Bus Cook “in shock” about Claiborne test score

Morris+Claiborne+meDSa6Lyo0qm Getty Images

ESPN has confirmed our report that LSU cornerback Morris Claiborne scored a four (yes, four) on the 50-question Wonderlic test.

Adam Schefter of ESPN also has gotten a quote from Claiborne’s agent, Bus Cook.

“I haven’t heard a word about it,” Cook said of the score.  “I haven’t talked to anybody about it.  All I know is that [Claiborne] was from a complicated defensive system and he flourished in it.  I’ve never seen any sort of deficiency in him.  I’m sitting here in shock at what you’re telling me.
“And if it is true, how does that get out?  I thought the Commissioner was going to put safeguards on this information and there would be severe discipline if it ever did get out.  I don’t know if he scored a 4 or a 40.  All I know is he’s a great kid, he’s smart, and I’ve been thoroughly impressed with everything about him.”
The truth is that Cook shouldn’t be in shock.  With ample samples of the Wonderlic available, Cook and every agent worth his or her commission should know before the kid takes the test the neighborhood in which his score is expected to land.
Moreover, if the sudden assertion elsewhere that Claiborne has a learning disability is true (and that argument would tend to conflict with Cook’s comments), it becomes even more important for Cook to know about it and to take steps aimed at protecting his client from being put into a situation that will result in an unjust outcome.
And so, regardless of why or how Claiborne scored so low, Cook should have known it was coming, and Cook should have either tried to find a way to improve the score — or Cook should have advised Claiborne not to take the test.
That’s a point Dan Patrick has been making for a long time, and it’s a great one.  Incoming rookies routinely decline to run the 40 or participate in certain drills.  If there’s any concern that the score will be low, why not refuse to take the Wonderlic?  The easy explanation for refusing would be that the player doesn’t believe the NFL will maintain the confidentiality of the score.
If the score doesn’t impact draft stock, then refusing to submit to the test shouldn’t matter, either.
The NFL can gnash its teeth all it wants about the fact that the information gets out.  Regardless, the information will continue to get out.  Everything relating to the draft gets out — whether it’s the Wonderlic scores or or stupid/funny things guy said during interviews or which guys failed drug tests at the Scouting Combine (there’s already one fairly high-profile name link to a failed February 2012 drug test).
Since a low Wonderlic score invariably is met with the argument that it won’t affect the player’s draft stock because the score doesn’t matter, the bigger question is why does the NFL keep using the Wonderlic test?

Maybe every player should refuse to take it until the NFL provides a compelling explanation for continuing to insist that they submit to a test that doesn’t say anything about their football ability, especially since the NFL can’t guarantee that the information won’t be disclosed.  Maybe, in the end, that will prompt the NFL to quit using a test that apparently has no correlation to a guy’s ultimate performance.

This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
Permalink 139 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories
139 Responses to “Bus Cook “in shock” about Claiborne test score”
  1. chc4 says: Apr 3, 2012 1:44 PM

2. ubummer says: Apr 3, 2012 1:44 PM

3. dsimp724 says: Apr 3, 2012 1:45 PM

I’ll bet he could name all of his kids though

4. daysend564 says: Apr 3, 2012 1:45 PM

You’d have to assume them to be smart to decline to take the test. The test results prove this is not the case!

5. emoser says: Apr 3, 2012 1:45 PM

Well, if nothing else maybe the score helps the league target the particularly dumb incoming players who need extra financial counseling so they aren’t bankrupt within three years of retiring.

6. dmartin17 says: Apr 3, 2012 1:45 PM

It’s a good point, why don’t more athletes decline it? Is it because they all hope to do good in it?

This starts at the top. Have Luck pass on it. He doesn’t need it. Would’ve been a strong statement.

7. realnflmaster says: Apr 3, 2012 1:45 PM

This kid is an idiot. B-U-S-T. He’d fit well in Tampa.

8. nflfollower says: Apr 3, 2012 1:46 PM

Honey badger don’t care. If honey badger wanted to score 35 on the wonderlic, he would’ve TAKEN a 35, but honey badger just don’t care. And neither should you.

9. joetoronto says: Apr 3, 2012 1:46 PM

“All I know is that [Claiborne] was from a complicated defensive system and he flourished in it.”

Complicated for what, college ball?

The kid could very well end up being a great one, especially as a Man CB.

10. mjkelly77 says: Apr 3, 2012 1:47 PM

Maybe he was attempting to get a “perfect” score by getting them all wrong and really only missed on four questions.

11. mdpickles says: Apr 3, 2012 1:47 PM

You are right, the leaking of this information COULD cost a prospect millions (and agents too!). But if a team cannot get an accurate assessment of a prospect’s intellect before the draft, than that’s on the team who drafted the prospect.

12. packattack12 says: Apr 3, 2012 1:47 PM

Bang Biscuit!

13. chawk12thman says: Apr 3, 2012 1:47 PM

Testing is bad? What is different about him over the other NFL draft prospects?

14. mvp43 says: Apr 3, 2012 1:47 PM

Maybe the NFL should scratch the Wonderlic and just hire Jeff Ireland to conduct all rookie interviews………..

