Andrew Luck: Colts haven’t told me they’ll draft me yet

Andrew Luck AP

Although everyone has assumed for months that Andrew Luck will be Peyton Manning’s sucessor in Indianapolis, Luck says the Colts have not told him they’re going to draft him.

“They haven’t said those words yet,” Luck said this morning on the Dan Patrick Show.

Maybe I’m channeling John Cusack in High Fidelity here, but Luck’s use of the word “yet” leads me to believe that Luck has been given every indication by the Colts that it’s just a matter of time before they do say those words and tell him he’s going to be the first overall pick. Luck did say he’s had good conversations with Colts head coach Chuck Pagano and quarterbacks coach Clyde Christensen.

“I’ve talked to coach Pagano, I’ve talked to coach Christensen, but they haven’t come out and said that,” Luck said. “I understand they’ve got their work to do, they’ve got their due diligence to do, and I understand if it works out, great, and if it doesn’t, that’s great as well.”

Luck makes no secret that he wants to play for the Colts.

“I hope so, but that’s a decision they have to make,” he said. “We’ll see what they do.”

Permalink 50 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
50 Responses to “Andrew Luck: Colts haven’t told me they’ll draft me yet”
  1. 5150cd says: Mar 26, 2012 11:43 AM

Christiansen is the QB coach now, he got demoted.

2. TaiwanMike says: Mar 26, 2012 11:44 AM

this is pure speculation, but didn’t Irsay fire the Polians because he wanted to take back his team? Weren’t the Polians really high on Luck? It may be possible that the Colts pick RGIII just to do the opposite of what the Polians would have done. Just a thought.

3. rg3savedc says: Mar 26, 2012 11:46 AM

He actually wants to play for that crapfest in Indy? Good ~Luck~ with that

4. indywilson40 says: Mar 26, 2012 11:47 AM

You’re coming to Indy, Andrew. Don’t sweat it.

5. seanmmartin says: Mar 26, 2012 11:48 AM

Even if they have, he wouldn’t share that information. He’s not stupid.

6. radrntn says: Mar 26, 2012 11:49 AM

no need to. with new cba…your contract is already negotiated.

7. baaaam says: Mar 26, 2012 11:50 AM

Why would you wanna play for the Colts? They suck now. But at least he’ll have Wayne to throw the ball to now. I dont know why he re-signed there, he couldve got more money somewhere else and obviously their in the rebuilding process now. They’ll be back in the playoffs in 3 years. Good luck Luck!!!

8. braven4evr says: Mar 26, 2012 11:51 AM

Everytime they see more tape of RG3 it makes the decision harder…

9. nflfollower says: Mar 26, 2012 12:02 PM

They shouldn’t. Maybe the skins will give up their #1 pick in 2015 to swap spots and ensure they get RG III.

10. raiderlyfe510 says: Mar 26, 2012 12:07 PM

Why does Luck want to be the #1 pick? Redskins is a much better situation for him.

Coaching staff and front office is way better. Plus the Redskins used their front office acumen to get to the the #2 spot instead of losing on purposely sabotaging their season with Kerry Collins and Curtis Painter.

I think the Colts will be a disaster.

11. burgundyandgold says: Mar 26, 2012 12:07 PM

I would prefer RGIII but if the Colts want to pass on Luck I think we will make do with him in Washington. HTTR.

12. skin94249 says: Mar 26, 2012 12:10 PM

Tell the man already dang ! So I could get my Skins RG3 Jersey !!!!

13. jjrs89 says: Mar 26, 2012 12:15 PM

The colts have put so much investment into him already without the draft even taking place I bet he could demand to wear #18

14. crapboys says: Mar 26, 2012 12:15 PM

Hey nflfollower dont be a tool/douche. Your pick. Smells like a browns fan. Luck or RG3 will be great in DC! Let me guess you’re a fan of the whole NFL? You reppin that Gmen jersey now? Store away your packers jersey from the year before?

HTTR!

15. jgava19 says: Mar 26, 2012 12:16 PM

Reggie probably stayed for less because he knows the team will be good sooner than later.

And why did Manning come to a crappy team when he was drafted?

