In survey of nine teams, eight call Osweiler a fourth-round prospect

Brock Osweiler AP

After Arizona State quarterback Brock Osweiler worked out for scouts on Friday, we passed along the opinion of longtime NFL personnel man Gil Brandt, who said Osweiler now looks like a first-round draft pick.

Another longtime personnel man, Charley Casserly, strongly disagrees — and says that almost every team he has talked to views Osweiler as a fourth-round prospect.

Asked on NFL Network about Brandt’s first-round assessment, Casserly seemed taken aback by it.

“I’m not sure what that means, to be honest with you,” Casserly said of Brandt’s first-round projection. “I haven’t studied this guy yet but I interviewed nine teams about him. Eight of them had him rated in the fourth round. The workout doesn’t change the rating on the tape. The other team had him rated in the second. Issues about the guy concerning decision making, accuracy, takes too many sacks, questionable instincts. All of those things, to me, are things you see on tape, not in the workout. I’m going to take what those teams said and stick with that.”

NFL Network’s Michael Lombardi agreed with that, noting that Osweiler was only a one-year starter at Arizona State. Lombardi took issue with Brandt’s assessment as well.

“I don’t think you could ever, possibly, consider him a first-round talent,” Lombardi said.

Osweiler surprised a lot of people by entering the NFL draft this year, and the chances of him going in the first round seem remote. Then again, Osweiler has the physical tools (he’s 6-foot-7 and a good enough athlete that he accepted a basketball scholarship to Gonzaga before deciding he’d rather play football), and all it takes is one team to fall in love with him for him to go in the first round.

Most of the time we have a pretty good idea before the draft who the first-round quarterbacks are, but sometimes there are first-round surprises like Jason Campbell, J.P. Losman and Patrick Ramsey. Osweiler going in the first round would be as big a surprise as any of them.

Permalink 48 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
48 Responses to “In survey of nine teams, eight call Osweiler a fourth-round prospect”
  1. KIR says: Mar 31, 2012 9:30 AM

QB’s are over drafted and RB’s are under drafted. If there was a redraft, I could name aprox 16 to 18 RB’s that would be taken in the 1st round and not by TV analyst I’m talking by actual NFL GM’s. This tells me that that just because a player was not drafted in the 1st round doesn’t mean he SHOULDN’T have been drafted in the 1st round.

GM’s need to get a clue instead of wasting 1st round picks on a lot of guys who are not going to contribute much if anything to the team.

2. sixjak says: Mar 31, 2012 9:34 AM

I guess I’ll file this story in the DID NOT READ LOL file and call it a day.

3. brj1212 says: Mar 31, 2012 9:38 AM

“but sometimes there are first-round surprises like Jason Campbell, J.P. Losman and Patrick Ramsey.”

2 outta 3 were my dreaded redskins…hope RG3 works out better for us.

4. fishfiletkray says: Mar 31, 2012 9:40 AM

Looks like gil brandt likes collecting cash under the table

5. getyourownname says: Mar 31, 2012 9:41 AM

So 8 of 9 rate him better than Tom Brady coming out of college.

6. duanethomas says: Mar 31, 2012 9:41 AM

Gil Brandt needs to go home. His peak was the late 60′s and after Dorsett was drafted in 77 he never hit on another draft pick. His time has passed…”where’s my shoes”???

7. downslide33 says: Mar 31, 2012 9:41 AM

KIR says: Mar 31, 2012 9:30 AM

—————————————————
    Rb’s are “overdrafted” as well….. The NFL is all about passing the ball. RB”s are a dime a dozen .

8. teal379 says: Mar 31, 2012 9:41 AM

Call it the “Ponder principle”

9. gking11 says: Mar 31, 2012 9:46 AM

It’s a good point about looking to tapes and not workouts to get a good idea of a player’s body of work. That said, if he can be developed into a quality NFL starter, he’d be the steal of the draft. That’s a big IF, though, but I hope it works out well for the kid, wherever he ends up.

I don’t need to remind everyone that Tom Brady was a 6th round pick and look what happened, but players like him are exceptions to the rule. There’s always a few in every draft and it’s possible that Osweiler may be one of them, only time will tell.

10. glynners says: Mar 31, 2012 9:57 AM

If Tebow can get drafted in the the 1st round then ANYTHING is possible

11. sportsmeccabi says: Mar 31, 2012 9:57 AM

Was that 9th team in the NBA?