15. Nicholas Tredway says: Apr 3, 2012 1:48 PM

I graduated highschool with a 1.6 GPA but scored over 1100 on my SAT’s.

There are different types of intelligence and effort.

Who knows?

16. yssupasigninnamnotyep says: Apr 3, 2012 1:48 PM

And Favre is flabbergasted!

17. 66ray66 says: Apr 3, 2012 1:49 PM

As far as refusing the test, Florio evidently has never worked in the private sector where employers regularly give “personality” tests to applicants. These tests have nothing to do with the position you are applying for either but, refuse to take the test, and employers will not consider you for employment. The NFL can choose to refuse to employ any player who refuses to take the test.

18. ebbycalvinlaloosh says: Apr 3, 2012 1:51 PM

The Wonderlic does not directly correlate to NFL success. It can, though, be an indication of a problem that might affect the player’s chances for success in the NFL. Can he digest and regurgitate X’s and O’s? Does this perceived lack of intelligence lead to poor decision-making off the field? Did he simply not try? Does that mean he may not try at certain aspects of his job?

I see the Wonderlic as a relevant evaluation tool, and it should continue to be used. And I don’t think confidentiality should be an issue. Do we keep draft prospects’ 40-times confidential? What about their height and weight?

19. kane337 says: Apr 3, 2012 1:51 PM

Many vaild points. The NFL needs to lock this up or get rid of it.

20. pooflingingmonkey says: Apr 3, 2012 1:52 PM

I worked for the NFLPA back in `87, and when I was there, two players scored four on their tests. Brent Fullwood and Roger Vick. Neither of them had meaningful careers, both were considered busts. Four is the lowest score I’ve ever heard of, but it’s likely some have done worse.

Getting a four on the Wunderlik means one of two things: 1) You weren’t trying, or 2) You’re functionally illiterate.

We took it in our office a few years back, and the worst score was 15. It’s not that hard of a test, but the questions get harder as the test goes on.

I wouldn’t draft a player who scored this low, unless he was a NT.

21. orbearider66 says: Apr 3, 2012 1:52 PM

Bus Cook = Putting the Spin on as if his commission depended on it

22. randomguy9999 says: Apr 3, 2012 1:52 PM

as NFL playbooks get more and more complex, a 22ish college graduate player that is unable to put up a respectable score on a test that the average 10 year old would ace inside of a few minutes IS very relevant..

wouldn’t teams want to know whether the guy they are spending millions on is capable of addition and word association so he can comprehend a written document?

implying there shouldn’t be a basic intelligence test in the draft process is absurd…

23. okldr8daz says: Apr 3, 2012 1:52 PM

Was he shocked because four was too high?

24. LoCoSu@%s says: Apr 3, 2012 1:53 PM

meh, unless its a QB, GMs dont really care about Wonderlic scores.

25. dino2997 says: Apr 3, 2012 1:53 PM

The wonderlic score does matter. Throughout the years we’ve been hearing about players that got low scores and how it doesn’t matter but none of those players have ever panned out.

The only exception is Dan Marino but that was nearly 30 years ago.

26. jasleach says: Apr 3, 2012 1:53 PM

Do you think Bus Cook is in shock that he actually got 4 correct !?!?

27. radrntn says: Apr 3, 2012 1:53 PM

seems pretty obvious LSU let’s their athletes play regardless what their GPA is, and the NCAA turns a blind eye to anything when it comes to the SEC . J-Bust, and his purple drank is all the proof I need.
    They are to busy trying to find anything in the PAC 12…..almost like how white water has anything to do with Monica L.

28. olebucknasty says: Apr 3, 2012 1:54 PM

I’m not taking the wonderlic test….I’d rather you think I’m dumb than know I’m dumb.

29. jhart615 says: Apr 3, 2012 1:55 PM

The kid’s gunna be a top 5 pick regardless. Let’s move on.

30. bunjy96 says: Apr 3, 2012 1:55 PM

Never felt the test was worthwhile in the grand scheme of things in the NFL, unless the person is dyslexic.

31. darthsaint says: Apr 3, 2012 1:56 PM

Seriously, how are these random leaks happening? It makes little to no sense at all.

I like Cook’s point about the Commish is supposed to have buttoned this down and will be punishing those severely. Guess we’ll see some more season long suspensions soon.

But if I were a player…having this information leak is damaging to your personal brand. Seems if the league is leaking it…that is something players could file suit. As if the NFL doesn’t have many suits against it already!

32. fijabbersman345 says: Apr 3, 2012 1:56 PM

This is getting so overblown. He scored low. Some people aren’t academically oriented, and that doesn’t mean you should get ostracized for it.

33. themonster49 says: Apr 3, 2012 1:56 PM

The NFL should make it officially mandatory to take and mandatory to display fully confirmed results to the public. I personally like hearing about the Wonderlic scores. Gives me another reason to get into football and it’s players, and That is Always a good thing.

34. prime311 says: Apr 3, 2012 1:56 PM

I wonder how many college juniors that don’t play football or basketball would score 10 or less on the Wonderlic.