16. richardhurtz says: Mar 26, 2012 12:17 PM

Luck couldn’t even live up to the hype during his senior year in college so I’m not sure how he is going to react to being the next savior for the Colts. I have a funny feeling that this Luck kid is going to be a bust. Not a Ryan Leaf like bust but the kind player that never lives up to all of the hype and his team ends up out of contention for 5 years as a result.

The Redskins may end up better off “settling” for RG II .

17. raylewis52 says: Mar 26, 2012 12:19 PM

Must be cool knowing you’re just weeks away from being an instant millionaire and knowing you are going to do what you always dreamed of doing.

18. annoyingknowitall says: Mar 26, 2012 12:36 PM

(1) You never wanna be the guy after THE guy leaves…
    (2) it’s simple as to why he wants to play for Indy… He’d rather not have Dan Snyder up his arse for the next 15 years. At least Irsay will let the people he hires make football decisions…

19. r0b1b0y says: Mar 26, 2012 12:41 PM

Luck is boring, he will be good but never great….he’s the next Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco yawn

20. mjkelly77 says: Mar 26, 2012 12:42 PM

Andrew Luck: Colts haven’t told me they’ll draft me yet
    _____________________

Don’t worry, son. You’re a future Colt. You get the opportunity to turn a franchise around. Just don’t go out the way your predecessor did … groveling for money at the end of his career. Selling himself like some cheap hooker. Greedy Swamp Boy.

21. steel2372 says: Mar 26, 2012 12:42 PM

Luck might not be the number one selection in the draft after all

22. boswivel says: Mar 26, 2012 12:43 PM

If the REDSKINS are a better situation for you, I can only assume you are stranded on an island with no food or water, and surrounded by sharks – with legs.

23. nolasoxfan2012 says: Mar 26, 2012 12:44 PM

I love what the Colts are doing. They’ll end up getting a pick or two from Redskins just by “threatening” to draft RG3.

24. db3300 says: Mar 26, 2012 12:46 PM

Be careful what you ask for, Andrew. Many people consider Manning the best to ever play the position and if the organization couldn’t be bothered to surround him with enough talent, they probably won’t do it for you either.

25. peytonsneck18 says: Mar 26, 2012 12:48 PM

He will be a colt, il bet mark Sanchez starting position! !!

26. tombradyswig says: Mar 26, 2012 12:49 PM

Dont worry andy…
    goon irsay will tweet it sometime soon, in the middle of the night, no less… probably hammered drunk as well….

27. jgava19 says: Mar 26, 2012 12:51 PM

Couldn’t live up to the hype his Sr season? Really? His kicker misses a chip shot to win the bowl game. Luck was 27-31 passing I believe. One regular season loss to Oregon where his O scored 30 pts. Defense gave up 50+.
    Do some research before mouthing off.

No way he ends up being a bust. He’s too good at many things.

28. scarletmacaw says: Mar 26, 2012 12:53 PM

There’s no financial incentive for Indy to sign him early. They just need to weigh the advantage of him getting a playbook sooner vs. the risk of him getting a major injury in the next month.

29. jgava19 says: Mar 26, 2012 12:54 PM

Problem with surrounding Manning with talent is all they did was concentrate on the O. Bye bye Tampa 2. Hello Pagano. I will bet Luck wins more rings in Indy than Manning did.

30. kubetheman says: Mar 26, 2012 1:00 PM

No worries Andrew, Irsay talking this over with his buddy Rob Lowe, and will Tweet the world when done.

31. zn0rseman says: Mar 26, 2012 1:03 PM

Funny.

What has Robert Griffin proven at Baylor? Great arm, great athleticism… sure. But I’ve seen that same statement made about a tons of other spread system/running QB’s in the past, and almost none of those worked out. The real question to mep is, does he have the quick decision making skills to excell at the next level. Luck has shown the aptitude for that during his college career. Has Griffin? Sure, he looks great in shorts throwing scripted passes at his pro day. Yeah, he looks fast at the combine. And yeah, he put up some highlight reel footage for ESPN (a sports media organization that is very desirous for that black QBs do well) with a spread system against weak defenses. The NFL requires much more from a QB and I guess I just don’t see how anyone could truly consider taking an unproven guy like Griffin over a guy who had the college accolades that Luck has. That just doesn’t make sense unless the interest of ownership is not to win football games as much as taking advantage of the Griffin hype machine in the media to sell tickets.

