Reinstatement suddenly becomes a tougher task for Gregg Williams

yahoo_greggwilliamsskins Getty Images

The league may have been aware of audio from Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams, taken from comments made the night before the Saints faced the 49ers in the 2011 divisional playoffs.  But the public wasn’t.

And now that the public is, the chances of Williams ever coaching again in the NFL have surely plummeted.

Technically, Williams has been suspended for the 2012 season, and his status will be reconsidered after the season ends.  The league has announced that Commissioner Roger Goodell “will give close attention to the extent to which Coach Williams cooperates with the NFL in any further proceedings,” which presumably means that the league will be asking Williams to testify at the appeal hearings filed on behalf of the players who inevitably will be suspended.  (There’s also a chance Williams shows up and testifies at Thursday’s appeal hearings.)

This means that, to secure Williams’ full cooperation during the hearings, he must believe that he has a chance to be reinstated.  Even if, as a result of the audio, he doesn’t.

The fact that the Rams haven’t fired him (yet) adds to the allure of the carrot that will entice Williams to testify, even if such testimony against players results in players not wanting to play for him.  But how can the Rams continue to keep Williams on the books in light of the things he said in January 2012, when he knew that the NFL once again was investigating the team’s use of bounties?

Two weeks ago, Rams coach Jeff Fisher said that he wouldn’t have hired Williams if Fisher had known about the looming suspension.  At the time, few supplied the obvious response:  Now that you know, why haven’t you fired him?

That question could become even more prevalent now, and it’s harder than ever to imagine anyone ever hiring Williams to work in the NFL again.

Permalink 74 Comments Feed for comments Latest Stories in: New Orleans Saints, Rumor Mill, St. Louis Rams, Top Stories
74 Responses to “Reinstatement suddenly becomes a tougher task for Gregg Williams”
  1. cesquire says: Apr 5, 2012 11:11 AM

He said “I got the first one” and rubbed his fingers together to indicate that he’d be paying the first bounty. I wonder who was going to pay the second and third bounties? Vilma?

2. nflofficeadmin says: Apr 5, 2012 11:13 AM

Greg Williams, Jerry Sandusky, Andy Reid. Terrible year for coaches.

3. nyyjetsknicks says: Apr 5, 2012 11:14 AM

Greg Williams and I have something in common, neither of us will ever coach in the NFL again.

4. farmmbig says: Apr 5, 2012 11:15 AM

Saints fans– I dare you to defend this guy and the people allowing this crap to exist for multiple years (Payton and Loomis).

5. andrejohnsonforpresident says: Apr 5, 2012 11:15 AM

I feel like a life time ban is coming. After hearing that Audio… Teach everyone else coming into the NFL a lesson. Pull this off and don’t come back!

6. mrnick66 says: Apr 5, 2012 11:15 AM

williams will never coach in the nfl again,any chance he had is now gone!!!! having said that as a brett farve hater ,i have to say when the saints knocked him out in 2009 i was very happy!!!!!

7. 28loose says: Apr 5, 2012 11:16 AM

Good riddance. The NFL is a better place without him.

8. seatownballers says: Apr 5, 2012 11:16 AM

Suspended indefinitely= forever

9. sj39 says: Apr 5, 2012 11:18 AM

I don’t think the Rams need the baggage, they should fire him now. I do feel bad for the guy though. Other than being stupid (he and all the coaches should have stopped when they knew they were caught and not been so cavalier about it lying and all) we all know this has been going on since before he was born. Now he will be lucky to coach high school while other coaches pretend they don’t encourage hurting opponents and skate along.

10. sparty0n says: Apr 5, 2012 11:18 AM

Williams should just focus on being college coach and never look back

11. sepl12 says: Apr 5, 2012 11:19 AM

I don’t think this goes far enough, how can any football team at any level ever higher him? If your a parent would you want your child playing for this guy at the high school or college level?

12. blahblah1000 says: Apr 5, 2012 11:20 AM

1. Football is played by MEN!

2. The speech would have been fine without the mention of specific injury.

3. Roger G keep it up, pretty soon their will be NO reason to have DEFENSE.

4. Football scores will soon be 80 – 60…that is the new NFL hut-hut.

13. indywilson40 says: Apr 5, 2012 11:21 AM

Gregg Williams is a prime example of a chubby, dough boy with man boobs that has never put on a jock strap, but is a real “tough guy” from the sidelines.

14. jonasgrumbyoftx says: Apr 5, 2012 11:22 AM

EVEN if they let him coach, who would hire him? The problem would be that players wouldn’t trust him after a year of testifying against coaches and players.

