Report: Titans interested in Asante Samuel

Getty Images

Eagles cornerback Asante Samuel is one of the NFL’s likeliest veterans to be traded this offseason. He is amenable to restructuring his contract in order to expedite a deal, further increasing that likelihood.

Citing a league source, Terry McCormick of Titan Insider reports that the Titans have “at least some interest” in acquiring Samuel. Tennessee lost Cortland Finnegan in free agency. While Alterraun Verner and Jason McCourty are viable young starters, Samuel would give the Titans three outstanding cornerbacks in the increasingly pass-first NFL.

McCormick also reports that the Eagles want a third-round pick for Samuel.

65 responses to “Report: Titans interested in Asante Samuel

1. Get in the mix Spielman! You have done nothing in free agency so far, a third rd pick is worth it!

2. He would be a nice fit in Buffalo and fill a hole. However, I would be very weary consummating a trade with the Eagles as they usually get the better end of the deal.

3. Hmm a 3rd rounder seems a little low for a CB of Asante’s caliber. He is on the “wrong side of 30” (he’s 31) and his current cap number is pretty high (9.9 million), but I figured the Eagles would be looking for more than just a 3rd rounder.

4. get it done howie, 3rd round pick is a good move for both sides. Then we can draft Mark Barron at 15 and trade our 3rd and extra 2nd to get back into the 1st and take a DT, possibly Worthy at the bottom end of the first.

5. “his current cap number is pretty high (9.9 million),”

You managed to see that they want a third rounder, but not that Samuel is willing to restructure his contract. I wish I had that kind of selective reading skill.

6. How do the eagles keep raping other teams over their unwanteds? What has Samuel done the past couple of years? Nada. Titans can’t be that dumb….

7. For the bad rap this guys gets, he is STILL a playmaker in the secondary. He even was one of our most physical corners last year. Better than Nnamdi and DRC anyway.

I’ll miss ya, Asante.

8. A first rd pick for asante? Wtf are you smoking? There’s no way in hell the Eagles get a first rounder for him. 2 low rd picks or a 3rd rounder at best.

9. How do the eagles keep raping other teams over their unwanteds? What has Samuel done the past couple of years? Nada. Titans can’t be that dumb….”

Your an idiot! Look at his stats

10. In his first season with new team… he will have 7 IT… but will get burned repeatedly and be a poor tackler…

11. I am shocked that the Bucs aren’t going after him. With the need at CB that they have with the trial of Talib and the age of Barber, I would think they would gladly drop a 3rd round pick for this guy. They still have plenty of cap space, and could easily go after Richardson if they got Assante.

12. Any eagles fans that hate on Asante are stupid for it, imo. The dude makes plays. Probably the best move for the franchise to trade him, I don’t deny that, but ONLY if the price is right. It better be a REAL early third, or a 2nd, or I’ll feel jipped.

13. @all vikings fans
    I am a fan too, but be realistic here. A 31 year old corner with 9.9 in cap hits? We can’t afford to sign a player like that right now, with the youth movement going on Spielman won’t budge

14. @jeffhink: I did see that, but Asante hasn’t restructured his contract yet, has he? So 9.9 million represents his CURRENT cap number. You should give yourself some credit; your selective reading skills are pretty good.

And the fact that Asante is willing to restructure his contract so that a team would take less of a cap hit would enhance his value so that the Eagles would be able to demand more than a 3rd rounder, right?

15. Asante is going back to NEW ENGLAND. He is now humble enough to play for BB. SUPER BOWL BOUND PATS BABY!!

16. ponies92 says:
    Mar 28, 2012 1:33 PM
    @all vikings fans

If he is willing to restructure, it won’t be a 9.9 cap hit. Besides he’s 31, that is a youth movement when considering Winfield right? Not to mention when, not if IMO, Antoine gets injured we could use a corner that has more than one season as a starter in the secondary. If they can get him to come down to ~ $5 mil cap hit, then why not?

17. Be smart Tennessee. You are the only team offering, so don’t give no more than a 5th rounder. Tired of this team getting extra picks from old expiring players, it’s creating a unfair competitive balance in the NFC East.

Signed,
    John Mara

18. For a third round pick I would keep Asante if I were the Eagles. You can never have enough corners. Asante can still play. Last year they had a deal on the table for two 2nd round picks from Detroit. They should have took it.

19. donotquit says:
    Mar 28, 2012 1:57 PM

It’s a little early for Fantasy Football.

20. I would not be surprised at all If the Eagles somehow get Kenny Britt for Samuels. The Eagles always destroy trades and always win. I hate Philly man.

21. As a eagles fan i say they should keep him you could never have to many db’s but if he does get traded i hope it’s to a team in the AFC

22. Asante is a feast or famine cornerback, he either makes plays or gets burned. I suppose that’s the way the league is leaning with all the pass interference changes. This guy only plays one side of the field, can only really play zone coverage and is a poor tackler.

His contract is far too expensive to be worth taking a risk on, even with reasonable contract I would not trade more than a 5th for him, especially considering that he’s on the decline.

