Adrian Peterson on target for Week One return

Minnesota Vikings v Washington Redskins Getty Images

Five weeks ago Vikings running back Adrian Peterson said he expects to be all the way back from knee surgery in time to play in Week One. As Peterson’s rehab continues, the Vikings remain optimistic about that.

Vikings coach Leslie Frazier said at the league meeting that while he doesn’t want to put a specific date on when Peterson will be at full speed, he does believe Peterson is making the necessary progress and perhaps even progressing more quickly than they expected.

“I don’t know if there’s a firm timeline but we are monitoring his progress,” Frazier said. “There’s certain things based on other people’s history with that injury that you kind of look to see if he’s hitting some of those marks. So far he has in some ways exceeded expectations. But it’s still relatively early. He’s just beginning to run, this week, on land. There are still some areas where we’ve got to monitor where he is, so it’s too early right now to say that he’s going to absolutely make it back by the first game but so far he’s on target with everything we’ve asked him to do.”

The last thing the Vikings want to do is push Peterson to get back on the field too quickly, so it’s not surprising that there was a tone of caution in Frazier’s voice. But Peterson, who suffered his torn ACL on December 24, seems likely to make it back on the field after eight and a half months.

Permalink 34 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Minnesota Vikings, Rumor Mill
34 Responses to “Adrian Peterson on target for Week One return”
  1. pickleman77 says: Mar 28, 2012 10:54 AM

Good to hear. Please don’t rush back too soon A.D. By the way-I wonder how Toby Gerhart’s injury is healing?

2. sportsmeccabi says: Mar 28, 2012 10:56 AM

When I grow up, I want to be like Adrian Peterson.

3. textexington says: Mar 28, 2012 10:57 AM

Adrienne tore his labia.LOLZ.

4. javierjiminy says: Mar 28, 2012 10:58 AM

I really hope he starts on week 1. Need him for my fantasy league.

5. subzero00 says: Mar 28, 2012 11:00 AM

Get this man Matt Kalil!

6. halestorm74 says: Mar 28, 2012 11:00 AM

Can’t wait to see #28 streaking across the field again dodging defenders like they were children. Here is hoping to a fast safe recovery my friend. Skol!

7. ammarradhi says: Mar 28, 2012 11:04 AM

The first good news from the Vikings this offseason! Heal up AP, cant wait for you to be back.

8. bwerickson82 says: Mar 28, 2012 11:06 AM

Adrian Peterson is a beast! On a side note, I can see on my screen it has been 11 days since an arrest! Yip Yip, Hooray!!

9. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Mar 28, 2012 11:22 AM

Minnesota: The Land of 10,000 Torn ACLs.

10. Carl Gerbschmidt says: Mar 28, 2012 11:32 AM

So was Daunte…

11. gripless says: Mar 28, 2012 11:40 AM

Frazier could not keep him out of the line up on a gimpy ankle, he’ll never be able to manage when AP comes back. AP will tell Frazier.

And that is why Frazier and company need to go!

12. canonroad says: Mar 28, 2012 11:49 AM

I remember watching the Washington game and the feeling as soon as you saw him twisting in pain. I wish never to see that again- so I’m fine with pushing his return out a couple extra weeks/months if need be. It’s seriously not worth it- it’s not like we’re super bowl contenders in 2012. Plus…we do now have Lex Hilliard…so duh, AP is not even needed any more.

With that said- part of me still doubts he’ll ever be himself. He cuts so hard that I fear he’ll never be able to trust the cuts moving forward.

I guess if anyone can do it- AP is the man. The guy is simply a genetic anomaly.

13. blaz0037 says: Mar 28, 2012 11:56 AM

As a long time Vikes fan, this is great to hear.

Unfortunately, most reasonable minds agree he will never be the same player he was.

14. sportmentary says: Mar 28, 2012 12:03 PM

I’m one who isn’t counting AP out. The guy has a G-d given talent and I think he’ll surpsise us all.

15. sadviking says: Mar 28, 2012 12:04 PM

Minnesota: The Land of 10,000 Torn ACLs……………………I hear ya. Every team I was excited about this year had a star player go out with a torn ACL. First Peterson, then Rubio, then even our High School basketball star. Ugh…

16. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Mar 28, 2012 12:06 PM

Adrian Peterson, Ricky Rubio, Trevor Mbakwe, Al Jefferson, Corey Brewer, Cedric Griffin (twice), Anthony Herrera, Daunte Culpepper…

That’s a lot of torn ACLs.

17. sadviking says: Mar 28, 2012 12:07 PM

I agree with other posters though… Peterson is a freak of nature, and a tough bastard. If anybody can recover it would be him. While I don’t think he’ll be what he was his rookie season, he will still be a threat for any defense.

