Robert Griffin III emulates Manning, Brady in fooling defenses

Robert Griffin III of the Baylor Bears Getty Images

Robert Griffin III, Baylor’s Heisman Trophy winner who is expected to become a Washington Redskin as the second overall pick in the NFL draft, has the talent to make plays with pure speed like few quarterbacks in football history. But Griffin wants to make clear that he’s entering the NFL with a plan to use his brain and his arm more than he uses his legs.

During ESPN’s QB Camp session with Jon Gruden, Griffin broke down his own tape of Baylor’s win over Oklahoma, and he seemed particularly proud of a play when he hurried his teammates to the line and quickly called for a snap to catch Oklahoma with 12 men on the field.

“They’ve got a D-lineman running off the field — he’s tired,” Griffin said. “I feel like Peyton Manning and Tom Brady, those guys, when they catch those guys getting off the field they’re like, ‘We need to snap the ball because we’re gonna get five free yards.’”

That was music to the ears of Gruden, who responded, “This gets my motor running. This gets my heart pumping. I love this.”

Griffin emphasized that he views himself as a quarterback who can read defenses and make all the throws, but who just happens to be a former track star who was viewed as a potential Olympic hurdler before he decided to focus full-time on football. When Gruden asked him if he thinks he’ll be the fastest quarterback in NFL history, Griffin answered, “I don’t like talking about myself like that.”

“I can throw with the best of them as well,” Griffin said. “I believe in my arm and I believe I could be a quarterback even if I didn’t have the speed that I do.”

The speed is a nice bonus, but it doesn’t define Griffin as a quarterback.

Permalink 76 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Rumor Mill, Top Stories, Washington Redskins
76 Responses to “Robert Griffin III emulates Manning, Brady in fooling defenses”
  1. cakemixa says: Apr 3, 2012 9:06 AM

This guy sure talks a lot for a rookie who hasn’t played a snap in the NFL. I know it’s a good thing that he’s confident and all, but still…

2. packersareandwillalwaysbebetterthanthebears says: Apr 3, 2012 9:07 AM

Stop the arguement and dumb predictions on who’s going to be better. Let them take the snaps and prove it next year.

3. elmaxoh says: Apr 3, 2012 9:07 AM

Can’t wait to see this kid play

4. jmanorgc says: Apr 3, 2012 9:07 AM

Pure Class this kid has! I look forward to seeing him on Sundays! We need sustainability in Washington and RG3 on film and paper will bring that!

5. amgdds says: Apr 3, 2012 9:08 AM

reel brite gi. hurd he got a 7 on the wundumalic.

–mawrus klayborn

6. portlax12 says: Apr 3, 2012 9:08 AM

Did he just compare himself to Peyton Manning and Tom Brady? I like this kid but you don’t just say that before you even play your first game. Show some respect.

7. pftcensorssuck says: Apr 3, 2012 9:08 AM

Now THIS is a guy I can get behind.

Not a Vince Young, Jamarcus Russell, or Mike Vick.

Here’s a guy who wants to be known for his passing, not his running, and a guy who actually says “I don’t like talking about myself like that.”

Good luck, RG III !

8. skinsfan76 says: Apr 3, 2012 9:08 AM

RG32DC baby!

9. reppster says: Apr 3, 2012 9:09 AM

I can’t wait for the start of the 2012-2013 NFL season to see this guy in action!

10. skinsfan76 says: Apr 3, 2012 9:10 AM

He didn’t compare himself to Manning or Brady. Did you see the interview? My guess is no!

11. reppster says: Apr 3, 2012 9:10 AM

Doubtful he’ll be a Manning or Brady though.

12. biggerballz says: Apr 3, 2012 9:13 AM

well yeah he’s so young he’s not going to say young or montana or aikman.

13. kwgator says: Apr 3, 2012 9:13 AM

RG3 = Akili Smith

14. jdawg111 says: Apr 3, 2012 9:16 AM

I am hoping he does well. He seems like a good all around kid with a good structure. Hoping he has a great career.

