Tim Tebow’s arrival guarantees the Jets a pretty bright spotlight during training camp this summer and they don’t seem to mind the idea of adding television cameras to the mix.
Gary Myers of the New York Daily News reports that Jets owner Woody Johnson “did not rule out” a return engagement on HBO’s Hard Knocks this summer when asked about it at the opening of a NFL store in New York on Monday. Johnson said that there hasn’t been a formal invitation sent their way, but it wouldn’t be surprising to see that coming soon.
The Jets made for an entertaining and highly rated season during the summer of 2012 and having Tebow on board will only send those ratings even higher as football fans around the country settle in to watch after eating a goddamn snack. It’s hard to think of a team with a more reality show ready list of storylines than the Jets bring to the table and it’s impossible to think of a team that welcomes the kind of spotlight that comes with being on such a show more than the Jets.
Interest in being on the show this season would be a change of heart from last year. General manager Mike Tannenbaum was on PFT Live last year and said that the Jets weren’t down with a return engagement. It’s a different year and a different team now, though, and, as many have pointed out in the wake of the Tebow trade, it isn’t a team that’s shy about grabbing for headlines.
As mentioned above, the spotlight is going to be on the team under any circumstances, so it isn’t like adding cameras to the mix would make a massive difference at their camp. It also wouldn’t make players all that uncomfortable since just about all of them have already gone through the process once.