12. Kave Krew says: Mar 31, 2012 9:58 AM

The new thing is a QB lobbying campaign – Gil Brandt is to Osweiler as Warren Moon is to Cam Newton – except Moon knew what he was talking about

6th rd pick and hope there is a Tom Brady passion play in it

13. leftcoastnative says: Mar 31, 2012 10:01 AM

Trying to manufacture a first round grade for a QB is disasterous.

Just think back to Rick Meier, Kelly Stouffer, Heath Schuler, Dan McGwire. J.P. Losman, Patrick Ramsey, Akili Smith.

Difficult especially if they are one-year wonders.

Since leaving the Cowboys, Gil has never met a player he did not like and rates many as first rounders; however, if he still was picking for the Cowboys, many of them honestly would not be on his board.

14. bigshadetree says: Mar 31, 2012 10:03 AM

If his throwing motion is always like the pic, I’d pass on him all together, we can’t All be Brett favre

15. bigshadetree says: Mar 31, 2012 10:04 AM

His arm looks broken

16. ezpkns34 says: Mar 31, 2012 10:08 AM

“KIR says: Mar 31, 2012 9:30 AM

QB’s are over drafted and RB’s are under drafted. If there was a redraft, I could name aprox 16 to 18 RB’s that would be taken in the 1st round and not by TV analyst I’m talking by actual NFL GM’s”
    ——————————————-

How about you simply name any year since the merger where there should have been 18 RBs taken in the first round

Needless to say, I won’t be holding my breath on this one

17. crazybeardedjack says: Mar 31, 2012 10:09 AM

Can’t belive ANYONE would ever listen to Charlie Casserly. The guy rode Bobby Beathard’s coattails for the beginning of of his career. Yeah, he made the trade of all of Ditka’s picks in the Ricky Williams deal, but what did he do with them? Nothing. I think Belichick said it best:

“Who’s been wrong more than Charley Casserly since he left the Redskins? Wherever he’s been, whatever he’s done, his percentage is like a meteorologist…He has no relationship with this team, I’d say less than zero. He’s never here, I don’t know if he’s ever been to a game. He’s never been to a practice…at least he put his name on it and I’ll put my name on it and say, like he usually is, he’s 100-percent wrong.”

He’s totally clueless and it’s embarrassing that he’s employed by the NFL Network.

18. jacobslatter says: Mar 31, 2012 10:13 AM

Pat White was seen as a high 2nd round pick. Matt Schaub was like a 5th round pick. Ryan Leaf was # 2 in more ways than one. Tom Brady was just happy to be drafted. You never know it’ll turn out.

19. gorilladik81 says: Mar 31, 2012 10:13 AM

Sanchez was only a one year starter as well and he was a first round pick,I wish I got paid to be wrong more than I was right .

20. rabidbillsfan says: Mar 31, 2012 10:18 AM

It only takes one fool though….

21. GG Eden says: Mar 31, 2012 10:19 AM

Been going over “versus” videos.

I think RGIII is going to bust. He doesn’t go thru progressions well. Most of his throws are ‘one step’ throws/routes. First reads. But when a play consists of longer developing routes, especially with several options, he doesn’t go thru them quick enough, locks on too long. He’s too much of in a hurry to scramble about once a first read breaks down otherwise. In a pro-style offense, he will struggle. He has a great arm and touch I will give him that.

22. oldbyrd says: Mar 31, 2012 10:20 AM

EAGLES IN 3rd round

23. thereisalwaysnextyear says: Mar 31, 2012 10:44 AM

Skins spent TWO 1st round picks on Campbell AND a 3rd.

24. truthhurtstoo says: Mar 31, 2012 10:44 AM

jets should take him with their 1st pick.
    That would make sense based on the recent decisions.
    After all, they still don’t have a QB.

25. gooboy6 says: Mar 31, 2012 10:45 AM

it is painful to listen to him on Sirius NFL RADIO, always change stations when he is on

26. dubitodd123 says: Mar 31, 2012 11:02 AM

Just don’t see him as a franchise qb

27. ernie ernie says: Mar 31, 2012 11:13 AM

I take it this guy played one year per the article but would have had another year of eligibility but choose to go pro. Either he is a genius or an idiot.
    If he is a genius he maybe would be a good second rounder, if he is an idiot then the fourth may be too high.

My point is, its not just the arm and physical abilities but the ability to read defenses. If you don’t have the later, your not going to succeed aka Russel.