15. randomguy9999 says: Apr 3, 2012 9:18 AM

Lol.

The bs just won’t stop coming from this guy…. If you are looking at picking him, you now have to legitimately worry if he’s gonna be a never showing up early, sb promising, prima donna…..

16. sweezz says: Apr 3, 2012 9:18 AM

This just in…. he is unproven in the NFL. Let’s see what happens after his first 3 seasons. Oh and when does Gruden NOT have a boner for a QB?

17. ibottpsgoldpants says: Apr 3, 2012 9:18 AM

If I am Indy, I take RG3. Luck will be expected to be Manning. Too much pressure. RG3 can be himself. And can you imagine someone with his legs playing on that field. Fast!

18. wwwmattcom says: Apr 3, 2012 9:20 AM

I don’t give Gruden credit and don’t respect his opinion as a player analyst. His enthusiasm for every player is just sensationalism at its worst. He is wise not to coach and stick with the easy money having an opinion. He is Oprah of the NFL. No credibility but he has a microphone in his face loves to hear himself talk and thinks other people love it too because of the pay check he gets.

19. truthfactory says: Apr 3, 2012 9:21 AM

1 great year in spread offense vs 3 great years in pro style offense. Gotta go with Luck. NFL will figure this guy out. 2 Yrs ago Vick was an MVP candidate…. Last year he was reduced to a top 15 QB with a .500 record.

Running is built into these guys brains when they start feeling pressure and thats where they will begein to get exposed over time.

Stick with Luck.

20. medialovesthecowboys says: Apr 3, 2012 9:22 AM

As a Cowboy fan, I hope he fails. As a football fan though, I have a feeling he’ll be a great one.

21. savocabol1 says: Apr 3, 2012 9:23 AM

WOW it is real hard to watch game tape when you are not on the field

22. maxpower1912 says: Apr 3, 2012 9:25 AM

@portlax12
    He didn’t compare himself to Manning and Brady, he said “I see these great quarterbacks do X, so that’s what I try to do.” In other words, he’s smart.

23. raiderlyfe510 says: Apr 3, 2012 9:25 AM

He’s going to be a special player.

24. neemdaddy13 says: Apr 3, 2012 9:25 AM

Bust!!! You’re not in the Big 12 anymore big guy.

25. skinsfan87 says: Apr 3, 2012 9:26 AM

this kid will do well… he didn’t compare himself to Brady & Manning, he said I hurry to call a play LIKE Brady & Manning to catch a tired D Linemen on the field….. that’s smart QB play… Looking forward to 10+ healthy years of him in Burgundy & Gold… watchout NFC East… Redskins are rebuilding through the draft!!

26. channel124 says: Apr 3, 2012 9:27 AM

Stop hyping him. Irsay reads this stuff, is compulsive, and likes to drink. If you, Mel and Mayock tell him Luck is the guy he will draft him. Leave it alone. DC wants RG3.

27. mvp43 says: Apr 3, 2012 9:28 AM

This cat’s the real deal…………physically & mentally.

28. sj39 says: Apr 3, 2012 9:30 AM

I will be shocked if Indy passes on this guy to take Luck.

29. jwcarlson says: Apr 3, 2012 9:31 AM

RG3… not just a first round pick. Three first round picks.

30. tundey says: Apr 3, 2012 9:31 AM

He didn’t compare himself to Manning and Brady. He said “I feel like…”. In any case, as long as he’s not comparing himself favorably to those guys, what’s wrong with that? I would rather a QB do that than compare himself to lesser QBs.

31. weepingjebus says: Apr 3, 2012 9:32 AM

Seems like a nice, eager kid. A few patented Redskins 5-11 seasons should scuff the shine off that pretty quick.

32. fatsmcnadds says: Apr 3, 2012 9:32 AM

33. bullybirds says: Apr 3, 2012 9:33 AM

Hopefully the Colts choose correctly.

