Solder preparing to be Brady’s new left tackle

Nate Solder AP

Patriots left tackle Matt Light is expected to retire this offseason, but New England prepared for his exit last spring. They drafted Nate Solder out of Colorado with the 17th pick in the 2011 draft, and Solder expects to step in on Tom Brady’s blind side once Light makes his retirement official.

“Well I feel like that is the reason I was brought here,” Solder told the Boston Globe, “to eventually be the starter, and that’s great. I’m excited about that.”

Solder started 13-of-16 regular season games as a rookie, holding up well while seeing action at both tackle positions and tight end in some jumbo packages.

“My sole drive was not to be a disappointment,” Solder added. “So I hope I wasn’t a disappointment. But it continues on, you know. I have to get better next year, too.”

Solder mentioned his technique when asked to name something he’s working to improve entering his second NFL season. Per Shalise Manza Young of the Globe, Solder has taken one week of vacation since the Patriots’ Super Bowl loss. Otherwise, he’s been at Gillette Stadium honing his talent.

Permalink 28 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, New England Patriots, Rumor Mill
28 Responses to “Solder preparing to be Brady’s new left tackle”
  1. CKL says: Mar 31, 2012 5:59 PM

Ill be sad if light hangs em up , but i think solder will become an apt replacement. Its either that, or he will have to face the wrath of Scar which will NOT be pretty!:-)

2. ctimesthr33 says: Mar 31, 2012 6:01 PM

He had a few gaffes last year but the kid looks ok to me, he’s got pretty big shoes to fill though.

3. catquick says: Mar 31, 2012 6:07 PM

As a Bills fan, much to my chagrin, I think Solder will be the best LT in the NFL very soon. A great picku by the Pats.

4. mempusa says: Mar 31, 2012 6:45 PM

Solder is so quick on his feet for such a big dude. He wasn’t great last year but I think he played really well considering all the bouncing around he did. I’ll think he’ll be a solid LT for years to come

5. peteynz says: Mar 31, 2012 6:58 PM

Really do like Solder. He had a great last season and good luck to him in replacing a pats legend like Light.

6. august1969 says: Mar 31, 2012 7:17 PM

I hope he’s a legit left tackle. I’m not sure though. Kind of an important position.

7. babyhorsemorgan says: Mar 31, 2012 7:19 PM

Solder was going great until one of his wheels came off.

8. 6ball says: Mar 31, 2012 7:21 PM

Solder is the answer to the question, ” who did the Patriots get with the pick acquired in the Richard Seymour trade “.

I think both parties are happy with the deal.

9. 8man says: Mar 31, 2012 7:24 PM

To 6ball:

I did not know that. Thank you.

10. bozosforall says: Mar 31, 2012 8:32 PM

Can’t wait to see Mario Williams abuse him one-on-one next season.

11. dirtierwater says: Mar 31, 2012 9:26 PM

Although he’s been an injury risk, what with that back of his, I’m surprised Volmer didn’t earn this position (assuming it will exist) instead of Solder. I happen to think Solder already having first rights at LT is more an assumption than fact.

When given snaps either at RT or LT, Volmer has clearly been the better player.

That argument aside, I especially hope Light doesn’t retire, making it mute.

12. rexismybff says: Mar 31, 2012 10:09 PM

Justin Tuck is already preparing to run over Solder on his way to planting Brady’s pretty face in the dirt.

Just like he did to Mankins. In the Super Bowl. In the final minute. When the Pats were trying to come from behind.

If you missed it you should find the video – it was pretty funny.

13. JakeDSnake says: Mar 31, 2012 10:09 PM

dirtierwater says:
    Mar 31, 2012 9:26 PM

“That argument aside, I especially hope Light doesn’t retire, making it mute.”
    In a political year, any argument that is mute is a good thing – especially when they are moot arguments.