I’m not at all advocating for him, quite the contrary. I’m just looking at the practical aspect and it doesn’t look good for him.

15. turtlehut says: Apr 5, 2012 11:22 AM

16. erod22 says: Apr 5, 2012 11:23 AM

Meanwhile, 31 defensive coordinators around the league are scared out of their minds.

17. jade amor says: Apr 5, 2012 11:26 AM

sepl12 says: Apr 5, 2012 11:19 AM

_________________________________

I would rather my child play for him, rather than my child play against him, lol…

18. mcjon22 says: Apr 5, 2012 11:27 AM

It’s one thing to hypothetically say ‘take this guy out’, it’s another thing to say’ take Crabtrees ACL out’. This guy should never be allowed to coach football at any level, again.

19. xpensivewinos says: Apr 5, 2012 11:27 AM

I hope this mind-numbingly arrogant schmuck gets buried once and for all.

Getting banned by the NFL is the least of his worries. If he didn’t piss his money away, he should have made more than enough to live on for the rest of his life.

What he needs to worry about are the lawsuits that seem inevitable. He was looking to end careers. Aside from the irony of ending his own, he’s going to find himself right in the middle of another huge s***storm very soon.

20. TSizzleBallSoHard says: Apr 5, 2012 11:27 AM

After listening to that audio I think he’s done.

21. skol77 says: Apr 5, 2012 11:28 AM

Rather my kid play for him than against him.

22. JohnnyTwoTimes says says: Apr 5, 2012 11:28 AM

nflofficeadmin

What does Andy Reid have to do with any of this?

23. rayray58 says: Apr 5, 2012 11:29 AM

what”s the big deal ?

24. expertop says: Apr 5, 2012 11:29 AM

The audio really brings home what the guy was doing. While it was disgusting, at least he’s owning it and being accountable to the league for his past conduct – and his future conduct, assuming he’ll want to be reinstated.

The same can’t be said for Payton, Loomis or Benson.

25. solgoode says: Apr 5, 2012 11:30 AM

I don’t think he will testify at any time. Anything he says can, and will be used against him, if there are any further actions against him i.e. civil trials, etc.

26. whatnojets says: Apr 5, 2012 11:30 AM

Hmmm… “Fighting Irish”?????

I’ve got to go, Rock. It’s all right. I’m not afraid. Some time, Rock, when the team is up against it, when things are going wrong and the breaks are beating the boys, tell them to go in there with all they’ve got and win just one for the Gipper. I don’t know where I’ll be then, Rock. But I’ll know about it, and I’ll be happy.”

27. vdaigglesfan says: Apr 5, 2012 11:30 AM

nflofficeadmin says:
    Apr 5, 2012 11:13 AM
    Greg Williams, Jerry Sandusky, Andy Reid. Terrible year for coaches.

*********************************************
    Andy Reid? Let me guess, his kids’ legal problems. You cannot be serious putting it with Williams alleged professional misconduct. And you insult Sandusky’s alleged victims by even trying to make the point. You ought be ashamed.

28. olcap says: Apr 5, 2012 11:32 AM

No one involved in this atrocity should EVER be allowed to participate in anything run by the NFL, period, but Williams especially!

29. PFTiswhatitis says: Apr 5, 2012 11:34 AM

FIX the fricken thumbs up/down thing already!

30. spartyfi says: Apr 5, 2012 11:35 AM

sepl12: as a parent I definitely wouldn’t want you teaching my kid to write or spell.

31. thcnote says: Apr 5, 2012 11:35 AM

I don’t care how many people/ players say this happens all the time. When I hear someone say let’s see how good he is when we take out his ACL I want that guy out of football for good. There is no place for people who want to end careers just to have a better chance to win a game. How would you feel if it was your favorite player who got his ACL taken out?

32. bigperm33 says: Apr 5, 2012 11:35 AM

whoever leaked this video or sent it to the NFL likely did a great deal of damage to all those in-game videos we love of coaches mic’d up, of players mid’d up. not defending williams one bit, but if you were a coach, wouldn’t you now be worried that something you said in the heat of a game could get played and get you in big trouble – whether it was excitement about a big hit or something unrelated to this issue completely. when you are given permission to shoot video for a specific reason, and you decide to use that video for another purpose, it may be the right thing in the moment, but may be a bad idea for the big picture.

33. j0esixpack says: Apr 5, 2012 11:37 AM

Since I expect Williams is now looking at a lifetime ban maybe the Department of Defense might hire him as a motivational speaker in their highly touted Bounty Program targeting known terrorists?

Could be a win win for all involved.

34. kathyisintheroom says: Apr 5, 2012 11:37 AM

A few accurate comments regarding this “bountygate” crapola.