34. godofwine330 says: Apr 3, 2012 9:34 AM

I can’t wait to see this kid play. I didn’t watch the RG3 session last night. I will try to see the replay.

35. mattsffrd says: Apr 3, 2012 9:34 AM

Not a skins fan but I hope this kid does well, he seems like a rare class act in this league. Cant wait to watch him play.

36. dubdiz12 says: Apr 3, 2012 9:35 AM

portlax12 says:
    Apr 3, 2012 9:08 AM

—————-

He said what he was trying to do wa like something Manning or Brady would. Don’t make comments if you didn’t actually watch it and don’t know what you’re talking about.

37. fatsmcnadds says: Apr 3, 2012 9:35 AM

“Doesn’t” take our guy my bad

38. scottieplongballs says: Apr 3, 2012 9:42 AM

Lots of haters today. I think his biggest attribute will be his brain. He seems smart and willing to work hard and learn. That will be what makes or breaks him. I hope he succeeds.

39. cup1981 says: Apr 3, 2012 9:42 AM

Screw the RGIII topic, what I want to know is WTF is Jon Gruden doing talking about QB skill? What QB has he ever developed??? Hmmm, I can’t think of a single one.

40. jmsincla says: Apr 3, 2012 9:45 AM

I watched that show for the first time last night. Being a Skins fan I thought it’d be worth my time…man was I mistaken. All they did was talk about his socks, a fullback, and then RG3′s dog tags jingled for a good 5 minutes…

41. baddegg says: Apr 3, 2012 9:48 AM

You guys criticizing him for bragging are missing the point. He is saying that he tries to emulate Brady and Manning. This is as opposed to him saying he is trying to emulate Vick or Tim Tebow. In other words, he’s trying to tell you what type of qualities he values in a QB. He doesn’t want to get “typecast” as a “running QB.”

Typically in the media, you see him compared to people like Vick, Cam, etc, but not to white QBSs. Now everyone is slamming him for trying to expand how people look at him…

42. cooklynn17 says: Apr 3, 2012 9:49 AM

Really?

Brady didn’t fool the Giants defense.

43. bullcharger says: Apr 3, 2012 9:52 AM

Both the Colts and Washington need to get better at other positions before they will be able to win and compete in the playoffs. If RGIII has a start close to Cam Newton’s opening season, he will be doing great. Same goes for Luck.

Meeting expectations for me would be over 20 TDs, less than 20 INTs, pushing 400o yards and and not a very good W-L record.

44. jetfuel6 says: Apr 3, 2012 9:53 AM

Really Pulling for this kid. Nothing wrong with getting pointers from the gr8 ones.

45. EJ says: Apr 3, 2012 9:55 AM

If the Colts pass on RGIII for Luck, they will be one sorry franchise. Luck may be the most NFL ready QB coming out of college since Peyton Manning, but I think we have all seen what Andrew Luck will bring to the table… An average to above average arm strength, good accuracy, average speed, but not very elusive, tough, a smart, confident Quarterback who has shown the world what his potential is. Now RGIII, a rocket arm, good to great accuracy, blazing speed with a 5th gear that will keep him elusive for years to come, tough as a RB is, smart confident Quarterback who has a very high ceiling when it comes to potential. With great teaching from his QB coach, I think we will eventually see RGIII pan out to be a combination of Tom Brady’s accuracy, Randall Cunningham’s arm strength, Michael Vick’s athleticism and the stature of Peyton Manning, in other words, the perfect QB.

46. dcapettini says: Apr 3, 2012 9:56 AM

“Hope Springs Eternal in the Human Breast”. RG3 (and/or Andrew Luck) is the second coming. This guy has not played a down of football against pros, but he is sure to lead the team to the promised land. I am old enough to have been around when the last “Sure Thing” came along. I lived in Denver and at the arrival of John Elway the waters of the Platte River parted and Bronco fans were let into Zion. Except, it did not work that way. For all his talents, Elway needed to learn his craft. The team needed to put good players around him. It was quite some time before Denver became successful and that was in an AFC that did not have many good teams.