28. realitypolice says: Mar 31, 2012 11:16 AM

crazybeardedjack says:
    Mar 31, 2012 10:09 AM
    Can’t belive ANYONE would ever listen to Charlie Casserly.
    ===============

Yeah, he also made the terrible decision to draft Mario Williams over Reggie Bush and Vince Young, how did that……..um, never mind.

Bellichick hates Casserly because Casserly was the first to break the story that Brady was having problems with Randy Moss (Moss was traded shortly thereafter) and that Casserly was one of the first to report rumors of spy gate, which turned out to be true.

And I’ll take Casserly’s opinion over Brandt’s. Brandt thrived in an era with no salary cap, no free agency, and the draft had SEVENTEEN ROUNDS.

Lots of room for error in old Gil’s day.

29. addict2sport says: Mar 31, 2012 11:29 AM

This kid is Dan McGwire all over again. These draft gurus are about as accurate as a weather man. Educated guesses and their connections within the league butter their bread. Must be nice. If I’m wrong at my job 30%-40% of the time like these gurus I’d be canned.

30. eaglebranded says: Mar 31, 2012 11:40 AM

And those are the same analysts that said Cam shouldn’t be taken first . Speaking of Cam what happened to Gabbert and the rest of the first round picks? Seem to me they had that wrong too. My point is you never know how someone will do in the NFL until they get there . Some guys do great in school the pro days everything and still flop in this league.

31. trubroncfan07 says: Mar 31, 2012 11:52 AM

I would rather have the kid for Boise St. His game tape speaks for itself, this guy is just another example how GM’s get fooled at that combine looking a these guys in shorts.

32. cantonbound13 says: Mar 31, 2012 12:07 PM

The 9th team to have him rated a second rounder had to be the Dolphins or Vikings. Only Ireland or Spielman could be way off. Would Casserly be interested in the Dolphins job?

33. bucfaninil says: Mar 31, 2012 12:11 PM

but this is a “passing league” lol yeah right… ask NE and Pit why they can’t win one now that they went to the Pass-Only Style… QBs are so overrated now… I mean Eli is given Elite status just because he can’t manage to win more than 9 games in the SB years and plays against other Pass-First teams and has a boat load of PURE LUCK

BRING BACK THE RB!!!

Only 3 Elite QBs Peyton, Brady, Brees… and only Peyton was a First Rounder…

34. toonsterwu says: Mar 31, 2012 12:24 PM

Comparing Osweiler to those three is fairly odd. At the same point in the draft process, Jason Campbell was viewed as a late first/early 2nd pick. Osweiler is largely a 2nd-4th pick.

Losman was well liked out of college, with a more extensive body of work. He started for 2 seasons, had athleticism and arm strength. While there were questions about him, he was also viewed as a possible late first/early 2nd type.

It’s easy to forget all these years later, but Ramsay was viewed as a first. A late first, but a first. He was a guy that some wondered if he would go in the mid-1st because he was clearly the number 3 QB on the board that year (behind Carr and Harrington). The Redskins were actually praised that they were able to continually move down and still end up with the guy that they targeted all along.

35. waltdawg says: Mar 31, 2012 12:35 PM

I could never and still never will believe that the Redskins took Campbell in the first round….WASTE!

36. cluelessdufus says: Mar 31, 2012 12:54 PM

The Fins will grab him with there chicago 3rd round pick

37. KIR says: Mar 31, 2012 1:28 PM

@ezpkns34 says: Mar 31, 2012 10:08 AM

“KIR says: Mar 31, 2012 9:30 AM

——————————————-

Needless to say, I won’t be holding my breath on this one
    ______________________________
    REdraft means…… As in do over

38. jeziyo247 says: Mar 31, 2012 2:12 PM

Any QB drafted is a gamble weather its the first round or seventh round. Tom brady proves that no matter what round you’re picked, you can be an elite QB, whereas Jamarcus Russell proved that even though you’re a first rounder doesn’t mean everything is gonna pan out. Its all about the will of that individual to work hard to be great and the right team to groom that QB and know when and what situation to put them in.

39. babyhorsemorgan says: Mar 31, 2012 2:26 PM

Osweiler was invited to the Green Room. The NFL does it’s homework before extending the invitations. They don’t want guys sitting there for three rounds. Mark Herzlich was an exception last year as a cancer survivor, but everyone else they invited was drafted by the middle of the second round, I believe.

