Ed Reed: I plan on playing, but plans can change

Baltimore Ravens linebacker Lewis lifts up teammate Reed after Reed intercepted the Houston Texans in fourth quarter of their NFL AFC Divisional Playoff football game in Baltimore Reuters

Ravens safety Ed Reed hinted in a recent interview that he’d consider not playing this season if he doesn’t get a new contract.

Reed said on 105.7 The Fan in Baltimore that he currently expects to play for the Ravens in 2012 but isn’t 100 percent certain about that.

“I plan on playing,” Reed said. “Everybody in the world knows plans can change.”

Reed didn’t come right out and say that he doesn’t think the Ravens are showing him enough money or enough respect, but he came close enough that the Ravens’ website published a story about the interview headlined, “Reed: Not getting respect I deserve.”

“I got some unfinished business,” Reed said. “I got a lot on my mind I’ve been thinking about. The truth of the matter is, it’s about respect. It’s about getting respect and it’s a business.”

Reed said he’s “not trying to break the bank” but he also seems to think the $7.2 million he’s scheduled to make in 2012 is insufficient for a player who has done what he has done on the field for the Ravens.

“For what I offer on the football field, for what I give on the football field and for what they know they’re going to get, it’s much more than these young guys out here today and what they’re getting,” Reed said.

Permalink 37 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: Baltimore Ravens, Rumor Mill, Top Stories
37 Responses to “Ed Reed: I plan on playing, but plans can change”
  1. ygkr85 says: Apr 5, 2012 12:25 PM

The franchise tag number for safeties is $6.2M (I think), doesn’t that put Ed in the top 5? (If not higher) You are a baller Ed and have almost all football fan’s respect, but not sure what your looking for dollars-wise…

2. furedmccombs says: Apr 5, 2012 12:26 PM

When you’re young you get paid for what you have done on the field…When you’re old (in terms of football years) you get paid for how much more they think they can get from you on the field.

I know players don’t like it, but it’s a business, and that’s the way it’s run.

3. toddm6d says: Apr 5, 2012 12:26 PM

7.2 million insufficient?

Occupy Ed Reed needs to camp outside this fool’s home.

4. nannymcsack says: Apr 5, 2012 12:26 PM

draft day trad to patriots.

5. jimiinpa says: Apr 5, 2012 12:27 PM

you are how old? how many full seasons have you played?don’t think you can’t be replaced. ask todd heap , matt stover , adalius thomas , chris Mcallister , etc , etc,

6. braven4evr says: Apr 5, 2012 12:27 PM

@Ed Reed: You have been hurt a lot the last few years and you don’t tackle as well as you have in the past. It’s been a while since you’ve played a whole season. With that being said “We love ya” but Ozzie has to take care of the young fellas first and then maybe he can get back to you. Take that $7.2 mil and go play like a Raven. If not, leave it on the table, cause we definately need the cap space and we’ll see you at your HOF induction!

7. Stiller43 says: Apr 5, 2012 12:30 PM

He’a been talking about retiring for the past few years. How bout ya play out the contract you signed a few years ago and see if you still want to play more after thats done?

8. steelcityrapist says: Apr 5, 2012 12:30 PM

It all about $$$$$, sadly

9. pacodawg says: Apr 5, 2012 12:36 PM

Translation. I may need more money, I don’t know what I am going to do after football, I didn’t plan.

10. ravensrooster94 says: Apr 5, 2012 12:36 PM

Here’s a A 33 yrs old with a nagging neck injury that could end his career – or his ability to live a normal life – if he gets hit or goes down the wrong way.

And he feels underpaid at 7.2 mil? I think Reed’s feeling a little neglected with all the talk about Flacco, Rice, Webb, and Williams. Not to mention Jameel McClain.

Ed, my Man……always stirring the pot. Nice way to get Ozzie’s attention, just like you always have.

I’m lovin’ it.

11. amanistumor says: Apr 5, 2012 12:41 PM

jimiinpa says:
    Apr 5, 2012 12:27 PM
    ————————-

You can make a case for all but Stover… I’d bet the farm he’d be ready to kick a game-winng FG and made that it against NE.

12. delsj says: Apr 5, 2012 12:57 PM

You are a 33 year old safety making $7.2M. If that’s not enough respect (i.e. $$$), then maybe you should just take your ball and go home.