35. touchdownroddywhite says: Apr 3, 2012 1:56 PM

I could score a 20 on that thing in my sleep. Pathetic.

36. AlohaMrHand says: Apr 3, 2012 1:56 PM

I’d like to see regular armchair athletes do this Wonderlic test and see what they get

37. mtheparrothead says: Apr 3, 2012 1:59 PM

So the issue isn’t that these guys went to institutions of higher learning and learned nothing, it’s that people are being made know of it? K. Got it.

38. gavinmac says: Apr 3, 2012 2:00 PM

Why does the Wonderlic score have to be confidential, if the player’s weight, 40 yard daskh times, and number of reps bench pressing 225 pounds are not confidential?

39. hrmlss says: Apr 3, 2012 2:00 PM

“I’m sitting here in shock at what you’re telling me.” “And Brett says he can still throw the ball like ten years ago.”

40. blacknole08 says: Apr 3, 2012 2:00 PM

Maybe he has test anxiety? Still no excuse for scoring that low on a test that means nothing in the long run.

41. tombradysponytail says: Apr 3, 2012 2:01 PM

Who cares what his wonderlic score is? If anything that is going to be more predictive of how he does in life after football, not during football. His job in football is a pretty simple:

“Hey Morris, stand over there and if a guy with they ball heads your way, destroy him.”

That’s all he needs to know to succeed in his job.

42. lerchiam says: Apr 3, 2012 2:01 PM

Bus Cook is used to working with stupid clients…

43. whatnojets says: Apr 3, 2012 2:02 PM

I just took a quick Wonderlic sample test.
    I scored 10 out of 10 and it took me some twenty seconds to complete.

Maybe I should be a first round pick?

44. wetpaperbag3 says: Apr 3, 2012 2:02 PM

Funny how these wonderlic scores get leaked RIGHT before the draft; likely by teams trying to lower a player’s value in order for them to get that player at a lower draft slot and ultimately paying them less money.

As a side note, having a high wonderlic score doesn’t equate to greatness in the NFL. Ryan Leaf scored a 27 and look at him now. QB Drew Henson had a score (42) higher than Brett Favre (22), Peyton Manning (28), Ben Roethlisberger (25), Philip Rivers (30), Steve Young (33), and Tom Brady (33). Where has Henson turned that 42 into greatness?

45. whatnojets says: Apr 3, 2012 2:03 PM

Hey Morris! Get a new agent! The one you have is dumber than you!!

46. vikingdoode says: Apr 3, 2012 2:03 PM

He can play football who cares but letting him out in public that might be scary

47. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Apr 3, 2012 2:04 PM

Drew Brees is speechless.

48. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Apr 3, 2012 2:05 PM

tombradysponytail says:Apr 3, 2012 2:01 PM

That’s all he needs to know to succeed in his job.
    _________

Based on your typos, I can guess what your Wonderlic score would be.

49. usmutts says: Apr 3, 2012 2:07 PM

If you are an LSU grad and a Saints fan since Archie, as am I, the year 2012 will live in infamy. The humiliating BCS game. The prevent-victory defense by the Saints in the San Fran game. The shocking, depressing bounty scandal, and now an LSU player who’s been a college student for three years gets a four on the Wonderlic.

Could it get any worse? Well, yes, I suppose it could – Brees remains unsigned.

50. mrclaytonbigsby says: Apr 3, 2012 2:07 PM

I think Cook is shocked he scored so high. I’m sure he took the sample tests and scored a Zero.

51. rufustfireflyjr says: Apr 3, 2012 2:07 PM

Bus Cook: “I’m sitting here in shock at what you’re telling me.”

Inspector Renault in “Casablanca:” I’m shocked, SHOCKED, do you hear, that there is gambling in this establishment!”

“Here are your winnings, monsieur.”

“Oh, thank you!”

My guess is this won’t hurt his draft stock much, if at all. You don’t need to be a nuclear physicist to keep your guy from catching the ball or to cover your zone.

52. beavertonsteve says: Apr 3, 2012 2:08 PM

Two changes that would be helpful-

1) Run the 40 with pads on.

2) Replace the Wonderlic with a test involving football knowledge type questions.

Do anyone really care if Morris Claiborne knows that the number of daylight hours in September are closest to the hours of darkenss in March??

53. clintonportisheadd says: Apr 3, 2012 2:08 PM

I would say that someone with a 4 on a Wonderlic test has no business on a college campus. Or a junior college campus. Or ITT Tech.

54. mdd913 says: Apr 3, 2012 2:09 PM

The guy can run fast, jump high, blitz, tackle, cover, play man and zone and by all accounts is a very good team player. Who cares if he is dumb as a rock? THESE ARE FOOTBALL PLAYERS.

55. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Apr 3, 2012 2:10 PM

I guess now that Favre is really retired, Cook had to find another client.

56. 1972wasalongtimeago says: Apr 3, 2012 2:11 PM

If the NCAA had any balls whatsoever they should forgert about whether U Miami player had a lapdance bought for him, or if an OSU player got a free tattoo; and more attention to this.

They should get a hold of Claiborne’s SATs, college application, every test he took in college, every paper he wrote, all attendance records, everything.

