Jets won’t rule out another year of Hard Knocks

New York Jets Introduce Tim Tebow Getty Images

Tim Tebow’s arrival guarantees the Jets a pretty bright spotlight during training camp this summer and they don’t seem to mind the idea of adding television cameras to the mix.

Gary Myers of the New York Daily News reports that Jets owner Woody Johnson “did not rule out” a return engagement on HBO’s Hard Knocks this summer when asked about it at the opening of a NFL store in New York on Monday. Johnson said that there hasn’t been a formal invitation sent their way, but it wouldn’t be surprising to see that coming soon.

The Jets made for an entertaining and highly rated season during the summer of 2012 and having Tebow on board will only send those ratings even higher as football fans around the country settle in to watch after eating a goddamn snack. It’s hard to think of a team with a more reality show ready list of storylines than the Jets bring to the table and it’s impossible to think of a team that welcomes the kind of spotlight that comes with being on such a show more than the Jets.

Interest in being on the show this season would be a change of heart from last year. General manager Mike Tannenbaum was on PFT Live last year and said that the Jets weren’t down with a return engagement. It’s a different year and a different team now, though, and, as many have pointed out in the wake of the Tebow trade, it isn’t a team that’s shy about grabbing for headlines.

As mentioned above, the spotlight is going to be on the team under any circumstances, so it isn’t like adding cameras to the mix would make a massive difference at their camp. It also wouldn’t make players all that uncomfortable since just about all of them have already gone through the process once.

Permalink 65 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New York Jets, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
65 Responses to “Jets won’t rule out another year of Hard Knocks”
  1. mataug says: Apr 2, 2012 1:06 PM

how about some interest in the on-field product NY Jets ?

2. JackLeone says: Apr 2, 2012 1:08 PM

Another year of Tebow mania….. For what & how come?

3. xsorethumbx says: Apr 2, 2012 1:09 PM

Just as the media kept writing about, look at all those free agents that went to go play for Rex since Hard Knocks: Plaxico and LaRon (no last names needed for the great ones)

How could they not do that again?

4. rcampore says: Apr 2, 2012 1:11 PM

Anything they can do to grab the NY headlines from the big brother other than actually winning something of course.

I will have my popcorn ready if they are on Hard Knocks. Should be like football’s version of Jersey Shore!

5. nyyjetsknicks says: Apr 2, 2012 1:12 PM

Report: The New York Jets are in negotiations with ringling brothers and barnum and bailey circus for the trademark “greatest show on earth”. When asked why the Jets wanted the trademark they said  “we feel like we’re the best circus around”.

6. kingbeason52 says: Apr 2, 2012 1:12 PM

these jets articles are just getting ridiculous…seriously..

7. terraj35 says: Apr 2, 2012 1:12 PM

Man im glad im not a Jets fan. That franchise is so desperate for attention. It’s become the Giants little sister

8. vontazemebro says: Apr 2, 2012 1:13 PM

Teams that have their sights set solely on winning a league championship usually don’t want such distractions. I guess the Jets aren’t interested in winning championships then.

Then if a competitive sports team is not interested in besting their rivals, what could the next reason be?

9. 49erstim says: Apr 2, 2012 1:14 PM

Yeah. We can call this one… “The Jets part 2: Highway to Seven (wins)” lol

10. skinheadsam says: Apr 2, 2012 1:14 PM

“The Jets made for an entertaining and highly rated season during the summer of 2012 and having Tebow on board will only send those ratings even higher as football fans around the country settle in to watch after eating a goddamn snack.”

The Jets were on Hard Knocks in 2010 (obviously can’t be 2012 since summer of 2012 isn’t even here yet). And what’s up with the “goddamn snack”? Very strange sentence.

11. ingraven says: Apr 2, 2012 1:16 PM

Jets won’t rule out another year of NOT making the playoffs

12. all32 says: Apr 2, 2012 1:16 PM

It’s recess Rex get the kids to the play ground. Oh goody!!

13. getit28 says: Apr 2, 2012 1:16 PM

Josh alpher, please go take a vacation or something. 2 out of every 3 stories are about the jets and or tebow.

give it a rest PLEASE

14. whatnojets says: Apr 2, 2012 1:20 PM

Look at the HBO Hard Knocks web site!

Do you know who that is???

15. jakek2 says: Apr 2, 2012 1:21 PM

When will Jets’ fans WAKE UP????? This team does NOT care about winning football games.

16. ampats says: Apr 2, 2012 1:23 PM

Lets hope so. HBO will have a jackpot filming from Florham Park , home of the No Ring Circus.

17. chawk12thman says: Apr 2, 2012 1:23 PM

Jets want to limit outside distractions for Tebow was a headline the other day. Now this headline. Can we take a Tebow break and concentrate on more important issues for the NFL?