Everyone commenting on why they think the Saints and the coaches should be severely punished are just haters who would not be saying the same things if it were their team involved.

Every team does something similar in some way or another.(even college programs-YES THEY DO)

Maybe Williams should be severely disciplined, but Sean, Joe, Micky, and the organization should not be penalized so harshly.

Hell, Benson did not even know about this stuff, and its proven he ordered the staff to stop if they were doing anything, so why is the team losing picks?

The Patriots only lost a LOW 1st round pick, and slapped the billfold of Greedy Bobby Kraft. The league didn’t suspend Belicheat.

As far as the suddenly “new” audio tape goes: I didn’t hear one word offering money, and I have heard high school coaches say worse things to their teams than what I heard on that tape.

Bernard Pollard is right.
    Goodell has gone way overboard in turning this game and league into a flag football league.

Defensive players cant breathe on the QB, they must make a reservation to touch a WR, and they must get prior permission to make a tackle.

35. truninerfan49 says: Apr 5, 2012 11:37 AM

Lifetime ban isn’t enough. The NFL needs to also strip his pension.

36. deadmanwalking47 says: Apr 5, 2012 11:37 AM

nflofficeadmin says: Apr 5, 2012 11:13 AM

Greg Williams, Jerry Sandusky, Andy Reid. Terrible year for coaches.
    _____________________________________
    I Hate the eagles with a passion,but there is no way andy reid should be in this group of guys with a child molester and somebody that motivates players by illegal bounties!

37. daknight93 says: Apr 5, 2012 11:39 AM

welcome to the new world order of football under roger rabbitt…TFL=Touch Football League

38. expertop says: Apr 5, 2012 11:40 AM

Hey, where’s Darren Sharper today? Anyone heard from him?

39. 305fan says: Apr 5, 2012 11:40 AM

this scumbag should get the Pete Rose treatment.

40. kathyisintheroom says: Apr 5, 2012 11:40 AM

nflofficeadmin says:
    Apr 5, 2012 11:13 AM
    Greg Williams, Jerry Sandusky, Andy Reid. Terrible year for coaches.

*****************************

Are you freakin kidding?

Associating that sicko Sandusky in with Reid and even Williams you show just how disturbed you are.

Please go get some professional help.

41. kronix7 says: Apr 5, 2012 11:41 AM

Just one word.. “ouch” well Saints* that were screaming where’s the proof? There ya go..

42. randomguy9999 says: Apr 5, 2012 11:42 AM

if anybody in any sport ever deserved a life ban, it’s Williams….

the people who should really be sweating it are the players…. they actually perpetrated the assaults, devised or executed methods to cause injury, received the money, covered up the existence, conspired to create and execute the scheme…

how do those actions compare to all the bannings in baseball and other sports for simple association to gamblers?

the hammer is coming any minute… and it will not be pretty…… but its the right thing to do.

43. reed20ravens says: Apr 5, 2012 11:42 AM

maybe the skins wont get luck/griffin III in the draft

44. jason1980 says: Apr 5, 2012 11:43 AM

Yada, yada, yada…….let’s get on with the season. The Saints are still better than 30 or 31 of the teams in the NFL.

45. truthassassin says: Apr 5, 2012 11:44 AM

I’m not a Skins fan, but what is up with PFT always slamming the Redskins?? With this picture it almost feels like they’re trying to get the Redskins in trouble… Why not have him in his Saints outfit since that’s the main topic of discussion? I’ll expect to see him in a Bills outfit in the next article…

46. daknight93 says: Apr 5, 2012 11:44 AM

roger goodell works for owners=owners wanna sell tickets

defenses don’t sell tickets
    need to dismantle defenses

offense sells tickets= goodell wants to turn the
    league into arena football soon

47. clownsfan says: Apr 5, 2012 11:44 AM

This guy was never coming back. Why Tom Benson hasn’t “cleaned house” is the biggest mystery to me. He was blatantly lied to by his GM & HC. How can he ever trust these 2 again? Why would you continue to pay millions to 2 sorry liars? I don’t get it.

48. biggerballz says: Apr 5, 2012 11:45 AM

amazing thath this scumbag still has a job, tells you enough about the rams ownership

49. j0esixpack says: Apr 5, 2012 11:46 AM

Can we find out which Saints coaches beyond Williams were in the locker room at that time and heard that “speech”?

50. antispy3 says: Apr 5, 2012 12:08 PM

Just heard the audio of Gregg Williams the Saturday prior to the Sanits-49ers tilt.