Don’t you just love this time of year? Its like the fall back in New York when the Dodger fans would all be saying “Wait until next year”.

47. tluke25 says: Apr 3, 2012 9:57 AM

Is it me, or has RG3′s agent been working a lot harder than Luck’s agent? I mean that as a compliment. When neither of these guys had an agent, Luck was “the guy” and RG3 was far from being a household name (even with a Heisman). Once they both had agents, RG3 has stolen every headline and you don’t hear too much about Luck anymore.

48. Exiled1 says: Apr 3, 2012 9:57 AM

fatsmcnadds says:Apr 3, 2012 9:32 AM

———————————————————-
    I’ll try not to be a “hatter” (someone who makes hats perhaps?)

Why would you hope Indy “does take our guy”?

What was your wonderlic score?

49. tennesseeoilers says: Apr 3, 2012 10:07 AM

The Skins have been on the hunt for a franchise quarterback since Theismann broke his leg in ’85. Twenty-seven years is long time for that team’s fans. I mean, fans who are twenty-somethings and thirty-somethings who’ve never seen a franchise QB under center. Incredible. The good news? RGIII may actually prove to have been worth the wait. Congrats Skins fans!

50. skinsfan87 says: Apr 3, 2012 10:07 AM

“fatsmcnadds says: Apr 3, 2012 9:32 AM

All you hatters are either Cleveland brown eye fans or NFC east opponents.I just hope Indy does take our guy!”

I guess you meant… DOESN’T take our guy….

I agree.. the NFCEAST teams are nervous…

51. souldogdave says: Apr 3, 2012 10:09 AM

Smart kid. Under the spotlight, holding his mug ,deserves respect.

52. schmitty2 says: Apr 3, 2012 10:10 AM

cakemixa says: Apr 3, 2012 9:06 AM

Care to expand on that? How exactly is he “talking too much”? He said he was proud that he recognized a situation on the field

53. clubergo says: Apr 3, 2012 10:22 AM

Please Stop using Strahans Dentist.

54. xxwhodatxx says: Apr 3, 2012 10:38 AM

How can anyone take Grudens analysis seriously? He absolutely loves every player who sits with him, it’s disgusting to see a grown man act how he does.

55. anonymouslyanonymouscommentor says: Apr 3, 2012 10:45 AM

Still, Brady and Manning don’t emulate, they innovate and manipulate. If all RGIII has is emulation, he’s no Brady or Manning. What RGIII is describing here is relatively simple – “They’re not ready, let’s get up there and hike it.” You don’t need to be a Tom Brady or a Peyton Manning to have that awareness. As a fan of the NFL, I hope RGIII has those intangibles, because he will be the best dual-threat quarterback ever, by far (2x Cam Newton), but as an Eagles fan, I dread it.

56. joshh967 says: Apr 3, 2012 10:48 AM

Can anyone else not help but to read Gruden’s quote in his voice? or any Gruden quote for that matter.

57. oilers2titans says: Apr 3, 2012 11:13 AM

As a Titan fan I would love for the colts to take the highly overrated RG3years&outtafootball.

58. tatum064 says: Apr 3, 2012 11:15 AM

cakemixa says:
    Apr 3, 2012 9:06 AM
    ========================
    yawn. Tom Brady himself said; If you draft me, you wont regret it.

He backed it up.

Cam Newton backed it up (so far)

Deion Sanders backed it up

RGIII will back it up.

Plenty of guys are confident. It goes with the territory.

59. tatum064 says: Apr 3, 2012 11:16 AM

kwgator says:
    Apr 3, 2012 9:13 AM
    RG3 = Akili Smith

=========

Same thing said about Cam Newton = a lot of people eating crow the following year.

Love when people predict disaster on QBs.

60. mrhney03 says: Apr 3, 2012 11:30 AM

As a Skins fan..this is Music to my ears!