18. mblaketexanfan says: Apr 2, 2012 1:24 PM

I must’ve slipped into a coma from all the Jets talk because, apparently, summer 2012 has already happened!

19. TxGrown says: Apr 2, 2012 1:29 PM

It’s official now. The Jets aren’t about winning…they’re about marketing.

20. detroitrollin22 says: Apr 2, 2012 1:31 PM

the Jets live in their own world

21. sportsmeccabi says: Apr 2, 2012 1:32 PM

Yes! I love the personality of Rex Ryan and the atmosphere he helps create. It’s perfect for TV. They should do hard knocks every year.

22. vikescry1 says: Apr 2, 2012 1:33 PM

thats funny didnt they just say last week they were going to try to keep tebow out of the media? bahahahahahahahaha what a laughing stock they are.

23. j0esixpack says: Apr 2, 2012 1:34 PM

I’d watch for sure.

After 2 weeks hanging out with the NY Jets we can expect that Tebow will be a gay, homeless crack addict.

Should be interesting.

24. tformation says: Apr 2, 2012 1:35 PM

All for it. The Jets on Hard Knocks was very entertaining. Add Tebow into the mix, and that’s some fine reality TV.

If not the Jets, make it the 49ers. Harbuagh would be an interesting coach to watch… especially with Randy Moss in there too…

25. olskool711 says: Apr 2, 2012 1:37 PM

You’ve got to be kidding!

The Jets don’t seem to learn from their mistakes.

Sincerely,
    Ryan L.

26. whatnojets says: Apr 2, 2012 1:39 PM

mblaketexanfan says:
    Apr 2, 2012 1:24 PM

—————————————-

LOL!!! It was an exciting pre-season!

27. rtk23 says: Apr 2, 2012 1:43 PM

Goddamn snack is a Rex Ryan reference from their appearance on hard knocks.

28. thejuddstir says: Apr 2, 2012 1:44 PM

I agree that it will be another year of “hard knocks” for the jets…..they should be getting use to it by now.

29. billsfan27 says: Apr 2, 2012 1:44 PM

Literally.

30. profootballwalk says: Apr 2, 2012 1:46 PM

This is the year the Toronto Bills bypass the Jets.

31. willyalistentothis says: Apr 2, 2012 1:47 PM

He has perfected the holder’s stance.

32. whatnojets says: Apr 2, 2012 1:47 PM

mblaketexanfan says:
    Apr 2, 2012 1:24 PM

———————————-

And you missed the AFC playoff game!!

Jets 8- Browns 0

Touchdown pass from Sanchez to Tebow to Holmes.

Two point conversion ny Tebow!

33. babyhorsemorgan says: Apr 2, 2012 1:50 PM

With Tebow on board, they will change the name of the series to “Setbacks And Obstacles Which Once Overcome Make You A Stronger And Better Person, Amen.”.

34. CKL says: Apr 2, 2012 1:58 PM

WOW…I ALMOST feel sorry for Jets fans (the good ones) after this offseason so far and that’s not something I say lightly being as I hate the NYJ and am a Pats fan.

35. jcjets says: Apr 2, 2012 1:59 PM

@vikescry1 they didn’t say anything about limiting Tebow..that was a “media report.”

Which is the problem with these anonymous sources, and media reports..people just believe the story regardless of whether its true or actually came from the team/player.

36. gmen1987 says: Apr 2, 2012 2:06 PM

Please let it be so. We need another year of the Jets.

Possible subplots:

The Swinger and the Virgin.
    Tale of Two Quarterbacks who can’t throw.
    Antonio Cromarite stars in “Five 5 year olds is enough”

37. savocabol1 says: Apr 2, 2012 2:13 PM

Before the offseason, I was not a fan of the Jets. Primarily because they are thrown at you by ESPN and the likes and forced upon us as if they are an important team that warrants endless amount of analyzing.

Now with the Tebow circus and PFT up their butt I can safely say I hate the Jets. I will be rooting for a complete and udder disaster happening to them for this upcoming season. Thank you media, for giving me yet another team to dispise.

38. 49erstim says: Apr 2, 2012 2:16 PM

I hope I’m not getting “thumbs down” for that awesome “Highway to Heaven” reference! I picture Tebow as Michael Landon and Rex as his fat sidekick!

How about you, I don’t know, work on your football skills and team chemistry and stop worrying about being reality stars!

39. rayingram42 says: Apr 2, 2012 2:22 PM

As a bills fan i really can care less about tha jets n their loud mouth couch,their turning out to b a joke.

40. armchairqb says: Apr 2, 2012 2:23 PM

The Jets have always been a sitcom … this would just make it official.

41. 4gone says: Apr 2, 2012 2:25 PM

Sanchez, Rex, Holmes, Tebow…now Hard Knocks.
    Can you say desparate for attention.

If they stay true to their draft board, I’m guessing this years draft will be Snooki, Kim Kardashian, Paris Hilton and Lindsey Lohan.

