….

16. gmsalpha says: Mar 23, 2012 10:56 AM

I truly believe if new GM Ryan Grigson can put a solid team around Andrew in the next 3-4 years, the Colts can win 3+ Super Bowls in the Luck era. I think he’ll turn out to be just that good.

I think RG3 will be more popular though. He’ll definitely make a lot more in endorsement money, and he’ll go to his share of Pro Bowls, though with Rodgers, Eli, Brees, and Cam Newton all fighting for spots in the NFC, it won’t be a cake walk.

My feeling is that both guys are going to be very successful. Both teams are going to be terrible to begin with, so really it comes down to who they’re surrounded with. Bad O-Line = David Carr. Tons of staff/OC changes = Alex Smith.

17. deangelo1776 says: Mar 23, 2012 10:58 AM

The Colts are in worse shape than the Redskins. I don’t know why anyone thinks that the “worst case scenario” is the Redskins.

I mean, the Colts sucked on both sides of the ball.. At least the Redskins have a respectable defense!

18. txndave says: Mar 23, 2012 11:00 AM

Welcome to the AFC South..

Brian Cushing is licking his chops..

19. cowboyhater says: Mar 23, 2012 11:01 AM

bringbacktheflex says: Mar 23, 2012 10:46 AM

—————————————————————————————–

20. circlecity185 says: Mar 23, 2012 11:04 AM

As a colts fan i think either one of these guys are going to be studs. Its all in the supporting cast. Right now the skins are making the right moves. Hopefully the colts take their heads out of their a** and get some more WR, a RB, and TE.

21. jroman11 says: Mar 23, 2012 11:10 AM

realnflmaster says: Mar 23, 2012 10:29 AM

Luck in 5 years = Superbowl Champion
    RGII in 5 years = Arena League
    ————————————————-

Who’s RG2? Is that Griffin’s little bro?

22. 4thquartermagic says: Mar 23, 2012 11:11 AM

Anyone who views the job in Indy as better then the one in Washington is an idiot.

Following in the footsteps of Rex Groosman is much easier then Peyton Manning.

And outside Reggie wayne and Freeney, indy has no players.

23. trueski21 says: Mar 23, 2012 11:15 AM

The colts are in pretty bad shape. The owner is a joke and showed the world during the whole Peyton-Rob Lowe fiasco. People are just so used to them being respectable because they had Manning the past 14 years, now that he’s gone it’s back to 1-15 Lindy in Indy days.

24. sterilizecromartie says: Mar 23, 2012 11:19 AM

bringbacktheflex says:Mar 23, 2012 10:46 AM

bringbacktheflex says:Mar 23, 2012 10:46 AM

———-
    Oh really? And here I am listening to every paid professional NFL scout there is saying he is the greatest prospect since John Elway, even better than Peyton Manning. But a random PFT commentator such as yourself obviously knows more about the game than they do. I guess Luck will be a bust.

25. Stiller43 says: Mar 23, 2012 11:24 AM

Cowboyhater,

Youre right. The team i root for doesnt have a shot at a “franchise qb”…because theirs has one 2 superbowls and been to another in the last 7 years.

- steeler fan in northern va

26. phoff12 says: Mar 23, 2012 11:25 AM

deangelo1776 says: Mar 23, 2012 10:58 AM

———————————————

The Colts have draft picks to put talent around Luck. The Redskins owe 36 million for dumping contracts in the uncapped year and mortgaged their future trading all there draft picks. They are all about the flashy splash trying to sell tickets. How has that worked the last ten years?

27. mjkelly77 says: Mar 23, 2012 11:54 AM

SOLID #1 choice. rg who?

28. boltfansmith says: Mar 23, 2012 11:58 AM

Wasn’t Jamarcus Russell a stud at his pro-day..?

29. flsharkvictim says: Mar 23, 2012 12:24 PM

RG3 OR LUCK will be a safe pick!

30. denverwally says: Mar 23, 2012 12:25 PM

Luck could do worse than have Mike Shanahan as his head coach. If there is one thing Shanahan knows how to do, its coach QB’s.