61. fatfreddystubbs says: Apr 3, 2012 11:32 AM

————————————————-
    Good points. And looking at that second paragraph, it’s a good thing he’s not coming to Philly, because he’d have Bernard Hopkins and the head of the local NAACP telling him he’s not black enough.

62. mrgroovesd says: Apr 3, 2012 11:33 AM

I’m liking this guy more and more. I would like to see him succeed in the NFL. Comes from a good family and seems to have his head on straight. Just don’t do well if you play the Chargers.

63. rc33 says: Apr 3, 2012 11:38 AM

Big 12 defenses last year were absolutely horrific, as bad as any conference in recent memory.
    So I’m a little bit leery of the incredible stats RGIII put up.
    That said, this kid is smart, very likeable and I think he’s gonna be very good.
    How soon? Who knows.

64. jasncondit says: Apr 3, 2012 11:42 AM

QUOTE: portlax12 says:
    Apr 3, 2012 9:08 AM

——————————————

Portlax12, he was saying it like he learned from how they do it. So he likes to emulate them. He wasn’t saying he’s going to be Peyton or Tom Brady in every facet, but that he liked to copy how they get a free 5 yards.

65. 1oz1 says: Apr 3, 2012 11:52 AM

As a cowboys fan, I sure wish this kids was not going to the redskins.

66. ballsohardu says: Apr 3, 2012 11:53 AM

Poor colts… As a bills fans it kills me i wanted RG3!! Good for the skins. Sucks to be a colts fan

67. packerfan1000 says: Apr 3, 2012 11:54 AM

————–

To answer your question, no, he didn’t. He says he’s going to try to do something they both do because it’s smart. Stop looking for things to bash the kid about.

68. bodester says: Apr 3, 2012 12:16 PM

Luck will be the bust.

69. ishudbgm says: Apr 3, 2012 12:25 PM

This kid has passed every test with flying colors. I watch the NFL every Sunday and at least half of the QBs in the league do not realize you can get a FREE 5 yards for too many men on the field. Half of them stand and wait or they do not seem to be in a rush. He is watching and trying to learn from the 2 best in the game. This kid is gonna make Washington relevant again.

70. descendency says: Apr 3, 2012 12:28 PM

sweezz says:
    Apr 3, 2012 9:18 AM

————————

When he’s coaching a young QB…

71. fground says: Apr 3, 2012 12:30 PM

Worst game in Viking history?

Hail Mary against Dallas in 75
    OT Loss to Saints in 2009
    OT Loss in OT NFC Championships 1998
    4 blowout Super Bowls?

All wrong – it was the 2011 win at Washington which pushed them to 3rd in the draft and caused them to miss out on Luck or RG3. Oh yeah, they also lost Peterson to an ACL tear in the same game.

72. mjkelly77 says: Apr 3, 2012 12:35 PM

Kid’s a coward who won’t agree to a private audition. The press is building him up into something he isn’t.

73. mjkelly77 says: Apr 3, 2012 12:50 PM

This kid emulates a con artist. He’s a coward and that will be evidenced by this upcoming season.
    Poor Redskins.

74. skin5fan86 says: Apr 3, 2012 1:24 PM

He never said “Hi I’m RGIII, I’m just as good as Peyton Manning and Tom Brady. He said he “feels” like them when he uses his brain. (Something most NFL QB’s don’t do) Read more….

And he didn’t do a private workout with the Colts because obviously he has no interest in them. Who would want to go to a team that is at the bottom of the barrel?

75. skin5fan86 says: Apr 3, 2012 1:26 PM

mjkelly77 says: Apr 3, 2012 12:50 PM

Poor Redskins.
    ——————————————————-
    Troll kid trolls…

76. 7to10for6allday says: Apr 3, 2012 7:15 PM

@skin5fan86

Speaking of bottom of the barrel…..4th place is where you’ll be again. You’ll just be overpaying for your game Tix now.