How can you get into college and make it through one semester without having any brains whatsoever? My guess is that you can’t. And that Claiborne somewhere along the line should have been ineligible to play. And I’m also guessing that there are plenty of others at LSU like him.

57. whatnojets says: Apr 3, 2012 2:12 PM

When I was in the fourth grade, I had to take an IQ test. I scored a 140 and the teachers made me take the test iver again, This time I scored a 144. They made me re-take it again for a third time. Thinking that I scored badly, I chose different answers for many different questions. I scored at 110 and the teachers said ‘that’s better’ and sent me home!

58. jakek2 says: Apr 3, 2012 2:14 PM

Even if you’re illiterate, you should still more than a 4 by simply answering “c” to every question. A 4 means that he’s both illiterate AND dumb.

59. mjkelly77 says: Apr 3, 2012 2:15 PM

“And if it is true, how does that get out? I thought the Commissioner was going to put safeguards on this information and there would be severe discipline if it ever did get out ….”
    _____________________

Doesn’t matter how severe the discipline is if you don’t know who leaked the information.

60. rc33 says: Apr 3, 2012 2:15 PM

Must’ve scored higher than Bus thought he would.

61. nunpuncher says: Apr 3, 2012 2:16 PM

Fact: Dumb people do dumb things.

62. jcbadger34 says: Apr 3, 2012 2:16 PM

SEC – Were edjumacation iss inportent!

63. bullcharger says: Apr 3, 2012 2:17 PM

Maybe every player should refuse to take it until the NFL provides a compelling explanation for continuing to insist that they submit to a test that doesn’t say anything about their football ability, especially since the NFL can’t guarantee that the information won’t be disclosed. Maybe, in the end, that will prompt the NFL to quit using a test that apparently has no correlation to a guy’s ultimate performance.

——————

It certainly does say something about football ability. It tests basic IQ against reaction time. A player that scores high on the test is more likely to understand the NFL offensive or defensive schemes and is more likely to make a good decision in situational football.

If a guy gets a 4 on the test he has no chance in the NFL. Even random guessing should result in more than a 4.

Let the guy take it again and see if there was something wrong the first time.

64. piemasteruk says: Apr 3, 2012 2:20 PM

I don’t really get what you’re saying here. You think the NFL should get rid of the Wonderlic test because the results aren’t directly related to performance on the field. Big deal, last time I checked, base jump distance, 3-cone drill time and even 40 speed in slacks doesn’t either. Why not get rid of the whole combine eh?

And while we’re at it Mike, you’re the same guy who always preaches to us that failed Marijuana tests at the combine are important, not because the guy smokes dope but because he is apparently too hooked on it to stay clean the one day it really matters. Well, shouldn’t that apply to the Wonderlic too? With sample tests readily available and loads of time to prepare isn’t a shocking Wonderlic score significant, not because of the score itself but because the player has apparently not been bothered to study? Doesn’t bode well for playbook study and chalk board sessions once he gets into the league does it.

65. mjkelly77 says: Apr 3, 2012 2:20 PM

Maybe every player should refuse to take it (the Wonderlic test) until the NFL provides a compelling explanation …
    _________________________

Guess again. If I have an Ivy League education or am a member of Mensa, I’m certainly not going to boycott something that can only enhance my marketability.

66. 49ers1970 says: Apr 3, 2012 2:20 PM

this just shows you how much major Universities uses kids to play football. Everyone laughs at the kid but the school made millions off of his skills gets a free pass for not educating him.

67. dmcgrann says: Apr 3, 2012 2:20 PM

“Incoming rookies routinely decline to run the 40 or participate in certain drills. If there’s any concern that the score will be low, why not refuse to take the Wonderlic?”

I know the answer to that one. It’s called ego. If you’re incredibly strong but not fast, you accept that you’re not a fast guy and maybe you decline to run the 40. If you can jump extremely high and can run like the wind but aren’t real strong, you decline to bench press, accepting that you’re not a particularly strong guy.

But none of these guys wants to admit, or appear to admit, that they aren’t smart. Refusing the Wonderlic would be taken by a lot of folks as being an admission of being unintelligent.

68. lbcoach34 says: Apr 3, 2012 2:22 PM

A 4 is likley just under average if all NFL had to take it like physicals or something…and for supreme athletic skill positions; it’s likley right on average

69. brenenostler says: Apr 3, 2012 2:23 PM

That’s about 45 points short of Ryan Fitzpatrick’s score.

70. porkcarrot says: Apr 3, 2012 2:24 PM

The wonderlic has no relevance to athletic ability. It doesn’t have much relevance to how someone plays football.

But a score that low says a lot about the person. Either he didn’t try at all, which should be a major red flag considering this is the most important job interview of his life. Or, he is clinically stupid. If someone can’t manage 10 or 15 on this it means they never took the time to learn basic skills. They have skated through life on their talent alone. They probably make terrible decisions.

Why take the risk on someone like that?

71. weswelkerspornstash says: Apr 3, 2012 2:24 PM

Maybe he wanted to down grade his stock , so he wouldn’t have to play for a shi**y team?