If you look back a year, Gil Brandt’s assessments on the QBs were spectacularly more accurate than the internet geeks. I’ll go with Gil 10 times out of 10. All the draft dorks do is tweet and retweet each other until they all end up saying the same thing. Brandt doesn’t listen to that noise, he goes on about 60 years worth of experience.

40. ajsjr40 says: Mar 31, 2012 2:32 PM

Why do people still use alleged analysis from Gil Brandt as relevant information? The last time he drafted a player that had any impact in the NFL was forty years ago.

41. macmansux says: Mar 31, 2012 3:08 PM

KIR says:Mar 31, 2012 1:28 PM

@ezpkns34 says: Mar 31, 2012 10:08 AM

“KIR says: Mar 31, 2012 9:30 AM

——————————————-

Needless to say, I won’t be holding my breath on this one
    ______________________________
    REdraft means…… As in do over

Of course if there was a redraft, things would be a lot different. The Chargers would never have taken Ryan Leaf and the Raiders would never have taken JaMarcus Russell. Since you’re using RBs though, I’ll use the 2009 NFL Draft for this. I’m sure Arian Foster would have been drafted in the 1st-round based on what they’ve seen, instead he went undrafted. LeSean McCoy would have been a first-round pick too, based on his production, though he was just a 2nd-rounder. But, Knowshon Moreno and Donald Brown would most likely not be 1st round picks based on their production. The point of all of this is teams do make mistakes and they do occasionally hit the jackpot. No point in trying to change the past since it’s a done deal and can’t be fixed… And even if there were a redraft, I highly doubt 16 to 18 RBs would go in the first round because of the ridiculous talent there is at all the other positions.

42. techieluddite says: Mar 31, 2012 4:00 PM

GG,
    What you said about RG III is pretty much what a lot of people said about Cam Newton.

43. randallflagg52 says: Mar 31, 2012 4:37 PM

It didn’t take long for someone to bring up that midget from Boise St. Evey time I hear about Moore or that Kassum kid from Houston like they are first rounders I just laugh.

44. babyhorsemorgan says: Mar 31, 2012 5:48 PM

@eaglebranded – Too early to judge last year’s quarterbacks. Newton jumped out fast, but no one questioned his talent, they were worried about his character and personality. Historically, the quarterbacks who started fastest in the league seldom ended up being the best of the draft. Vince Young won the same honors as Newton as a rookie. Gabbert was considered a longer term project, with huge upside. No one expected him to have to step right in as a starter, especially the Jaguars. He was the only early entry prospect at the position, with a year less experience than the others.

45. truthserum4u says: Mar 31, 2012 5:49 PM

There’s so much misinformation being distributed by teams, so players fall to them, who knows how teams really feel about prospects?

Casserly’s comment “The workout doesn’t change the rating on the tape.”, while making sense, certainly doesn’t seem to be the case as players like D Poe, S Hill, S Gilmore & J Robinson appear to be rising up draft boards based on their workout numbers and not game tape (oddly enough even with Moayock).

46. jefftberg says: Mar 31, 2012 7:13 PM

He could easily go in the first round. It only takes one team to become enamored with you.

47. GG Eden says: Mar 31, 2012 11:26 PM

techieluddite says: Mar 31, 2012 4:00 PM

GG,

—-

The difference is….Newton was generally expected and predicted to bust, the majority of ‘pundits’ like us. Whereas everyone in 2012 is pretty much convinced RG3 is a certified superstar.

As some experts have noted, RG3 is like someone still in med school while Luck is already a practicing GP. When I look over Luck’s ‘versus’ videos, I really do see an NFL-caliber QB already. When I see RG3′s ‘versus’ videos I see it’s all potential, but there are a lot of areas his game will need coaching and dedication still to become NFL caliber. Those things I mentioned stand out. I can see RG3 struggling in the early going, scrambling around left and right avoiding pressure, throwing the ball into double coverage, getting picked off, fumbling trying to dance around too much, locking on too much and taking too long to read and release etc.

Not saying he WILL bust, but he will struggle to ‘get’ where Luck already is.

48. mobuccsfan says: Apr 1, 2012 2:13 AM

I don’t think Moore or Keenum get drafted in the first round or even the second round…but I can see both of them being better than people think. Solid pros to possibly even a surprise Tom Brady-esque career. Especially Keenum. Just my opinion.
    I agree with many posters. In the end, the draft is a crap-shoot. You will hit and you will miss. Some teams just seem to miss more than hit because poor scouting department, poor GMs, etc.