Colts’ Donnie Avery claims he ran a 40 in 4.25 seconds

Tennessee Titans v Houston Texans Getty Images

As a 2008 second-round draft pick who played well in his first couple seasons with the Rams, Donnie Avery once looked like a future star in the NFL. But Avery missed all of 2010 with a knee injury, then was released by the Rams and caught only three passes for the Titans in 2011, and when he signed with the Colts last week, it was viewed as a relatively insignificant free agent move.

Avery, however, says the talent that made him a second-round pick and a promising rookie is still there, and that the Colts just got themselves a playmaker. In fact, Avery claims that even after his 2010 knee injury, Avery got all the way back to full speed, to the point where he could run a 40-yard dash in 4.25 seconds.

“Last year after the injury, after the lockout, I did clock a 4.25,” Avery told Indianapolis reporters, in comments distributed by the Colts’ PR staff. “It was on grass and it was 40 yards in Houston.”

One reporter asked an interesting follow-up to that claim: Why did Avery run a 4.49-second 40-yard dash at the Combine?

“I had a pulled hamstring,” Avery answered. “I told all of the coaches before I had a pulled hamstring and they told me, ‘don’t do anything.’ But I just felt bad sitting back and watching other guys run and compete and I couldn’t participate. After that I did the gauntlet, re-strained it and had to sit out the rest of the Combine.”

Hamstring injury or not, I have a feeling that when Avery was timed at 4.25 seconds he was aided by a generous hand-timer, and that at the Combine he wouldn’t have run that fast. But if Avery is as fast now as he was during his rookie season with the Rams, the Colts have added a good deep threat for Andrew Luck.

Permalink 24 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Indianapolis Colts, Rumor Mill
24 Responses to “Colts’ Donnie Avery claims he ran a 40 in 4.25 seconds”
  1. bbrophy1 says: Mar 27, 2012 3:54 PM

sounds like he ran the 35 yard dash

2. armeniandelight4 says: Mar 27, 2012 3:55 PM

Even though players can work on their speed and explosiveness and make big improvements in those areas, I’m not sure how possible it is for someone to shave 0.24 seconds off of his 40 time, especially in spite of a knee injury. Numbers aside, I think he’s a nice player to have around in camp. He has decent speed and decent hands. They still need to draft a few receivers and all kinds of offensive line and running back help.

3. benacci says: Mar 27, 2012 4:05 PM

Rich Eisen is not impressed….

4. laramtime says: Mar 27, 2012 4:08 PM

Why the Rams didn’t resign him this winter with there issues I do not know. Expecially on the cheap.

5. asw1028 says: Mar 27, 2012 4:09 PM

This reminds me of an old saying…’the reason talk is cheap is because supply always exceeds demands.’

6. karlton2 says: Mar 27, 2012 4:21 PM

armeniandelight4 says:
    Mar 27, 2012 3:55 PM

————————————————-

He allegedly ran a 4.25 at his pro day before the draft.

7. shackdelrio says: Mar 27, 2012 4:23 PM

Big deal. I can throw a football over them mountains…

-Rico

8. jdawg111 says: Mar 27, 2012 4:23 PM

yeah and my friend Paul can run the 40 yard dash in in 3.8 seconds, in Minnesota with snow shoes and a parka… Your point Mr. Avery?

9. peytonsneck18 says: Mar 27, 2012 4:28 PM

well he is 2 years away from his injuries and maybe the titans didnt use him effectively, i hope he can help my colts out this year, we need a TE, im hoping for either Allen or Orson charles

10. cletusvandam says: Mar 27, 2012 4:34 PM

Donnie Avery then added “I also turned into the Incredible Hulk once, but no was there to see it…”

11. spedman24 says: Mar 27, 2012 4:37 PM

if a tree falls in the forest does anyone hear it?

12. beavertonsteve says: Mar 27, 2012 4:39 PM

The dude is fast. He has sprinter’s speed on a track so the 4.25 claim isn’t crazy, but what really matters is seperation speed with pads on and Avery just wasn’t nearly as impressive on the field.

IF he can return to the way he looked before the knee injury he’ll be a decent pickup for the Colts, but I wouldn’t read too much into his track speed.

13. unclerico72 says: Mar 27, 2012 4:42 PM

How much you want to bet I can throw a football over them mountains. I used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile! If coach would have started me, we would have won state, I would have turned pro, I’d be in a mansion.

14. mrslay1 says: Mar 27, 2012 4:51 PM

Do you think the Rams knew something there?

15. benacci says: Mar 27, 2012 4:54 PM

I already have his jersey…It says Gonzalez on the back of it.

16. kelvinmchale says: Mar 27, 2012 5:00 PM

Did the Colts already draft Andrew Luck? That’s funny, I thought I would’ve heard about that by now…

17. Stupid Raiders Fan says: Mar 27, 2012 5:00 PM

Thanks for the article he is moving to the bottom of my early deep FF Sleepers.

18. babyhorsemorgan says: Mar 27, 2012 5:15 PM

“I was on grass, but I’m pretty sure it was 40 yards……….. in Houston.”.

19. andyreiddoublecheeseburger says: Mar 27, 2012 5:21 PM

Somewhere Deion Sanders just snickered.

20. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Mar 27, 2012 5:29 PM

Yeah, he ran a 4.25 40, but it was wind-aided. And downhill.

21. stonecld33 says: Mar 27, 2012 5:46 PM

Drew brees wants answers and tiki is flabbergasted.

22. brasho says: Mar 27, 2012 5:59 PM

Avery can and pretty much, always could, fly. This is not surprising. He’s always had low 4.3 speed so him clocking 4.25 by hand is not alarming at all… electronically it would be between 4.30 and 4.35.

23. irishnativeson says: Mar 27, 2012 6:13 PM

It could’ve happened. When I was a senior in high school we had to run forties for a fitness evaluation. I didn’t care for the head coach of the football team so I didn’t bother with football. The P.E. teacher was an assistant football coach and he timed myself and another guy from our soccer team in the forty yard dash. He made us run it three times before he recorded our times at 4.5 and 4.6 it was timed by hand and I never got to see what the first two times were but I asked a kid who said the first one was 4.3 in a dead heat, Mike may have been an inch or two taller at 5’9′ and we both weighed about the same in the mid 180’s. The reason the assistant coach was so pissed is the starting running back weighed about a buck fifty soaking wet and he ran 4.8 and was considered to be fairly quick. No one had ever thought to time soccer players in the 40

24. numba1recx19 says: Mar 28, 2012 2:34 AM

Ya I’d believe this Donnie Avery Is an amazing receiver.