72. bullcharger says: Apr 3, 2012 2:25 PM

wetpaperbag3 says:Apr 3, 2012 2:02 PM

——————-

A great score on the test doesn’t guarantee great performance in the NFL at all. But a really bad score is a problem.

It’s the same as a QB with great arm strength like Jamarcus Russell doesn’t alway do well in the NFL, but really bad arm strength is a big problem.

The test is just one check box that is equally important to all the other ones.

73. markymark5005 says: Apr 3, 2012 2:27 PM

74. vegassaint says: Apr 3, 2012 2:27 PM

Warren Sapp is reporting that Jeremy Shockey is the one who leaked Claiborne’s score

75. back2cali says: Apr 3, 2012 2:28 PM

Better to have people think you are an idiot than to take a test as a prerequisite for a multi million dollar contract and relieve all doubt….

A damn preschooler can score a 5.

76. winstonhussein says: Apr 3, 2012 2:30 PM

He’s shocked…I took the under at 3, now I’m out a cool 20.
    I’ll get it back if he tests positive for something though.
    This is looking doubtful, because apparently there aren’t many positives about him taking a test.

77. marthisdil says: Apr 3, 2012 2:30 PM

Or, you know, the NFL could make it a requirement to enter the draft and make all the scores public.

78. mjkelly77 says: Apr 3, 2012 2:31 PM

wetpaperbag3 says:Apr 3, 2012 2:02 PM

________________________

Uhhhh … athletic ability has a little something to do with playing football as well.

79. daysend564 says: Apr 3, 2012 2:31 PM

Nicholas Tredway says:
    I graduated highschool with a 1.6 GPA but scored over 1100 on my SAT’s.
    ================================
    2400 scale or the 1600 scale?

One is marginally average, while the other is Claiborne numbers (8th percentile).

80. jimmylions says: Apr 3, 2012 2:36 PM

Q. How is he a student at LSU if he can only score a 4 on a Wonderlic?

A. Because Claiborne wasn’t getting an education, he was just playing football on TV without getting paid. He was just being used. There’s lots of atheltes like him who leave college sports with nothing to show for it.

Claiborne’s Wonderlic score shows that LSU knew his “academic” scholarship was a joke. He wasn’t required to pass tests, write essays, or do homework. Education was never part of the plan.

No education means he wasn’t really compensated for playing at LSU. It also means their football program is dirty.

Welcome to the machine.

81. biggregg44 says: Apr 3, 2012 2:36 PM

please. this test has no bearing on if the kid can play or not. he isn’t going to work to be an engineer or some CEO of a fortune 500 company. he’s going to play DB in the NFL. “see that man there, run with him”. “see this area, cover it”. “see that ball in the air, if its close to you, go get it”

82. sirninjalot says: Apr 3, 2012 2:37 PM

See wr, run with him..
    See ball, smack it down or catch…

I do not need a cb to think about these things..just react

83. theytukrjobs says: Apr 3, 2012 2:37 PM

The wonderlic test is a 5 answer multiple choice test with a time limit. If a monkey were to furiously push buttons in random order, said monkey would score a 10 on the test on average. Scoring a 4 indicates that Claiborne guessed on virtually every answer and/or was unable to complete the test in time, or some combination of the two.

So in Claiborne’s defense, anything below a 10 is basically the same since guessing every answer gets you a 10 on average. In fact, any score from 0 to 15 should pretty much be considered as dumb as a random number generator. If he were to retake the test he’d make sure to complete it in the time limit by guessing all difficult questions and probably score higher.

I took two sample tests online and scored 46 and 50. My IQ is 128. I can say with confidence that the average college student would easily get over a 30 on this test. Anything under a 40 tells you that the player isn’t particularly intelligent. Maybe smart for a football player, but nothing special. I’d say that 46 and up tells you the dude is pretty smart.

But keep in mind that football smart and book smart aren’t all that related. Favre was a really smart QB on the field while dumber than a box of rocks off it. But yeah Claiborne’s test score tells you that he’s super dumb, for what that’s worth. But his film tells you he’s smart on the field.

84. notoriousbri says: Apr 3, 2012 2:38 PM

Neon Boudeaux thinks these types of tests are culturally biased

85. drewsylvania says: Apr 3, 2012 2:39 PM

H0ly conjecture-fest, Batman.

86. tombradysponytail says: Apr 3, 2012 2:39 PM

thankheavenfornumberseven says:Apr 3, 2012 2:05 PM

tombradysponytail says:Apr 3, 2012 2:01 PM

That’s all he needs to know to succeed in his job.
    _________

Based on your typos, I can guess what your Wonderlic score would be.

__________

Well, I guess I should be happy that using proper grammar and scoring high on the Wonderlic has no bearing on how well I’ll do as a currency trade. M’boy.

87. mdpickles says: Apr 3, 2012 2:41 PM

Maybe he had a concussion?

88. babyhorsemorgan says: Apr 3, 2012 2:42 PM

Slightly below average for the cornerback position.