32. granadafan says: Mar 26, 2012 1:04 PM

Ah, ye olde Manning/Leaf arguments bring back good memories. Who in this year’s draft will be Leaf? I don’t see either breaking down mentally like Leaf, but it will be interesting if both star or fail. Both seem like really good guys though and d-bags personality-wise like Leaf.

33. erod22 says: Mar 26, 2012 1:12 PM

The Colts are in a tough spot. How do you not take a big strong dude from Stanford who looks the part of the next Peyton Manning?

But in the end, Griffin III may very well be the best of the two.

34. richardhurtz says: Mar 26, 2012 1:27 PM

jgava19 – Don’t forget to wipe your chin after you finish serving Andrew Luck.

Seriously though, if you aren’t directly related to this kid, you are a world class jock sniffer who needs to get a life. If you are related to him, I hope he breaks you off a little something for your love.

Enough said.

35. peytonsneck18 says: Mar 26, 2012 1:28 PM

There is no Ryan leafs in this draft!! So please stop comparing anyone of these great qb’s to him!!!!!

36. bison4me says: Mar 26, 2012 1:30 PM

zn0rseman says:
    Mar 26, 2012 1:03 PM
    Funny.

=================================
    zn0rseman, you make great points. I will say this Drew Brees came out of the spread in college, is the size of a smurf, and throws nothing but touchdowns every Sunday. New Orleans and New England both run spread formations and incorporate spread concepts in their offenses, and they’re running up points on a scoreboard near you.

That being said, Matt Leinart, Brady Quinn, Casey Clausen, Mark Sanchez, and Matt Cassel, all came from colleges that run pro style offenses. As a former QB myself, I’ve seen it before with a lot guys, sometimes it’s not about the Xs and Os, but more about your John’s and Joe’s. And the hype machine had been kicked into full octane two years in a row for Andrew Luck, before RG3 got any attention.

37. smarterthanmike says: Mar 26, 2012 1:30 PM

as a skins fan, i cant wait for the colts to tell luck that.

38. pastorized0004 says: Mar 26, 2012 1:31 PM

I respect RG3, he has great skills, but I am tired of the “experts” talking about how great he looks on film. So did a lot of QB’s, Clark Gable, Paul Newman etc. but they are never made it in the NFL. Only history will show what kinds of QB’s Luck & RG3 will be.

39. puckthefatriots says: Mar 26, 2012 1:33 PM

a redskin fan saying the Colts franchise is a disaster is laughable..have you paid any attention to the last 15 years…your franchise is a complete joke..you’ve got the worst owner in sports..you just traded away your next 3 drafts…spent tons of money on ‘average at best players’(see Pierre Garcon, Josh Morgan, Brandon Merriweather)..Why would you want to play for a crap franchise like the Colts?..people said the same thing in 1998 when Peyton Manning was drafted. Worked out pretty well didnt it..The Redskins win the offseason every year and we never see them in the playoffs so take the blinders off and get back to reality…Your franchise is the one that sucks.

40. afty2001 says: Mar 26, 2012 2:01 PM

I’m sure that upsets you guys, now you can’t make up any “Andrew Luck power play” drama!

41. jakek2 says: Mar 26, 2012 2:04 PM

Luck better hope the Colts take him. Otherwise, he’ll end up on his back (like Griffin will) quite a lot with JPP, Tuck, Osi, Kiwi, Babin, Cole, and Ware coming at him 6x per year. The AFC South’s only pass rusher just defected to the Bills.

42. jakek2 says: Mar 26, 2012 2:06 PM

Whoever is unlucky enough to get stuck on the Skins will not only have the worst front office in NFL history behind them but will also have the fiercest pass rushers in the league stalking his a$$ for 6x times a year. Hard to throw when your on your back for much of the game.

