New NFL uniforms look the same, but performance will change

Nike Debuts New NFL Uniforms For 2012 Season Getty Images

The Nike NFL jerseys that were unveiled today look a whole lot like the Reebok NFL jerseys that players have been wearing for years. (Except in Seattle.) But the players who tried them on say the performance will change.

Nike touts what it calls a “lock-down fit” on its jerseys, making them tighter around the shoulder pads and harder to grasp. Bears linebacker Brian Urlacher told SI.com the new jerseys will make it “harder to get held, which is good since I get held on every play.”

Seahawks safety Kam Chancellor, who modeled the “new age” new look that the Seahawks have adopted, said he likes the new uniforms for more reasons than than the aesthetics as well.

“The shrink-wrap fit, we can move our body around,” Chancellor said. “We can move and be free.”

For fans, however, the biggest question is whether other NFL teams will follow in the Seahawks’ footsteps and go with that new-age look that Nike likes. NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell suggested that it’s just a matter of time before that happens. We’re never going to see all 32 teams going with those futuristic designs that have circulated around the web for a couple years, but Nike’s uniforms are the future of the NFL.

Permalink 44 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Home, Rumor Mill
44 Responses to “New NFL uniforms look the same, but performance will change”
  1. chawk12thman says: Apr 3, 2012 6:06 PM

I thought the Hawk’s uniforms looked good. My wife says “no”. All I can do is hope performance improves at this point as my opinion really doesn’t count when it comes to clothing taste.

2. tfbuckfutter says: Apr 3, 2012 6:10 PM

I still say they should just switch to cotton uniforms.

It breathes better.

3. aequitas83 says: Apr 3, 2012 6:11 PM

NFL fans should be happy the uniforms don’t change every year. Soccer clubs in Europe change their shirt every 1-2 years. It’s horrible from the fans’ point of view, but you can’t beat it as a team. They generate crazy revenue every year because fans just keep buying the new kits.

4. tfbuckfutter says: Apr 3, 2012 6:11 PM

But the real question is…..how will the new tighter fitting uniforms help to reduce concussions?

5. brianbosworthisstonecold says: Apr 3, 2012 6:12 PM

Nike Contract=10 years of Feces

6. jade amor says: Apr 3, 2012 6:14 PM

I was hopeful for lots of redesign with the new Nike manufactured uniforms, but I was very disappointed with what I am seeing… Talk about a lot of build up for no reason.

7. kane337 says: Apr 3, 2012 6:48 PM

Puma might have been a better choice over Nike.

8. ramofsteel says: Apr 3, 2012 6:54 PM

I wonder how much these new jerseys will cost. The damn shirts cost $31 + tax/shippin. I can only imagine the jerseys.

9. gosuhgo says: Apr 3, 2012 6:54 PM

aequitas83 says:
    Apr 3, 2012 6:11 PM
    _____________________
    I was actually doing fine hating soccer and enjoying football. Glad I can keep that up.

10. duanethomas says: Apr 3, 2012 6:58 PM

Great. Now how is that going to help Buffalo or any other cold weather team in Nov/Dec??? They are going to have to layer up and be less mobile. Great!

11. dlux36 says: Apr 3, 2012 7:03 PM

Eagles back to 60s simple design
    Rams back to 80s yellow & blue
    Pays back to the Grogan / Standley days
    Broncos back to the D on the hat
    Titans….anything new

Then all will be right with the uni world

12. thegonz13 says: Apr 3, 2012 7:07 PM

The new unforms look pretty good. It’s an improvement over the lime green abominations!

13. gb4mn0 says: Apr 3, 2012 7:10 PM

I’m sure the MN lavender Larry toads are happy to hear the shade of lavender won’t be changing on their gender bending Helga hats.

14. shlort says: Apr 3, 2012 7:14 PM

Real question is, who cares? Why the NFL hopes Nike will open teams eyes to new fashions is a complete mystery. The only conclusion might be that the NFL is trying to lure a new age of fan to the stadiums. Call NASCAR and ask them how changing everything has turned out for them. Think the stadiums are empty now, keep effen with your brand.

15. zerophocus says: Apr 3, 2012 7:14 PM

This sounds a lot like the uniforms Rugby players have been using for a few years. it takes multiple people to pull the shirts on the player. it does work though, those jerseys aren’t grabbed anymore.