89. pleazenufalready says: Apr 3, 2012 2:42 PM

ubummer says: Apr 3, 2012 1:44 PM

——————————————————–
    Wrong! It only puts stupid people at a disadvantage. The first 20 questions or so are not that difficult…..anyone who is capable of holding down a regular job (i.e., not a pro-athlete) should easily be able to score at least a fifteen. Hell, shortly after I graduated from college, I took it half-baked and scored a 42. It’s just not that tough!

90. rushmatic says: Apr 3, 2012 2:43 PM

ubummer says:

___________________

“A boy is 17 years old. His sister is twice as old. When the boy is 23 years old, what will be the age of his sister.”

Inherently racist!!

91. thankheavenfornumberseven says: Apr 3, 2012 2:45 PM

tombradysponytail says:Apr 3, 2012 2:39 PM

thankheavenfornumberseven says:Apr 3, 2012 2:05 PM

tombradysponytail says:Apr 3, 2012 2:01 PM

That’s all he needs to know to succeed in his job.
    _________

Based on your typos, I can guess what your Wonderlic score would be.

__________

______________

Did you mean currency “trader”? Is that what they’re calling Roadkill Scraper these days?

92. rabbdogg says: Apr 3, 2012 2:48 PM

he did not get a 4 people..have some common sense…these “leaks ” happen every year..its a team that wants to draft him but are a few picks too low..so they put out these “leaks” hoping the teams in front of them will pass so they can swoop in and draft them..just like the cowboys did with dez bryant and his so-called “heart problem” the day before the draft

93. mdd913 says: Apr 3, 2012 2:48 PM

That’s all he needs to know to succeed in his job.

——————————————————————–

Too violent for commissioner Goodell, sorry. More like “if the guy with the ball heads your way, try to tackle him gently and make sure he doesn’t hit the ground too hard”

94. pongonfl says: Apr 3, 2012 2:48 PM

Why do you assume the NFL is looking for high scores?
    As a defensive player his stock likely went up.

95. geo1113 says: Apr 3, 2012 2:53 PM

ubummer says:
    Apr 3, 2012 1:44 PM

——————————
    Just a little sample, but please tell me how these questions are inherently racist?

When rope is selling at $.10 a foot, how many feet can you buy for sixty cents?

A train travels 20 feet in 1/5 second. At this same speed, how many feet will it travel in three seconds?

A boy is 17 years old and his sister is twice as old. When the boy is 23 years old, what will be the age of his sister?

96. goldrush36 says: Apr 3, 2012 2:55 PM

Vernon Davis only scored a 20…. I know there’s a big difference in the # but that is still average at best and he is extremely intelligent. Just shows there’s nothing to see here

97. xxwhodatxx says: Apr 3, 2012 2:59 PM

nflfollower says:
    Apr 3, 2012 1:46 PM

——-

This guy isn’t the honey badger

98. daysend564 says: Apr 3, 2012 3:00 PM

Maybe the guy is smarter than we all think!

Maybe he answered them all wrong on purpose. Who wants to go play in Cleveland? With the rookie scale, fall a few spots where some of the better teams will come and get you. You’ll get your $$$ on your 2nd contract.

99. thesmiteofthewicked says: Apr 3, 2012 3:08 PM

chc4-

“Learning disability? Did you pull that outta midair? Maybe he’s just stupid. Being unbelievably stupid does not equal a learning disability. Can’t stand when people search for ways to explain away issues. Like Tiger’s sex rehab. Gimme a break.”

Yeah, just ignore the fact that he may have a learning disability, because it’s so much easier to insult someone who is just “stupid”!

The comments here are embarrassing. Why is it so hard to believe someone may have a learning disability?

100. wwwfugu says: Apr 3, 2012 3:14 PM

@geo1133

1- Brothers don’t buy rope, they buy hemp.
    2- Brothers don’t ride the train, they rob the train.
    3- You talkin’ incess

101. lv00799 says: Apr 3, 2012 3:14 PM

Give the kid a break.L.S.U.. players major in “FOOTBALL”.

102. mcgil38 says: Apr 3, 2012 3:16 PM

@ Ubummer

You said “The Wonderlic should be abolished because like most standardized tests it is inherently racist and puts minority candidates at a disadvantage.”

Here’s a link to a sample test, please, someone, anyone, take a look and respond to me on how it’s “racist”:

There is nothing “racist” about the test what-so-ever. It’s a basic knowledge test that increases in difficulty as you move forward through the questions…

103. brennankm46 says: Apr 3, 2012 3:17 PM

I can’t wait until you stand by this post for two or three days, only to back off, per the usual.

104. FinFan68 says: Apr 3, 2012 3:17 PM

He would have likely gotten a higher score by simply answering choice “A” for each question

105. ruthlessonfurburger says: Apr 3, 2012 3:24 PM

mcgil38 says:Apr 3, 2012 3:16 PM

@ Ubummer

———————————————————-

4 out of 50…means he would average about 1 out 12…I’d like to give him the benefit of doubt and say that he might get two of these….

106. anonymouslyanonymouscommentor says: Apr 3, 2012 3:26 PM

Watching interviews with him, he seems very capable of at least scoring at least a 10-15 on the test. He does seem like a fairly anxious guy, though, and if he has a learning disability he’s probably not too confident in his test-taking abilities. I would say what most likely happened is that he let his nerves/anxiety get the best of him and couldn’t concentrate.