18. ugk612 says: Mar 28, 2012 12:15 PM

Be careful mayne!

19. purplecrowe says: Mar 28, 2012 12:22 PM

“Adrian Peterson, running back, a man barely alive. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him, we have the technology, we have the capability to build the world’s first bionic knee. All-Day will be that man. We can make him better than he was before; better, stronger, faster.”

20. contra74 says: Mar 28, 2012 12:32 PM

textexington says:
    Mar 28, 2012 10:57 AM
    Adrienne tore his labia.LOLZ.
    ———
    That hilarious! But wait, hold on, I want a better laugh. Tell us again….hahaha…ok, tell us again how you own an NFL team. HAHAHAHAHA

21. spawn201 says: Mar 28, 2012 12:39 PM

If anybody can do it its AP !!!!!!!!!!!!!

22. calbsure says: Mar 28, 2012 1:10 PM

By land, by air or by sea. Week one, we will see AD.

23. vikefan says: Mar 28, 2012 1:51 PM

without him or jared allen it will be tuff to sell tix

24. gb4mn0 says: Mar 28, 2012 1:54 PM

contra74 says:
    Mar 28, 2012 12:32 PM
    textexington says:
    Mar 28, 2012 10:57 AM
    Adrienne tore his labia.LOLZ.
    ———

——————————————

And the crowd yawns with boring disdain as contra, the dim witted lavender Larry twit, lives up to his M.O. and makes a complete fool out of himself once again.

25. sportmentary says: Mar 28, 2012 2:00 PM

Sadvikings, I feel your pain. One thing is certain. when the Vikings lose another 13 games, it won’t be AP’s fault. it will be rick Spielman’s. the guy is a terrible GM.

26. contra74 says: Mar 28, 2012 2:18 PM

gb4mn0 says:
    Mar 28, 2012 1:54 PM
    contra74 says:
    Mar 28, 2012 12:32 PM
    textexington says:
    Mar 28, 2012 10:57 AM
    Adrienne tore his labia.LOLZ.
    ———

——————————————

——
    Lavender Larry (check), twit (check)…where are the other 5 words in your vocabulary? If anyone is making a complete fool out of him, wait, itself its you!

27. brewdogg says: Mar 28, 2012 2:40 PM

gb4mn0 says: Mar 28, 2012 1:54 PM

contra74 says:
    Mar 28, 2012 12:32 PM
    textexington says:
    Mar 28, 2012 10:57 AM
    Adrienne tore his labia.LOLZ.
    ———

——————————————

———————————-

Does anyone else see the irony in this message including that same old lavender Larry thing that this jagoff has been using in every post for months? At least Tex came up with something new (I think….I don’t remember seeing it before).

Go check with your gyno and see if he has any original thoughts you can steal. Unless, of course you prefer being boring and predictable…. Me, I would rather not recycle things like Discount Double-choke or Green Bay Samson, but to each his own.

28. contra74 says: Mar 28, 2012 2:52 PM

gb4mn0 says:
    Mar 28, 2012 1:54 PM
    contra74 says:
    Mar 28, 2012 12:32 PM
    textexington says:
    Mar 28, 2012 10:57 AM
    Adrienne tore his labia.LOLZ.
    ———

——————————————

————-
    I dont get it. When you posted your comment, this article was out of the home page and tucked away in the Team Thread which you have to click a link to get into and then click into the story. That means you went out of your way to find this article and post. Why, if you hate the vikings so much, did you go out of your way? Unemployed huh?

29. stellarperformance says: Mar 28, 2012 2:56 PM

contra74….did someone convince you that you could become relevent if you inundated PFT with childish insults? It’s not working. They all seem to start with you, and then you are the first one that objects. Hummmm. Is it time to get a life?

30. vikesfansteve says: Mar 28, 2012 5:24 PM

Al Harris tried to end AP’s career in his rookie season for 500 bucks worth of DVD’s. He only missed 2 weeks.

31. thepvyharvin says: Mar 28, 2012 7:44 PM

@ gb4mn0,textexington and stellarperformance,,,,It is hilarious how you dim witted pecker heads gang up on contra74 and he makes you guys look like kindergartners. I need not even pile on,,,

32. contra74 says: Mar 28, 2012 8:10 PM

thepvyharvin says:
    Mar 28, 2012 7:44 PM
    —-
    Good to have you back Pervy!

33. stellarperformance says: Mar 29, 2012 7:20 AM

contra74 says: Mar 28, 2012 8:10 PM
    Good to have you back Pervy!
    ==================================

Whew….talk about a Weak One return…you nailed it!

34. aithegreek says: Mar 29, 2012 1:45 PM

I tore my acl when i played football and i rehabed after 8 months i was back to full strength and was actually told my new reconstructed knee was stronger then my other…adrian will be back he is a freak… skol vikings!