Wow! Then when Hugh douglas of BSPN wouldn’t clarify the refrences to targeting Crabtree’s ACL, Vernon Davis’ ankle, Alex Smith’s chin & Williams concussion situation it seemed this play turned analyst is pining to don the pass once again (not gonna happen)

After Darren Woodson diffferentiated between targeting body parts & coachspeak hyperbole (take out the head & the body will fall) it put things into perspective.

One thing neither former play turned analyst failed to charaterize; ALL players are involved in their livelihood that for most will be the prime source of income for their lives. Many of these players will never realize the potential to make money of this nature & fend for their famalies for the remainder of their lives; their formative years.

Supposedly there’s a “fraternity” of players. I realize intimmidation, competition & gamesmanship come into play but players are to hit each other LEGALLY as hard as possible in order to “manipulate” or “coerce” their opponents into a performance more reminiscent of defeat than putting out the effort to win. That is what competition on the football field is all about; anything other than that is assault with intent to do bodily harm.

Which opens that can of worms of alleged criminal charges, which seems the coaches behavior can be linked to (conspiratory behavior, like a mob boss). . .

51. manhorse69 says: Apr 5, 2012 12:10 PM

“The speech would have been fine without the mention of specific injury”

Uhhhh. Said the drunk driver: My ride home would have been fine if I hadn’t run that guy over.

Really? But he DID mention specifically injuring more than one player so it’s NOT fine. Nobody can possibly defend the guy now. Not even the “Goodell is ruining the league” crowd.

52. brianbosworthisstonecold says: Apr 5, 2012 12:13 PM

Gregg Williams is still waiting for a Dancing With The Stars opening.

53. marcinhouston says: Apr 5, 2012 12:14 PM

The obvious conclusion is that Williams has the dirt of Fisher too, and Fisher does not want to end up under the bus for doing the same thing as Payton when Williams was his DC with the Titans.

54. mikexzilla says: Apr 5, 2012 12:15 PM

i had sympathy for this guy when he was first suspended, but after hearing the audio clip i hope he never returns to the NFL, i can deal with the 1,000 bucks for a Pick 6 or even a sack but when were talking about tearing peoples ACLs and giving people concussions thats despicable.

55. rexismybff says: Apr 5, 2012 12:16 PM

OK – how soon is too soon to start saying “Bountygate overload”???

I get it – guys like to try to injure other guys. It’s been going on a long time. The first “Bountygate” investigation was when Teddy Roosevelt demanded a ban on gang tackling from the “Big Three” schools (Harvard, Yale and Princeton) in 1906 to cut down on the deaths and brutality.

Godell needs to either get serious, and investigate all 32 teams for encouraging and demanding needless injuries, or get the hell off the front page of my sports section. Based on his background, I assume that he’ll choose the latter course of action, and implement a great big “evidence burning party” very soon.

56. nineroutsider says: Apr 5, 2012 12:16 PM

Like I said already, he sucks at coaching…he can’t scheme! He’s not a coach, but a motivator. I wouldn’t want him even if he was allowed back and I had the 32nd ranked D. I’d rather find someone who knows defensive scheme. They went with a different approach in Nola and they will pay for it.

57. uslim2nun says: Apr 5, 2012 12:17 PM

He sounds like a cult leader in the audio i.e. Jim Jones….yuck its wierd

58. whyamiacowboysfanagain says: Apr 5, 2012 12:42 PM

My original thought upon hearing this fiasco was, “So what,” it’s FOOTBALL. Guys like Tatum, Butkus, Lott, Taylor, Ray Lewis, etc… would try and KILL opposing players regardless, but upon hearing the audio tape, I gotta say, I feel a little bit differently. It seems …..kinda dirty, to be honest. Definately not a place in today’s game. Just my humble opinion.

59. kozmo50 says: Apr 5, 2012 12:43 PM

“Was that wrong”? “Should I not have done that”? “I tell you, I gotta plead ignorance on this thing, because if anyone had said anything to me at all when I first started here that that sort of thing is frowned upon… you know, cause I’ve worked in a lot of offices, and I tell you, people do that all the time”.

60. propertyofthebroncos says: Apr 5, 2012 12:53 PM

manhorse69: thank you for setting that moron straight.

61. sj39 says: Apr 5, 2012 12:54 PM

biggerballz says:
    Apr 5, 2012 11:45 AM

He’s not being paid you dolt, hasn’t been part of one snap or even a practice with the Rams. The Rams can wait and see, if he gets a life time ban the Rams won’t have to do anything and Fisher doesn’t have to fire his friend, if reinstated they can decide then if it’s worth the baggage or not (I don’t think it is). Think McFly, think!