42. cmdrsmooth says: Apr 2, 2012 2:26 PM

Jets would be the only team worth watching in this No Fun League.

43. 4gone says: Apr 2, 2012 2:29 PM

You know what Sanchez, Rex, Tebow, Snooki, Kardashian, Hilton, Lohan have in common?

They are all only known for things other than being productive at their chosen profession.

Celebrities who don’t accomplish anything only become punchlines

44. erod22 says: Apr 2, 2012 2:33 PM

I guess they have to stay relevant somehow in New York.

45. txtuff says: Apr 2, 2012 2:40 PM

I’m so tired of Rex Ryan’s mouth, please pick anybody else!

46. rahavort says: Apr 2, 2012 2:44 PM

Jets this, Jets that. JetsJetsJetsJets, that’s all the headlines have been. I guess if they aren’t running their mouths then they need to be in the news. Now that I think of it…maybe Ryan Leaf is sick of the Jets headlines himself…huh

47. alewatcher says: Apr 2, 2012 2:49 PM

Make it stop!

48. richerie13 says: Apr 2, 2012 2:54 PM

Why don’t they just go to camp and learn how to play the game of football so they can win a few games instead of trying to compete against Barnum and Bailley.

49. sportmentary says: Apr 2, 2012 3:01 PM

So much for wanting to downplay the media spotlight. They’re trying to place a leash on Tebow in that regard but they don’t care that they’re making asses of themselves in a public forum like HBO.

The good things for opposing NY Jets fans is that doing these types of shows distracts the team for doing what their fans want them to do and that’s focus on winning.

50. bleedgreen11 says: Apr 2, 2012 3:08 PM

Excuse me, can you bloggers please stop cursing in your articles. This is as many as 3 curse words in 3 different articles I have read in the past 3 days.

I have a 10 year old around the house and he loves football and reading, therefore, reading about football. I do not appreciate him asking me what “goddamn” means.

This is serious. There is no need to curse to get your point across.

51. maxvv says: Apr 2, 2012 3:12 PM

I’m starting to hate my own team. Is Rex even a real person or just some kind of sideshow robot? I thought humans were supposed to learn from their mistakes.

52. whatnojets says: Apr 2, 2012 3:29 PM

bleedgreen11 says:
    Apr 2, 2012 3:08 PM

————————————–

Goddamm check spell! I thought it was catching all the goddamm curse words!!

My goodamm apologies!

53. sportmentary says: Apr 2, 2012 3:36 PM

@bleedgreen11, While I’m the first to curse, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with a parent asking for civility when it comes to posting. I’m sure that NBS has something in their terms about profanity.

There’s no need to mock someone for asking us to act in a civil manner.

Now I’ll sit back and wait more everyone to insult and hammer me! :)

54. wtfchiefs says: Apr 2, 2012 3:42 PM

There’s no need for Hard Knocks when everyone can just come to PFT every 30 seconds and get a useless Jets update.

55. dlmcc1010 says: Apr 2, 2012 3:50 PM

Im not even Jets fan but I feel like HBO would be crazy to pick anyone else for Hard Knocks. It’s supposed
    To be entertaining. Look at the ridiculous collection of people on this team, how can this not be a train wreck waiting to happen

56. dannyreneau says: Apr 2, 2012 4:00 PM

“settle in to watch after eating a goddamn snack” LMAO

57. richfudastahz says: Apr 2, 2012 4:16 PM

If you haven’t seen this yet you won’t appreciate what the Jets are going to do this season.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ&ob=av2e

58. farvefromover says: Apr 2, 2012 4:25 PM

screw the jets

59. EJ says: Apr 2, 2012 5:09 PM

Just what everyone wants to see.

60. detroitcityryda says: Apr 2, 2012 5:10 PM

They should change teams every year I don’t wann see the stupid fat ass Ryan crack jokes but with tebowmania moving there , big ratings will make HBO make sure it’s the stupid jets

61. blackdonnelly says: Apr 2, 2012 5:12 PM

My question is if indeed the Nyets make the scene one more time in “Hard Knocks” am I tuning into reality TV, or a sitcom gone quite wrong, or a daytime drama a la “As the Stomach Turns”……….

62. mvp43 says: Apr 2, 2012 5:13 PM

Anything to steal a little thunder from big brother….

63. tluke25 says: Apr 2, 2012 5:13 PM

In the words of Bart Scott, “Can’t wait!”

64. iboogietoo says: Apr 2, 2012 6:48 PM

NBC….you need to put a muzzle on Alper…..His comment “…. eating a goddamn snack” is profane, poor taste for any columnist, and sounds more like what jets fans might consider an Hors d’oeuvre exiting Ryan’s mouth or other end.

65. cap1378 says: Apr 2, 2012 10:39 PM

It just keeps getting better and better!!