Vikings, Erin Henderson agree to one-year, $2 million contract

New Orleans Saints v Minnesota Vikings Getty Images

A week after complaining that he hadn’t received a respectable contract offer, free agent linebacker Erin Henderson has agreed to remain with the Vikings.

Henderson’s agent confirmed the agreement on Twitter, and Tom Pelissero of 1500ESPN.com reports that it’s a one-year, $2 million deal.

A week into free agency, Henderson was so upset about what he had been offered that he suggested he’d quit football entirely before he’d play for less than he thinks he’s worth.

“I have a son,” Henderson wrote on Twitter. “[Why would] I want to put our future relationship in jeopardy for some money that ain’t even close to being correct. I’d rather be broke and watch my son grow up than put my well being on the line for money that doesn’t make sense.”

Apparently one year and $2 million is at least close enough to being correct that Henderson is willing to play for it.

Permalink 31 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
31 Responses to “Vikings, Erin Henderson agree to one-year, $2 million contract”
  1. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Mar 23, 2012 4:09 PM

The Vikings, Erin Henderson, and I all agree on what he is worth.

2. kidpresentable says: Mar 23, 2012 4:15 PM

Just out of curiosity, Viking fans, since many of your believe your wit to be razor-sharp when you call Aaron Rodgers, “Erin.,” Should we use the masculine spelling when trying to insult Henderson?

3. seals1 says: Mar 23, 2012 4:20 PM

Erin,,,,,,,,,,,you love things given to you. I remember what people thought of your game coming out of college also. Just make some damn plays and you will get paid. I hear you talk more than I see you hit.

4. farmmbig says: Mar 23, 2012 4:26 PM

I’d like to know what Erin expected to receive?

5. portnoychunk says: Mar 23, 2012 4:29 PM

Life ain’t easy for a boy named ‘Erin’.

6. babyhorsemorgan says: Mar 23, 2012 4:31 PM

It’s for the children, Erin.

7. contra74 says: Mar 23, 2012 4:33 PM

kidpresentable says:
    Mar 23, 2012 4:15 PM
    ———
    Why are you trying to insult Henderson?

8. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Mar 23, 2012 4:34 PM

@kidpresentable -

Clearly, Henderson’s parents were hoping for a girl.

I don’t call Rodgers “Erin,” I call him “Ryan,” because he looks like Ryan from The Office.

9. supermariojosh says: Mar 23, 2012 4:42 PM

Erin Henderson is bad at football. Glad he’s staying around to provide a built in comeback for Viking fans who think “Erin Rodgers” is a funny insult.

10. twtwigg says: Mar 23, 2012 4:50 PM

This is why he went by the name EJ in High School

11. canonroad says: Mar 23, 2012 4:54 PM

Word is he received offers for more than just 1 year- but decided to return. If he has a decent season in 2012- he’ll have a bunch of suitors next off-season. I think he has some potential.

12. vike4life says: Mar 23, 2012 4:57 PM

A prove it to me contract….if he shines he’ll get paid royally when he is a FA again next year.

13. mnajb says: Mar 23, 2012 4:59 PM

That’s a really fair price for an LB on the upswing. He actually rated pretty highly, and the Vikings are in desperate need for passable LBs this season. Kudos!

14. mnjoemama says: Mar 23, 2012 5:21 PM

anyone think madden will finally realize who erin is and, that he doesnt have dreads anymore. go vikes!

15. kotapug says: Mar 23, 2012 5:21 PM

@kidpresentable

Im pretty sure they call him Karen Rodgers . Now sit back down with your laptop the short bus is moving and almost to your moms.

16. ninefingers9 says: Mar 23, 2012 5:48 PM

I wonder if Sid Hartman will as ‘E.J.’ how he likes his new contract! lol

17. conormacleod says: Mar 23, 2012 6:13 PM

Works for everybody. Lets move on.

18. earlcampbellrules says: Mar 23, 2012 7:11 PM

Way too much money for an awful linebacker. I see 3-13 in the Vikes future again.

19. 13curtjp says: Mar 23, 2012 7:47 PM

Not a splash player but he was always around the ball. Say what you want but he has a lot of potential and as bad as the Vikings are, its definitely a good move.

20. flanders140 says: Mar 23, 2012 7:57 PM

EJ is his brother.

21. jamesnieman says: Mar 23, 2012 10:30 PM

Good move for the Vikings, only wish they would have done a 2 or 3 year deal instead. Henderson hasn’t been a top LB, but he had 70+ tackles, 1 or 2 sacks and 2 forced fumbles in limited playing time. He will only get better with more coaching and more playing time!!

22. emn081205 says: Mar 23, 2012 11:13 PM

People..there is “Erin” and “EJ” Henderson that are brothers that happen to both play on the same team, don’t get them confused. The “E” in EJ is for Eric.

23. brewdogg says: Mar 23, 2012 11:24 PM

I love how people who think they are so wonderfully smart and knowledgeable don’t realize that there are two E Hendersons playing LB for the Vikings…..

Just a thought…..if you don’t even know the starting lineups of teams that are in the same division as the team you purport to support, keep your opinions of the respective abilities of individual players to yourselves.

24. canigetastadium says: Mar 23, 2012 11:52 PM

Hey G Dub. Put me down for 5 Gs on Sharon Rogers

25. bwerickson82 says: Mar 24, 2012 2:33 AM

I love how the picture is with the Vikings and Saints. IRONY. Nothing to do with Gregg Williams I bet.

26. pantherdan says: Mar 24, 2012 3:35 AM

Hey…I have a son…4 of them to be axact….they all need college money and I am out of a job for 3 years now….

For $2 million….I would get inside of a tent with 500 rabid, HIV infected raccoons for 1 hour! I may be dead in 15 years due to aids or sooner if the immediate trauma was life threatening but I would die happy, knowing that my kids would be taken care of!

In today’s world…for anyone to piss and moan at $2mil when they are not even that great just irks the hell out of me!

27. pantherdan says: Mar 24, 2012 3:36 AM

Now if I were EJ Henderson….I would have demanded $8 million just to go to ota’s….But not Erin..

28. johnsticle says: Mar 24, 2012 8:56 AM

Are you serious? You people don’t realize E.J. and Erin are two different people? They’re brothers. E.J. and Erin Henderson…
    I don’t want to live on this planet anymore.

29. ninefingers9 says: Mar 24, 2012 11:16 AM

My reference to “EJ” and Sid Hartman, is because Sid did an entire interview once with Erin but thought he was interviewing EJ. Sid is a complete boob, but to hear Erin tell the story is hilarious!

30. coleman121280 says: Mar 24, 2012 11:35 AM

what a waste of time and money….

He won’t shut down a game, he wont get to the hole before the ball carrier, he always waits for the tackle to get to him, he doesn’t take a game over.

31. sharonrodgers says: Mar 24, 2012 2:31 PM

I still think Erin Rodgers, Karen Rodgers, and of course, Sharon Rodgers are all funny.

oh and erin hederson is every bit of average. good move by the vikes