107. eepobee says: Apr 3, 2012 3:30 PM

I think we need to see Florio’s Wonderlic score. I’m estimating he doesn’t hit double digits…

108. tombradysponytail says: Apr 3, 2012 3:30 PM

thankheavenfornumberseven says:Apr 3, 2012 2:45 PM

____

While your correcting my typos, I just made $11,314.37.

109. chawk12thman says: Apr 3, 2012 3:32 PM

Has anyone asked Claiborne about this?

110. nomoreseasontix says: Apr 3, 2012 3:34 PM

All they need is a fast guy. He can be dumb as a sack of hair.
    “try to keep up with that tall fast guy over there, and after 10 strides, look around for the ball…”
    It ain’t brain surgery….

111. captatl says: Apr 3, 2012 3:40 PM

ubummer says:Apr 3, 2012 1:44 PM

——————————————————
    That is the most ignorant statement I have read hear. Ubummer, get a clue. This kid took the same classes as, white kids, Asian kids and Hispanic kids. Some of these kids that applied themselves most likely scored much much higher. The kids that do not apply themselves to school fail miserably. He had all of the chances to excel that any other race has. In fact as a minority, he had more of a chance. My sons graduating class last year had a black valedictorian. He lived in the projects with his grandmother. His father in prison and his mother dead from meth. He scored over 2300 on his SAT and is currently enrolled at Emory University on a Acedemic Scholarship. So dont give me the “it is racist” BS. If you want to hide behind that, then you support stupidity. If he can do it in his situation, anyone can do it.

112. realfootballfan says: Apr 3, 2012 3:42 PM

He has a learning disability, which you guys might want to throw in there while you’re aiding some pathetic team who leaked this information to try to drive him down the draft board a few spots.

113. shaunypoo says: Apr 3, 2012 3:47 PM

mcgil38 – that sample of the test doesn’t look racist to me. That doesn’t mean anything in the long run, but neither does getting 13/15 in the time allowed. I just didn’t want to do the 2 tough ones nearer the end. The rest were pretty cut and dried.

114. tdelwalk1970 says: Apr 3, 2012 3:50 PM

wonderlic…, that’s fun to say. WONDERLIC!

115. jimbo75025 says: Apr 3, 2012 3:57 PM

ubummer says:
    Apr 3, 2012 1:44 PM
    ____________

Dude have you ever seen some of the questions?

Last time I checked, months of the year and fractions were not inherently racist-pretty much everything there is basic knowledge, not rocket science.

116. bsizemore68 says: Apr 3, 2012 4:01 PM

The easy answer as to why is ” Control ” people in power love control, makes them feel good. Bill

117. upperdecker19 says: Apr 3, 2012 4:07 PM

This guy’s dumber than a bag of rocks….

Regards,
    Donovan McNabb’s comprehension of overtime rules

118. uglycassinova says: Apr 3, 2012 4:25 PM

Hmmm…
    Perhaps he thought he the top score would be awarded to the individual that finished the test first.

Just another example of what “SEC Speed” will get you.

Don’t you get a score of 4 for correctly spelling your name??
    SEC really needs to raise the requirements for enrollment,
    this should be an embarrassment for the whole league.
    Instant investigation on the academic requirements for LSU. I bet this kid never went to class most likely because he couldn’t read the signs that were installed to navigate him to the proper buildings.
    Then again it’s LSU, so it’s not unlikely that they placed giant arrows with his Jersey number on them to point him in the right direction.

119. ilovefoolsball says: Apr 3, 2012 4:35 PM

Claiborne is a baller. If you’re going to go on a stupid test that has not shown any proof to show a correlation to success in the NFL you’ll be missing out on a lot of good players.

This isn’t rocket science it’s football.

120. pelleycan says: Apr 3, 2012 4:39 PM

To all who are ridiculing this kid, he will have the last laugh….come draft day he will be an instant millionaire. The “rocks” he’s supposedly dumber than will be a huge bag of diamonds!
    I’ve watch him play his whole college career and can tell you he’s a winner a good kid to boot!

121. sullijo1 says: Apr 3, 2012 4:39 PM

What do you really expect from a place that spells “Go”….”Geaux”…..must be very confusing for the college kids there.

122. jaylord40 says: Apr 3, 2012 4:42 PM

Lets give the guy a break. He is a football player, not a scientist. So he can’t read, write or cipher. He went to LSU for god sake. When did having a brain become a prerequisite for entry into LSU football? I see him getting his Masters from LSU after football and possibly running for political office.

123. rcali says: Apr 3, 2012 4:43 PM

He’s not this dumb, he just didn’t care and or prepare. This is more of the problem.

124. bvolke says: Apr 3, 2012 4:47 PM

Think about how many morons you may run into on a daily basis at the mall, grocery store, and restaurants. Now, does it really shock you that out of the thousands upon thousands of morons that you’ve met that one of them just might have a been a star CB at LSU?