I don’t think any GM is going to buy that Ed Reed is as valuable as Peyton Manning arguement.

13. watermelon1 says: Apr 5, 2012 1:00 PM

Bottom line… ERIC WEDDLE SHOULD NO BE GETTING MORE MONEY THAN ED REED.

Is this really the Ravens fault? No… It’s Stupid teams like the chargers who overpay for lesser talent. There was a baseline set with Rees and Polamolu… So there was no excuse for anyone to pay Weddle more than either of those two.

The chargers did, and it ruins everything.

Not to mention… If the ravens are going to pay a Mediocre QB a huge contract when all he did was pretty much sabotage what Reed’s defense had done the past few years… Then Reed should feel disrespected.

I honestly believe this team would be spending their money better in making Rees happy than in extending joe Flacco. And ray rice plays such an easy position to replace, spending on RB doesn’t even make as much sense.

14. mostlombardisintheleague says: Apr 5, 2012 1:00 PM

Hines Ward owns you Reed

15. daytonaken says: Apr 5, 2012 1:06 PM

As a Raven’s fan I feel disrespected by Ed.

16. lolo376 says: Apr 5, 2012 1:08 PM

I agree with Stiller, Reed was thinking about retiring last year until he was told about the guarantee money that he would’ve had to pay back, now he wants a new contract? He’ll be traded

17. JohnnyTwoTimes says says: Apr 5, 2012 1:09 PM

So if you get that money, you’ll be willing to give some back if you cannot play 16 games?

18. sterilizecromartie says: Apr 5, 2012 1:09 PM

Oh, is it already time for Ed Reed’s annual talk of retirement? Man, time flies.

19. 4thquartermagic says: Apr 5, 2012 1:13 PM

Can’t wait ’til he goes all Latrell Spreewell and declares he “can’t feed his children with 7.2 million.”

Reeds a beast but he’s not in his prime anymore and is still getting paid like he is.

20. schrutebeetfarms says: Apr 5, 2012 1:16 PM

Who actually is respected enough in today’s world?

These guys have zero touch with reality. Even though I think Reed is brighter than most.

21. humbleminded85 says: Apr 5, 2012 1:18 PM

The Ravens way of operating has been the same since ’96, its a never changing cycle. Your drafted then paid the usual amount for which that slot in the draft calls for. Then you outplay your rookie contract and get what is the 1 and ONLY big payday you will get from the Ravens which only will come in either the offseason after the last year of your rookie contract or the offseason prior to it. You can’t compare his current yearly wage with other’s simply because the market changes everyday and he agreed to that amount in 2006 for 40 mill knowing that the price could/would go up. Take Ray for example, he went through the same cycle and wanted that “Payday part 2″ aka “respect in the form of money” contract that the Ravens were simply not about to do. So Ray voiced his displeasure and even stated that he would play for other teams(Dallas) but at the end of the day no one was gonna pay him at that age the amount he thought he should get. I suspect the Reed situation to play out the same way but who knows.

22. askbri says: Apr 5, 2012 1:29 PM

Pay Reed some cash, please!

Anyone who says he doesn’t deserve the money needs to quit their whining, and go get a better job!

Ed Reed is worth every penny he can squeeze!

23. KIR says: Apr 5, 2012 1:33 PM

You people don’t know football. Show me one team that has been able to replace a Pro Bowl safety like Ed Reed. Recent teams without great safeties. Look what happened to Philly when they released Brian Dawkins. Look what happened to Green Bay without Nick Collins

24. andyreiddoublecheeseburger says: Apr 5, 2012 1:45 PM

Come on Ed, don’t turn into a Farve or Parcells. Play it out; when you’re done, go home.

25. yojoemama says: Apr 5, 2012 1:46 PM

Mark my words.. this will be Reed’s last good year of playing at an elite level. After this, it’s all downhill for him. If they don’t win it all this year, I don’t think they will for a long time to come.

26. dawhorsefeathers says: Apr 5, 2012 1:53 PM

Do you want a ring or not, Ed? If so, take your $7.2M and play.

27. ravenator says: Apr 5, 2012 1:57 PM

Reed > Polamalu

28. unlimitedcriticism says: Apr 5, 2012 2:08 PM

@watermelon1 “Bottom line… ERIC WEDDLE SHOULD NO BE GETTING MORE MONEY THAN ED REED.”