16. fabi0ferreira says: Apr 3, 2012 7:39 PM

I dont know what the fuss is all about. Sure, the performance may be a little beter, but aesthetically the Nike uniforms are not at all that great, or “new age”. Just ask any soccer fan, all the countries Nike represent have the same uniform, just varying colors. It’s sad, lacks personality.

17. raiderinva says: Apr 3, 2012 7:48 PM

I wish The Raiders would go with the old school away jersey….

White with silver numbers and a black outline.

I also like the black helmet with a silver stripe down the center. That is how I have my motorcycle helmet.

18. viceburgh says: Apr 3, 2012 7:50 PM

If Leshoure and Fairley aren’t more careful with their ganja habit, they may soon be wearing a different type of uniform with a “lock-down fit.”

19. homeorange says: Apr 3, 2012 7:57 PM

“Look a whole lot like the Reebok NFL jerseys that players have been wearing for years. (Except for Seattle)”? I know it’s no surprise today, but the Broncos returning to orange is a pretty obvious shift in appearance from the navy blue they’ve been in for 16 years.

20. sullijo1 says: Apr 3, 2012 8:03 PM

Isn’t Urlacher that guy that used to be a good player?

21. timtheenchanter1 says: Apr 3, 2012 8:15 PM

A few questions for those who might know:

1) What is the deal with the little squarish patch of different fabric over the lower belly and back? They’ve looked redonkulous on college players especially when they start sweating and I see these have the same design.

2) Please tell me the retail versions will not be so snug-fitting. Otherwise I’ll have to order a 5x just to squeeze my big fat belly into one of those things.

3) And MOST importantly, how long till the knockoffs start flowing in from china so I can actually afford one?

22. philliesphan says: Apr 3, 2012 8:29 PM

Glad they are not changing much (at least not yet). Some of those college uni’s are awful. I don’t need 2000 combinations, keep it simple.

23. Eric Zimmett says: Apr 3, 2012 8:38 PM

Don’t know how you passed that up, Florio

24. philtration says: Apr 3, 2012 8:42 PM

The Bears have worn the player numbers on their sleeve forever yet now they have to put them up on their shoulder for no damn reason?
    Oh I forgot… so they can move the strips and the GSH insignia up higher to make it more arena league.

I will not buy one of these.

25. kansacity88 says: Apr 3, 2012 8:49 PM

I am diggin the water proof pants though. Nice idea! I love the gloves too!

26. kansacity88 says: Apr 3, 2012 8:51 PM

@timtheenchanter1

LOL!! My thoughts exactly on the Chinese knockoffs!

27. jutts says: Apr 3, 2012 8:54 PM

Would like to see the Bears go with the Orange cages on their helmets and make the “C” about 10% bigger.

28. emoney826 says: Apr 3, 2012 8:59 PM

As long as the Packers don’t change, I could care less about these uniform stories. They should never change.

29. AlanSaysYo says: Apr 3, 2012 9:12 PM

The new jerseys are $100 for replica (more than Reebok) and $250 for authentic (less than Reebok). Good news for fans of the authentic version. Bad news for Joe Six Pack who goes for the replica.

30. bcjim says: Apr 3, 2012 9:13 PM

Great decision having a guy known for his “fined for” hits trotting out the new unis. Was Ndomagoon suh unavailable?

31. kane337 says: Apr 3, 2012 9:14 PM

I remember when all the players wore Starter gear.

32. mrmarcus55 says: Apr 3, 2012 9:27 PM

That Broncos orange going make 18 a even brighter Target. Goodbye neck.

33. skipbayless says: Apr 3, 2012 9:40 PM

Cool. I collect authentic football jerseys. Glad they’re cheaper. Now i just gotta add some NIKE to the collection.

34. 4thquartermagic says: Apr 3, 2012 10:03 PM

Pfft of course “NEW” uniforms is the future of the league. That’s how you keep racking in the money from jersey sales.

It’s bad enough no player ever stays with the team that drafted him. Even HOF’rs get the boot.

Only a matter of time before we see Andrew Luck spending his twilight in Kansas City or Cleveland.

35. tfbuckfutter says: Apr 3, 2012 10:46 PM

AlanSaysYo says: Apr 3, 2012 9:12 PM

————————————-

Indifference for grownups who know that going out in public in a jersey is ridiculous.

Even if you’re going to the game….you can just wear a t-shirt and/or hat. People will still know which team you like.