23. I don’t care how many of my fellow Eagles fans give this a thumbs down, I know I’m right.

Getting rid of Asante is a HUGE mistake. DRC is a joke. He was burnt deep 3 times in the last two weeks of the season and because of one underthrown ball and 2 drops, Eagles fans talk about how good he was. We should have been talking about how awful he was, but he got lucky.

Samuel is a playmaker, period. I can’t believe we are talking about getting rid of him. Especially if he is willing to restructure his deal. I’m at a total loss for words.

Thanks for letting me vent.

P.S. If you are an Eagles fan and you think DRC is a future star, please either watch the games or learn the game.

24. there is a reason the eagles have been trying to trade him since they signed Nnamdi and haven’t been able to yet.

25. How could they possibly have interest in him after their very own Kenny Britt torched him for 200 yards and 3 TD’s?

26. Indyeagle:

Getting rid of Asante is a HUGE mistake. DRC is a joke.
    ———————————

I completely agree with you. Asante was still our best CB last year. He is still a playmaker and is only 31 years old. He plays big in the playoffs! He still has a good 3 years left at a high level. I personally would keep him if I were the Eagles. You can never have enough CBs. If they do trade him I would want atleast a 2nd and a 3rd round pick. Personally I wouldn’t trade him for less then a 1st because I he still has the potential to get 9 or more interceptions.

27. If he’s restructuring his contract then there should be no trouble finding a home for an elite CB. The Eagles should trade Samuel and a 5th for a 2nd a a 3rd . In the right defense he’ll probably lead the league in INT’s, true playmaker.

28. Trading Asante is a mistake. I’ve been to many Eagles practices and he challenges everyone on the field to get better. He calls out DeSean, Maclin nd the rest of wr/rbs. He makes practice count nd pushs for them to get better. He helps the young dbs as well. They have a young team with a dc in 2nd yr.

29. @chrisvegas: Your points are valid, but you’re also assuming that the Eagles are getting to the playoffs hahaha.

-An Eagles fan

30. Samuel is worth a third round pick, but only if he cuts his salary in half. I wouldn’t mind if Buffalo picked him up to replace Leodis McKelvin, he’d surely be an upgrade. McKelvin has lost a step in his game, he covers well but makes bad decisions when it comes to swatting the ball away or trying to catch it himself. McKelvin has the bottom half of an elite DB, but an upper half of a high school LB. The Bills need to upgrade… McGee is getting old, Florence is average at best, Williams is not yet ready and McKelvin is unlikely to make the 53 unless it comes down to his abilities on Special Teams. Sign him Buffalo, Beat the Titans to it.

31. He shies away from tackles (he is definitely not the only CB in the league doing that, cough *Antonio Cromartie* cough) but the guy can still cover and make plays…I would ask for a second and if that doesn’t happen be happy to have him on the team.

32. Best Zone CB in the league. Very, very sneaky and is great at reading the QB (some may call it guessing, but he does it better than anyone).

Asante gave the Eagles a lot of quality years with no BS. The President CB, you will be missed!

33. armeniandelight4 says:
    Mar 28, 2012 3:00 PM
    —————————

When is the last time Reid missed the playoffs two years in a row? Oh we will make the Playoffs.

If Asante is restructuring his contract as some poeple say, then the Eagles should just keep him. Why trade him for a 3rd round pick or less? Do we really think a 3rd rounder is going to turn out to be an elite player? Asante is still in his prime. He can still get you a good number of turnovers. Ya he isn’t the greatest tackler, but he makes up for it in other ways. Namdi & DRC showed me nothing last year, Why trade our best CB away? As far as I am concerned Eagles have all the leverage here, there is always a shortage of CB and you can never have to many CBs. If I trade him I am getting value back because this is a probowl cb who can still produce.

34. greenbleeder says:
    Mar 28, 2012 1:01 PM

I’ll miss ya, Asante.

————————–

Most physical corners? HAHA. What are you on? He’s like a ballerina out there.

35. Anyone who says Asante’s fell off obviously hasn’t seen him play . QB’s stay away from him and when they don’t he makes them pay. Every CB gets beat occasionally , but if he wasn’t 31 he would absolutely warrant a 1st rd pick . Granted he needs to play in more of a zone D , but he’s
    worth at least a 2 nd and 3rd for him and a 4th or a 5th . DRC only got to play 2 games on the outside in a new system. The Eagles aren’t gonna give up on a 25 year old former pro-bowl CB who has a very low salary . Whatever team trades for him will be getting a top tier defensive back , and whoever doubts that will look like a fool in the end. 22 is also a great character guy

36. armeniandelight4 says:
    Mar 28, 2012 2:41 PM
    ———————————————

Actually it wasn’t Asante who Kenny Brit torched. It was every other CB they put on him. The frustrating thing with that game is they never moved Asante over to cover Brit.

37. Once again I have to say this because people don’t do any research for them selves.

Statistically 22 is a top 3 corner over the past three years. He is a very hard guy to beat for wr and he is probably the top play maker at the position in the nfl ( though Peterson may pass him sooner than later).