Actually, there are several people out there in the world of football punditry that think Weddle’s passed Reed both on the field and in the wallet. And he’s younger and healthier.

29. jimiinpa says: Apr 5, 2012 2:09 PM

Reed > Polamalu :/ how can you compare the two , they play different possitions

30. Grulks says: Apr 5, 2012 2:12 PM

I’m neither a fan or a hater of the Ravens, but I do love Ed Reed. He has been without a doubt one of the best safeties in the NFL for his entire career. This is tremendous praise, considering that he has played during the tenure of (no order here) Kerry Rhodes, Rod Woodson, Darren Woodson, Troy, Darren Sharper, and John Lynch.

That being said, you’re being paid OVER the franchise tender for safety, and this in the waning years of your career. If that’s being disrespected, I suggest you get your teammates to back your cause, by asking them to take a haircut so you can stay on board. If you’re correct, they’ll gladly do so.

31. st1llerz1 says: Apr 5, 2012 2:41 PM

Nope, there’s never any drama in baltimore. The organization is a well-oiled machine that just keeps on cranking out Super Bowl victories…..

What’s that you said Flacco? How’s that Rice? What are you squeeking about Reed?

ROFLMFAO

Get your popcorn kids, the show is just getting started!

GO STEELERS!

32. captjackwagon says: Apr 5, 2012 3:03 PM

My thoughts are this:
    You signed the contract, fulfill your obligation. Period.
    If you feel that you are worth more money, when you are negotiating for your next contract, you will be able to present your case then.
    2011 Stats:
    3 INT
    1 FF
    1 Sack
    52 Tackles

Not sure how you would break the 7.2 million down, but seems like allot per the above stats.

33. ravensrooster94 says: Apr 5, 2012 3:06 PM

@ jimiinpa says:
    Reed > Polamalu :/ how can you compare the two , they play different posiitions:

Agreed. I’ve always said that Troy is a SS who plays like a linebacker and Ed is a FS who plays like a wideout.

Two positions, two awesome ballers and Future HOF’ers.

34. sterilizecromartie says: Apr 5, 2012 3:18 PM

KIR says:
    Apr 5, 2012 1:33 PM
    ————
    What’s your point? Pay him whatever he wants because they can’t replace him right away? Nobody here is saying the guy is a bum. I think most people are saying he is getting paid what he deserves… which is a price over the franchise tag for his position. Sounds like the right amount of money to me.

35. peytonsneck18 says: Apr 5, 2012 3:20 PM

Peyton says….Reed wth yr neck injury u can still get paid, look how I swindled those foolish Broncos or horse faced Mr.EDway, get that paper son!!!

36. jsrdc says: Apr 5, 2012 3:36 PM

Reed,

As awesome a safety as you are (and a future lock for the HOF) this is all about what have you done for me lately. You have been paid handsomely for your previous years, and you have produced. But you are old (in terms of a S in this league) and entering the twilight of your career. All good things must come to an end, and that end is near for you. Your current deal of 6 yrs, 44.4 million is a lot of respect, IMO. Now that you are in the last year of your deal, and stand to earn 7.2 million, that isn’t enough, and here you are making soft threats. You knew Webb was up for a large payday, and now that it is a reality, you want yours. Webb is a stud, and is going to be 27 years old in October. You also are a stud, but will be 34 in September. It is time for you to forget about bigger money or any form of extension. You think 4 to 5 years is a reality for you to continue playing? Really? That opportunity is over. At the end of the day, you won’t get the “respect” you think you are due. It is all about $, it is a business, and you are not a good business decision any more. I hope to see you playing this year, but it will likely be your last year in a Raven uniform.

37. getgnarly88 says: Apr 5, 2012 5:28 PM

i love Ed on the feild but these kind of selfish comments every offseason for the past 3 years is really getting old, to me its obvious hes lost a step, half ass arm wiff tackles and only 3 int’s last year (noted that most dont throw his way/are intimidated to). granted the ravens are way better off with him on the feild than not but theyre 1.7 mil under the cap before the webb signing and still have to get deals done with rice, flacco and sign their draft class, shows how much he really wants that ring…