14. cowboysfaninbuffalove says: Mar 31, 2012 10:43 PM

@catquick

There is no way he will be the best LT in the league…joe thomas? Jake long? Hell even tyron smith when he moves to LT his talent is way beyond solder

15. rc33 says: Mar 31, 2012 11:35 PM

Love Big Sey but N.E wins that trade HUGE from this moment forward.

16. polegojim says: Mar 31, 2012 11:50 PM

Light was decent, but gave up some bad sacks and bull rushes in key games.

Solder will be better than Light.

At 319…. and still room to grow in 6-8 frame…. he’ll be a wall… but not better than Jake Long. Very similar build tho. Solder is 1″ taller and a few pounds heavier.

Solders achilles heel will be having D come under.
    At 6-8, he must start low-center Would be good to model his stance after Jake.

17. nfl1818 says: Apr 1, 2012 12:05 AM

rexismybff says:
    Mar 31, 2012 10:09 PM

Just like he did to Mankins. ”

Jets fan. nuff said

18. bearsoxass says: Apr 1, 2012 1:14 AM

He’s a bust!

19. patsfan22 says: Apr 1, 2012 1:53 AM

If you missed it you should find the video – it was pretty funny.

—————————————————-
    Mankins had a torn ACL

20. gotcaughtcheating says: Apr 1, 2012 5:37 AM

As long as he wears the Uggz Brady bought him the Pats should be just fine.

21. lowleadman says: Apr 1, 2012 7:59 AM

rexismybff says:Mar 31, 2012 10:09 PM

If you missed it you should find the video – it was pretty funny.
    _________________________________

You were aware that Mankins played the SB with a torn ACL, right? Yes, very funny stuff.

22. truthhurtstoo says: Apr 1, 2012 8:19 AM

one like to pull hair and one holds too much…. well done paties!

23. truthhurtstoo says: Apr 1, 2012 8:21 AM

a pats legend like Light”…… really? Whata a reach! Only a legend in beantown for sure

24. fran021 says: Apr 1, 2012 8:26 AM

dirtierwater: That argument aside, I especially hope Light doesn’t retire, making it mute.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Making it MOOT, dirtierwater, making it MOOT.

25. TheWizard says: Apr 1, 2012 8:34 AM

Just like he did to Mankins. In the Super Bowl. In the final minute

I noticed that at the time.

Later we found out Mankins had torn up his knee, I doubt he could move laterally at all. Don’t know why he was still out there.

Point is, I wouldn’t get too excited based on what you saw there. The O-line figures to have all their ligaments attached this year.

26. j0esixpack says: Apr 1, 2012 9:28 AM

When an LTs skills begin to erode through age, they erode quickly.

Many other LTs have let their ego and desire for a bigger wallet extend their careers, putting their QBs in jeopardy.

Not Light… He’s smart enough and man enough to know when it’s time to call it a career, putting the team before his desire to collect a few more million.

27. patsfiend says: Apr 1, 2012 6:29 PM

I like that he’s at Gillette working out during the offseason. Last week we heard that Mayo is there daily, as well. Looks like we are getting some new leaders on D and O. Hit it hard, Nate-dog.

28. patpatriot7 says: Apr 2, 2012 12:02 PM

Just got back from two weeks of Red Sox spring training, so am still getting caught up on football news. One article summed up the busy activities that occurred last month, “Putting a Bow on the Memorable Month of March,” with the Payton Manning happenings, the Saints “Bountygate,” the rules changes and the upcoming draft – to name a few. Low and behold, there were NO postings by bozoforall, the NFL’s self-appointed judge of morality on any of the articles I read. Did he find another way to amuse himself? Did he get tired of basically saying the same thing over and over again? Did he finally start to read his own postings and realize how silly the were? No, he waited for a new posting on the Patriots to spew his usual hate. Welcome back. I missed you. Speaking of the Patriots, how did you like the 12 free agent signings they have made thusfar? Didn’t see any of your comments there! I thought you had gone away permanently. Oh well, one can only wish.