31. totallydisgusted says: Mar 23, 2012 1:18 PM

I can’t imagine why people call RGIII arrogant for displaying the same confidence people applaud Luck for (sarcasm). Even with the the cap hit the skins are in better shape than the colts. The colts obviously did not prepare for Peytons departure and never made moves to improve the positions outside the scope of quarterback. It’s gonna take a lot more time and effort to turn things around in Indy than it will in D.C. Sorry to the people that hate RGIII its the truth. You are gonna have to put up with his “arrogance” because he’s gonna make a lot of idiots eat crow.

32. kozmo50 says: Mar 23, 2012 1:26 PM

If the Giants could win the SB this year with that team, there is hope for the Washington Redskins!!!

33. bringbacktheflex says: Mar 23, 2012 2:12 PM

cowboyhater says:
    Mar 23, 2012 11:01 AM
    -So what you are saying is that you’re a USC fan. Nice objective view of Luck. Barkley will end up just like his counter parts Sanchez, and Leinart (very mediocre at best).-

Actually a SJS fan. Stanford and USC are televised a lot in the Bay Area. Nice try. I don’t have a dog in the fight so it’s completely objective, as opposed to your obvious hatred for USC QBs.

34. gmen1987 says: Mar 23, 2012 2:12 PM

bringbacktheflex says:
    Mar 23, 2012 10:46 AM

=================================
    Goobs, why not submit your scouting resume to your favorite team? Surely they could use your knowledge. Put your money where your mouth is.

35. bringbacktheflex says: Mar 23, 2012 2:18 PM

“But a random PFT commentator such as yourself obviously knows more about the game than they do.”

I choose to make up my own mind. How many football experts have been telling us for years how great Michael Vick is? Or what a great pick Jamarcus Russell was on draft day? Or how Ryan Leaf was a can’t miss pick?

I watched entire games with Luck. Not just a workout or some highlights. I wasn’t that impressed. He’s a great college QB. So was Vince Young. So was Tebow. Etc. Etc. Etc.

36. jimmylions says: Mar 23, 2012 3:10 PM

Both of these guys have great potential … but that’s all they offer. Potential.

Ask anyone who has been following NFL football for a couple of decades, and they can list off plenty of QBs who had lots of athletic ability, but were total busts.

Some of it comes down to the team … Joey Harrington was full of optimism when he arrived on a Lions team with no one to throw to, no one to take a hand off, and no one who could block. Last I heard he’s talking to a shink in Oregon about having reoccuring nightmares where he’s forced to go play for a team managed by Matt Millen.

I think like anything else … talent is a huge help, but there’s a lot more to success. Good coaching, a smart offensive coordinator, and plenty of talent around you are all critical.

All we can do is wish both of these kids good luck with their new teams. They could both easily end up being yesterday’s hero.

37. deangelo1776 says: Mar 23, 2012 5:51 PM

——

The Redskins gave up three picks over the next 3 drafts. They still have 20 draft choices over the next three years. History has shown that while there might be more overall talent in the first round, there are a lot more busts as well.

Their defense like I mentioned, is top 10 material. The offense was ranked 16th in total offense with Sexy Rexy and Beck throwing the ball.

How about telling me that the Colts are in better shape now?

38. sterilizecromartie says: Mar 23, 2012 6:50 PM

bringbacktheflex says:Mar 23, 2012 2:18 PM

——-
    Do you really think the guys in Indy are going to take him solely based on watching “a workout or some highlights”? And, trust me, the scouts that say he is one of the greatest prospects of all-time break down every snap of every game. They know what they are doing.

You do give some good examples of “can’t miss” prospects that were busts. But they all had fatal flaws, whether it be a product of a gimmicky college offense (Tebow, VY), or them being criminals (Vick), or them just being total headcases (Leaf, Russell). Luck doesn’t have any of those warning sings. Smart, healthy, deadly accurate, football genes, strong enough arm, and mastered a pro-style offense in college.

There is really no such thing as a “can’t miss”, but Luck is as close as they come.