62. granadafan says: Apr 5, 2012 12:54 PM

“turtlehut says: Apr 5, 2012 11:22 AM
    Nobody died, so the fine people of Louisiana say “No Harm No Foul” (and he helped us win a Lombardi Trophy!)”
    ==============================================

This is the same type of attitude deep in SEC territory that allows this type of behavoir to run rampant, all in the name of win-at-all-costs. The SEC is known to be the dirtiest conference in all of the NCAA and “schools” allow bribery, criminals, and all sorts of rule breaking to keep functionally illiterate kids on the team as long as they can produce.

63. pmars64 says: Apr 5, 2012 1:01 PM

As a Saints fan, I can’t defend what Williams, et al, did. What I will say is that I think these guys are being used as whipping posts. It’s not like the Saints are the only team to use bounties. Bounties have been a part of the game for a long time. Players are taught how to injure in nearly all levels of football. It’s a brutal and ruthless game played by, coached by, managed by, owned by, and followed by brutal and ruthless people. I’m not a violent person. I don’t believe in guns. I’ve never raised my hand to my wife or son. I think wars are solely about someone’s profit. But I’m ruthless as a fan. If the Saints needed to clobber Favre to win, then I’m totally fine with it. It’s what any other defense would do to win a championship. If the roles were reserved, the Vikings would have done the same thing.

I think it’s righteous hypocrisy to blast the Saints when in virtually any NFL game, someone is trying to injure someone else. If you think your team hasn’t tried, go back and look at their past games and tell me they haven’t tried.

Certainly Goodell and the owners don’t care about player safety. Why aren’t there automatic suspensions for players and coaches when there is an obvious attempt to injure. For instance, how many times do we see players launch themselves head first? It’s an act intended to injure, but while the league fine players for this act, they don’t get automatic suspensions. Also, if Goodell and the owners really cared about the players, why don’t the players have lifetime health benefits? Aren’t the owners and the league going to fight former players in the lawsuit over head injuries?

This all about PR and the risk to profits for this kind of bad PR. And the Saints are the whipping post. If you think your team hasn’t had players trying to injure opposing players, you’re a fool.

64. robert831 says: Apr 5, 2012 1:25 PM

Saints all got off easy for lying cheaters with a tainted championship… They should have lost at least 3 first round picks & possibly 3 years of franchise tags, one for each year we have confirmation they intentionally cheated & lied. Williams should be banned for life.

65. wipackman1265 says: Apr 5, 2012 1:30 PM

DO NOT EXCUSE ONE of these people in the Saints organization.

They are lucky in my opinion they are not banned from the league forever !!!

New Orleans Saints = Arrogant – Dirty sum biatches

66. erictheclown says: Apr 5, 2012 1:43 PM

Adversity doesn’t build character, it reveals it.

Taints and fans showing true colors!
    Priceless

67. 16x8equal49ers says: Apr 5, 2012 1:54 PM

And Pete Rose welcomes his new neighbor [Williams] with open arms.

68. hugejazz says: Apr 5, 2012 2:35 PM

blahblah1000 says:Apr 5, 2012 11:20 AM

1. Football is played by MEN!

2. The speech would have been fine without the mention of specific injury.

3. Roger G keep it up, pretty soon their will be NO reason to have DEFENSE.

4. Football scores will soon be 80 – 60…that is the new NFL hut-hut.

blahblah100 = idiot

69. dpinchot says: Apr 5, 2012 3:01 PM

If I was GW, I would sue the crap out of the NFL.

70. CKL says: Apr 5, 2012 3:13 PM

@kathyisintheroom,

If belicheat (gotta love an epithet like that and all that scorn that accompanies it coming from a Saints fan right now) had lied to RG and tried to cover up what he did, he would have gotten suspended too. You ought to thank him. If it weren’t for his trading with the Saints last year, your 1st rounder would have been gone this year and you wouldn’t have Ingram

71. 28purple4mvp says: Apr 5, 2012 3:16 PM

To the people defending him and his actions. WOW just plain WOW

72. entmd says: Apr 5, 2012 3:37 PM

All of you that are sooo outraged should never watch football again. Otherwise – zip it! This is the game you support. You could hear the same exact thing in EVERY locker room.

73. commandercornpone says: Apr 5, 2012 5:03 PM

the nfl is juggling concussion lawsuits. that is the rationale for hanging williams. bounty gate wont hurt ticket sales much.

and williams has apparently left a bread crumb trail of evidence too large to ignore.

he better look for a media job or a coaching gig in college.

the release of that audio isnt going to get him to say anything else. he has said it all. he cant walk the cat back on this one. he is done in the pros.

74. subseaservices says: Apr 6, 2012 1:10 AM

Makes me wonder if criminal charges will be filed against this clown.