36. sportmentary says: Apr 3, 2012 11:57 PM

@tfbuckfutter good point. My friend and I were going to actually debate this very topic on my site’s Face-Off but an ESPN personality already took care of that argument. I agree with you. Adults wearing team jerseys, especially with a player’s name on it is ridiculous when worn in public.

37. detroitcityryda says: Apr 4, 2012 1:05 AM

So the nfl kids are happy with nike presents ?lions look good but they took away them shiny silver pants now they just look grey but they have a new look to them I can’t complain too much Nike did it . Except the Seahawks omg uglwyyyy ( Chelsea Barkley voice )

38. vikingdoode says: Apr 4, 2012 1:19 AM

I would like to see the Vikings go away from the yellow and add sliver to replace it.

39. lilmiddle78 says: Apr 4, 2012 1:38 AM

New uniform as a whole looks great from a player perspective, consumer version will be baggy with no elastic in the sleeves no doubt. Like the new neck line, like the multi panel look on the shoulders, like the larger GSH on bears shoulder… The authentic jerseys have always had stitched stripes, numbers and letters. Each piece had its own stitching, now there is a lot of silk screening or whatever, that’s the only big negative IMO.. As a Bears can I like it cause it’s just a new design of the proper Bears jersey! The pants look pretty cool, every player in the league will likely wear the Nike thigh & hip pads with all the bumps in em… Eeehhh whatever.. Overall I consider it a success, not like they could make drastic changes to every team’s uni. I like that idea about making the Chicago “C” 10% bigger.. Go Bears!!

40. lilmiddle78 says: Apr 4, 2012 1:47 AM

*** tfbuckfutter ***

You remind me of the time I asked back up Indians catcher (Kelly Shopach) for an autograph to send back home to my nephew… He says to me “How old are you?!?!” like it fudgin matters how old you are, if you’re a die hard fan, you probably never loose that child like enthusiasm for the game & those playing it!!

You go ahead and start a group of you “grown ups” who think its inappropriate or silly for a grown man to wear a jersey to the game or to the sports bar on Sunday.. Bring a six pack with ya, the other two fellas might appreciate some refreshments at your inaugural “uptight commitee” meeting!! Nice t-shirt!!

41. lilmiddle78 says: Apr 4, 2012 2:19 AM

*** sullijo1 ***

??? Isn’t Urlacher that guy that used to be a good player ???

I know you must just be looking to get a reaction out of us with such an obnoxiously poor take and I shouldn’t give you what you want but… Yeah here goes!!

You do realize that Urlacher is still playing at a probowl level and many years at an all pro level, right?!?! His stat line in 2011 was actually better in many categories than his 2005 def player of the year stats.. His turnover stats much better in 11 than 05, but with a few more tackles and some sacks in 05.. I’ll take the 5 turnovers and 8 PBUs over the extra tackles & sacks any day!!

If you don’t think stats tell the whole story then do us all a big favor and find 1 pro… Any coach, player, executive or ball boy for crying out loud who thinks that Urlacher isn’t still getting it done!!! Now in 2012 he’ll look even better doing it in his new Nike threads!! But I’m not mad atcha, you’re probably just some GB Peckers fan trying to get under my skin!! Mission accomplished!! See ya in February!!

42. 07vrod says: Apr 4, 2012 10:04 AM

It’s funny how people have put their own expectations on this manufacture change. Folks, this is simply a business contract. The contract between the NFL and Reebok expired. Like any new contract, bids were received and Nike was the highest bidder. They got the contract for this reason only, not because they and the NFL had this master plan of making space aged uniforms. The hoopla surrounding the “new era” is all just PR work generating interest for the fans to go and purchase the same jersey but from a different manufacture. Remember Reebok won that contract after Riddell’s expired…

43. kansacity88 says: Apr 4, 2012 10:53 AM

Wow, I must be a kid at heart then because I am 38 and STILL wear a jersey to the game! That’s cool, say what you like but I don’t get actual player names on my jersey!! What’s the point when they will probably get traded soon? Do what I have been telling numerous people – get one with your OWN name on it, you won’t get traded and you can retire as the same fan as you always have been! As for it being a crime to be in a jersey as an adult, SUE ME!

44. umrguy42 says: Apr 4, 2012 10:59 AM

“According to Nike, this year’s NFL uniforms will also be lighter, will keep the players wearing them cooler, and will stay drier than the materials used on the old uniforms.”

Nike also added that it will save them money on their car insurance.