43. dexterismyhero says: Mar 26, 2012 3:11 PM

@richardhurtz says:Mar 26, 2012 12:17 PM—————————————————————–

Hey Dick Hurtz. Luck couldn’t even live up to the hype during his senior year in college.

He was a Jr. Is your cousin Richard Smoker?

44. mn62980 says: Mar 26, 2012 3:11 PM

This may be the only time I have something in common with Andrew Luck…

45. jprcox says: Mar 26, 2012 3:22 PM

WOW! I am shocked that he WANTS to play for Indy, as I thought he would perhaps demand not playing for them considering the situation.

1. They crapped on Manning who did everything right and was the face of the org.

2. Unless he comes out and plays day 1 like Manning in his prime, Indy fans will be disgruntled…..so basically there is no way to make most the fans happy….so there is not way he can fill those shoes.

3. The hype around him is crazy.

4. Even if he is a GOOD QB, since he is following arguably the best ever, his legacy will be marginalized at best.

5. Colts suck – no running, no blocking, no “D”…that all comes down on the QB. Manning was so good he was able to give the Colts a 10-6 record with a 2-14 team.

Again, I am SHOCKED Luck is looking forward to this.

46. bigbalz says: Mar 26, 2012 3:51 PM

Some people say “why would he want to play for the Colts”? Duh, he’ll be the 1st pick and since when has any team with the 1st overall pick been a good team? Some people are so stupid it makes me wonder how they have gotten through life without accidentally killing theirselves.

47. jgava19 says: Mar 26, 2012 4:00 PM

No running? Last season they averaged over 4 yards a carry for the first time since 2006. All with a busted up line, and 3 well below average QB’s. Wasn’t like teams were dropping guys back to defend the pass. Do your homework, jprcox

48. zn0rseman says: Mar 26, 2012 4:53 PM

bison4me says:
    Mar 26, 2012 1:30 PM
    =================================

—————-
    I think the main difference is that neither Drew Brees or Tom Brady came out of offenses that were designed around the QB running. Whereas guys like Robert Griffin, Tim Tebow, and the like, did. So there is a tremendous difference between the types of offenses you’re talking about. Also, Brady was at Michigan during Llyod Carr’s era, and they ran a hybrid pro-style offense. Brees, also from the Big Ten, played at Purdue and ran a hybrid offense that used elements of a spread but isn’t what you’d consider a modern gimmicky spread like what Griffin ran. Neither QB (Brafy or Brees) ran very often, and both were extremely good decision makers and accurate throwers.

In other words, Luck fits their mold much more so than Griffin, so I’m not sure that your comparison is a good one. I’d say Griffin compares closer to Micheal Vick, Aaron Brooks, Tim Tebow and Terrell Pryor. But this observation is coming from a defensive player without anything in the way of QB skills… just one who looks for what to defend against. Luck will try beat me through the air, Griffin on the ground… unless the defense sells out to stop the ground game, which they were forced to in college, but at the NFL level, they probably won’t. So Griffin will have to beat defenses that don’t feat his running attack, through the air… something he didn’t really have to do in college. So while both QB’s could be great, Luck is a much safer bet.

49. dcfan4life says: Mar 26, 2012 6:13 PM

@annoyingknowitall
    (1) You never wanna be the guy after THE guy leaves…
    _____________________________

Your so right, that didn’t work out at all for Aaron Rodgers (Brett Favre), Tom Brady (Drew Bledsoe), Phillip Rivers (Drew Brees), Steve Young (Joe Montana), Michael Vick (Donovan Mcnabb), Andy Dalton (Carson Palmer), and many others over the years…

50. qdog112 says: Mar 27, 2012 12:12 PM

zn0rseman says: Mar 26, 2012 1:03 PM

Funny.

************************************
    Good job, Rush. Let me say this, Luck is a good talent, but he is not going to live up to the scrutiny of being a franchise savior. RGIII has a better arm, better athleticism, a Heisman Trophy, a competitive nature and the IQ to be the face of not only his team, but the NFL, in time. Andrew never played against the top competition, doesn’t have the greatest arm, is mobile and his dad played the game. If that makes him a “can’t miss”, then the rules have changed.