125. nolarules says: Apr 3, 2012 5:07 PM

Best part about your style of “journalism” is that you out a kid who is liable to have learning disabilities rather than outing the kid who failed the drug test. Keep you moral high ground to yourself Florio….You are in the business of ruining the lives of others and are prospering from it. So take you sanctimoniousness and put it where the sun don’t shine….Hypocrite

126. mauricebrewington says: Apr 3, 2012 5:08 PM

Gotta love chatroom racist. Funny how they all love cheering for black guys on Sunday.

127. nolarules says: Apr 3, 2012 5:09 PM

one more thing…no matter how cool you think you are doing your job and getting to hang out with athletes, they could care less about you and you will always be that nerdy little dweebe in the corner Florio

128. bbk1000 says: Apr 3, 2012 5:24 PM

Probably would have scored a six if not for misspelling his name….

129. jetzman says: Apr 3, 2012 5:38 PM

Bus was shocked ’cause in his pre test he scored a two!!

130. salukis92 says: Apr 3, 2012 5:44 PM

If anything this is a direct refection of that fine academic institution otherwise known as Louisiana State University! Gee, I wonder if Morris even went to class. What confirms LSU’s higher learning environment is that I had a buddy who went there and had a very famous basketball center in several classes with him. You know … the one that can’t make free throws. He said he wasn’t the sharpest knife in the drawer. I just saw him making the television daytime talk show circuit talking about his doctoral thesis that he is pursuing!!!

Are u kidding me!?!? Guess colleges will let anyone in if you have a high profile name and a lot of $

LSU. Great student athletic tradition!!!

131. photog7051 says: Apr 3, 2012 5:51 PM

He did about as well as LSU did against Alabama in the Championship Game.

132. Deb says: Apr 3, 2012 6:01 PM

These test scores should remain private, and the NFLPA should ensure they remain private so they don’t hamper a player’s efforts to get jobs after football. Right now, all I care about is how well the kid plays corner–and Claiborne was a standout in one of the best secondaries I’ve ever seen in the NCAA. Personally, I hope teams are stupid enough to pass on him because I’d give anything if he lasted until #24 so the Steelers could snap him up. But NFL personnel directors aren’t as caught up in this nonsense as some other are, so I won’t hold my breath.

133. bwambassador says: Apr 3, 2012 6:16 PM

So you didn’t contact Claiborne or his agent before running the story in order to get their side first. You now refuse to link to Greg Gabriel’s NFP article about Claiborne’s disability and instead treat it like it’s something that’s made up in order to cover your own butt. You’ll never get the respect you so desperately crave Florio if you keep such shoddy standards.

For those that haven’t read the article, Claiborne has a learning disability diagnosed in high school that impacts his ability to read. He used the resources provided by LSU to negate his disability in the classroom as much as possible (probably things like oral exams, auditory textbooks, etc).

Why he chose to take the test is probably a reasonable question to ask, but since the GMs already know what his score is and he undoubtedly has been candid with them about his disability, the only reason for this information to be out there is to generate hits to whatever scummy “news” site chooses to do the hit piece for some scummy GM or opposing agent that wants to drive down fan sentiment against a kid with a disability. Very cute. Hope you’re proud of yourself Florio.

134. jaylord40 says: Apr 3, 2012 7:28 PM

Finally i have some hope. A teacher told me i was as dumb as a box of rocks, but if i enrolled at LSU, they will educate me so that i’ll be slightly smarter than a box of rocks. Thanks LSU.

135. aglawman says: Apr 3, 2012 8:10 PM

A 4???? Really????

He better be glad he’s a CB that can play man…he doesn’t have to know crap.

Heck, that’s the reason he is a CB…he can’t spell Playbook much less read one.

LSU did a heck of a job getting Morris “all learned up!”

136. charliegirl1 says: Apr 4, 2012 8:44 AM

I’d love to see Bus Cook’s score on the Wonderlic. He should’ve been better prepared for this possibility. Amateur

137. espnfeedback says: Apr 4, 2012 11:00 AM

Every year many of you wait for some Poor Kid who will soon become a millionaire to score low which you think gives you license and cover for the spewing of ignorant stereotypes to blanket an entire group of people and feel better about yourselves.

@ESPNfeedback

138. granadafan says: Apr 4, 2012 12:22 PM

“jaylord40 says: Apr 3, 2012 4:42 PM
    Lets give the guy a break. He is a football player, not a scientist. So he can’t read, write or cipher. He went to LSU for god sake. When did having a brain become a prerequisite for entry into LSU football?”

Where’s the facepalm icon? A brain is required to attend Louisiana State “UNIVERSITY”. You know, it’s that place where young people gather rooms with things called books and listen to old smart people talk about math, science, history, engineering, etc. Oh wait, LSU is in the SEC where attitudes like Jaylord40 towards EDUCATION are non-existent if you were blessed genetically with athletic ability.

Jaylord40, are you the LSU president?

139. r0bry4n1sf4t says: Apr 4, 2012 4:57 PM

ubummer is right. The test is racist. It doesn’t ask any questions about dog fighting, purple drank, or dice throwing.

For real though, get a clue. This kid is just a straight up moron. It’s called a “standardized” test for a reason. I think it’s racist you think minorities should be held at a lower standard of intelligence.