I think a team like buffalo will end up send a 2 or a 3 and 5 for him. And it will be great for both teams. Samuel isn’t leaving because he isn’t good, they want to trade him for the same reason the eagles were able to get Ryans from the texans. 22 just doesn’t fit in a press corner scheme. Drc who more than proved him self when he got the chance on the outside will be a very good replacement. They will also save cap money which in my best guess will be for the McCoy signing( IMO they are waiting till after the draft to see if they do get 22’s money off before signing McCoy but the deal is most likely pretty much done)

38. ChrisVegas, we didn’t move Asante over to cover Britt because he CAN’T move over to cover at all. He can only play one side of the field! And he cant play man to man/bump and run. We NEED to move this guy, as great as he has been, to make our secondary better so we can have Nnamdi play his normal bump and run style and follow the other teams best receiver all over the field and shut him down. The eagles let Nnamdi do that once last year and he completely shut down Dez Bryant the first time we played them. Check the stats. And I’m tired of people knocking DRC, the guy cant play in the slot! Once he is outside he is a top 10 corner in the league… HUGE DIFFERENCE! Keep Joselio in the slot and let Nnamdi and DRC shut it down.

39. honestly i cant understand how PROVEN players are traded for next to nothing.. If you told me i could trade a 2nd rounder for a probowl LB, i’d jump at it,, but he goes for a 4th.. If you told me i could have a probowl CB that averages 5 ints a year for a late 1st ,, i’d jump at that too.. but we are talking 3rd rounder..

half the 1st round picks in this league NEVER pan out.. I will never understand taking a chance on a 2nd day draft prospect for a proven NFL player..

If anything, i would package Asante and a 2nd to move into the first round.. Eagles need another LB a stud Safety and a rotational BEAST DT..

40. andyreidisfat says:
    Mar 28, 2012 3:59 PM

—————————————-

I’m not so sure the Eagles still won’t use alot of Zone coverage next year. Why do you think that will change when we have the same D. Cordinator? Also I don’t know about DRC. I thought he was a huge disappointment. If we trade Asante and DRC doesn’t come to play this year, we are stuck with Hanson.

41. @ indyeagle

you make good points, but you cant judge the new corners on last years play. the eagles started out using a zone coverage scheme with two of the best man cover CBs in the league.,

thats like taking a ferari out four wheeling..
    with an aggressive blitz scheme, Nnamdi & DRC are the guys to go with.. Especially with all the height at WR in the NFC east now..

I would keep the restructured Asante and play him as the slot so he can jump routes and and still have help over the top..

Keep asante unless the price is right.

42. Nobody is saying the Pats? Makes a lot of sense, definitely a need and he knows the Pats system.. And the Patriots are probably the only team that can out fleece the Eagles.. Get again in the fourth round and get some stability and playmaking ability again in that secondary.. I would live to see him in Buffalo too, with that line coming after QB’s he could feast on fear.. Plus McGhee needs to go and McKelvin maybe too, even though he could learn a few things from him.. Florence is the worst so maybe even him as well.. Come to the AFC East again Asante

43. Vikings fans….you want to give up a 3rd rounder for this guy? Ridiculous…we need youth, not has beens making way to much money. Maybe for a 5th or 6th, but there is no way Spielman gives up a 3 for him……and he shouldn’t…

44. Asante is going back to NEW ENGLAND

Never happen.

They couldn’t work out a deal to bring Ty Law back years ago, no way they’ll even try with this guy.

It’s obvious Bill wanted rid of him.

45. eagles7to10 says:
    Mar 28, 2012 4:16 PM

—————————————-

At that point in the game where Brit was singlehandedly beating the Eagles, There was NOBODY else who could have covered the guy. However the reason I brought Brit up was because armeniandelight4 was blaming Brit’s performance on Asante, which was completely bogus.

Now as for your logic I am not in complete disagreement about trading Asante, however I am not going to give him away for a 3rd round pick. Also you forget the fact that Our current D. Cordinator likes to play zone. Why do you think he is going to play press coverage when he constantly went back to zone last year? I agree Eagles should play press, but I disagree with the assumption that they will. That being said I would be happy if they kept Asante. If they do make the mistake of trading him, atleast get some value back.

46. He wants Detroit. No more then a fourth though. We tried to pay last year, and he was happy to go. Talk all you want, but teams are taking notice what is happening in Detroit. Why do you think no one wanted to leave, (except Eric, over payed) and everyone is restructuring to make things happen. Wouldn’t be surprised to see Detroit give it another shot. Cap is the only issue

47. 3rd rounder is too high. 5th rounder seems about right. Antonio Cromartie went for a 3rd 2 yrs ago but he was 26yo at the time. Some teams you just don’t trade with and Philly is the top of the list. When they are buying they offer next to nothing and when they are selling, they want top dollar. There always seems to be at least one stupid team that will shop in their store and go home with buyer’s remorse.

48. I don’t know what you idiots are smoking but Samuel is a BALLER! I question if you’re even a human if you can’t admit that. Dude is a future HOF with 2 Superbowl rings & multiple Pro Bowls.

I know smoking crack is bad but smoking ass crack has to be worse!